Ad Hoc Talent Audio Monitoring

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

ulnagar

Ad Hoc Talent Audio Monitoring

PostFri Feb 01, 2019 4:46 am

Hi all,

I would like some advice on integrating a on camera talent audio monitoring option into our setup.

We currently run Livestream events via YouTube, with two main onsite on camera talent, and a number of "on location" on camera talent, connecting via video chat application on a laptop. We currently mix minus the audio return to the laptop so that remote talent do not hear themselves and get confused. Our problem is that the onsite talent currently can't hear what the remote talent are saying. I would like to be able to mix minus the camera audio return, and connect a Sennheiser EW112 wireless lav (in reverse) with a headpiece connected. Is this possible?

Current equipment:
    ATEM TVS Pro 4K
    3 x Studio Camera 2 4K
    6 x Sennheiser EW112 G4 wireless lav

I know that Sennheiser has an IEM kit, but that would not allow me to separately mix minus the audio for each talent.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards,

Ben

MambaFiber.com

Re: Ad Hoc Talent Audio Monitoring

PostSun Feb 03, 2019 4:33 pm

Hey Ben,

Are you mixing your audio with the built in ATEM mixer, or using an external mixer? Describe how your 6 local mics and your remote audio sources come together for your stream, and I'd be happy to offer a few thoughts.

On the subject of in-ear device, while you can use the sennheiser mic system to do this, the receiver has a fixed level line output as the only option to drive an earphone. This is not ideal, level is rather low and no way to adjust volume. The IEM system is geared to do exactly this, but does have a 1/2 rack size transmitter that requires mains power. It is possible to use the portable mic transmitter, and the portable IEM receiver with a few IMO non-issue limitations, the biggest being you pay way more for ala carte components from Sennheiser.

Also, you are correct about the sennheiser units (mic or IEM) not creating any kind of mix, they only provide a means of moving your audio from point A to point B. The mixing will be determined by your response to the first question above.
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

ulnagar

PostSun Feb 03, 2019 10:53 pm

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your reply.

We are currently using the ATEM as the audio mixer, in part because it's easier, and in part because we can do a mix minus on each input (something I have not been able to find on a standalone mixer that is at least semi-portable and not completely over budget), and finally in part because it simplifies our recording processes. At the moment, each audio source in fed into the ATEM via along with a video source. E.g. each camera has a wireless lav connected for sound.

By doing this, each sound stream is recorded along with the camera (I have a HyperDeck Mini on each camera input, and some Video Assists for recording things like the laptop feeds etc.). This should make it easy to mix minus each talent stream back to the camera (or so I feel) and therefore out to the IEM.

Regards,

Ben

MambaFiber.com

PostTue Feb 05, 2019 9:05 pm

great, so the ATEM is already generating the mix-minuses for you. the only issue you are going to face is how to extract the embedded audio on the camera return SDI to feed your talent ears.

The only output on the Studio Camera is the headphone connector for the operator. While you could use a y-cord adapter to get a second output to feed talent, the headphone feed includes the intercom audio AND the return PGM audio so not ideal for your talent to listen to. it would also follow the volume control on the camera.

My best suggestion is to put a SDI to Audio unit on the return video line right next to your camera. Set it to listen to CH 1-2 and your mix-minus audio from the ATEM can be heard on its outputs. A short BNC cable should then be connected from the SDI loop out to your camera SDI input so shading/comms/etc all work as normal on the camera.

If you buy into the whole Sennheiser IEM system, 2x 1/4" TRS cables is all you need to connect the SDI/Audio to the Sennheiser transmitter. The G4 twin IEM system includes 2 receivers, or you can buy as many extra receivers as you need with the single system. One transmitter will send to as many receiver units as you want, albeit the same audio feed to all receivers. At least everyone gets their own volume control this way.

If you are going to use the Sennheiser mic systems you already have, you will need the XLR to mini connector cable (Senn part# CM-1) to get your mix-minus into the transmitter pack, along with a TRS to XLR male adapter to come out of the SDI/Audio connectors. As I stated previously the mic receivers only have a mini jack line output you CAN plug an earbud into, but no volume adjustment and it WILL be very quiet unless amplified externally. You can use the IEM receiver pack if you get the right frequency band version, and setup to mono, and manually tune to the mic transmitter frequency. This will give you plenty of adjustable volume-it's what the IEM pack was made to do.

You could also use a wired solution for the earbuds instead of the sennheisers. Behringer makes the P2 for about $40, line level input-2 AAA batteries powering a headphone output. just connect a long TRS cable between the SDI/Audio output and the P2 and away you go. good product for IFB.

For the sake of discussion for anyone wanting to use an external audio mixer, just about any mixer with aux busses can be used for creating mix minus feeds. Just send every input channel except the "minus" source to the aux mix post fader. You can make as many different mix-minus feeds as you have aux busses on the console. In your case tho, to get the embedded incoming audio into the mixer, and mix-minus audio(s) embedded back into the SDI lines wouldn't be very cost effective so you're better off doing what you are doing. Of note, the Behringer XR18 or X18 mixers have 6 aux bus outputs and sell for under $500-you do need a tablet to use with them for a control surface. If you are doing audio externally of the ATEM (as I usually ALWAYS recommend), you can hardly get as much bang for audio buck anywhere...
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Return to Live Production