Resolve 15 Stills NVidia Cards & Mojave

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Glenn Kaufmann

Resolve 15 Stills NVidia Cards & Mojave

PostSat Jan 12, 2019 3:27 pm

Dear All,

Hoping to source a bit of help here.

I'm using DaVinci Resolve 15 to edit a sound/image slide show with audio imported as a WAV file and still images (JPEGS).

As of a week ago it was playing images and fades between slides/images smoothly.

God help me, I upgraded to Mojave, and today everything is really fragmented and stuttery and my frame rate is all over the place.

Oddly, other stills and sound project seems to play fine, as do al of my video projects.

And, strangest of all, If I render out the stuttery project, it plays fine as a video. So, I'm wondering if it's just a playback issue with tat project.

I tried creating a new project and using the same image files, but had the same problem.

I've heard that the problem could be the NVdia card not being supported under Mojave. But, if that were the problem, wouldn't it be an issue on all my still and video projects?

Is it just a playback issue? Do I need more RAM?

Is there any hope for fixing this?

Naturally I have a deadline coming up. Sadly, I had no choice but to upgrade my OS.

Thanks in advance for your help (or offering your condolences).

Cheers.

-GK

P.S.

I'm running:

DaVinci 15.0.0.088

IMAC (2012)
OS10.14 (Mojave)
3.4 Ghz Intel Core i7
16GB RAM

Graphics - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675 MX 1024 MB
Last edited by Glenn Kaufmann on Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Carsten Sellberg

Re: Resolve 15 Stils NVidia Cards & Mojave

PostSat Jan 12, 2019 4:00 pm

Hi.

First I have to say that I know noting about MAC.
But you write that you have a deadline and I remember that I read something about Mojave and nVidea Cards. I goole it and found this link:

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/11/01/nv ... e-drivers/

I hope it can help you until some other forum members with MAC knowledge cas answer you.

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

Uli Plank

Re: Resolve 15 Stills NVidia Cards & Mojave

PostSun Jan 13, 2019 2:54 am

Well, condolences from a Mac user here. Don't use Mojave with Nvidia. Period.

There are quite a few other problems with Mojave too. What has forced you to switch to Mojave? It's so easy to make another boot system for a Mac on a separate disk to try new software or switch when needed. Personally, I went back to High Sierra for serious work even if I don't have an Nvidia GPU.

BTW, your GPU is underpowered for anything but SD, maybe 'small' HD 1280 x 720.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Glenn Kaufmann

PostSun Jan 13, 2019 10:20 am

Uli Plank wrote:Well, condolences from a Mac user here. Don't use Mojave with Nvidia. Period.

There are quite a few other problems with Mojave too. What has forced you to switch to Mojave? It's so easy to make another boot system for a Mac on a separate disk to try new software or switch when needed. Personally, I went back to High Sierra for serious work even if I don't have an Nvidia GPU.

BTW, your GPU is underpowered for anything but SD, maybe 'small' HD 1280 x 720.

Thanks, Uli.

I had some other software that promised to, and doe run better on Mojave. Plus I do like a few of the desktop bells and whistles (dark mode) on Mojave. but plan to downgrade to High Sierra.

As for the GPU, I don't have the funds for a new card, and imagine that putting a new card on a 2012 machine is probably a bit of lipstick on a pig.

I'm going to up my overall system RAM. Is there any way to use that to aid thew weak GPU?

More than anything I'm wondering if this problem is not something in the project settings though. I say that because I was using the same card before the "upgrade" to Mojave, and old projects with still still work fine, as do all Resolve video projects (even a video render/export of this problem project). It's really just playback of stills in this one project.

Thanks again for any and all help.

Uli Plank

PostSun Jan 13, 2019 12:00 pm

Glenn Kaufmann wrote:I'm going to up my overall system RAM. Is there any way to use that to aid thew weak GPU?

While 16 GB won't hurt, they can't help the GPU, it has its own dedicated VRAM. If it worked before, go back to High Sierra until you can a afford a better GPU with good drivers for Mojave. Until then, be glad for still having an Nvidia card, since some things definitely run better with that (like Sapphire plug-ins). It might also help with stability, I'm not sure you'd get that far with a 1 GB AMD card.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Glenn Kaufmann

PostSun Jan 13, 2019 3:18 pm

Uli Plank wrote:
Glenn Kaufmann wrote:I'm going to up my overall system RAM. Is there any way to use that to aid thew weak GPU?

While 16 GB won't hurt, they can't help the GPU, it has its own dedicated VRAM. If it worked before, go back to High Sierra until you can a afford a better GPU with good drivers for Mojave. Until then, be glad for still having an Nvidia card, since some things definitely run better with that (like Sapphire plug-ins). It might also help with stability, I'm not sure you'd get that far with a 1 GB AMD card.

Thanks again, Uli.

HaveBlue

PostMon Jan 14, 2019 4:27 am

I believe you are running an old version of Resolve 15.0. You might want to update. On Windows, system RAM is shared with GPU RAM and helps a bit. Not sure about MacOS. I'm shocked anything is usable with only 1GB vram.

Actually, your core i7 might not be to shabby. Newer processors have tended to get more power efficient instead of being that much faster.
https://www.techspot.com/review/1546-in ... s-8th-gen/

You'll notice that most have 8GB cards. The vram being more important than the series.
W10Pro, Resolve Studio, Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB RAM, SSD and platter drives, GTX 1070 8GB, LG 10bit 4K 32" monitor with two 20" HD monitors

Sam Steti

PostMon Jan 14, 2019 8:36 am

Hey,

To make it short, since you have an Imac whose GPU is not easy to upgrade, you may check for any external GPU enclosure solution; unfortunately, it requires TB3...
I don't think your CPU is hurting, even your 16 Go ram is not so shocking, the GPU is the core of your problem.
Don't waste your money in anything else than a GPU first (which you have noticed very sadly that the iMac form factorn prevents from upgrading easily)
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Uli Plank

PostMon Jan 14, 2019 9:56 am

Sam, it worked for him before and he has no TB3. I'd still recommend downgrading the OS.

While I use a better machine than the OP, until now I was surprised by the stability of DR under Mac OS even on underpowered hardware. Heck, it even runs on my wife's 'typewriter, a simple 13" MacBook Pro with Intel graphics if I keep the timeline to HD. It's slow, yes, but doesn't crash.

To the OP: keep your stills at HD size too.

Sam Steti

PostMon Jan 14, 2019 10:54 am

True, I actually agree ; my point was not to avoid the global reason of his issues, because more generally, even if "it worked", it appeared to me that he should also understand that a cheap workaround doesn't erase the real/main cause...
But yes, From ElCap to HSierra are 3 widely approved OSes that shouldn't be left so far.
Maybe he could try Metal 2 and OpenCL too in the preferences, since I doubt Cuda cn have any relevance with a poor memory card
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Return to DaVinci Resolve