Monitor and Hardware Requirements

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

kkamin

Monitor and Hardware Requirements

PostSat Feb 02, 2019 2:27 am

Hello,

I'm sorry this is a newb question, and the reason for asking rather than Googling is that new monitor and hardware are coming out all the time and I want to get the most current answer possible.

I'd like to have a professional color grading monitor without breaking the bank. What are some monitor recommendations at entry level price and mid-level price, and do I need to feed the video signal through some kind of Blackmagic box (this confuses me a little).

Thanks for reading.

Uli Plank

Re: Monitor and Hardware Requirements

PostWed Feb 06, 2019 2:51 am

Yes, you do have to feed it through some I/O device by BM, that's how they finance software development.
Please check others posts here in the forum, it has been discussed a thousand times. There is one Benq monitor which shouldn't be too bad.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Joshua_G

PostWed Feb 06, 2019 10:56 am

The recommended, (relatively) budget friendly monitor is BenQ SW271: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... hd_4k.html .
It will need to be fed from one of the Blackmagic Design outputting devices, there is the DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K for all formats up to 2160p30, including HDR, and there is the DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G for up to 4096 x 2160 60p in 10-bit YUV or 12-bit RGB: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/decklink .
DaVinci Resolve Studio (latest stable) / Windows 10 Pro x64 / AMD 1920X / 32GB RAM / RX Vega56 8G.
BMPCC 6K + BMPCC 6K Pro.
Retired electronics technician and sound engineer, long-time amateur photographer, beginner hobbyist filmmaker for personal uses.

Marc Wielage

PostThu Feb 07, 2019 5:58 am

kkamin wrote:I'd like to have a professional color grading monitor without breaking the bank.

A true ITU Grade-1 grading display is not cheap, on the order of $30,000-$40,000.

If you mean a grading display that can calibrate to Rec709, I would lean towards the LG C7 and C8 OLEDs, which are very good for well under $2000.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to Post Production