Must have setup with BMPCC?

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Alex Schmied

Must have setup with BMPCC?

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 6:40 pm

Hi there!

After some time of considering about this and that, i decided to buy a used BMPCC.
Now i'm thinking about things i could need for that cam.

What is a must have and what is a good option?
I don't mean cages and gimbals, just mean adapters, filters and such things, that improve the function of the cam.

The first thing is the IR-Cut-Filter? Something like B+W MRC 82mm

The second is the external powering question. I saw some used BMPCCs with Sony-NP-Adapter, were you can put the big ones. So maby i can save some money, not buying a V-Mount and Battery.

The next thing are the lenses. I saw a good offer with two lenses: Fujinon - TV Zoom 1:1,6 / 14-84mm and Bauer Neovaron 1:1,8/12,5-75mm. Have somebody Experiences with these lenses? So maby i could save money also here, not buying the sigma 18-35mm 1.8 :)

I also thought about Speedbooster as a must have. But i can not decide which one. Because if i take MFT to Canon, i would just be able to use canon lenses. But is it possible to bring a speedbooster to BMPCC with mount for Sony E? Because i consider to buy also a fullframe Sony A7iii. Ist there any possibility to use the same lenses WITH Speedbooster?

Are there some other suggestions?

Thanks!
Alex

Brad Hurley

Re: Must have setup with BMPCC?

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 8:09 pm

Wow, lots of questions.

Yes, you'll need an IR/UV filter, but you should get your lenses first and then get the filters for those lenses. You will need neutral density filters too.

For lenses, if you get native MFT lenses you won't need speedboosters or adapters. There are plenty of good MFT lenses. If you already have Canon or Nikon lenses that's a different story but if you're starting from scratch the simplest approach is to get MFT lenses. The Olympus pro lenses are very good; some of the Panasonic zooms and primes are also good choices.

For batteries, check out the Small Rig battery mount, which is very cheap (not super-sturdy, but it works); that's small and can attach to the camera or a cage and will power the camera for a few hours. https://www.smallrig.com/smallrig-dv-ba ... -1765.html
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Alex Schmied

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 8:14 pm

I have adapter rings for all possibilities of the filter sizes, so i think i can just buy the biggest one (for maby bigger lense later).

Ok, so i'll start with MFT lenses, but what is about the possibility to get more light and less crop (with speedbooster)?

Ah, ok, this adapter i also saw in an offer with the BMPCC. So i just connect the big Sony guys or something like that.
Other way were the real big power bank, something like revolt 45000.

#Edit:
by the way... can i use this card here?
https://geizhals.eu/sandisk-extreme-pro ... &vl=de&v=e

don't know what V30 means

or is this the must have?
https://geizhals.eu/sandisk-extreme-pro ... &vl=de&v=e

Brad Hurley

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 8:41 pm

I don't think there's any way to adapt Sony e-mount lenses to MFT mount. I have some nice e-mount lenses but will never be able to use them on my BMPCC. Oh wait, you were talking about Sony batteries, not lenses?

The SD card availability is a big problem right now. You should go to the Cinematography section of this forum and look at the several threads there devoted to SD cards for the original Pocket Cinema Camera. The pickings are slim right now but hopefully there will be some workable solutions soon. Did your used camera come with any SD cards?

Alex Schmied

PostThu Jan 31, 2019 5:51 am

i'm talking abpout both :)
it would be very nice to adapt e-mount... pity that.

i did not buy one yet, but want to do it next days.
But what is the problem with the availability?
Are both linked cards ok for the BMPCC, or just one of these, or nothing like this?

Brad Hurley

PostThu Jan 31, 2019 11:51 am

Alex Schmied wrote:But what is the problem with the availability?
Are both linked cards ok for the BMPCC, or just one of these, or nothing like this?

See this thread (take time to read through the replies because there are corrections and additional information in them): viewtopic.php?f=2&t=83050

Basically the problem is that the latest generation of SD cards sold by SanDisk are no longer compatible with this camera; you have to find the older generation (going back a year or so), which is difficult, or you have to wait to see if SanDisk introduces new cards that are compatible again. At this point, apparently only Sandisk Extreme Pro UHS-I SDXC 95 MB/s cards that begin with the product prefix SDSDXP are known to be compatible. More info is available in the thread linked above.

Denny Smith

PostThu Jan 31, 2019 5:18 pm

Also, if you plan to use the HDMI or ext power connectors, yiu will need a good cage. Wooden Camera Pocket cages are availused for a good price.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Brad Hurley

PostThu Jan 31, 2019 5:24 pm

Speaking of HDMI, this is really the Achilles Heel of the Pocket camera. The mini-HDMI input is pretty fragile and once it breaks it can take the entire camera with it; it's not repairable. The reason for an external monitor is that the old Pocket's screen is hard to see in bright light, and it's small; an external monitor helps on those counts plus adds valuable features like false color for ensuring good exposures. But if you use an external monitor all the time on the Pocket you need to be very careful when attaching and removing the HDMI cable and you should protect it (with a cable clamp) to keep it from breaking the input.

There are other alternatives (a view-camera style hood, or a removable viewfinder that attaches to the screen); both have advantages and drawbacks, but I'm betting you'll find yourself looking for an alternative to the Pocket's built-in screen if you're going to do any shooting outdoors.

Alex Schmied

PostThu Jan 31, 2019 6:07 pm

thanks!
yes, i already red the thread above.
It seems to be no problem to get them in germany:
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B00NP63XGE?smi ... yRANExiC2w

I already have a Lilliput Field Monitor, need just anothe cable to mini HDMI.
Cable clamp is a good idea, but which one? what can be used as cable clamp in that case?

Brad Hurley

PostThu Jan 31, 2019 6:13 pm

Alex Schmied wrote:t
Cable clamp is a good idea, but which one? what can be used as cable clamp in that case?

Some of the cages come with cable clamps; the one from SmallRig does, not sure about Wooden Camera but you can check. Be sure you're looking at the cage for the old Pocket...with the new one out it can get confusing.

Alex Schmied

PostThu Jan 31, 2019 6:17 pm

i have a good offer with black cage skier rig, but without any clamps as it seems... maby i can get them in post.

#Edit: ah... it seems to have some cable holder

Brad Hurley

PostThu Jan 31, 2019 6:52 pm

Also have a look at this useful guide (it has a few mistakes and was written before the SD card crisis but is generally good):

http://data.pleintekst.nl/Blackmagic_Po ... Guide.html

Alex Schmied

PostThu Jan 31, 2019 6:55 pm

ok, i've ordered the thing! Hope it will last a good time :)

Thanks for the link!

Can anybody suggest an ir cut filter 82mm?
B+W seems to make lense flare, what is about Hoya? But i can not find any 82mm Hoya in germany.
Or are there better solutions?

#Edit:
can anybody also suggest a viewfinder for the BMPCC?
I've heard about Kamerar QV-1

Alex Schmied

PostSat Feb 02, 2019 9:04 pm

i got now one used Kamerar

Return to Getting Started