Fuji X-T2 raw (.RAF) timelapse converted to DNG not working

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

AlxndrWlsn

Fuji X-T2 raw (.RAF) timelapse converted to DNG not working

PostThu Jan 17, 2019 9:24 am

Hi. I'm a bit confused.

I thought Resolve (I'm using the free version, if that makes a difference) could import non-CinemaDNG DNG stills and use them as a sequence. I've done 10 time lapses with my Fuji X-T2 recently and converted the proprietary .RAF files to DNG using Adobe DNG converter. When I try to import them, Resolve does see the individual files as a sequence but displays the "Media Offline" still for them, and they are effectively unusable. Obviously, they are not offline, as I can navigate to their location, see them, and import them, but I can't get any image out of them. Am I doing something wrong or have I not understood something about the limitations?

Thanks for your help!

AlxndrWlsn

Re: Fuji X-T2 raw (.RAF) timelapse converted to DNG not work

PostSat Jan 19, 2019 12:29 pm

Anyone?

Mario Kalogjera

PostThu Feb 07, 2019 10:37 pm

Just found out the same happens here (Resolve 15.2.3.015) with Canon EOS 5DS R footage converted from cr2 to dng via Adobe DNG converter, while Fusion standalone has no problem loading them. I used the same procedure earlier with Canon EOS 6D and same version of Adobe converter and those DNGs still load correctly.

Come on, BMD, what's gone wrong here?
Asus Prime X370-Pro+R7 3700X@PBO+32 GB G.Skill AEGIS DDR-4@3200MHz
Sapphire RX6700 10GB
Adata A400 120GB System,A2000 500GB Scratch SSDs
Media storage:"Always in motion is it"
BMD Mini Monitor 4K
Windows 11 Pro+Resolve Studio 18+Fusion Studio 18

Fanjan Combrink

PostTue Feb 19, 2019 9:45 am

Same here.

I import my .RAF files as .dng. I simply exported from Lightroom the .dng sequences using LR simply as a renaming tool for the various sequences (all sequences where imported into LR as a single sequence in terms of file name convention).

Open Resolve Studio, navigate to the folder, all 5 sequences are there, but each thumbnail shows "Media Offline".

I've imported them, still "Media Offline".

I've tried generating optimized media for them but Studio crashes in such a way that I have to restart my PC.

Blackmagic team, ANY news on this issue?
WORK: Resolve Studio 17 | Win10-Pro64 | Intel i5-8400 | 32GB RAM 2400 | GeForce GTX1060 6GB RAM (Studio driver)

HOME: Resolve Studio 17 | Macbook Air M1 base model

Craig Marshall

PostTue Feb 19, 2019 9:50 am

No issues here with the latest Resolve. (free version) We regularly use Adobe's standalone converter to transcode Olympus 4K 4:3 RAW files to DNG image sequences. We import the sequence then use Resolve's motion flow and speed change algorithms to successfully output super smooth smooth 4K 16:9 Uncompressed Timelapse movie Masters ready for programme insertion.
4K Post Studio, Freelance Filmmaker, Media Writer
Win10/Lightworks/Resolve 15.1/X-Keys 68 Jog-Shuttle/OxygenTec ProPanel
12G SDI Decklink 4K Pro/Calibrated 10bit IPS SDI Monitor
HDvideo4K.com

Fanjan Combrink

PostTue Feb 19, 2019 1:58 pm

TIFF files work, but are WAAAAY bigger to work with in terms of storage.

Just tested it it for importing it into Studio.

As for optimised media, I have yet to see it work.
WORK: Resolve Studio 17 | Win10-Pro64 | Intel i5-8400 | 32GB RAM 2400 | GeForce GTX1060 6GB RAM (Studio driver)

HOME: Resolve Studio 17 | Macbook Air M1 base model

drxian

PostTue Mar 03, 2020 12:27 pm

yes still "OFFLINE" in the latest resolve 16.1.2
I've converted fuji xpro2 raw into DNG lossless in LR (v6)
in fusion section they load but come out purple and badly textured.. not usable.
christian hogue
artist

alvink

PostTue Mar 24, 2020 5:41 am

Hi AlxndrWlsn,

I'm currently have the exact same problem. RAF converted with Adobe Camera Raw to .DNG.
Import it into Davinci to only have it show up as Media offline. I have heard changing the clip start time to the same as the timeline would some times work. But of course it didn't work for me.

I tried to export the RAF to Tiff and the import works fine in Davinci, but like you I find the file size was too big. As a single RAF is 28MB and a single Tiff is 74MB. Sing DNG is 36MB.

Any suggestions on making the DNG files show up in Davinci Resolve would be greatly appreciated.

drxian

PostWed May 13, 2020 2:25 am

just wondering why there is no offical Blackmagic repsonse to nay of these posts ever??
christian hogue
artist

Jim Simon

PostWed May 13, 2020 3:06 pm

Staff do participate in the forums. But I couldn't speculate on how they choose which threads to post in.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

CptCurk

PostSun Aug 23, 2020 11:18 am

Hey !
Davinci 12.2.4.016 Studio Version - X-T3 to DNG with Adobe converter.
Tried :
- DNG + raw inside version 12
- DNG + JPEG real size version 12
- DNG version 7
- DNG version 11...

But I think the pb is coming from Davinci directly ^^'
May be it can't get the sensor of Fuji with X-trans ? that's why TIFF is working because it's totally reencoding !

But as everybody said : could be great to get some support here for the fuji comunity ! As I get video assist also, that could be awesome you trying solve that isue to get BM RAW for Fuji Guys !
Macbook Pro M1 MAX 32CoreGPU and 64Gb of ram.
Davinci 18.1.3

Shooting Fujifilm X-T3 & Blackmagic Video Assist 7" HDR with Miller Tripod.

fuji_leper

PostThu Aug 05, 2021 2:20 am

I have been having this issue as well - I literally just purchased Davinci Studio and this has really put back my plans. I am disappointed Black Magic has not written any replies to this forum in two years. It's mid-2021 and this is still happening? The whole point of buying DV Studio was to minimised the amount of time I spend using Adobe products and LR Timelapse, but at this point I'm still stuck using them. I will lodge a ticket with Black Magic directly.

fuji_leper

PostThu Aug 05, 2021 7:33 am

I logged this issue with blackmagic, they said it will basically be treated like a feature request!

This is really disappointing, as I've just forked out for DaVinci Studio and now will still be stuck using Adobe for my timelapses. Horrible!

UPDATE: So I have spoken to a rep from blackmagic about this, and the response is as follows for anyone who looks at this thread:

I've submitted a feature request for this. The primary reason these files haven't been supported yet is because they are stills photography RAW files while Resolve tends to focus its resources on video-centric workflows.

It appears that DNGs have a few different flavours and the converted ones don't play nice with Resolve. For example, importing a native DNG file from a DJI drone, Resolve decodes it without issues. I also noticed that the adobe DNG does not open up in Mac's Preview whereas Iridient does.

In any case, as a workaround, I would recommend the customer either creates the timelapse video outside of Resolve before bringing the final video in or convert the raw files to a relatively low compression TIFF file or PNG file before importing it into Resolve.

Doesn't look like Fujifilm users should hold out much hope here, but there are a couple of [less than ideal] workarounds to adopt. I'll be using high-quality .tif files and hoping there's a fix one day from blackmagic.

CptCurk

PostMon Oct 11, 2021 9:24 am

fuji_leper wrote:Doesn't look like Fujifilm users should hold out much hope here, but there are a couple of [less than ideal] workarounds to adopt. I'll be using high-quality .tif files and hoping there's a fix one day from blackmagic.

That's really sad... As I'm X-T3 shooter, and as I said, I got a Video Assist. I never had any reply from Blackmagic on any of my post. actually, I bought this to get 2 XLR input. But there is a delay betwin my X-T3 and Video Assist. The prob could be solve with a little code lines in the soft of VA. But nop... They don't want ! I clearly understand why lot of peoples goes Atomos, sadly : pre-rec and delay in sound ! Ok, that's not the topic.

I'm also a fervent editor and motion designer using Resolve Studio & Fusion. But that's confusing the way they ignore some of peoples like us, Fuji shooters. They focus now on GFX user, but that get Bayer and TIFF internally. We will be f**k by this amazing feature which is X-Trans.

I still hope they will move on those problems. As Timelapse IS video. Using some for almost all my video paid job !
Davinci 18.1.3

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Oct 11, 2021 10:30 am

Firstly, for reference.
https://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/ ... 8057211000

At this time we don't have the formal raf spec and technical details and license to decode from Fuji but I have reached out to them and we are in early discussions.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

CptCurk

PostMon Oct 11, 2021 10:34 am

That is AWESOME ! (continu with my bold type haha)

Thank you a lot. I'm so glad to here from you on this Peter. After two years, things change. Do you think I need to send a ticket for my VA requests ? (of topic sorry) But where / How can I send a request ticket ?
Davinci 18.1.3

fuji_leper

PostTue Oct 12, 2021 9:52 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:
At this time we don't have the formal raf spec and technical details and license to decode from Fuji but I have reached out to them and we are in early discussions.

This is great news, thanks for helping.

tim.marinov

PostSun Dec 04, 2022 1:29 am

Any News on that ? It seems Fuji is still Ignored in Davinci. No flog2 yet and it seems that we still can't use RAF>DNG> :cry: DavinciResolve :cry: for timelapse . Davinci please Resolve :) this issue!

Return to DaVinci Resolve