Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Wrapping an image on an FBX object

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

TonyLewis

Wrapping an image on an FBX object

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 6:55 pm

Let me pre-apologize for asking for help, but a couple of searches on this forum and Google did not reveal the answer I am looking for. Perhaps there is not one.

I have two FBX files that were produced for the same object (a vehicle). The two FBX files were generated by different sources, and are not simply two copies of the same FBX file, from a common object.

In FBX model file 1, there is the following sequence of nodes that works perfectly:

loader/image > texture 2D > material (blinn) >FBX mesh 3D > transform 3D

This takes the 2D jpg image from the loader node and "wraps" it around the appropriate part, and displays and renders as expected.

Duplicating (as far as I know, I may have one or more settings that are 'off') this sequence of nodes in the second FBX model file does not (apparently) wrap the same part/frame with the image, as the jpg file is not shown when the part is displayed. As far as I can tell, the part (in this case, a taillight) is the same for both FBX models, but I have not verified yet.

Page 176 of "Digital Compositing with Blackmagic Fusion" implies that a UV 3D map node needs to be installed between the FBX mesh 3d node and a Merge 3D node, but that seems to have no effect on the second FBX model, and the first model does not have a UV 3D map node.

If someone can suggest a reference (article, web page, youtube video) that clarifies the correct sequence of nodes and any important node settings that will allow for a jpg image to be 'wrapped' around a 3D FBX mesh object, I would be appreciative.
I7 @3.6mhz, 32G RAM, W7100 GPU, Intensity Pro 4K capture and display card
Resolve Studio, Fusion Studio, After Effects
Windows 10 Pro x64

michael vorberg

Re: Wrapping an image on an FBX object

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 8:21 pm

if the models are from different source maybe one has UV maps with it and the other not.

the UV Map node can do some basic UV projection/unwrapping and after that you could apply your material with the texture:

Code: Select all
loader/image --> texture 2D --> material (blinn)  |
                                                  |
                 FBX mesh 3D --> UV map --> replace material -->transform 3D

but i guess you need also to replace the UVs on both models to make them look the same

TonyLewis

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 9:22 pm

Thanks I will give that a try.

The basic structure of the two FBX models is somewhat different. The first model (that "works" with the jpg image) is structured with multiple materials feeding into one FBX mesh 3D. The second model (which is much more detailed and looks much better after rendering) consists of 100+ FBX mesh 3D nodes feeding into a single 3D merge node. Possibly the FBX files were generated by two different programs<?>
Windows 10 Pro x64

Wojtek G

PostSat Jan 12, 2019 12:45 pm

Weather those models were created in two different pieces of software or not, doesn't matter really. What matters is that one model has UVs that correspond with the texture and the other doesn't. More likely that high detailed model doesn't have proper Uvs at all. I don't think Fusion have tools to alter UVs. UV Map node only replaces existing UVs with some predefined projections like spherical planar, cubic etc. Those projections won't work with Texture that have carefully painted elements meant to be at certain areas of 3d mesh.
Here is an example of the same model, using the same images as textures but with different UVs
Attachments
uv2.jpg
uv2.jpg (65.81 KiB) Viewed 2208 times
uv1.jpg
uv1.jpg (56.1 KiB) Viewed 2208 times

TonyLewis

PostTue Jan 15, 2019 5:44 pm

Problem solved.

The other posters were correct. My "free" copy of the FBX model cost me quite a bit of time to fix. Effectively, the original FBX model had no UV maps, so I could not apply the texture to the frame.

I imported the FBX model into Clara.io and did all the desired modifications there, and then imported back into Fusion.
Windows 10 Pro x64

Return to Fusion