Audio track auto insert

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Jim Jordan

Audio track auto insert

PostThu Jan 17, 2019 4:04 pm

When I overwrite a clip into the timeline it automatically places all the audio tracks from the clip into the timeline even though I have no audio track selected. Still sample shows this... how do I turn this off!

Thanks,
Jim

before overwrite.jpeg
before edit
before overwrite.jpeg (55.02 KiB) Viewed 2390 times

after overwrite.jpeg
after edit
after overwrite.jpeg (76.68 KiB) Viewed 2390 times

Brad Hurley

Re: Audio track auto insert

PostThu Jan 17, 2019 4:26 pm

There are a few ways to avoid this.

If you're using drag-and-drop editing, see page 392 of the Resolve 15 manual for video-only or audio-only drag-and-drop. You can option-drag (alt-drag in Windows) to insert/overwrite only the video portion of a clip. There's also an overlay in the source viewer that appears if you hover over it.

Another way is disable any existing audio tracks or to turn off auto-select on them; that way the audio has no place to go. See page 400 in the manual.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Jim Jordan

PostThu Jan 17, 2019 5:16 pm

Thanks for showing options in the manual. If you look at my overwrite I had no audio tracks 2-5 but they auto made tracks and placed then into the timeline with auto selection and track selection on. That being said i will try the manual direction in the future.

Jim

Brad Hurley

PostThu Jan 17, 2019 5:28 pm

Jim Jordan wrote:Thanks for showing options in the manual. If you look at my overwrite I had no audio tracks 2-5 but they auto made tracks and placed then into the timeline with auto selection and track selection on. That being said i will try the manual direction in the future.

Yes, in your case I think the first method (choosing to edit only video into the timeline by either option/alt clicking or using the overlay in the source viewer would solve it.

Most of the audio recorded with my camera is scratch audio used for syncing and I never insert it into my timeline, so I use this feature a lot.

The auto-select disabling is handy when you're making edits within your timeline, especially moving clips around, trimming, etc.; it allows you to control which tracks are affected or not affected.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Peter Cave

PostFri Jan 18, 2019 2:23 am

Create the appropriate number of audio tracks first, then enable the ones you want to edit to. Premiere is similar in operation. It drives me crazy too!
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

robozb

PostTue Jan 28, 2020 4:14 am

May I ask, is it possible to pre-select a track for audio during the drag and drop from source if I'd like to put video and audio together?

Thanks

Rick van den Berg

PostTue Jan 28, 2020 9:48 am

The keyboard shortcuts for audio track destination have been broken for years now. it only works properly for clips with 1 embedded audio track. if you have more embedded tracks, no single audio destination command works. BM confirmed this by the way.

by default on windows;

ctrl+alt+f9 = enable/disable all audio auto selects
alt+f9 = enable/disable all video auto selects

alt+shift+f9 = lock/unlock all audio tracks
alt+shift+9 = lock/unlock all video tracks

all works fine.

why is there no such shortcut for toggling all audio destination tracks?
you can click all of the indicators, then it works.

if one wants to insert video without embedded audio, it should be the most simple thing in the world to do. Without using the mouse. i dont want to go into the clip attributes everytime and press the little delete button for every track which is time consuming. just ctrl+alt+9 (or something similar) to toggle destinations off, and press insert.

robozb

PostTue Jan 28, 2020 10:45 am

Thank you very much!

Return to DaVinci Resolve