Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Drawing 3d motion path

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

bryanfordney

Drawing 3d motion path

PostMon Feb 04, 2019 4:46 pm

Hi there, I'm attempting to animate an object traveling through 3D space, and I would like to have it follow a path.

In AE terms, I could achieve this by animating the object from point A to point B, and then adding points inbetween those in order to shape a curve. Then, set those inbetween keyframes to "Rove Across Time", which makes a keyframe behave more like a point on a path. It is not locked to any actual time; its time is interpolated automatically between keyframes A and B. This allows you to draw a motion path while controlling the actual speed of the animation with only the first and last key, and not all the inbetween keys.

Is there some way to achieve a similar result in Fusion? To create a 3d path of motion, but without all the little points along the path being tied down to specific frames in the timeline?

Thanks!

Sander de Regt

Re: Drawing 3d motion path

PostMon Feb 04, 2019 5:31 pm

I don't know if it is what you mean, but you can display the 3D motion path inside the viewport and add/delete/move points right in the viewer as well.

The x/y/z values of these paths can be adjusted/drawn inside the spline editor.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

bryanfordney

PostMon Feb 04, 2019 6:31 pm

I see that I can drag this mid-point keyframe around, but is there any way to make a smooth curve, spatially, not temporally?

Sorry, that isn't very clear. I suppose what I am asking is, can you make a 3d spline (like a 1D mesh) and have something follow that spline through space at a constant rate?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-02-04 at 1.31.00 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-02-04 at 1.31.00 PM.png (301.74 KiB) Viewed 1649 times

xunile

PostMon Feb 04, 2019 7:02 pm

bryanfordney wrote:I see that I can drag this mid-point keyframe around, but is there any way to make a smooth curve, spatially, not temporally?

Sorry, that isn't very clear. I suppose what I am asking is, can you make a 3d spline (like a 1D mesh) and have something follow that spline through space at a constant rate?

Right click on the middle point of the path, and choose "Offset 3D Path>Smooth".
Win 10 Home | Intel i7 - 10700f 64 GB 1 TB GB SSD 2 TB SSD
RTX-3060 12 GB | Resolve Studio 18.6.6| Fusion Studio 18.6.6

Win 10 Home | Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB | Resolve 17.4.6

Sander de Regt

PostMon Feb 04, 2019 7:51 pm

Well, technically as soon as you put your 2d path in space it becomes 3d by default.
Like I said the 1d (as you call it) presentation of these points can be found in the spline editor.
But maybe I just don't understand what you're trying to achieve.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Return to Fusion