Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

3D Particle/Object Intersection and Bouncing off each other

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Chris_Colton

3D Particle/Object Intersection and Bouncing off each other

PostTue Jan 15, 2019 2:56 am

I've followed the general procedure here: http://www.bryanray.name/wordpress/link ... ic-fusion/

And the 3D objects replicated to particles are great but they keep flying through each other. Is Fusion capable of restricting that? Can the pCustom node be used to make particles keep from hitting each other? Or is that more of a Maya/3Ds max/blender/cinema4D thing?
Resolve 17 Studio
MacBook Pro 2021 M1 Max, 10-core CPU 24-core GPU
32GB RAM
Internal 4TB NVME SSD

Bryan Ray

Re: 3D Particle/Object Intersection and Bouncing off each ot

PostTue Jan 15, 2019 4:49 am

I've never worked out a way to cause particles within one system to interact with one another, beyond pFlock. But that doesn't really do any momentum transfer, it just exerts a force on the particle when it gets within a certain distance of another. Real rigid body stuff needs a more robust 3d system than you get in Fusion.

That setup was intended for use as an extreme background element, where you'd never have been able to see if the ships were intersecting one another. I've used it for a cloud of flies, and for the occasional bit of concrete getting exploded by a super-punch or grenade or such-like. All either very motion blurred or tiny, or both.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

Chris_Colton

PostTue Jan 15, 2019 9:26 pm

Bryan Ray wrote:I've never worked out a way to cause particles within one system to interact with one another, beyond pFlock. But that doesn't really do any momentum transfer, it just exerts a force on the particle when it gets within a certain distance of another. Real rigid body stuff needs a more robust 3d system than you get in Fusion.

That setup was intended for use as an extreme background element, where you'd never have been able to see if the ships were intersecting one another. I've used it for a cloud of flies, and for the occasional bit of concrete getting exploded by a super-punch or grenade or such-like. All either very motion blurred or tiny, or both.

Wow did not expect to see you answering about your own tutorial - very helpful, by the way. That makes total sense. Do you think using pFlock's repelling would be enough to just keep them away from each other? I'm a total particle newbie so I haven't used pFlock yet. I'm going to start learning Blender at some point for things like this, was just curious if it was possible inside Fusion, thank you for your help!
Resolve 17 Studio
32GB RAM
Internal 4TB NVME SSD

Bryan Ray

PostTue Jan 15, 2019 10:16 pm

Fusion's still a pretty small community. Chances are good that any given tutorial's author can be found here, on Steakunderwater.com, or on Con-Fusion's Discord channel. Or any combination of the three. And I just can't help answering questions! ;)

If you want the particles to simply repel one another, then yes, pFlock is what you need. So long as you don't have too many because the forces will start to interact in unpredictable ways—some will just cancel out, while others will create over-strong forces that launch particles away at a very high velocity.

If you want to simulate something like a pool table or a pile of sand, you'll need a real physics solver like you'd find in Blender or Houdini.
Bryan Ray

Chris_Colton

PostWed Jan 16, 2019 6:03 pm

Bryan Ray wrote:Fusion's still a pretty small community. Chances are good that any given tutorial's author can be found here, on Steakunderwater.com, or on Con-Fusion's Discord channel. Or any combination of the three. And I just can't help answering questions! ;)

If you want the particles to simply repel one another, then yes, pFlock is what you need. So long as you don't have too many because the forces will start to interact in unpredictable ways—some will just cancel out, while others will create over-strong forces that launch particles away at a very high velocity.

If you want to simulate something like a pool table or a pile of sand, you'll need a real physics solver like you'd find in Blender or Houdini.

Well I'm still glad you found my question :) Thank you very much! I'm going to try using pFlock to do a basic repelling - in this case there are relatively few particles so it might accomplish what I need. I'm going to start learning Blender some day when I have free time (does that exist any more?) for more advanced 3D work as well.
Resolve 17 Studio
32GB RAM
Internal 4TB NVME SSD

Bryan Ray

PostWed Jan 16, 2019 6:42 pm

Chris_Colton wrote: some day when I have free time (does that exist any more?)

Nope. There's only the time you've stolen from something else. Hopefully something that belongs to somebody you don't like. ;)
Bryan Ray

Chris_Colton

PostWed Jan 16, 2019 6:43 pm

Bryan Ray wrote:
Chris_Colton wrote: some day when I have free time (does that exist any more?)

Nope. There's only the time you've stolen from something else. Hopefully something that belongs to somebody you don't like. ;)

:lol:
Resolve 17 Studio
32GB RAM
Internal 4TB NVME SSD

Sander de Regt

PostWed Jan 16, 2019 8:21 pm

Depending on what you want to do Blender isn't the best solution either, since interparticle collision is still pretty basic. At least I haven't managed to get it working yet. They will bounce of objects but not each other.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Chris_Colton

PostWed Jan 16, 2019 8:22 pm

Good to know! Thank you
Resolve 17 Studio
32GB RAM
Internal 4TB NVME SSD

Return to Fusion