No OpenCL GPU found

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

GermanJohn

No OpenCL GPU found

PostFri Jan 11, 2019 5:39 pm

Hey everyone,

I know this has been asked a bunch of times but none of the issues seem to be quite mine.
Upon starting Resolve 15, it tells me I have no OpenCL capable GPU. If I try to manually configure it, it doesn't see my GPU at all.

My specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600
RAM: 16GB
GPU: RX480 (8GB VRAM)

I really think the RX480 should be able to handle Resolve, and given that the R5 1600 doesn't have an iGPU, I don't see what's going on - surely if it can display, it should detect the GPU?

I really hope someone can help me out here...

GermanJohn

Re: No OpenCL GPU found

PostSat Jan 12, 2019 7:06 am

Derp, I hadn't actually installed OpenCL drivers. That would've helped.
Starts now!

Carsten Sellberg

PostSat Jan 12, 2019 10:38 am

Hi.

I don'r know your RX480. But I wonder if it can be a driver problem?

Suggest you try the latest AMD driver. And if it don't work, then try a previus one.

Just to make sure. Are you running Windows 10?

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

mister_cg

PostSat Jan 12, 2019 4:03 pm

Jonas, the best is to use the GPU-Z tool and check the capability and versions of your HW/Installation.
If GPU-Z shows you that OpenCL is enabled than Davinci Resolve should find your HW. Otherwise you might have driver installation issue. I am quite sure that RX480 is supporting OpenCL.

I would recommend:
1. Try other (newer or older) driver version. I already had the issue with older GPU that OpenCL was broken in latest AMD driver version. After installation of older version OpenCL was active again.
2. If you do not find the problem at all it could be "last" idea to deinstall the GPU drive completely with DDU software. Afterwards install the driver again.
MySystem:
SW: Davinci Resolve Studio v15.0.0088 (because v15.2.2.007 is crashing!)
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
GPU: Radeon RX580 8GB (OpenCL 25.20.15011.1004)
RAM: 16GB

Jerry Suppan

PostSun Jan 13, 2019 10:56 am

GermanJohn wrote:
Upon starting Resolve 15, it tells me I have no OpenCL capable GPU. If I try to manually configure it, it doesn't see my GPU at all.

Interesting because I have this exact same problem but using an Intel product.

Computer: Intel Hades Canyon (with discrete AMD Graphics)
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 630; Driver (latest) 2018-12-10 Intel Driver Version: 25.20.100.6471
Graphics: Radeon RX Vega M GH Graphics
Memory: 32GB
Storage: 1TB SSD NVMe x2

Theoretically the Hades Canyon should handle the loading of Resolve fairly easily. I can even load Resolve on my ASUS S15 Notebook with Nvidia MX150 and Intel Core i5-8250U. But somehow, Blackmagic's Resolve is finicky with this OpenCL thing. The latest install (v15.2.2) did nothing to alleviate the problem.

Update
2019-01-14 11:00:53

I used GPU-X to determine which driver for each of the Intel and AMD graphics chip within the Intel Hades Canyon would be compatible in supporting OpenCL and finally found one of each.

Intel Graphics 630
Driver Version 23.20.16.4901
Date: 2017-12-18

AMD Radeon RX Vega M GH Graphics
Driver Version: 25.20.15002.58 DCH/Win 10 64
Date: 2018-12-06

Upon installing both of these drivers and rebooting the Hades Canyon, DaVinci Resolve will now finally load albeit performance is still something to be desired.
Jerry S.
Tokyo, Japan

GermanJohn

PostSun Jan 13, 2019 8:02 pm

Hey everyone,

thanks for your help!
I am using Ubuntu 18.04 (I usually post in Ubuntu specific forums, so I forgot to mention that).
It was indeed a driver "problem", in that the regular mesa driver didn't include OpenCL (see above).
Now if only I could find how to mark a thread as solved...

GermanJohn

PostMon Jan 14, 2019 11:47 am

Jerry Suppan wrote:
GermanJohn wrote:Upon installing both of these drivers and rebooting the Hades Canyon, DaVinci Resolve will now finally load albeit performance is still something to be desired.

Odd, that Vega M GPU should only be a little less powerful than my RX 480. When editing 1080p at least, I seem to have no performance issues. Are you sure it's using the AMD GPU instead of the Intel?

Or maybe we just have different demands, mine are fairly basic...

Carsten Sellberg

PostMon Jan 14, 2019 12:20 pm

Jerry Suppan wrote:Update

Upon installing both of these drivers and rebooting the Hades Canyon, DaVinci Resolve will now finally load albeit performance is still something to be desired.

Hi.

Are you sure that You are uing ONLY the AMD Radeon RX Vega M GH Graphics and not ALSO the Intel Graphics 630 for Resolve?

But in Resolve the CPU is used to run the app, disk I/O and compression and decompression of codecs.
Resolve does all its image processing in the GPU on the graphics card. More CUDA/OpenCL Cores are better.

And the AMD Radeon RX Vega M GH Graphics have only 4 GB VRam and a very low number of OpenCL cores.

I wonder what resolution and codec you are using?

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

Jerry Suppan

PostThu Jan 17, 2019 5:42 am

GermanJohn wrote:
Jerry Suppan wrote:
GermanJohn wrote:Upon installing both of these drivers and rebooting the Hades Canyon, DaVinci Resolve will now finally load albeit performance is still something to be desired.

Odd, that Vega M GPU should only be a little less powerful than my RX 480. When editing 1080p at least, I seem to have no performance issues. Are you sure it's using the AMD GPU instead of the Intel?

Or maybe we just have different demands, mine are fairly basic...

Hi. Frankly I am not sure which GPU it is using. When I run GPU-Z I see that both Intel and AMD drivers are listed so when launching Resolve, I am not sure which is being used. I reckon if I uninstall the Intel driver completely and only leave the AMD Vega M in place I would (should) know for sure.

I was trying edit 4K/60fps I took with my Samsung Note 9. It loads and I can skim / playback footage in Resolve, but it is barely acceptable. So, now I am thinking to just get an eGPU unit with Akitio Node (case) and RX580 as the combo setup and connect to TB3.
Jerry S.
Tokyo, Japan

Jerry Suppan

PostThu Jan 17, 2019 6:09 am

Carsten Sellberg wrote:
Jerry Suppan wrote:Update

Are you sure that You are uing ONLY the AMD Radeon RX Vega M GH Graphics and not ALSO the Intel Graphics 630 for Resolve?

I wonder what resolution and codec you are using?

Hi.

Both drivers are installed. As I explained above to GermanJohn, I don't know which is being used. Only way to re-determine performance I reckon is to uninstall one of the drivers and check the performance in the remaining driver.

As my test check I loaded 4K/60p video clips taken with my Samsung Note 9.
As for codec (.mp4) does this info help? => https://photos.app.goo.gl/jy6G78euRfgLNxXx6

.MP4

Performance was minimally acceptable. I am now thinking to get a Radeon RX580 with Akitio Node box and run eGPU over TB3.
Jerry S.
Tokyo, Japan

Carsten Sellberg

PostThu Jan 17, 2019 10:17 am

Jerry Suppan wrote: Performance was minimally acceptable. I am now thinking to get a Radeon RX580 with Akitio Node box and run eGPU over TB3.

Hi.

The eGPU only use 4 PCIe lanes, and this 4 PCIe lanes in TB3 will limit your data to max 3.9 GByte/s.

I will like to Quote what Peter Chamberlain wrote in this link:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=82594

QUOTE: 'Remember, Resolve processes 32bit float RGB per pixel, and you need bandwidth up to the eGPU and back.'

So Peter Chamberlains statement is limiting your Speed down to max 0.95 GByte/s.

Or to only the half in all the cases where the data have to go to the eGPU and back.

For the information for all the others reading this thread, is there 8 bits on a byte. So max 0.48 GByte/s is equal to a limit of max 3.9 Gbit/s when using a eGpu. That is not much. I personally can't see it will be a good idea to use an eGPU with Resolve.

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

Uli Plank

PostThu Jan 17, 2019 10:46 am

Well, I wouldn't subscribe to this. Together with my iMac I got speed gains of up to 85% with the eGPU, depending on the filters used.

A MacBook 'Pro' 13" is playing a ProRes UHD sequence without any nodes at 1-2 fps, with the eGPU you can work quite comfortably in HD and even switching to UHD for rendering is possible. H.264 is playing up to 30 fps without the eGPU, but 60 fps with it.

So, for those who can't change their GPU it can be a viable solution. Of course, a second GPU in the main computer is far more efficient.

PM if you'd like my detailed observations in German.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

RaimundE

PostSat Apr 20, 2019 11:29 am

Hi guys,

I got DavinciResolve 15 together with my BMP4K in January and installed it on my Lenovo X1 Yoga. I started it up and had a brief look at the menus, but no time to start using it.
When I tried again a few weeks ago - with some videos that needed editing - I got the OpenCL error, that has already been described above.
"Davinci Resolve could not find any OpenCL capable GPUs. Would you like to review and update your Davinci Resolve hardware configuration?"
My configuration (see below) seems to suggest that my GPU is OpenCl capable and that the drivers are installed.

I downloaded and installed the latest Lenovo Graphics drivers and updated Resolve to v16, but neither helped with the problem. Could anyone pls. have a look at my configuration and give me a hint, what to do?

Thanks a lot!
Raimund
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Intel(R) HD Graphics 620
Report Date: Saturday, April 20, 2019
Report Time [hh:mm:ss]: 1:10:37 PM
Driver Version: 25.20.100.6576
Operating System: Windows* 10 Pro (10.0.17134)
Physical Memory: 16218 MB
Vendor ID: 8086
Device ID: 5916
Device Revision: 02
Video BIOS: 1049.0
Current Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7600U CPU @ 2.80GHz
Processor Speed: 2904 MHz
Processor Graphics in Use: Intel(R) HD Graphics 620
Shader Version: 5.1
OpenGL* Version: 4.5
OpenCL* Version: 2.1