New Firmware - WE NEED 60HZ!!!

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

George Sickler

New Firmware - WE NEED 60HZ!!!

PostSat Sep 08, 2012 6:13 pm

This new firmware is 25 steps back as far as I am concerned. I have rebuilt my rigs only to find out that the Apple TV 3 device is no longer compatible, my laptop is doesn't work, the Ipad2 will not show up, and every device I used to connect with no issues, now does not work on the Atem 1/me

I had updated all 3 of my devices (2 - TVS and 1-1/ME) and need the software to run the same.

So please help me out with a solution, Do I need to go back to 3.1.1 - and then do I loose the audio mixer?

I am super frustrated! I need the 60 hz back. I have a huge week long video taping that I was relying on the system working with the new audio feature. - I do not want to have to go buy new devices just to sync my devices that were working.

Please Grant - Change it back :shock: - Just killing us here.

Frustrated Atem Black Magic Customer!

George

(I still love my stuff, but dang this is a drag!)
George Sickler
Colorado Digital Video

George Sickler

Re: New Firmware - WE NEED 60HZ!!!

PostSat Sep 08, 2012 6:19 pm

Can anyone let me know if 3.2 would work? I am going to test it all out today, but would like to save any headaches.

My gig starts on the 16 and I have a long solid week of recording that i need these systems to purr. If not, I might be a goner! -

Thanks for any advice...

I would like the audio mixer to work on the TVS, so if I stick with 3.3 - then put the 3.2 on my 1 /ME - my only problem is if I have a computer fail

(I am running Mountain Lion on a mac mini for each unit) - then I will have quite the debacle. I would have to run one system with 3.2, or 3.1.2 or .1 and the other with 3.3 -

Off to the firmware compatibility race once again.

Geo
George Sickler
Colorado Digital Video

Gregg Bond

PostSat Sep 08, 2012 7:20 pm

One thing you could do is run a virtual machine copy of WinXP with each firmware revision, this would allow you to run all your panels off of one unit and still maintain firmware compatibility.

I agree, we were bitten by the 60Hz bug but didnt have time to roll back, thankfully we had a spare HDMI>HD-SDI adaptor which saved the day, but we lost some production pretties which were non-essential but it did annoy me.

I suppose it serves me right for not testing it in the comfort of home.

George Sickler

PostSat Sep 08, 2012 11:49 pm

Thanks Gregg.

I just rolled back to 3.1.2 - I am so disappointed.

What is it going to take for us all to raise our voice and let support know that we need to have the 60hz compatibility?

I mean how much would it take to just maybe make it an alternative to turn on or off? - I never had any syncing issues until this firmware. - Its like dangling a carrot in front of the horse, and then give em a nasty goat head to chew on. The horse has gotta buck, and I am hopeful that I can have my carrot and my 60hz to use with the audio mixer.

I really need this audio mixer to work NEXT WEEK. - wow I am shaking in my boots.

I seen someone post a device that would work, to sync, is that the Geffen Detective? Those are like $100 each. - I have 3 devices that I gotta rescue. dang!

Can everyone send in a ticket and request this feature put back?

G! :ugeek:
George Sickler
Colorado Digital Video

Gregg Bond

PostSun Sep 09, 2012 2:32 am

My workaround was to use a HDMI to SDI Miniconverter, but thats more expensive than the Detective (assuming that works).

What will almost certainly be cheaper, simpler and more straightforward would be to get a small analog mixer. What have you got to mix audio wise?

sharyn

PostSun Sep 09, 2012 2:56 am

My understanding is that this is HIGH PRIORITY and BMD is working on it.

My experience with the TVS is that for some reason Nvidia graphic Cards seem to work, and that sometimes you need to restart the PC with it attached to the TVS to get the Video to show up. I have had the TVone 622 analog-HDmi converter work all the time
http://www.tvone.com/1t-vs-622-main.shtml

, and the Atlona HD560 not work, I sent back my TVS and my ATlona to Atlona and they updated the firmware and did testing, and now they say it is working.
http://www.atlona.com/Atlona-Pal-HDMI-t ... 1080p.html
I have not rec'd it back so I cannot verify but I tend to believe them as they were extremely helpful on this.

So IMO there are issues with the ATEM/1 which other people have experience with and have commented, and there are much more minor issues with the TVS which I have seen.

That said, I think we need to Give BMD a some time to fix this, I believe they are totally committed and did not realize just how common 10801/60 was especially in the PC world

Sharyn

Blue Melnick

PostThu Sep 13, 2012 11:06 am

Just adding some additional feedback here... I had to role my two 1 M/Es back to 3.1.1 to get the atlona to work again... Had no issues with the TVS on 3.3.

Blue

Mathijs

PostThu Sep 13, 2012 11:58 am

Last week I did see 3.4 running on the IBC in Amsterdam. I was told it would release in about 3 weeks.
They had a Behringer BCF2000 connected as audio mixer panel, which was quite nice and makes the audio mixer a lot more usable. I assume they have fixed the 60hz issue too on that FW.

Liam Kennedy

PostThu Sep 13, 2012 7:05 pm

Mathijs wrote:Last week I did see 3.4 running on the IBC in Amsterdam. I assume they have fixed the 60hz issue too on that FW.

Ummm... "assume"? Did you ask? Anything else I am afraid sounds like wishful thinking. I hope it comes true though.

sharyn wrote:and the Atlona HD560 not work, I sent back my TVS and my ATlona to Atlona and they updated the firmware and did testing, and now they say it is working.
http://www.atlona.com/Atlona-Pal-HDMI-t ... 1080p.html
I have not rec'd it back so I cannot verify but I tend to believe them as they were extremely helpful on this.

What did Atlona fix? Did they alter/add support for 59.94Hz? I have one of their scalers that doesn't work either now (on my 1ME) as it only provides support for 60Hz not 59.94Hz. It still works on my TVS with 3.2 firmware.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

George Sickler

PostThu Sep 13, 2012 10:09 pm

Liam Kennedy wrote:
Mathijs wrote:Last week I did see 3.4 running on the IBC in Amsterdam. I assume they have fixed the 60hz issue too on that FW.

Ah man that hurts! I am down to 5 days, I need 3.4 - 60hz - 3 weeks really kills me!

Come on BM any input on this? Can I at least beta test it for you for a week? ;)

Geo
George Sickler
Colorado Digital Video

Liam Kennedy

PostThu Sep 13, 2012 10:11 pm

George Sickler wrote:Ah man that hurts! I am down to 5 days, I need 3.4 - 60hz - 3 weeks really kills me!

I would make do with 3.3.1 if that had 60Hz support :-)

Mathijs

PostFri Sep 14, 2012 9:14 pm

Ummm... "assume"? Did you ask? Anything else I am afraid sounds like wishful thinking.

No, I didn't ask because I run my gear at 50Hz so it's not an issue to me. Not that i don't care about you guys, but it wasn't on my mind because of that. It does do SD at 16:9 too and they said they would fix the 60Hz issue as fast as they could earlier.

As we are here on the BMD forum, why doesn't someone fill us in on this?

George Sickler

PostSat Sep 15, 2012 2:49 am

I officially emailed support asking, and that is the reply, they are working on it as fast as they can, and it is doubtful that it will be ready by my deadline. - Like the world revolves around me, oh wait, my world does - ha ha!

3.3.1 yes indeed, 3.3.0001 would be great if it had 60 hz. - I just am amazed how this one little switch was flipped and can't be flipped back as easily.

The TVS are working great. - however I am very nervous for my video shoots next week. - 4 long days of video taping, I am prayerful that I will have no issues, but we will be shooting raw footage just in case. So I can at least sleep.

I am sure all will be fine, it is just a buzz kill after spending all this money for this one week of my life, to have the inconsistency with software versions and firmware. - I grabbed up another computer to have as a backup to my plan. - In the digital age, it seems that I have to do everything in triplicate, - a duplicate just isn't reassuring enough.

uh, did you backup your backup? Why yes I did! We will be taping with SD cards for raw, then to a Atomos Ninja, then to the BM Express as an h.264, then direct to a DVD. I tested and retested and the audio delay seemed to not be an issue on the TVS - I gave a standing ovation to BM at that moment, then clumped back down into the fetal position wishing my 60hz worked on my 1/me - But for now, I will have to turn the lip sync corrector on and run with my analog audio to keep my system working.

Can't wait for the new firmware! I just need another job now to salivate over. -
George Sickler
Colorado Digital Video

TylerRiddle

PostSun Sep 16, 2012 7:34 am

+1 on 60 hz. All devices in our system run at 1080i60hz. I'm glad it "worked" unofficially, but there is o way I could download the new firmware because nothing would work:)

George Sickler

PostTue Sep 18, 2012 7:55 am

Made it to Florida with 1000lbs of video gear and 2 awesome crew members to pull off the gig.

Everything begins tomorrow, if anyone even catches a wif of the 60hz support for the atem 1/me with a working mixer please keep me posted. Getting ready to lock n load 3 full HD rigs and do what we do!

I would like to thank Black Magic for this awesome e"opportunity to upgrade to HD and service our industry so much better, where we would of spent 10's of thousands, it costs 5-6k to get into a really good live switch rig to power your company.

I will. Have 3 total rigs, so the question I have is how can I try to keep them busy all year, instead of all this money for one event, the gig we have works well to capture and resell for CE credits, but need something else to try to make them tick,... Anyone car to share what their bread and butter is with this awesome gear? (without giving out your secrets of course!!!)

For instance' one of my Atem rigs will go back next week and live switch our church feed, and another will do the same.

But where to get more work like webinars or more CE credits t live stream.... That's what. Wanna do!

60 he coming closer'!!!!

Unpacked and bombed! Traveled 3200 miles and all my atems are smiling t me in their shiney little boxes - put me together... Ok I am dreamin now, it's too dang late.

Be blessed 60hxz - sleep well until I have you in that firm ware chip nestled inside my 1/me heart.

Ha ha... Lol....

Be blessed

geo
George Sickler
Colorado Digital Video

kjvisual

PostWed Sep 19, 2012 6:02 am

I had to roll back my software to 3.1.2 so I could use the MacBook Pro as a video source in tomorrow's show. Nice little surprise guys. And the Blackmagic website being down today made me feel super confident that Blackmagic will be there if I have a crisis. I hope this is not the beginning of a love/hate relationship.

Aleksander Steffensen

PostWed Sep 19, 2012 11:02 am

Sorry, but anyone relying on BMD to finishing or fixing something that they need for a future project, is not being realistic or professional. First, if there is money involved, you better have a backup solution. Secondly, even if they were to make it to your deadline, you would probably not have had the time to test it properly. You never go out on a job with equipment that has not been tested extensively.

It's not that I don't like BMD, in fact, I love many of their products. But time has shown that their time measurements aren't realistic. I don't mean to sound condescending and I am sorry if I do. There are just certain things one needs to learn, whether it is by taking someones advice or by learning the hard way. I learned the hard way.
Steffensen Multimedia
http://www.stmm.no

Liam Kennedy

PostWed Sep 19, 2012 5:48 pm

Aleksander Steffensen wrote:Sorry, but anyone relying on BMD to finishing or fixing something that they need for a future project, is not being realistic or professional.

I don't think that any of us are being unprofessional by expecting BMD to fix something they broke. The poster above downgraded his ATEM to the firmware that worked (losing the nice new Audio features). We all have that option. But... we also do not have to stand quietly by while this problem remains unfixed.

My "fix" is that I'm using my TVS as a glorified scaler/frame sync to convert my 60Hz devices into 5994 format for my 1ME. What a waste!

Aleksander Steffensen

PostWed Sep 19, 2012 6:23 pm

I'm not saying you shouldn't expect BMD to fix it, what I am trying to say is that one should learn from previous experience. Most of us who have been using BMD products for more than a couple of months, should realise that BMD fixing something within a short time frame is not realistic. As much as I love BMD and their products, that is the hard truth. If you require service and support at this level, at this point, you must look into the high-end market.
Steffensen Multimedia
http://www.stmm.no

Return to Live Production