Fusion Tab - add additional Media-In Source into Comp

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Peter Cordes

Fusion Tab - add additional Media-In Source into Comp

PostThu Oct 11, 2018 9:26 am

Hi,

when I create a fusion clip from a timeline with 3 stacked clips, Resolve creates a comp at the fusion page with 3 media-in nodes.

After having created a comp with some nodes, I want to add an additional clip.

So ... I go to the edit page, select the fusion clip, click "open in timeline" and I have the timeline with the 3 prior clips.
Now I can place the 4th clip on the 4th video track - no problem.

But ... when I go back to the fusion clip and then go to the fusion page, there is no 4th media-in node.

Also when I add manually a media-in node, there's no 4th layer (Layer Nr. 3) I can use for that media-in node.

What's the correct way to add an additional clip from the timeline / edit page to an existing comp on the fusion page?

I'm on Resolve Studion 15.1.1 on Windows 10 Pro.

Thanks a lot for your help.
Peter

sempliok

Re: Fusion Tab - add additional Media-In Source into Comp

PostThu Oct 11, 2018 10:42 am

Just drag the additional clip from the media pool to the fusion schematic. There is a button for the media pool in the upper left corner of the fusion page.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

ScottAckerlund

PostTue Jan 22, 2019 10:22 pm

sempliok wrote:Just drag the additional clip from the media pool to the fusion schematic. There is a button for the media pool in the upper left corner of the fusion page.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

But what if the clip in the media pool is longer than you want and you just want to select an in and out point? Is this possible to do?

roger.magnusson

PostTue Jan 22, 2019 10:42 pm

Yes, the MediaIn node has a "Global In/Out" control where you set the in/out points.

paytonfrost

PostSat Feb 06, 2021 8:10 pm

For anyone coming to this page later, the solution can be found in this thread

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=120294

The simple answer is that when you add a new Media In node, there's a control called "Layers" in the inspector tab that allows you to select which video layer the media in corresponds to. So if I wanted to add a new clip to the comp, I could open the fusion comp as a timeline, drag the video file onto a new video layer (for example the 2nd layer), trim it up how I want it, then go back to the overall fusion comp page, add a Media In node, and select layer 1 in the inspector tab (it starts at 0, so selecting 1 means the 2nd layer in the timeline).

I've been searching for this solution for weeks! So glad I finally figured it out!

home_user

PostThu Sep 02, 2021 3:15 am

@paytonfrost, I'm trying to do this currently, but I still cannot see another layer. What am I missing?

Take a look: 2 videos in the timeline, yet MediaIn2 only has layer 0 available...

https://imgur.com/a/YHB5dP6

Return to DaVinci Resolve