Minimum computer requirements for Davinci Resolve?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

austindonald1

Minimum computer requirements for Davinci Resolve?

PostTue Jan 15, 2019 4:58 pm

Hi everyone, im new at understanding computer and camera stuff.
i was going to buy a black magic 4 k pocket camera nd a new computer (I have windows Vista 7) but I dont know what computer "package" I should look into buying that will work with the Black magic and its software?

anyone have advice? thanks
Donald Austin

Carsten Sellberg

Re: Minimum computer requirements for Davinci Resolve?

PostTue Jan 15, 2019 5:43 pm

Hi.

Before I come with some suggesting, do I want to make sure you can't upgrade your current Windows PC to be used with Resolve.

Please tell us what CPU it have, the amount of RAM and what kind of Graphics Cards.
If you need help, please tell us, and we will give you further instruction.

The current recommendation for 4K, is a PC with a CPU from AMD with ether the current Threadripper CPU or the next generation Threadripper CPU expected to August.

There have just been an another thread in this forum, where several of us gave some recommendations. There is even a PCPartPicker part list.
But I don't know if you want to build a PC your self, or if you may be have a friend or family that can help you. But here is a link:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=84612

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

austindonald1

PostTue Jan 15, 2019 9:11 pm

Carsten Sellberg wrote:Hi.

Before I come with some suggesting, do I want to make sure you can't upgrade your current Windows PC to be used with Resolve.

Please tell us what CPU it have, the amount of RAM and what kind of Graphics Cards.

The current recommendation for 4K, is a PC with a CPU from AMD with ether the current Threadripper CPU or the next generation Threadripper CPU expected to August.

There have just been an another thread in this forum, where several of us gave some recommendations. There is even a PCPartPicker part list.
But I don't know if you want to build a PC your self, or if you may be have a friend or family that can help you. But here is a link:

Regards Carsten.

thanks Carston, ill check out the link
Donald Austin

austindonald1

PostThu Jan 17, 2019 8:56 pm

Regards Carsten.

i was going to buy a computer with windows ten
Donald Austin

Carsten Sellberg

PostFri Jan 18, 2019 5:28 am

austindonald1 wrote:i was going to buy a computer with windows ten

Hi.

4K/UHD have 4 times the pixels of full HD and require 4 times the VRam and more CUDA/OpenCL cores on the Graphics Cards for editing and grading. For the moments do we recommend PC with the Threadripper CPU from AMD.

Many times can it be a good idea to ask a local computer shop to build a Windows 10 desktop computer for Resolve. We can help with the specification.
But I don't know in which part of the world you are living. And if you are located in a big town with many computer shop or in a more remote area?

If you live in an area without without computer shops, can you may be order a desktop from a specialized company. I can mention a post from Marc Wielage from this forum, where he list some shops in the US. QUOTE: ' Three I know of in the U.S. are VFX Technologies in Culver City, CA, Puget Systems in Washington, and Colorscene near Atlanta.'

From this link:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=80516

But most of us don't live in the US. If you tell where you live , can we better help you.

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

austindonald1

PostFri Jan 18, 2019 1:56 pm

Carsten Sellberg wrote:
austindonald1 wrote:i was going to buy a computer with windows ten

Hi.

4K/UHD have 4 times the pixels of full HD and require 4 times the VRam and more CUDA/OpenCL cores on the Graphics Cards for editing and grading. For the moments do we recommend PC with the Threadripper CPU from AMD.

Many times can it be a good idea to ask a local computer shop to build a Windows 10 desktop computer for Resolve. We can help with the specification.
But I don't know in which part of the world you are living. And if you are located in a big town with many computer shop or in a more remote area?

If you live in an area without without computer shops, can you may be order a desktop from a specialized company. I can mention a post from Marc Wielage from this forum, where he list some shops in the US. QUOTE: ' Three I know of in the U.S. are VFX Technologies in Culver City, CA, Puget Systems in Washington, and Colorscene near Atlanta.'

From this link:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=80516

But most of us don't live in the US. If you tell where you live , can we better help you.

Regards Carsten.

I live in the US, with Best Buy and Walmart being local
Donald Austin

austindonald1

PostFri Jan 18, 2019 2:03 pm

Is the resolve control surface a necessity, or can these features (or similar features) be used with just the desktop computer, mouse and keyboard?

Here are my two main objectives for wanting to buy the black magic 4k:

*To create cinematic looking indoor portraits/stills/headshots

*To create cinematic looking short films for fun/as a hobby.
Donald Austin

Ole Kristiansen

PostFri Jan 18, 2019 2:30 pm

You can use a normal keyboard !

I have this one: DaVinci Resolve 14 - PC ASTRA Backlit Keyboard

http://logickeyboard.com/shop/davinci-resolve-14-3617p.html
Attachments
keyboard.png
keyboard.png (771.44 KiB) Viewed 52516 times

Carsten Sellberg

PostFri Jan 18, 2019 5:20 pm

austindonald1 wrote: I live in the US, with Best Buy and Walmart being local

Hi.

There are two manufacturers of CPU's, AMD and Intel. Each having a mainline and a High End Desktop line of CPU's. For 4K in Resolve do we recommend a High End Desktop line CPU. But both walmart.com and bestbuy.com only sell computers with a mainline CPU's.

Here are some links:

https://www.walmart.com/search/?cat_id= ... ductResult

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/pc-gaming-savings

But AMD already show the next generation mainline CPU at CES in Las Vegas. It will be build on 7nm new technology together with PCIe ver 4.0. It will be both faster and cheaper to manufacture.
But the 3rd generation AMD Ryzen will not arrive until mid 2019. Both walmart and best buy are selling the slow OLD 2nd generation Ryzen, so I expect if you want to wait to mid 2019, will you be able to buy one locally.

And other option will be to order one with the current AMD Threadripper CPU's from NewEgg. Here is a link with different possibilities:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductL ... Gaming-PCs

One of the cheaper ones, as the one to $2,649 will do.

But maybe some with a better knowledge of the US market, have better ideas.

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

austindonald1

PostSun Jan 20, 2019 5:11 pm

im a little confused... is a 'Gaming PC' seperate from a desktop Windows 10 PC??

Should I be focused on a Gaming PC rather than a Windows 10 PC??
Donald Austin

Carsten Sellberg

PostSun Jan 20, 2019 6:43 pm

austindonald1 wrote:im a little confused... is a 'Gaming PC' seperate from a desktop Windows 10 PC??

Hi Donald.

Yes, a Gaming PC is different from other desktop Windows 10 PCs.

Yes, You better look for a Gaming PC rather than a general Windows 10 PC.
But not a plain Gaming PC. Resolve will run faster if you add a few extra components, as more RAM and 2-3 pcs. M.2 NVMe x4 SSD's.

In Resolve the CPU is used to run the app, disk I/O and compression and decompression of codecs.
Resolve do not use the graphics card to play games, but does all its image processing in the CUDA cores on the graphics card. That is the reason that more CUDA Cores are better.

I think the best and cheapest way for you will be, if you can find a small local Computer shop or Computer Repair workshop that will build and test a PC for you, if you self buy and receive all the needed components. Then we can together make a list what you need to buy and where.
This way we can both take advantages of nice offers and chose the the best components.

An alternative way will be to ask for an offer for a prebuild and tested Resolve build. But then you must expect the shop will make a profit on every components the sell you.

The reason that I suggest one of the above two possibilities is that on my previous NewEgg.com link I see two Gaming PCs with AMD Threadripper 1920X CPU's. It is a 1st generation CPU and the original price was 799$. But as it is a 1st generation CPU is the price now reduced to 420$. But I can't
see the total cost to be reduced with 380$.

I also have an other comment to the prices in my previous post. AMD have both a Mainline and a High End Desktop line of CPU's. The Mainline of CPU's is called Ryzen and the High End Desktop line of CPU's is called Threadripper. The price difference between a a low end Threadripper and a Top Ryzen
is only around 315$. So I will clearly recommend the Threadripper. Here is the calculation of this difference:

$424.79 AMD - Threadripper 1920X 3.5 GHz 12-Core Processor
$69.90 Noctua NH-U12S TR4-SP3 or Noctua NH-U9 TR4-SP3 cooler from Amazon.com
$249.99 ASRock X399 Taichi motherboard

$309.99 AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor
$0.00 AMD Wraith Prism Cooler Included
$119.89 Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING motherboard

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

austindonald1

PostSun Jan 20, 2019 7:50 pm

Carsten Sellberg wrote:
austindonald1 wrote:im a little confused... is a 'Gaming PC' seperate from a desktop Windows 10 PC??

Hi Donald.

But not a plain Gaming PC. Resolve will run faster if you add a few extra components, as more RAM and 2-3 pcs. M.2 NVMe x4 SSD's.

In Resolve the CPU is used to run the app, disk I/O and compression and decompression of codecs.
Resolve do not use the graphics card to play games, but does all its image processing in the CUDA cores on the graphics card. That is the reason that more CUDA Cores are better.

I think the best and cheapest way for you will be, if you can find a small local Computer shop or Computer Repair workshop that will build and test a PC for you, if you self buy and receive all the needed components. Then we can together make a list what you need to buy and where.
This way we can both take advantages of nice offers and chose the the best components.

An alternative way will be to ask for an offer for a prebuild and tested Resolve build. But then you must expect the shop will make a profit on every components the sell you.

The reason that I suggest one of the above two possibilities is that on my previous NewEgg.com link I see two Gaming PCs with AMD Threadripper 1920X CPU's. It is a 1st generation CPU and the original price was 799$. But as it is a 1st generation CPU is the price now reduced to 420$. But I can't

I also have an other comment to the prices in my previous post. AMD have both a Mainline and a High End Desktop line of CPU's. The Mainline of CPU's is called Ryzen and the High End Desktop line of CPU's is called Threadripper. The price difference between a a low end Threadripper and a Top Ryzen
is only around 315$. So I will clearly recommend the Threadripper. Here is the calculation of this difference:

Regards Carsten.

Thanks Carsten for helping me with tech things come into focus a little more (so to speak:).
Donald Austin

austindonald1

PostMon Jan 21, 2019 4:09 pm

Ole Kristiansen wrote:You can use a normal keyboard !

I have this one: DaVinci Resolve 14 - PC ASTRA Backlit Keyboard

http://logickeyboard.com/shop/davinci-resolve-14-3617p.html

thanks
Donald Austin

austindonald1

PostMon Jan 21, 2019 4:31 pm

Carsten Sellberg wrote:

Hi Donald.

Regards Carsten.

what are your thoughts on something like this from walmart?
Attachments
2f28fd41-63ff-45c1-82fb-6a339d0f4b91_2.e4676ef7211381a3a8049cc0d9eedd59.jpeg
2f28fd41-63ff-45c1-82fb-6a339d0f4b91_2.e4676ef7211381a3a8049cc0d9eedd59.jpeg (39.63 KiB) Viewed 52323 times
Donald Austin

Carsten Sellberg

PostMon Jan 21, 2019 6:38 pm

Hi.

I have difficulty see what it's inside your picture. My guess is that it is a CYBERPOWERPC Gamer Supreme Liquid Cool SLC8760CPG
to $1,792.68. It that correct?

But I am sorry. I don't think it will be good for Resolve.

It have:
Intel Core i7-8700K
16GB Memory, 120GB SSD + 2TB Hard Drive
GeForce GTX 1070 8GB
Windows 10 Home 64-Bit

Here is my comments:

They Intel Core i7-8700K is only a 6 core 12 thread CPU. You will need a 8-12 core 16-24 threads CPU, and it is the previous model.
16 GB Memory is very low. 32 GB is recommended. 120GB SSD is to low. You will need 1-2 SSD with a total of minimum 480 GB.
GeForce GTX 1070 8GB will be possiable. But again is is an OLD Graphics Card.
And Blackmagic Design recommend Windows 10 not HOME but a PRO version.

If you like a mainline CPU must I recommend you to wait until mid 2019 for the next generation Ryzen CPU. It will be manufactured on the cheaper 7nm process node and come with the new PCIe version 4.0 interface.

I need to tell you about PCIe lanes. It's wires going from the CPU out to different part of the motherboards. The Threadripper have 60 PCIe lanes. The current Ryzen have 20 PCIe lanes and the Intel i7-8700 only 16 PCIe lanes. The number of PCIe lanes will control how many other PC devices the system SIMULTANEOUS can handle. For the last 8 years all PCIe lanes use a speed of 8 gigatransfers per second (GT/s).

But from the new Ryzen next generation CPU will they change it from 8 to 16 gigatransfers per second (GT/s). So the next generation Ryzen CPU will still have 20 PCIe lanes. But will be able to handle almost the double amount of SIMULTANEOUS data.

So If you want to buy a Mainline CPU for Resolve, must I recommend you to wait until mid 2019.

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

austindonald1

PostWed Jan 23, 2019 10:09 pm

I have difficulty see what it's inside your picture. My guess is that it is a CYBERPOWERPC Gamer Supreme Liquid Cool SLC8760CPG
to $1,792.68. It that correct?

But I am sorry. I don't think it will be good for Resolve.

It have:
Intel Core i7-8700K
16GB Memory, 120GB SSD + 2TB Hard Drive
GeForce GTX 1070 8GB
Windows 10 Home 64-Bit

Here is my comments:

They Intel Core i7-8700K is only a 6 core 12 thread CPU. You will need a 8-12 core 16-24 threads CPU, and it is the previous model.
16 GB Memory is very low. 32 GB is recommended. 120GB SSD is to low. You will need 1-2 SSD with a total of minimum 480 GB.

If you like a mainline CPU must I recommend you to wait until mid 2019 for the next generation Ryzen CPU. It will be manufactured on the cheaper 7nm process node and come with the new PCIe version 4.0 interface.

I need to tell you about PCIe lanes. It's wires going from the CPU out to different part of the motherboards. The Threadripper have 60 PCIe lanes. The current Ryzen have 20 PCIe lanes and the Intel i7-8700 only 16 PCIe lanes. The number of PCIe lanes will control how many other PC devices the system SIMULTANEOUS can handle. For the last 8 years all PCIe lanes use a speed of 8 gigatransfers per second (GT/s).

But from the new Ryzen next generation CPU will they change it from 8 to 16 gigatransfers per second (GT/s). So the next generation Ryzen CPU will still have 20 PCIe lanes. But will be able to handle almost the double amount of SIMULTANEOUS data.

So If you want to buy a Mainline CPU for Resolve, must I recommend you to wait until mid 2019.

Regards Carsten.

Ok, Do I need to buy a computer that has, let's say, Windows 10 pro, then buy the additional parts, such as the CPU that you have listed, and then install them in place of what is already inside of the computer?
i think i need to start a notebook containing the parts you listed, then put their meanings next to the words so i can have an easier time understanding the tech talk. id like to understand the meaning and function of each component so ill have an easier time relating to what you are explaining to me. I wish i had an easier time understanding but this is all sort of new to me.
Donald Austin

austindonald1

PostFri Jan 25, 2019 8:55 pm

im starting to slowly understand the computer and components needed.... exciting stuff. im wondering if i could locate a complete package (minus the monitor) for around 2000.00 Also wondering if it may be more affordable buying the shell or bare casing and then parts seperate...arrgghhh :oops: :oops: , so much learning and so many decisions...
Donald Austin

Carsten Sellberg

PostSat Jan 26, 2019 12:35 pm

Hi.

Computer chips is produced on a big round slice of silicon called a wafer, that later are cut into smaller pieces, one for each chip. Until now the smallest sized chips was produced on what we call 12nm or 14nm process nodes. From mid 2019 will the new Ryzen 3rd generation be produced on what is called 7nm. This will give double the number of chips, that can be produced from a wafer of the same size. Giving a smaller cost of manufacture together with faster speeds.

With you budget will you need to wait for the new 3rd generation 7nm Ryzen to come in mid 2019.

An another expensive part inside the PC is the Graphics Card. For 4K work is at least one with 8 GB vRam recommended. It can be a nVidea or AMD graphics card. AMD is cheapest and we expect new 7 nm graphics cards later in 2019 call Navi. With you budget do I recommend you to wait for it, as it will give more performance for the dollar.

What you describe as a shell or bare casing, do others normally call a PC Cabinet.

I expect you will be able to order and receive the separate parts, but then you will need to find somebody who can build and test it for you. The easiest will be if you have a friend or family member that have tried it before. Do you know somebody that game and have build their own gaming PC?

If you don't, do suggest I you find a small company that will do it for you.

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

Dermot Shane

PostSat Jan 26, 2019 5:58 pm

if you need to grade export HD then a very inexpensive machine will do the job, the expences only mount when mastering at 4k

if delivering in HD, on limited resources i'd sooner spend the resources on renting callibration system, find a good used PanaPlasma, a lut box, and find a decent / refurb'd z800 and drop in a decent /recent GPU (1070Ti works well for HD) and decklink mini output card, Contour shuttle and StreamDeck and walk away around 2k with a room that exports accurate masters in HD

in the real world a working 4k suite is far north of 60k;
-16c->24c machine/128g ram/2x2080Ti/decklinkPro4k/SAS raid card / 64tb SAS array
- monitor callibration system
- Flanders / Sony OLED
- LG C9 + lut box
- 4k External scopes with errror logging
- small surface of your choice
- Wacom/StreamDeck/Contour
- OFX plug-in's
- additional utlity software
- audio monitoring subsystem
- room enviroment control / lighting
- client friendly glass and chrome - chairs, tables etc
- machine to media manage /render / export + backup main machine = 16c->24c machine/64g ram/1x 2080Ti/decklinkPro4k/SAS raid card / 32tb SAS array

but that's what it takes in the real world - the machine is a small part of the big equation, i'd look at the big picture of what your are delivering, and work backwards from there, not focus on a single part untill you have the end game budgeted, i would put a premium on accurate monitoring, far FAR more important to me that pretty much anything else

the callibration part is absoultly key, and that's a significant cost that you may be able to share with another boutique shop, camera rental house or other similar group as it's something you need access to a few hours a month to check you mon once callibrated and stable

Sulo Kokki

PostSun Jan 27, 2019 9:08 pm

Carsten Sellberg wrote:But I am sorry. I don't think it will be good for Resolve.

Here is my comments:

Umm... what? :roll:

That spec there is a perfectly acceptable launchpad for Resolve, and should suffice if the price is right for the buyer. The GPU is fine, those deep-end 10 models have long legs.

You can and should have Resolve generate optimized media to an SSD. Using opt.media will give your system more mileage, and will allow you to focus on the work.

That's a good entry level system. HD will run like a dream. You should get good playback on 4K, too.
Linux Mint 19.3 | DaVinci Resolve Studio 17.1 | 2700x 32gb Radeon VII | macOS Mojave

Ole Kristiansen

PostSun Jan 27, 2019 9:35 pm

The i7 coffee lake cpu 8700k have only 16 pcie lanes - the gtx 1070 use pci x16 ! No cpu pci lanes for a Blackmagic card or the gtx 1070 will only do x8 !

austindonald1

PostSat Feb 02, 2019 4:33 am

Is there a book Black magic sells, an instruction manual explaining in detail each function or just the manual it comes with when you buy one?
Donald Austin

Krishna Pada

PostSat Feb 02, 2019 4:41 am

austindonald1 wrote:Is there a book Black magic sells, an instruction manual explaining in detail each function or just the manual it comes with when you buy one?

Resolve Manual is free for download and is available along with download of the software. (See the support page).
You can download the software, then print your own book. The only problem is, the book will be about 6000 pages. And new editions come too fast. :)
FILMWALLAH.
DR Studio. Mac M1 Studio Ultra 64 GB Ram, T7 for Resolve Cache
UMP G2, BMD Pocket 6K, Canon R5 C
Zeiss CP.3 15, 25, 50, 85. Zeiss Contax 25, 35, 50, 85, 135.

Uli Plank

PostSat Feb 02, 2019 5:28 am

No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

HaveBlue

PostSat Feb 02, 2019 5:53 am

I also don't think Windows Pro is needed for a single user. Unless you need the ability to join a server domain, there is going to be no functional difference using Home or Pro for Resolve. Save yourself $99. My PCs are all Pro but strictly because I have to keep them encrypted. My editing PC has an Intel 4670 and editing 4K XAVC works fine for me if that helps dial in your budget. Don't buy a PC that doesn't have an SSD system drive these days but 128GB SSD is really marginal for caching stuff.
W10Pro, Resolve Studio, Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB RAM, SSD and platter drives, GTX 1070 8GB, LG 10bit 4K 32" monitor with two 20" HD monitors

Carsten Sellberg

PostSat Feb 02, 2019 7:20 am

HaveBlue wrote:I also don't think Windows Pro is needed for a single user. Unless you need the ability to join a server domain, there is going to be no functional difference using Home or Pro for Resolve. Save yourself $99. My PCs are all Pro but strictly because I have to keep them encrypted. My editing PC has an Intel 4670 and editing 4K XAVC works fine for me if that helps dial in your budget. Don't buy a PC that doesn't have an SSD system drive these days but 128GB SSD is really marginal for caching stuff.

Hi.

The reason that I recommend Windows PRO is because Black Magic Design is recommend it for Resolve in the DaVinci Resolve 15 configuration guide. I didn't ask them which function they use to day in Windows that can be done with Windows Home?
Or what function in Windows PRO they may be consider for future upgrades. But I don't understand that somebody can recommend against Black Magic designs recommendation to save $99.

I don't know what the frame rate is of your 4K XAVC. Can it be 24p?
Donald is telling us that he is considering to buy a Black Magic 4 K Pocket Camera. It can record at up to 60 frames per second in 4K and up to 120 frames per second for windowed HD. I try to advice him accordingly. He will properly not need one SSD, but two SSD's.

And since I wrote to you last time Donald did I find this:

Custom-built Computers
Windows, Linux and Servers
$149.99

https://www.microcenter.com/site/servic ... build.aspx

I don't know how far you are located from a Micro Center, but when i check their prices do they follow the market. And also have cheap prices on previous generation CPU's.

But I must still recommend you to wait until mid 2019 and get a custom build for Resolve with a 3rd generation Ryzen CPU.

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

HaveBlue

PostSat Feb 02, 2019 7:35 am

My comment is directed at BMD not you. I understand that it is their recommendation. I also know the differences between Home and Pro.

Domain Join. Since Resolve can network projects in real time, this might be the only useful feature but I imagine it works without as most people won't have a domain controller.
Bitlocker. How this would be required is impossible as they would have to impose it as a requirement since it is optional.
RDP. Really? a dead standard anyway.
Group Policy. Only useful for administration of windows.
Hyper Visor enhancements. A PC can barely run one instance of Resolve as it is.

...so that's why I question it.
W10Pro, Resolve Studio, Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB RAM, SSD and platter drives, GTX 1070 8GB, LG 10bit 4K 32" monitor with two 20" HD monitors

roger.magnusson

PostSat Feb 02, 2019 8:05 am

You forgot the most important difference. The Pro version supports up to two CPU sockets, Home doesn’t.

If you use Fusion you might also want more memory than 128GB for caching, but that’s not supported in the Home version.

HaveBlue

PostSat Feb 02, 2019 5:31 pm

Oh you're right. They did change the memory limit to 512gb in pro.

I believe Home also supports two sockets though. To go to four sockets you have to buy Windows Pro for Work Stations edition.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

roger.magnusson

PostSat Feb 02, 2019 6:30 pm

No, just one CPU socket on the Home version. The computer will still work if you install a second CPU, but it will only ever see one of them.

Memory limit on Pro is 2TB.

peterjackson

PostSat Feb 02, 2019 6:57 pm

... you can always upgrade from home to pro. All it takes is a click in the store and a reboot.
I don't get the debate.
5950x, 3090, 128GB.

HaveBlue

PostSat Feb 02, 2019 8:04 pm

Indeed most people won't buy a dual socket. Previous versions of windows home definitely were limited to one socket. MS is not very clear on Windows ten.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 23f?auth=1

My only Xeon died years ago and I have pro on the rest anyway so I can't test the theory. It's good you brought up these points. Anyone working resolve or any machine in a professional business environment should consider Windows pro but you could save $99.

Also windows home PC's with uefi have support for device encryption on the system drive since windows 8.0

It is also possible to install gpedit on Windows home. This may allow deferring windows updates some weeks like in pro which avoids you bring the guinea pig for bad updates.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

roger.magnusson

PostSat Feb 02, 2019 8:29 pm

The linked answer isn't from a Microsoft employee and is both incorrect and incomplete.

Windows Pro for Workstations looks nice, no forced install of Candy Crush. :D
(I know you can disable it in the other versions, but I don't like that I have to)

Dave Pitman

PostSat Feb 02, 2019 8:58 pm

Carsten Sellberg wrote:There have just been an another thread in this forum, where several of us gave some recommendations. There is even a PCPartPicker part list.

Regards Carsten.

Here is my current evolution of the parts list. It includes a placeholder for the Radeon VII card due out soon.

Total $3000

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/dl%40pitm ... ved/8fDRJx

I still don't know if I will be waiting till August or not but this is where I'm at as of now
Resolve 18.1.4 Studio
Win 11 Home 10.0.22621 Build 22621 x64
i7-10750H CPU | RAM 32.0 GB | RTX 2070 (maxQ) 452.06 Driver

Carsten Sellberg

PostSat Feb 02, 2019 11:19 pm

Dave Pitman wrote: Here is my current evolution of the parts list.

Hi.

When I short scanned your pcpartpicker list do I see you choose:

G.Skill - Trident Z 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory

That is not recommended as the Threadripper CPU is a QUAD memory design.
For a total af 32 GB do you need 4x8 GB memory modules.

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

Dave Pitman

PostSat Feb 02, 2019 11:29 pm

Hi Carsten,

My plan would be to add an additional 32 Gbs (2x16) at a later date. If I want to keep the option of installing 128 total at some point, I would have to start over if I had used 8Gb modules.

Is this a poor strategy?
Resolve 18.1.4 Studio
Win 11 Home 10.0.22621 Build 22621 x64
i7-10750H CPU | RAM 32.0 GB | RTX 2070 (maxQ) 452.06 Driver

Carsten Sellberg

PostSat Feb 02, 2019 11:45 pm

Hi Dave.

As I see you case is it completely different from Donalds case. I don't see any advantages to handle both in the same thread. I will suggest you to make you own thread. Then can I later tell you my view on your strategy.

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

austindonald1

PostSun Feb 03, 2019 7:05 pm

thanks everyone for replying, some really good info, may take a while for me to digest, but i will eventually. :shock: :geek:
Donald Austin

austindonald1

PostThu Mar 14, 2019 7:26 pm

does the new braw require less hardware and software?

Also , i was wondering if i could use a nice 32 inch smart tv for the monitor, or is there a cheaper better solution?
Donald Austin

Carsten Sellberg

PostThu Mar 14, 2019 10:11 pm

austindonald1 wrote: does the new braw require less hardware and software?

Hi again Donald.

Yes, the new BRaw require less hardware. The software will be the same. So can forget the AMD Top CPU called the Threadripper and its x399 motherboards.

If your budget still are 2000 USD will I suggest you look at a 3rd generation 7 nm Ryzen CPU coming mid 2019 plus a coming X570 motherboard together with the coming AMD 7nm GPU called Navi.

I expect AMD to show it at the end of May with rumored deliveries to be in early July.
The AMD Navi Graphics Cards are rumored around one month later.

I will suggest you consider to get it built at Micro Center. Here is a link:

Custom-built Computers
Windows, Linux and Servers
$149.99

https://www.microcenter.com/site/servic ... build.aspx

I don't know how far you are located from a Micro Center?

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

Fabian Frank

PostThu Mar 14, 2019 10:36 pm

Carsten Sellberg wrote:

Regards Carsten.

Hi,
I learned quite a bit in your explanations...thanks. I am thinking of building a small video PC and saw you recommendation above. What do you think about the ASRock X399M Taichi Mainboard? This is the smaller version of you choice above. I want a small case, this is why. Any thoughts?
Thanks.
Fabian Frank

Carsten Sellberg

PostFri Mar 15, 2019 4:38 am

Fabian Frank wrote: I am thinking of building a small video PC

Hi Fabian.

I can't see that building a small sized PC for Resolve, is the same situation as in this thread. Suggest you make your own thread. Then i will be very happy to answer you.

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

austindonald1

PostTue Mar 19, 2019 6:00 pm

Waiting for the new BMPCC4k on pre order, I cancelled and went with a new BMPCC off of ebay, and I am hoping I can film in 'braw'? And maybe not so expensive computer editing system?
Donald Austin

VioletWolf

PostTue Mar 19, 2019 7:40 pm

I've built a LOT of computers in the last 20 years. It's not too hard to do yourself if you take the time to study. These days there are plenty of how-to videos on YouTube.

The reason for my post is to say that I usually don't go with the latest CPU as they are usually very pricey. I tend to go one generation (or two) back. And the last few years I've been going with AMD manufacturer as they have gotten very good for the price compared to Intel.

For graphics usage spend the $ on RAM and Video Card. These days the NVidia "RTX" line of cards is great value.

I can generally build a $5000 (retail) computer for around $1500 to $2000.
Resolve 17.1.1 | Windows 10 x64 (Latest Updates) | AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
| 32GB RAM |MSI NVIDIA RTX 2070 8 Gig - Driver 457.51 | Refugee from Adobe Premiere / After Effects

Carsten Sellberg

PostTue Mar 19, 2019 8:59 pm

VioletWolf wrote: The reason for my post is to say that I usually don't go with the latest CPU as they are usually very pricey. I tend to go one generation (or two) back.

Hi VioletWolf.

Donald wrote that he is 'going to buy a black magic 4 k pocket camera and a new computer'.

Both Intel and AMD have both a Main Line of CPU's and a TOP HEDT Line of CPU's. One of the main advantages of the HEDT line motherboards are the high number of PCI lanes. Until now can only Top HEDT systems be recommended for 4K work in Resolve. And Donald want a black magic 4 k pocket camera.

But from mid 2019 will AMD come with 12-16 cores CPU's in their cheaper Main Line. The 3rd generation Ryzen CPU's will be manufactured in the new 7nm process node, that both will be faster and cheaper to manufacturer. They will also come with PCIe 4.0, that will have double the bandwidth of the OLD PCIe 3.0 and therefore require fewer PCI lanes than the OLD PCIe 3.0 Interfaces.

I am sorry, but I can't see how the Previous generation Top HEDT line systems, can be cheaper than the coming 3rd generation Ryzen CPU of the Main line system with its cheap 7nm process node and PCIe ver. 4.0. From mid 2019 will Resolve system for 4K move from the Top HEDT line to the cheaper Main line systems.

You also write: ' These days the NVidia "RTX" line of cards is great value.'
I don't agree, but I wonder how many many computer you have build for Gaming and how many computers you have build for working with Resolve in 4K?

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

VioletWolf

PostTue Mar 19, 2019 9:47 pm

Carsten Sellberg wrote:
VioletWolf wrote: The reason for my post is to say that I usually don't go with the latest CPU as they are usually very pricey. I tend to go one generation (or two) back.

Hi VioletWolf.

Donald wrote that he is 'going to buy a black magic 4 k pocket camera and a new computer'.

Yes indeed, the context of this thread is a beginner on a budget... My advice is good in that context.

Carsten Sellberg wrote:But from mid 2019 will AMD come with 12-16 cores CPU's in their cheaper Main Line. The 3rd generation Ryzen CPU's will be manufactured in the new 7nm process node, that both will be faster and cheaper to manufacturer.

This is good news Carsten I'll make sure to have a look for my own systems when they come out.

Carsten Sellberg wrote:You also write: ' These days the NVidia "RTX" line of cards is great value.'
I don't agree, but I wonder how many many computer you have build for Gaming and how many computers you have build for working with Resolve in 4K?

Regards Carsten.

Well I'm not a gamer so high refresh rates etc. are not required in the systems that I build. But I've been building computers since the Commodore 64 in the 1980's, with decades of commercial use, so the number I have built are in the several dozens. (Lately several budget machines for 4k video editing). RTX kicks butt in all benchmarks "with comparably priced cards" even with Resolve. I run them and have been very surprised with the value. But don't take my word for it:
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/artic ... ance-1238/

But again the context of this thread is a beginner on a budget.. And not who's got more knowledge, or money
| 32GB RAM |MSI NVIDIA RTX 2070 8 Gig - Driver 457.51 | Refugee from Adobe Premiere / After Effects

MishaEngel

PostWed Mar 20, 2019 1:12 pm

It doesn't matter if you take a $700 RTX2080 or a $5,500 Quadro RTX8000, the $700 Radeon VII is the better card in resolve.

Since the new 419.17 NVidia drivers, NVidia lost it's memory compression and agressive branch predection due to security risks https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4772/~/security-bulletin%3A-nvidia-gpu-display-driver---february-2019

Most current GPU's (VEGA 56 and up or RTX2070 and up) are fast enough in resolve, it's now all about raw memory bandwidth and the Radeon VII has a lot more of that, than any current NVidia card.

There is good news on the horizon, NVidia will also make more use of HBM in the future (and pay royalties to AMD for this) https://www.marketwatch.com/press-release/samsung-electronics-introduces-new-high-bandwidth-memory-technologytailored-to-data-centers-graphic-applications-and-ai-2019-03-19

VioletWolf

PostWed Mar 20, 2019 7:08 pm

Thanks Misha,

That's a new development in the NVidia drivers that I was not aware of.

Also very exciting to see where these new chip architectures lead us.

Note though Puget Systems shows a small edge going to the RTX over VII in Davinci benchmark testing as of last week 12th March 2019 here: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/artic ... ance-1382/ Puget is a great resource for spec'ing machines to run Resolve.

I'm not arguing at all, just sharing info, discussion is always good. And honestly the differences in performance is very minor with these cards these days. And price difference is like $50 or something. In our case we are usually running other software that benefit from CUDA so NVidia makes the most sense. (For now lol)

MishaEngel

PostWed Mar 20, 2019 9:03 pm

Puget uses old drivers (with security risk) for the NVidia cards.
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/DaVinci-Resolve-15-AMD-Radeon-VII-16GB-Performance-1382/

Here they use the new drivers.
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/DaVinci-Resolve-15-NVIDIA-Quadro-RTX-Performance-1388/
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/DaVinci-Resolve-15-NVIDIA-Titan-RTX-Performance-1328/

Look at the difference at 8k red files with TNR, Radeon VII 15 fps vs. Quadro RTX6000/8000 11/10 fps.
Or Radeon VII 15 fps vs. RTX2080 8 fps (both have a MSRP of around $700)

Radeon VII $700
RTX2080 $700
RTX2080ti $1200
RTX Titan X $2500
Quadro RTX 6000 $4000(massive price drop compared to intro $6300)

VioletWolf

PostWed Mar 20, 2019 9:56 pm

What I also see is the RTX 2080 Ti 11gb holding it's own against the Titan RTX 24gb. ;)

And with the new drivers vs old, it's benching 862.3 down from 876 in overall color grading. A difference of approx 1.5%. Not something to lose sleep over. I'm sure that's going to change on the next driver iteration.

AMD cards are great. And if you don't need CUDA for other applications then why not. I use AMD CPU's so there's no bias here.

Back on Topic:

The thread is minimum requirements to run Resolve for 4k editing and a budget of $2k.

Another budget suggestion: Buy used parts, and build a usable computer for 4k video editing and grading for under $1k. I just built one for my daughter with used parts for around $650. 4k editing, & 1080 multi-cam editing, with no issues.

High powered Used Parts can be had cheaply these days with gamers dumping gear to upgrade every couple of months.
Next

Return to DaVinci Resolve