Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Does a resize node resize every node before it?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

DeFusion

Does a resize node resize every node before it?

PostWed Feb 06, 2019 1:02 pm

Hello,

I want to resize my whole project from HD to 4K. When i resize it to 4K in my Resolve project settings, my Fusion compositions stay HD.

Would a resize node resize all the nodes before it? (like the Paint nodes) Or would it just scale it as, let's say, a bitmap image? (making it more pixelated)

If not, how would i resize the whole composition, or every node in the composition?

Help would be appreciated.

michael vorberg

Re: Does a resize node resize every node before it?

PostWed Feb 06, 2019 5:39 pm

Resize would just scale the image at the point of the node.

As fusion is resolution indepent in almost every tool you can change the size of the inputs in your comp and the output should be the same

xunile

PostWed Feb 06, 2019 6:17 pm

DeFusion wrote:Hello,

I want to resize my whole project from HD to 4K. When i resize it to 4K in my Resolve project settings, my Fusion compositions stay HD.

Would a resize node resize all the nodes before it? (like the Paint nodes) Or would it just scale it as, let's say, a bitmap image? (making it more pixelated)

If not, how would i resize the whole composition, or every node in the composition?

Help would be appreciated.

You can render at UHD from the Deliver tab, just set the render settings to UHD. To improve the upscaling you can go into the clip attributes of clips on your timeline and change the Super Scale settings to 2x,3x, or 4x. This will help with the upscaling.
Win 10 Home | Intel i7 - 10700f 64 GB 1 TB GB SSD 2 TB SSD
RTX-3060 12 GB | Resolve Studio 18.6.6| Fusion Studio 18.6.6

Win 10 Home | Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB | Resolve 17.4.6

Glenn Sakatch

PostSun Feb 10, 2019 5:57 pm

I think your problem is that you created your fusion node while at HD.

I'm making a guess, as I use standalone fusion...i don't use the integrated fusion at all...but in my typical workflow, which involves Resolve exporting new media into fusion:

Assuming your source footage is 4k and your resolve timeline is HD, when you create your fusion clip, it creates it at the resolve resolution. Inside fusion you can certainly change the size of your comps, just be sure you are using the original 4k sources for this.

Simply rendering your timeline to 4k at the delivery page is not the way to go, unless you have set your timeline to 4k, and your sources are 4k, otherwise you are simply blowing up the image, and yes some pixilization will occur.

The proper way (in standalone fusion) is to set your resolve timeline to 4k, create your fusion media...then you have 4k sources through out the path. Render your fusion clips, then in Resolve, jump back to HD to complete your work. You are now working with 4k media from fusion, in an hd timeline. (which is less taxing on the system than a 4k timeline). When it is time to render, switch your timeline back to 4k, check your image resize settings are correct, and then you can render out a 4k image with no quality loss. Again, assuming your sources are at 4k in the first place.

Not sure how the integrated fusion tab works, but i'm guessing it is a similar workflow...perhaps using proxys from Resolve? so if your Resolve timeline is set to HD when you send the clip to Fusion, i would guess you are using an HD clip inside Fusion.

Return to Fusion