Decklink Puzzler

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

jeremyjohnson

Decklink Puzzler

PostThu Jan 31, 2019 12:33 am

I have a bit of a puzzler on my hands. I bought a Decklink Mini Recorder so I could capture video from another computer. That other computer is currently being fed into an SDI distribution box to feed TVs throughout our building and now I want to also pipe it into the Decklink for use in Wirecast.

When I plugged in from the distribution box via SDI it did not, but it did work when I plugged in directly from the source computer via HDMI. However, I need it to come in from the distribution box so this wasn't a final solution. After a lot of trial and error I'm completely stumped. Here's a few of my connection setups and what did and didn't work. Note, [HDMI] means HDMI cable and [SDI] means SDI cable.

• Source [HDMI] Decklink HDMI --- good
  • Source [HDMI] BM HDMI->SDI Micro [SDI] Decklink SDI --- bad
  • Source [HDMI] BM HDMI->SDI Micro [SDI] BM SDI->HDMI Micro [HDMI] Decklink HDMI --- bad
  • Source [HDMI] BM HDMI->SDI Micro [SDI] BM SDI->HDMI Micro [HDMI] Computer Monitor HDMI --- good

I have individually tested each cable to make sure they work and have rebooted and power cycled for each test. The fact that the HDMI port on the Decklink works when directly plugged in and doesn't when going through the converter boxes is confusing. The fact that the same setup works when plugged into a monitor makes no sense at all. If anyone has any insight or advice I'm all ears!

jeremyjohnson

Re: Decklink Puzzler

PostFri Feb 01, 2019 8:48 pm

Ended up giving up and buying a Magewell. Worked like a charm.

Xtreemtec

Re: Decklink Puzzler

PostSun Feb 03, 2019 1:43 pm

Well maybe if you checked the lights on the SDI converters there were clue's to tell..
But you got it working within a day. (As new user your first 5 or 10 posts are moderated, Which means a moderator must enable the post to be seen on the forum. Which seems to be done after 1 Feb ;) )
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Getting Started