Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Fusion Dongle not recognized

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

flofency

Fusion Dongle not recognized

PostThu Nov 29, 2018 5:34 pm

Hello People,

I have worked in Fusion Studio until 1h ago. Suddenly Fusion doesnt recognize my dongle anymore. At Startup it first freezes and after some while it says that it cant find a licence dongle.

Any solutions?

Chad Capeland

Re: Fusion Dongle not recognized

PostThu Nov 29, 2018 6:11 pm

It's happened twice to me. Dongles just randomly fail, and in both cases they were sitting undisturbed in the computer, so it wasn't that I was carrying them in my pocket or something.

Contact BMD support and they sort of treat it like a hardware failure. Took a LOT of effort because they wanted to do all this software troubleshooting, but in the end it was just a matter of cross-shipping the dongles.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Aurore de Blois

PostSat Jan 12, 2019 1:58 pm

I am starting to wonder if this is the same thing that has happened to me :O

during the Christmas break I was doing some playing around in fusion, next day the fusion dongle isn't being found no matter what I do. [same result trying to open resolve]

it's like the dongle is not even plugged in at all. normally windows will at least indicate it has to set up a device if you unplug it and plug it into a different usb port but when i do this windows makes a chime sound but no such device setuip popup takes place.

this is just another example of why BMD needs to embrace software licenses. I get it that they are a hardware company and think 'dongle license' and have a weird opinion of software licenses [and they seem to be the only ones still insisting on them]
--but this just hurts their whole userbase.

if i were not a home user but a studio with artists unable to work for 2 weeks it would be unacceptable. fortunately this downtime is not affecting my bottom line but it still shouldn't be happening.

what should take place is vanilla fusion should open at the very least if it doesn't find the dongle. lightware opens like that if you haven't got a license [but then again, newtek got rid of hardware dongles years ago!]
MSI GT75VR 7RF Titan Pro
Intel CM238 i7-7920 HQ CPU@3.10 GHz
DDR4-2400 (64GB)
1x M.2 SSD (SATA)
2x M.2 SSD Combo (NVMe PCIe Gen3 x4 / SATA)
1x 2.5" SATA HDD
GeForce GTX 1080 with 8GB GDDR5X
Windows 10 Home, 64-bit

Chad Capeland

PostSat Jan 12, 2019 3:19 pm

They do offer different licensing for studios, I think starting at 10 seats. But even a studio with 3 seats might pay for 10 just for the change in licensing. :)
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Bryan Ray

PostSat Jan 12, 2019 4:48 pm

Nope, even the 10 seat license is still on a dongle. I think it's just a holdover from the Eyeon system—Resolve's on a software license, after all.

edit: And btw, I had a dongle fail recently, too. An old Fu7 one.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

Aurore de Blois

PostSat Feb 02, 2019 9:06 pm

"They do offer different licensing for studios, I think starting at 10 seats. But even a studio with 3 seats might pay for 10 just for the change in licensing. "

not sure just how that is relevant to my problem of the dongle not being recognized, but for the record my dongle IS the 10-license variety.

if i was running a studio it'd be bust by now- been a month and I still cannot get it to work.
it still fails to be recognized.
fascinating problem, considering nothing was changed on the computer at all and it does function on my laptop but i don't do any work with fusion on my laptop because it is far too awkward.
MSI GT75VR 7RF Titan Pro
Intel CM238 i7-7920 HQ CPU@3.10 GHz
DDR4-2400 (64GB)
1x M.2 SSD (SATA)
2x M.2 SSD Combo (NVMe PCIe Gen3 x4 / SATA)
1x 2.5" SATA HDD
Windows 10 Home, 64-bit

Pieter Van Houte

PostSat Feb 02, 2019 10:07 pm

If it's the 10 license variety, can't you use your laptop as the license server in the meantime?
Support We Suck Less on Patreon -> https://www.patreon.com/wesuckless

https://www.steakunderwater.com/wesuckless

Sander de Regt

PostSat Feb 02, 2019 10:19 pm

I've mentioned it before, but have you forced the install of new drivers? i.e does the dongle show up at all, but isn't it recognized (exclamation mark in the device panel) or doesn't it show up at all?

Once after some weird Windows update I had to update my dongle drivers as well, if I recall correctly.
Just guessing here, of course.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Return to Fusion