ATEM Production Studio 4k - Simple Startup?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

jgoldman

ATEM Production Studio 4k - Simple Startup?

PostWed Dec 12, 2018 11:26 pm

Hello,

I run a performing arts venue which utilizes multiple inputs for our front projection. For example, we have HDMI Video feeds from the stage (laptop lectures) as well as from the control booth (projection computer).

To switch between feeds, our IT department recently purchased an "ATEM Production Studio 4k" as a stand-alone solution. However, in attempting to "plug & play" I am finding that I have no video feed or output. Based on this, I have a few questions:

First - Is this item capable of functioning as a stand-alone switcher without additional video equipment? Is there another piece of hardware necessary for it to operate?

Second - I've read through the manual which implies that this gear is "Plug & Play" however, I've attempted to connect 3 different computers (mac) via the HDMI inputs and have not had a single one show an image on the front aux LCD screen (I can get bars or colors). The computers do auto-recognize that there is an additional screen to send to, so I know there's some sort of connection. What do I need to do to resolve this?

Third - I am attempting to output via SDI to a projector. No image seems to send regardless of setting. This includes no image for the bars or color settings. The projector recognizes that something is connected to the SDI video port, but never receives an image. Once again, what can I do to resolve this?

I have gone through the software setup, and according to the mapping info, inputs and outputs are correct and active.

I welcome any suggestions for this video switcher newbie.

Thanks!

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

Re: ATEM Production Studio 4k - Simple Startup?

PostFri Dec 14, 2018 1:27 am

Hello Jason. The first thing to check is that all inputs must have the same resolution and frame rate as the ATEM. The ATEM must be set as desired in the Settings menu. Then all inputs must match. The tricky thing with computers is that the HDMI ports may work with 60 Hz when the ATEM is set for 59.94 Hz. You can troubleshoot the input ports by connecting the ATEM Program output to any input with color bars selected on Program. This will let you know if the ports are working. As far as output, you need to make sure the projector will accept the output the ATEM is feeding.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

jgoldman

PostSun Dec 16, 2018 9:22 pm

Thank you Gary,

Regarding output from the ATEM, I've been able to confirm functionality via the color bars, so I now know my issue is the inputs.

I've also been able to make the input work by matching the output from my computer (as you suggested), however... our ultimate goal is to have it work for any computer without too much adjustment. For example, when a client comes in and wants to plug in their personal laptop to run their powerpoint from.

Is there a recommended signal conversion device I could put in the line that would take the various resolutions and automatically convert it to the specific resolution & frame rate so that the device does the work rather than the end user?

Thank you again!

Hakan Taube Lyxzen

PostMon Dec 17, 2018 10:18 pm

As long as you doesn't need 4k resolutions the new Mini Converter UpDownCross HD will work.
You set it to the standard your switcher are set to and whatever it receives will be in that format.
Hakan Taube Lyxzen
prostreaming.se

GeorgeDrake

PostThu Dec 20, 2018 4:18 pm

to late to exchange for a Television Studio Pro 4k? It auto converts any signal. Problem is it only accepts SDI but a few micro converters and you are good!
Windows 11 | Resolve 18.0.3 | RTX 4090 24GB | 128 gigs DDR5-5200 | i9-12900K
Mac OS Monterey | M1 MAX | 64GB Ram |

Kevin Copeland

PostWed Jan 16, 2019 9:16 pm

The Blackmagic Design UpDownCross is amazing. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... ss_hd.html

I use 2 of them. One to get an iMac to work with my 1080i59.94 system. (Our iMac constantly disconnected and this was our only cost effective solution.)

I use the other to convert to the correct format for my Hyperdeck Mini to record H264. Huge help in recording high quality with lower file sizes.

You may also consider using the SimpleSupers.com app which uses PowerPoint on Windows as a character generator. It gives you key and fill for use in your DSK for lower thirds, etc. Retains animations and transparency by generating an alpha channel.

Good luck.
kc

Return to Live Production