eGPU Pro fan, still working after laptop power off.

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Krzysztof Sobieranski

eGPU Pro fan, still working after laptop power off.

PostSun Jan 13, 2019 9:36 am

Hello. I am an eGPU Pro user and I have a question. Why, after turning off the computer, the eGPU fan is still working. It has the impression that it does not turn off at all.

Does any of you have the same?
Chrs
iSLATE

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

Re: eGPU Pro fan, still working after laptop power off.

PostTue Jan 15, 2019 9:10 pm

The eGPU fan will still operate based on the unit being plugged in and the need to regulate the temperature of the device.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

martincho

PostWed Jan 16, 2019 10:13 am

Mine too! And keeps on spinning forever after either putting the macbook pro to sleep or turning it off. Although the light goes off. So I have to unplug it every-time, but then my monitor is connected to it so is not an option.

When I unboxed the product, there was quite a bit of moist where the ports are, even a couple of water drops! Never saw anything like that before.

So now that you mentioned it, I wonder if the issue with the fan is normal egpu pro behaviour, or I should send it back to Apple for exchange.

Otherwise is very silent and slick ;)

Krzysztof Sobieranski

PostSat Jan 19, 2019 10:48 pm

Thank you for the explanation Tony, but somehow do not speak to me.

First. Even if after turning off the eGPU, the fans cool the interior, should the ventilation last for example 5 hours or all night?

Secondly. I save energy at home and turn off the device for the time when I am not working ... for the night too. This eGPU is not ecological ;-).

I think that Blackmagicdesign should introduce some update and switch off the eGPU unit completely after the interior cools down.

Chris
iSLATE

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSat Jan 19, 2019 11:05 pm

Tony Rivera wrote:The eGPU fan will still operate based on the unit being plugged in and the need to regulate the temperature of the device.

How long it can be hot when it's not used? Surely GPUs have very good energy management and quickly can be cooled down and go to idle mode.
Many laptops even when used don't use fans.
Sounds like a bug.

jeffbenjam

PostMon Jan 21, 2019 5:18 pm

I recently reviewed the eGPU Pro over at 9to5Mac. I too was confused by this behavior, because the original Blackmagic eGPU powers off as soon as the Thunderbolt 3 cable is removed, or when the computer sleeps. On the eGPU Pro, the unit powers on as soon as it receives power from the power cable, regardless of whether or not the Thunderbolt 3 senses a host.

What I found is that the eGPU Pro does seem to time out, and essentially go idle after a period of inactivity. I didn't measure the time exactly, but I think it's around 10 minutes, +/- 5 minutes. At any rate, the unit does power off when it senses that it's not connected to a Thunderbolt 3 host, which means it shouldn't needlessly use up power.

You can watch my full review here: https://9to5mac.com/2019/01/18/blackmag ... ro-review/ where I discuss this and other things about the Blackmagic eGPU Pro. I hope it's okay to link this. If not, please let me know and I will edit.

Hope this helps,

Jeff
Editor, 9to5Mac
@JeffBenjam

Mishkin

PostWed Jan 23, 2019 12:41 pm

Hi. I bought this eGPU Pro earlier this week. I am having the same problem. Even if I unmount the dGPU by clicking Disconnect "AMD Radeon RX Vega 56", then switch off my 2018 MacBook Pro, then go to bed, 8 or 9 hours later the fan in the eGPU pro is still operating. I can hear it.

This can't be right because 1. it consumes electricity unnecessarily and 2. eventually it will wear out the fan motor unnecessarily.

Blackmagic, please can you tell me what the solution to this problem is?

Many thanks

Mishkin

Mishkin

PostWed Jan 23, 2019 1:25 pm

Hi again. I just downloaded a decibel meter from the App Store because the fan noise became very loud - I think as a result of Photos doing some processing. But now no demand is being placed on the eGPU...and the fan is running at between 90 and 105 decibels. This is loud. Something is definitely not right. Please can you advise me, Blackmagic. Should your customers wait for Apple to address this via the next os update? or should I return this thing to Apple? Many thanks.

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jan 23, 2019 8:02 pm

You can contact your regions support office if you feel that the fan noise is a concern and we can address it directly. This would require the unit being sent to our facilities. If you choose to receive an immediate replacement, this would be directed to the Apple location you purchased it from.

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

leonardlco

PostMon Feb 04, 2019 5:04 pm

I received my Blackmagic eGPU Pro a few days ago, and the fan has been on ever since plugging it in/connecting it to my 2018 MacBook Pro. Each morning I disconnect my MacBook Pro from the eGPU, and after returning several hours later to reconnect, the fan is still running. Again, the fan never stops running.

Reading the forums, it seems to be mixed concerns. But, it just doesn't seem logical. Before I return it back to Apple, is this normal? Is there a fix for it? :cry:

Aktenschrank

PostTue Mar 05, 2019 7:40 am

Same issue here. When I put my MacBook Pro to sleep in clamshell mode and leave everything connected, the fans will spin endlessly (they never stopped since I plugged the unit in). Setup is MacBook Pro -> eGPU Pro ->LG 5k UltraFine. Any idea how to workaround this?

vince5782

PostWed Mar 06, 2019 1:35 pm

I just received my brand new eGPU (the first with the Radeon pro 580 inside) and same problem.

Fan run at full throttle all the time and I measured 68db just beside my hears ...

The problem appears just after I plug the eGPU to my macbook pro 13".

Apple support is already informed but redirected me to you.

BlackMagic please find a solution it's just impossible to work in these conditions.

Cheers,

Vincent

Uli Plank

PostThu Mar 07, 2019 2:39 am

In my experience, the eGPU with the 580 is stopping the fan after a short period when the computer sleeps.
The complaint above should only apply to the 'Pro' with the Vega, other than they silently changed the behavior of the older model.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Apr 12, 2019 6:13 pm

As I stated earlier in this thread:
You can contact your regions support office if you feel that the fan noise is a concern and we can address it directly. This would require the unit being sent to our facilities. If you choose to receive an immediate replacement, this would be directed to the Apple location you purchased it from.

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Claudio Schuetz

PostSun Sep 15, 2019 4:54 am

Found this thread...
Recently bought the eGPU Pro. When disconnecting or switching my MBP off, the eGPU sometimes switches off after some minutes, sometimes it is running the night through.
Is there any firmware/driver update available since April when the thread started?
AND: about the noise: I have my setup on the first floor and still can hear the unit in my basement. Is that normal? dB Meter on iPhone says around 50-60dB, but constantly ... even with no load.
I considered buying the BMD eGPO Pro rather than a much cheaper self made eGPO housing only because of the lower noise. Can't imagine that Sonnet or Razor are even louder.

mietek

PostMon Feb 10, 2020 5:15 pm

Dear Tony, what does “we can address it directly” mean? Is there a firmware update or hardware revision that corrects the fan behavior of the Blackmagic eGPU Pro?

Return to Post Production