Resolve noise reduction: I look for some info

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

FoxAdriano

Resolve noise reduction: I look for some info

PostMon Jan 14, 2019 10:31 am

Hi, I'd like to ask some questions please:
1) I need to eliminate (a bit) the grane on some clips. I need a noise reduction filter. I thought to buy Neat Video, plugins for Edius because I'm using Edius 9 for video editing. I have also Resolve in my PC but I still don't know it well. Could you tell me if I will get the same result with Resolve noise reduction filter like with Neat Video?
2) I will need to use noise reduction filter in short time and I don't know Resolve, thenl I don't have free time to study it now. Could you tell me if in Resolve the noise reduction is a filter and if it is easily usable? Where is that filter precisely in Resolve?
THANKS foor your info.

Rui Branquinho

Re: Resolve noise reduction: I look for some info

PostWed Jan 16, 2019 10:47 am

Noise Reduction in Resolve is not a filter. It's part of the software and it is not available in the free version. You can, however, install the Neat Video OFX plugin in Resolve.
Resolve Studio 18.6.5 | DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K | Eizo CG2700X
macOS Sonoma | iMac 2020 | Intel i9 | Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16GB | 64GB RAM

dirk-pel

PostWed Jan 16, 2019 10:57 am

Neat OFX cost 250$, studio Version of Davinci Resolve 299$
Make your choice, I have Edius Workgroup 8.5 without Neat but now I'm using most of the time Davinci Studio a fantastic program. The color and sound part is fantastic.
Noise reduction with DR is very good, you have to play with the parameters but this also with Neat the case.

Dirk PEL
Davinci Resolve 18.6 Studio, Micropanel, Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, 16" Macbook Pro M1 MAX 32 GB, 1TB SSD, macOS Monterey12.4, EIZO CS2420,Philips 27e1n8900 OLED, BM Decklink Mini Monitor 4K on a TH3P4 board for Mac. iPhone 14 Pro

Marc Wielage

PostWed Jan 16, 2019 10:44 pm

Neat Video is very good but extraordinarily slow. With 4K material, you'll get about 2fps maximum on a lot of systems. But there are a large range of parameters you can adjust to get maximum results.

The new "Enhanced" Spatial NR in Resolve is very good, but also very slow. It helps to cache it for real-time playback, but for final rendering it will be slow. It's a toss up as to whether it's better/worse than Neat. Note that it often helps to adjust Chroma separately from Luma, since Luma SNR tends to soften the image.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve