US Support Issue with BMPCC 4K.

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

cimusfilms

US Support Issue with BMPCC 4K.

PostThu Jan 24, 2019 8:47 am

I would like to tell about my issue with US support for my BMPCC 4K.

I think this camera is great, but I was hoping the device quality was going to be better than the original BMPCC (I own 3 of them). Unfortunately, it's not the case.

The first issue I had, is that when I opened the box the camera plastic cap was not on the lens mount, but rather down in the box. The sensor was full of dust. I had various issues with the camera shutting down by itself, and after a few weeks the only thing I had was a white screen, it began intermittent, but after permanent. Anyway, living in Mexico I sent my camera back to US support for warranty.

Once repaired, they sent it back to Mexico, they didn't declare it for customs as they should have. At least that’s what Mexican customs say. They informed me that the shipment only comes with an invoice with the USD 1295 value, and BM support didn't mention this was the return of a faulty product. Thus camera is now blocked in Mexican Customs, who want me to pay again the whole importation taxes I already paid (USD 370).

I really need BM US support to assist me in this issue, but they didn’t answer my last email. Joining US support by phone is really a pain, you will wait 10 or 15 minutes, and if they are not available, they won't call you back. I need them to confirm if they omitted to mention the camera was the return of a faulty product. I’m not telling they did something wrong, but I’m not sure they joined the documents they were supposed to.

Would anyone have an advice ? I feel desperate about this…

Jean-David

Denny Smith

Re: US Support Issue with BMPCC 4K.

PostThu Jan 24, 2019 7:05 pm

A friend had a similar issue with Canadian Customs on a return repair, and he paid the custom fees (again) got his camera (this is the quickest way to get rhe camera back), then he got BM a Support USA to send him the copies of the Custom decelerations showing it was a repair return (be sure to include serial number), and filed for a Customs overpayment refund, which he eventually got.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

cimusfilms

PostThu Jan 24, 2019 10:33 pm

Denny Smith wrote:A friend had a similar issue with Canadian Customs on a return repair, and he paid the custom fees (again) got his camera (this is the quickest way to get rhe camera back), then he got BM a Support USA to send him the copies of the Custom decelerations showing it was a repair return (be sure to include serial number), and filed for a Customs overpayment refund, which he eventually got.
Cheers

Thanks so much Denny for this information. I'm not sure Mexican customs could act the same way. What I mainly deplore and regret is the lack of answer from Blackmagic. They don't even bother about that, I have no idea of the way they processed the custom, I suspect they declared it as a new camera being sold, but I'm not sure.
Jean-David

cimusfilms

PostThu Jan 24, 2019 10:49 pm

... and I'm not even sure if they keep the same serial number if the camera is exchanged instead of being repaired...

Adam Silver

PostFri Jan 25, 2019 2:58 am

cimusfilms wrote:Thanks so much Denny for this information. I'm not sure Mexican customs could act the same way. What I mainly deplore and regret is the lack of answer from Blackmagic. They don't even bother about that, I have no idea of the way they processed the custom, I suspect they declared it as a new camera being sold, but I'm not sure.
Jean-David

Blackmagic doesn't sell cameras directly, so I doubt they declared it as a new camera being SOLD.

cimusfilms

PostFri Jan 25, 2019 6:24 am

Adam Silver wrote:
cimusfilms wrote:Thanks so much Denny for this information. I'm not sure Mexican customs could act the same way. What I mainly deplore and regret is the lack of answer from Blackmagic. They don't even bother about that, I have no idea of the way they processed the custom, I suspect they declared it as a new camera being sold, but I'm not sure.
Jean-David

Blackmagic doesn't sell cameras directly, so I doubt they declared it as a new camera being SOLD.

Customs don't mind if BM sell directly or not.
If they send a "normal" invoice, then customs should see that as something sold, and will charge VAT, fees, and taxes. That's how customs work... They should use the corresponding Harmonized Trade Code...

Return to Cinematography