Copy Power Grades to new database

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Mike C Bonner

Copy Power Grades to new database

PostMon Jan 21, 2019 11:23 pm

I thought it was time I slimmed down my database so I created a new disk database.
I collected a number of power grades that I want to copy over to be available in my new projects, but I am unable to copy them over (Error:failed to coy still).

I honestly don't remember if I've ever done this before, so I don't know if it is a bug or law.
I also can't export them to a folder, but I can open up the node graph, drag nodes, etc.
Nor do I know where the save location is for the power grades over the project stills.

Any ideas?

Marc Wielage

Re: Copy Power Grades to new database

PostTue Jan 22, 2019 7:19 am

You should be able to select all of them in the Gallery window, export them to another drive, then open the new project in the new database, and import them all as new PowerGrades. If you make sure you use the "Use Labels on Still Export" option, the PowerGrades will retain those names.

I just had to do this at the first of the year when I started a new 2019 Project Database, and it was a very simple matter to bring across the old PowerGrades.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Dermot Shane

PostTue Jan 22, 2019 3:30 pm

i have a"powegrades" project,
copy all powergrades into that
save DRP with still and luts
restore powergrades to their existing folders

Mike C Bonner

PostTue Jan 22, 2019 5:53 pm

Thanks for the advice, guys.
But I can't copy or export any of them. "Failed to retrieve still image from disk" There must be a broken link somewhere.
I searched the gallery hidden folder and I see the stills for individual projects, but not the power grades. Are power grades saved to a different location than the file path you can set under project settings, because I can't find them.
But, I can still access the node graph, names, thumbnail, etc., so they have to be somewhere.
Would love to figure this out so I don't have to go through this with every new database.

Mike C Bonner

PostWed Jan 23, 2019 2:07 am

Well, I was poking around and hit the 3 dots, and saw that you can change your PowerGrade path.
I was able to apply my PowerGrades to a clip and create new stills, in the new location, that I was able to copy over to the new database. I'm not sure what I did to the old location, but at least I know where they are now.

Israel Diaz Torralba

PostMon Nov 16, 2020 7:44 pm

hello,

Also I need export all the grades from version 17 to return to 16 I will like return to 16 and I messed up the database when updating it I want to take the powergrades at least..

In edit for me 17 it does not work well, neither do the keyboard shortcuts and saving the luts either

I will like export grades but give me this error

Code: Select all
Failed to export still: Failed to retrieve still
image from disk, export failed for still
7e2aab25-3bd3-4d1f-8dba-b615fd6108f2

And I am applying them one by one to re-export without the error see the video . The aplication not save good the data (parameters ) of the lut.

sorry my bad english.

Return to DaVinci Resolve