Specific Media Management and Laptops

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Paul Curtis

Specific Media Management and Laptops

PostTue Jan 22, 2019 5:14 pm

Wrapping my head around this.

I have 4TB of R3D files on a NAS and running Resolve Studio. My workstation has my project set up neatly, i've got the R3D files, i've sync'd to my production audio and all seems fine. I've generated optimised media as well so performance is zippy. Running RWG/LogG10 and the monitoring pipeline is good.

Now i also want this on my MBP.

So i can open the same project fine and connected to the NAS all is good. I can generate Optimised Media for the Mac as well. But i want to be able to run when not connected to the network.

I was hoping that if i had optimised media created locally on the MBP then i could still use the project even though the source R3D files are not linked. But it looks like i can't unless i'm missing a check box.

So one possibility is to render R3Ds to 2K Proxy Media in RWG/LogG10 so i can still grade them.

But you cannot relink to a different file format, or chance source directory. In fact i've not been able to swap an R3D for a mov by any method. Also as those R3D files have had production audio channels added to them even if i could swap R3D to mov then i don't know that all the audio would be preserved.

So am out out of luck here?

Seems not an unusual situation?

help!
Paul

franciscovaldez

Re: Specific Media Management and Laptops

PostTue Jan 22, 2019 8:13 pm

There might be several different ways to do this.

What I would do is reconform to the desired image media. Could be via xml or with the reconform from bins command.

For sound I would export a flattened audio version and use that as a single stereo track. Unless I was mastering audio in resolve, for which I would just copy the audio into the new timeline or duplicate the old one with the video deleted and then relink to the audio source now on my local drive.
MacBook Pro 13"
M2
UltraStudio 4K

Mac Pro
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
AMD FirePro D700 6 GB

Paul Curtis

PostTue Jan 22, 2019 8:40 pm

franciscovaldez wrote:There might be several different ways to do this.

What I would do is reconform to the desired image media. Could be via xml or with the reconform from bins command.

For sound I would export a flattened audio version and use that as a single stereo track. Unless I was mastering audio in resolve, for which I would just copy the audio into the new timeline or duplicate the old one with the video deleted and then relink to the audio source now on my local drive.

Thanks for the reply.

So if i bring in the *new* .mov versions of the R3D then reconform from bin that should work, the case is how to ensure it would handle the change from .r3d to .mov.

I am mastering the audio in resolve, the project was original from P Pro but now in Resolve for audio and colour. Next time maybe we'll edit in Resolve as well.

I will keep experimenting.

You know the *easiest* thing would be to allow me to work with the optimised media only - that would be perfect, awesome and sweet. I wonder why we can't...

thanks
Paul

Dermot Shane

PostTue Jan 22, 2019 9:14 pm

Paul Curtis wrote:So i can open the same project fine and connected to the NAS all is good. I can generate Optimised Media for the Mac as well. But i want to be able to run when not connected to the network.

I was hoping that if i had optimised media created locally on the MBP then i could still use the project even though the source R3D files are not linked. But it looks like i can't unless i'm missing a check box.

Paul;

have you tried creating a project archive with optimised media

Paul Curtis

PostTue Jan 22, 2019 11:09 pm

Dermot Shane wrote:
Paul Curtis wrote:So i can open the same project fine and connected to the NAS all is good. I can generate Optimised Media for the Mac as well. But i want to be able to run when not connected to the network.

Paul;

have you tried creating a project archive with optimised media

Hey Dermot,

I haven't, i am literally giving Resolve a fresh go and liking it, so right now i'm wrapping my head around the details. I am currently in the Media Management table creating transcodes for all the R3D files in the timeline then i was going to bring them in as a bin. So i have a bin of R3D and a bin of .mov and then i'm hoping i can select all the video clips on the timeline (not audio) and Reconform from each Bin as required.

I just looked at the archive and it says it will pack up all the media including the optimised media. But i'll end up with an archive 5TB or greater because it will embed all the source 4TB of R3Ds on the server and i won't have room on the 2TB SSD of the MacBook Pro. So not quite sure what the archive function will offer.

Also, is there any way to tell in the UI when Resolve is using Optimised Media, like an icon or something? That would be super useful?

cheers
Paul

Dermot Shane

PostTue Jan 22, 2019 11:27 pm

there is a icon in the media pool, and i think in color page, i rarely-to-never use that function tho

if you had the space i suppose one could archive and then delete the cam orig to move the optimised around?

and there's a "rediscover optmised media" somewhere in there, maybe worth pokeing about / testing

sorry i'm a bit useless on this file as i just don't use it

i'm working on locked pic, so the archive thing works well there, maybe 6Tb all up for a feature, that fits on one drive that i can move about as needed

i do work at home alot, move the archive once, DRP's back and forth after that

Igor Riđanović

PostWed Jan 23, 2019 3:12 am

I just optimized a DNxHR file inside of a Quicktime and hid the Quicktime file. The optimized media is still online. I wonder if your problem is specific to R3D or any RAW media.

You may want to do a similar test with an R3D, but when you hide the file replace it with a dummy file with the same *.R3D file name. It's possible Resolve just needs to establish the source files are still there without actually checking if they are valid R3D files.
www.metafide.com - DaVinci Resolve™ Apps

Paul Curtis

PostWed Jan 23, 2019 9:19 am

Igor Riđanović wrote:I just optimized a DNxHR file inside of a Quicktime and hid the Quicktime file. The optimized media is still online. I wonder if your problem is specific to R3D or any RAW media.

You may want to do a similar test with an R3D, but when you hide the file replace it with a dummy file with the same *.R3D file name. It's possible Resolve just needs to establish the source files are still there without actually checking if they are valid R3D files.

Hi Igor,

Thanks again. What do you mean by 'hide' the file, you mean in the finder, not resolve, there's no hide function in resolve?

If you save that project and load it again i think it will not work. I think it may need to scan and read the file metadata on start and then move on to the optimised media.

Interesting idea about creating dummy files! That's worth a shot although i feel it wouldn't work but will try that approach.

I think having two bins, one with R3D and one with .MOV and then reconforming from one to the other might be the only solution. I just have to make sure it doesn't mess with the Audio side...

Thanks Dermot about the icon, will hunt more for that..

cheers
Paul

Igor Riđanović

PostWed Jan 23, 2019 4:37 pm

By "hiding" I mean hiding on the OS level. Like moving the file to another directory. I restarted the Resolve and it didn't complain that the original MOV was missing. It went straight to the optimized file. This was on Windows 15.2.

The reason I think the dummy file approach would work is that if Resolve actually had to validate each and every R3D file in the bins at startup, project loading would take a while in certain situations.
www.metafide.com - DaVinci Resolve™ Apps

Return to DaVinci Resolve