Set White Balance in EVF?

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

litote

Set White Balance in EVF?

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 10:44 am

Is there a way to set White Balance with the EVF controls, rather than having to set it with the fold-out LCD menu? I find it is easier to see the affect of the WB applied in the EVF, especially whe shooting outdoors.

Currently, I find I have to set the temperature value with a preset in the LCD menu, then look through the EVF, then make an adjustment to the temperature value and check again to see if the colours look "correct".

Also, Someone suggested he is able to see the WB more obviously in Video mode, and so he sets it here first to check, then switches to Film mode and uses this value for recording. Anyone else tried this?

Denny Smith

Re: Set White Balance in EVF?

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 5:22 pm

Using which camera? The Ursa Mini Pro and Broadcast Camera has a AWB button on the front, press it to set the WB.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

litote

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 6:33 pm

@ Denny Smith

I have the URSA Mini (not Pro). I don't see a dedicated button. But is there a menu in the EVF for WB?

litote

PostFri Feb 01, 2019 11:54 am

I received this reply from BlackMagic support:

I can confirm that is not possible to perform a white balance from the EVF itself as there is no return SDI communication to the camera.

In regards to performing a white balance you may wish to perform an auto white balance, the white box indicates the specific area of your image where the white balance will be calculated from, so your gray card should be positioned within this box. The square will change from white to green to confirm that the procedure has been performed successfully.

Return to Getting Started