Bluetooth Remote

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Csaba Nagy

Re: Bluetooth Remote

PostSat Feb 02, 2019 7:35 am

UPDATE. Project is complete! Nucleus Nano controller can now remotely start/stop recording.

Will need some time to really think through how to make this become a viable end product. Will likely share some prototype designs and continue asking the community for feedback.

Created a poll to gather some initial numbers, please respond if you are interested:
http://www.strawpoll.me/17350673

Goal is to keep the form factor is small as possible, using a web interface for initial pairing and for user configuration/customization.

Stay tuned.
Csaba Nagy
Filmmaker
BMPCC4K

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostSat Feb 02, 2019 7:50 am

Nice work, Csaba!

Might it be possible to trigger the Pocket 4K cam's STILLS capture via Bluetooth? Does Blackmagic's SDK "expose" this feature to developers?

The stills function would especially benefit from a remote trigger as a way to prevent camera shake & image blur.

-

Csaba Nagy

PostSat Feb 02, 2019 7:54 am

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:Nice work, Csaba!

Might it be possible to trigger the Pocket 4K cam's STILLS capture via Bluetooth? Does Blackmagic's SDK "expose" this feature to developers?

The stills function would especially benefit from a remote trigger as a way to prevent camera shake & image blur.

-

Funny enough, it seems to be the one function absent from the API currently. I can imagine this wouldn't be too difficult for BMD to add in a newer revision of the protocol.
Csaba Nagy
Filmmaker
BMPCC4K

Fabián Aguirre

PostSat Feb 02, 2019 8:18 am

Wonderful work, Csaba. The lack of a start/stop lanc solution is the single most frustrating aspect of this camera for me. The BMPCC4K has replaced our Ursa Mini when flying Steadicam, and it has given my work, and my back, new life on long shoots as I can shave off pounds while still rigging it up with a mattebox, wireless FF, transmitters, etc. Yet, having to touch the screen when flying to start recording is awkward and, more importantly, pulls me away from the action.

When I flew the Ursa Mini on Steadicam, I simply rigged a basic, one-button, start/stop device onto the gimbal arm (like this https://bhpho.to/2DQ12d4). I would love to see something like that deveoped for the Pocket 4K. Please let us know how we may be able to help (and donate to the cause), whether it’s independently or through a partnership with a company like Smallrig, as you mentioned.

Watching closely, and thanks!
Fabián Aguirre
Cinematographer / Steadicam Operator
www.theunderstory.co

MarcusWolschon

PostSat Feb 02, 2019 8:32 am

Csaba Nagy wrote:
Funny enough, it seems to be the one function absent from the API currently. I can imagine this wouldn't be too difficult for BMD to add in a newer revision of the protocol.

There is more then just this.
e.g. selecting the DCI 4K resolution via Bluetooth.

Wayne Steven

PostSat Feb 02, 2019 4:04 pm

Csaba Nagy wrote:I know SmallRig have a codesign program I may pursue with further inquiry, maybe they’d be willing to create handle and do manufacturing, I can provide my code.

One needs to start considering how users would use something like this, so it can influence design decisions.

What is the best form factor? Build it into handle with a rechargeable battery? Make it a small box with simple power input and button?

How many programmable buttons do we include? Include a scroll dial for incrementing camera settings? ( aperture, shutter, ISO, etc….)

Lots of possible answers, would love to hear people's thoughts about a tool like this.

Good on you Csaba.

Yes, working with a manufacturer (for reward) is a much better idea then trying to patent the unprotectable on the current design. But you are mving forwards into patentable territory. Going it alone is costly too, as you know.

As for design, normally we get our paper napkin out at the beginning. You should be able to figure it out pretty quickly, as you have experience in holding and operating controls. I personally like eng like controls, and manual and push to auto for everything. I was going do this for my phone video design (not the eng style controls of course).
aIf you are not truthfully progressive, maybe you shouldn't say anything
bTruthful side topics in-line with or related to, the discussion accepted
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Csaba Nagy

PostSun Feb 03, 2019 8:32 am

UPDATE. Video demonstrating how pairing would work with built in early concept web interface.
Speed and ease of use is highlighted.

Csaba Nagy
Filmmaker
BMPCC4K

Wayne Steven

PostSun Feb 03, 2019 10:15 am

To help people.

One could use what has been done so far. There are really miniature mobile phones and android devices that could run an app, no need for all this just for on off, but it is about designing for other's needs.
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Wayne Steven

PostSun Feb 03, 2019 10:35 am

Kim, I brought up simple BM firmware upgrade to enable USB support through normal USB Bluetooth and WiFi standards (they have hardware multimedia controls interface). Linked into macro function selectable from any menu function with discrete profiles for different users/tasks/hardware. Its the way to go. You add to this, WiFi over USB/card interface you get cheap basic monitoring and control (WiFi has interfaces for hardware too, a number of different standards including WiFi direct). They could even setup lifi/infrared over an audio channel, and do lanc codes. If BM does everything they can with a camera, they can try this.

But a future micro version might have a solution. So, as said elsewhere, one could just buy a micro, but what Csaba is doing is a bit more nice.

MarcusWolschon

PostSun Feb 03, 2019 10:50 am

Kim Janson wrote:Yes a smart watch should have all the HW needed for a simple REC functionality and more.

I already implemented that part.
"BMPCC4K Camera Control" supports a REC button on a Smartwatch with all the pairing and higher functionality on the phone.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... cc4krecord

I too would really, really like my existing LANC buttons to work on the BMPCC4K as they do on the BMPCC,
so I'm following this discussion closely.

Wayne Steven

PostSun Feb 03, 2019 10:52 am

Ai, you can usually set up a remote trigger attached to a control or software function on a phone, there is one that even operates through the headphone jack of older apple phones (run a cable). There are apps that manage these configurations that might cone with the device. So, if the phone app maps to a physical control or multimedia software interface, one of these apps might direct the commands through there to the main app. Look for phone camera devices on amazon. I posted one before.

MarcusWolschon

PostSun Feb 03, 2019 10:53 am

Kim Janson wrote:On that rig some kind of mechanical remote arangement for the in camera Rec button could be most reliable and simple solution.

A simple bowden tube from an old analog camera would work but you need to find an attachment point.
Made for a specific camera cage this could work out but it would block your finger from using the REC button on the camera and maybe even the other buttons neatby.

VladMafteiu

PostSun Feb 03, 2019 5:30 pm

Would this work with the Tilta Nucleus-M too? It would be nice if the record button on the handle and main controller would work fine.

Csaba Nagy

PostSun Feb 03, 2019 8:35 pm

Australian Image wrote:The last thing anyone needs is another touch screen device to control the camera, whether via a cable or not. There is already an iPhone and Android app that does all of this, as well as the touch screen on the camera itself.

What is needed is a remote with tactile buttons to control the camera's features. It can offer very basic or very complex control, but it has to be such that you do not have to look at the control to operate the functions (it becomes a muscle memory operation). To do anything else is just making more of the same.

This is still very much possible, It will have to be different form factor than the one's you've linked too that look to run off coin cell power. Likely larger and will need to be powered, 5v usb power.

The need to pair the device with a code has made designing this in a minimal way very difficult.

You have two options:
-Mini screen with tiny buttons for entering code
-Wifi interface for entering code

Both have merits, neither is necessarily cheaper or more expensive or more complex than the other.

Wifi interface I feel is the right way to go, it's there when you need it for doing pairing the first time and can be left completely unused afterwards. Where as a mini screen will take up precious form factor when it will likely be unused for 99% of the time and you need more buttons to actual let you enter the code in addition to the single rec button.

So the use of a smartphone is necessary evil, but you'll only ever need to use it once to do the initial pairing. after that it connects automatically by itself.
Csaba Nagy
Filmmaker
BMPCC4K

Csaba Nagy

PostSun Feb 03, 2019 9:25 pm

Australian Image wrote:How it links is neither here nor there, the important issue for me which is why I started the thread, is that it's simple to operate and can be done intuitively once you've used it a few times.

These are already being made, but none specifically for the BMPCC4K: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1356967-REG/zhiyun_tech_gmb_b26_bluetooth_wireless_finger_remote.html. There are many other examples and they aren't large or expensive.

My goal with a simple controller would be a small box with micro usb port for power and 1 button button on it. Don't think it can get any more intuitive than that. ;)

Mounting would need be something I'd leave to the user as there can be many arguments made for what the ideal mounting method would be. ( 1/4" mount, 15mm rod clamp style, etc.. )
Csaba Nagy
Filmmaker
BMPCC4K

Wayne Steven

PostMon Feb 04, 2019 4:19 am

Csaba, maybe it needs a new thread "Designing physical controller for Pocket 4k"?

There is an obvious solution, using what you have to drive physical controls used on the existing micro cinema bus, and lanc. In that way, such products can be linked, or even with 1-2 inch mobile phone and some USB IO board, which probably exists somewhere, with a very small thin swappable recharge battery.
Last edited by Wayne Steven on Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wayne Steven

PostMon Feb 04, 2019 4:28 am

Kim Janson wrote:I was thinking that you need it for gimbal, but the kind of rig you have, why not just mechanical link to one of the rec buttons. No worries about battery, pairing or failing BT.

+1. I'm going say something out of left field, and such mechanisms I believe exist for various purposes. A pneumatic hose. It doesn't matter if it is slightly spongy, as you don't want to over press the buttons too much and damage them over time, like if you used a wire mechanism, and I won't look like you are operating the Tardis. You could rig up every button that way. You could use thin witee long distance, but be careful hitting the controls.

Wayne Steven

PostMon Feb 04, 2019 4:34 am

If only BM had designed it so the sensor portion could original or swing around into a camcorder format and the screen flip out like a normal, beyond patent period, camcorder screen, you could then mount it on a shoulder rig with the screen a bit closer.

Xtreemtec

PostMon Feb 04, 2019 12:28 pm

What is Csaba going to do with the project? Open it up as an open source setup, People could design a 3D printed casing for it, Even handgrip style casing.

Or is he into it to sell it as a product. But then what Kim says, Someone expects to pay around $50 for something like this. But the time invested into this, making a housing, put it all together, ship it around the globe and give support on the product. There is not much meat on the bone left.

As an open source everybody could enjoy and build there controller, Even bigger ones if wanted.. Maybe even in interface to control the motors of Tilta directly, I guess it would also work on the URSA's.. So i think there would be small nice market interested in a small remote.

So all depends what Csaba's intentions are with the product / code.. :)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Csaba Nagy

PostMon Feb 04, 2019 7:03 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:What is Csaba going to do with the project? Open it up as an open source setup, People could design a 3D printed casing for it, Even handgrip style casing.

Or is he into it to sell it as a product. But then what Kim says, Someone expects to pay around $50 for something like this. But the time invested into this, making a housing, put it all together, ship it around the globe and give support on the product. There is not much meat on the bone left.

As an open source everybody could enjoy and build there controller, Even bigger ones if wanted.. Maybe even in interface to control the motors of Tilta directly, I guess it would also work on the URSA's.. So i think there would be small nice market interested in a small remote.

So all depends what Csaba's intentions are with the product / code.. :)

From the impressions I've gathered online, there is market for those who would simply like to buy a finished product over building the solution themselves, whether by convenience or by lack of skill/knowledge to put together.

Depending on how the next few weeks play out with me attempting to put together a finalized prototype and figuring out logistics of manufacturing a small batch, I do want to put my code out there eventually for those who want to build a more customized solution.

That being said, I will mention that other than some small hurdles that I was able to figure out with some trial and error, someone with even some basic arduino/hardware development can steer themselves to where I got with relative ease...Google is your best friend ;)
Csaba Nagy
Filmmaker
BMPCC4K

VladMafteiu

PostTue Feb 05, 2019 10:05 pm

VladMafteiu wrote:Would this work with the Tilta Nucleus-M too? It would be nice if the record button on the handle and main controller would work fine.

A response would be much appreciated as it would make me interested in buying such a solution. :)

Csaba Nagy

PostTue Feb 05, 2019 11:47 pm

VladMafteiu wrote:
VladMafteiu wrote:Would this work with the Tilta Nucleus-M too? It would be nice if the record button on the handle and main controller would work fine.

A response would be much appreciated as it would make me interested in buying such a solution. :)

My sneaking suspicion is yes it could work. I don't have an M motor so I can't test myself, I'm thinking once I've got the one for the Nano off the ground I could look into it. Otherwise only way to speed it up, would be for someone to loan me a unit for testing so I can do readings on the camera control pins and see what kind of signals it's sending.
Csaba Nagy
Filmmaker
BMPCC4K

Wayne Steven

PostWed Feb 06, 2019 11:21 am

Australian Image wrote:
Wayne Steven wrote:If only BM had designed it so the sensor portion could original or swing around into a camcorder format and the screen flip out like a normal, beyond patent period, camcorder screen, you could then mount it on a shoulder rig with the screen a bit closer.

What's this got to do with a Bluetooth remote? Or anything for that matter.

If you respectfully read the thread, you will see its about comments on control formats and rugging. That would have made for better shoulder rig use for Bluetooth hand controls, and better handheld use, with Bluetooth control. Or USB, etc.

Wayne Steven

PostWed Feb 06, 2019 11:29 am

Csaba, as I mentioned in the other thread, it could be transfered to a controller near button sized, for convenience. But with that, 3D printed versions of case with physical control can be made. Some of these printed technologies print circuits too, or a leaver action to buttons etc. You could even have a wired system like AI is trying. Such a button like controller and a button shield, could go into the controller case.

Wayne Steven

PostWed Feb 06, 2019 12:02 pm

Kim Janson wrote:The problem to make susch HW BT remote commersially available is not technical, it is commercial.

When people expect it to cost $50 one should sell tousands of them to have any business or it should support existing product. On this tread there is already DYI solutions for that and Apps for phone/watch that are under $50.

The simple HW BT remote to come available to buy on a shop I see 2 possibilities.

- BMD getting interested to support their product with such accessory.
- Some selfie stick manufacturer etc geting interested and making the few lines of code change to make their existing BT remote to suport BMD camera. This could be also a gimbal manufacturer that also already has such device like the one you linked.

You are correct. Places implement a reference design given by the chip company. Reprogramming the controller is easy, but making a new board is not. To justify the cost of designing a new extensively different casing and controls is another thing they light want high sales for or chsrgeba lot of f money. It's not as simple as people think. You f people knew just how complex that ngs are to get right, simple, protein cited properly, they would hide under their beds even more. For instance, such a device will have parts which when broken apart, as a choke hazard for kids, you need big insurance. Patents, most countries in the world have seoerate patent systems where each patent has to be completed, eben so called world patents traditionally just stream line this. So, you have hundreds of patent fees on wherever it is going be sold or produced. In the old days, you could just patent in the top x countries to get most protection, but this is a new sensor anywhere product and wealth has spread. Now, those agents require ongoing fees to keep them alive too. Anyway, thus s more a registered design anyway, which is from different.

Now, Amazon had a scheme for startup like things like this, and I was think they may have had manufacturers linked in. I'm pretty sure they have an investment arm. The few things I saw were expensive crap, which is s just what what video accessories are. So a good fit. Actually I had a controller design I wanted to do last year or so, and they might be a good avenue for that. It was related to mobile phones. A couple of different products including a small mobile gimbal and camera, which there is something recently released like that, except I didn't want a toy.

Kickstarter, yeah, how many dead projects are there. Working with a manufacturer or Amazon, for a higher priced low volume version, is a good idea. There are many video accessories companies, including those coming out if the make it communities. Actually, I think Yi might have some interesting bits related to their action and 3D camera arrays, which they sell cheap. You could sell them on a professional canwra controls which can be attached to their action cams, m43rds, or any camera or phone which will support BT/USB/WiFi/lanc controls, and use it on tripods. Then they get to sell many times more across market segments, lowering the price to $50 or less. If it can act as a hand grip for whatever its attached to it will be useful. Anyway, that sounds like version B.

Wayne Steven

PostWed Feb 06, 2019 12:07 pm

Ooh, I just read your last paragraph Kim, for gimbals, I have been wanting to do that for years. The controls on gimbals are horrible, but in recent years I've seen better ones from s Chinese manufacturer, and let it slide to see there new models.

Csaba Nagy

PostThu Feb 07, 2019 12:38 am

UPDATE.

Not much new since last update, redesigned web interface with more functionality. Also a early look at the development hardware. Final design will be a much smaller and compact form factor.

Have begun pcb design, but as this is a new venture for myself will take some time to wrap my head around it all. Looking to do a small batch of about 50 units for the first run, these will be tilta nucleus nano control units and I’ll look to expand to simple controllers in the future.

NOTE: name is not finalized in anyway.

Csaba Nagy
Filmmaker
BMPCC4K

Csaba Nagy

PostSat Feb 09, 2019 9:19 pm

UPDATE. Still waiting for some components to arrive for last iteration of the final prototype.

In the meantime, I’ve implemented the ability to use the focus wheel as a adjustment slider.
Works by using the record button to engage adjustment mode and lets you use the wheel to change things like ISO, Aperture, WB, etc… basically anything in the Bluetooth protocol that has value range. Demo shows adjusting aperture.

Still deciding on this feature as it’s practicality may not be so useful. The value adjustment happens in tandem with the motor position, so as you adjust say ISO, you will be constantly changing focus on your lens.

Nonetheless thought I would demo.

Csaba Nagy
Filmmaker
BMPCC4K

MarcusWolschon

PostSat Feb 09, 2019 10:08 pm

Did you find BLE to be fast enough for jogging anything but the zoom (wich has an enpoint accepting velocity) with a consistent, adjustable speed?
How well does that part work outside of lab conditions with more activity in the 2.4GHz band and a longer distance then a few centimeters?

MarcusWolschon

PostSun Feb 10, 2019 9:04 am

Australian Image wrote:I spent four hours covering a local event today and the shutter release cable worked a treat, every time.

The mechanical (bowden?) cable you talked about in
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=82040&start=50#p475521
?

John Morris

PostMon Feb 18, 2019 12:40 am

Wayne Steven

PostMon Feb 18, 2019 4:20 am

John, thanks, great article. A little long for a web article, more magazine length. Well written mainly, but the last bit I might disagree with. Comprehensive gives all levels of user understanding. We get into the habit of writing for ones who choose to ignore others needs and what is better, society breaks down. Its been going that way for decades, the good times are going.

Still you could write the article in one sentence. We need professionally reliable manual focus. Or in Spartan terms. "Manual Focus!" But that might be a bit long for them, and "Focus!" being used instead. But that would say nothing for anybody else who due don't yet understand the intricacies of what it was about.

They are fooling themselves a bit here (or maybe they know but want to prod the beast into action). The real truth is, that of course various companies know this is needed. Panasonic has been promising and showing off hybrid systems for years (not focus orientated though) and never delivered them. They want you to buy the most expensive stills as you will buy, as well as the most expensive video camera you will buy, plus the most expense whatever else you will buy. Quality is the opposite. So, they don't give you this stuff on cheaper cameas, not even BM does.

Wayne Steven

PostWed Feb 20, 2019 3:56 am

Long articles are better.

Or to ironically put it in Spartan terms, "Knowledge Better" or "Knowledge!"

Kobayashi Shinji

PostTue Feb 26, 2019 10:48 am

Csaba Nagy wrote:UPDATE.

Not much new since last update, redesigned web interface with more functionality. Also a early look at the development hardware. Final design will be a much smaller and compact form factor.

Have begun pcb design, but as this is a new venture for myself will take some time to wrap my head around it all. Looking to do a small batch of about 50 units for the first run, these will be tilta nucleus nano control units and I’ll look to expand to simple controllers in the future.

NOTE: name is not finalized in anyway.

Wow, this is great! Will you mass produce your work and sell it? I am looking forward to buying it.

Wayne Steven

PostTue Feb 26, 2019 11:51 pm

Csaba mate, your OK. That Sony thing is too simple.

Emil Steixner

PostWed May 29, 2019 11:12 am

Csaba Nagy wrote:I’ve been investigating this myself for the past week or so.

I recently got my Nucleus Nano and have been trying to figure out how I can take advantage of the start/stop functionality built into that system.

My plan is to build a LANC/Bluetooth device that will read in LANC commands and broadcast them over Bluetooth to the camera.

To do this I’m planning to use a really nifty little device called an ESP-32, and for those unfamiliar it’s a tiny microcontroller with both Bluetooth and WiFi capability. It’s small, doesn’t use a ton of power and is very cheap!

Now I haven’t gotten very far with it yet, however I have been able to scan and see the pocket camera and attempt to connect. But that is where progress has come to a halt…. Establishing connection needs to be done ( as stated in the posts above ) using a pairing code and while that’s not necessarily a huge hurdle, I haven’t gotten the two to connect yet to a point where the camera will show the code on the back of its screen.

Blackmagic does document this in their Developer SDK, but the libraries for this ESP-32 are relatively new and example applications like this are very few in number so I haven’t been able to work off of anything. Lot's of samples where making the ESP-32 acts a server for smartphone client, but really hard to find example where the ESP-32 is the client and its connecting to a server device ( the camera in this case )

If any developers are out there with some advice or suggestions on how I can approach this next, that would be very appreciated!

yeah, I was thinking about that too. one simple solution would be to simply use the REC button nobody actually uses and let a servo press this button when the LANC controller via the Nucleus Nano tells it to. for me personally, that would really be enough! ;)

Csaba Nagy

PostWed May 29, 2019 9:04 pm

Australian Image wrote:
Emil Steixner wrote:yeah, I was thinking about that too. one simple solution would be to simply use the REC button nobody actually uses and let a servo press this button when the LANC controller via the Nucleus Nano tells it to. for me personally, that would really be enough! ;)

I've sent an email to Tilta suggesting that they consider making a Bluetooth adapter that attaches to the Nucleus N controller and use the Rec button to start/stop recording on the BMPCC4K. I'm assuming that one or more of the connector pins can be used for such control. They have responded that it's in the think about folder.

Maybe if others did the same, they might take more notice.

Like this? ;)
Csaba Nagy
Filmmaker
BMPCC4K

Ruben de Boer

PostFri May 31, 2019 9:34 am

Thanks to all the wonderful programming work by Csaba Nagy we now have 4 products to choose from with Bluetooth connectivity:

Trigger Box
Nucleus Nano controller
Wooden grip
Wooden sphere

All 4 pre-order pages are now open:
https://ble4k.com/
https://www.elementgear.eu/product-cate ... ic-design/

hartworx

PostThu Jun 06, 2019 1:06 pm

is there a possible solution to homebrew somehow to hack the nucleus-n bluetooth somehow to control the bmpcc4k camera or have another very simple button that can be attached to a gimbal?

controlling the camera right now is nearly impossible.
thanks a lot if you have some more information/help.

Ruben de Boer

PostSun Jun 09, 2019 10:29 am

hartworx wrote:is there a possible solution to homebrew somehow to hack the nucleus-n bluetooth somehow to control the bmpcc4k camera or have another very simple button that can be attached to a gimbal?

controlling the camera right now is nearly impossible.
thanks a lot if you have some more information/help.

Can you tell me which functionality you are missing, if you look at the 4 bluetooth products available? (see my post above)

Ruben de Boer

PostSun Jun 09, 2019 1:42 pm

Australian Image wrote:I noted in another thread that people are making all manner of solutions for the BMPCC4K, not just Bluetooth controllers, but none of these people are engaging their potential customers to find out exactly what they are after. And when potential customers do make suggestions, they are summarily dismissed or simply ignored. You end up making sports cars when people are after utes.

I'm not sure what you mean. You mean your suggestion about buttons being different colors? I've implemented that. About a different cable than Lemo? I've implemented that.

Or did I miss other suggestions?

kalinska

PostSun Jun 09, 2019 3:40 pm

I think the simple basic request (Recording ON / OFF button) was not taken into account. That's what the majority of people need. No need to handle exotic (pretty certe) or anything else that increases the price unnecessarily.
Ryzen 7-3800 - 48 Go - Win10 Pro X64 1809 - x BMPCC 4k /ATEM - Resolve Studio 18.6.2 - Decklink / Intensity Pro 4K - Nvidia 1080ti 537.58 et Nvidia 1660ti 528.49

Ruben de Boer

PostSun Jun 09, 2019 3:47 pm

bmd_triggerbox_1.jpg
bmd_triggerbox_1.jpg (331.23 KiB) Viewed 14209 times

And it's different than this one? Because this is the one I developed and I'm getting quite a bit of orders for. It's good to understand that developing this is a pain in the a#@ and costs unbelievable amount of time and money. Moreover, I can't implement all ideas. Just the ones I hear many people about.

But please let me know if there are other concrete ideas.

Csaba Nagy

PostMon Jun 10, 2019 7:50 am

Australian Image wrote:It doesn't matter how the Bluetooth connection works, Blackmagic has provided the codes that will allow any manufacturer to make any sort of Bluetooth controller. And when I said Tilta are already halfway there with the Nucleus Nano, the contacts on the hand controller provide 3+V for powering a Bluetooth device.

You don’t even need this, nucleus nano hand wheel has Bluetooth module built in, just scroll through the menu system on the hand wheel and you can see that you can turn the Bluetooth on/off.

I’m surprised they haven’t added the functionality yet with firmware...
Csaba Nagy
Filmmaker
BMPCC4K

Csaba Nagy

PostMon Jun 10, 2019 8:26 am

Australian Image wrote:
Csaba Nagy wrote:You don’t even need this, nucleus nano hand wheel has Bluetooth module built in, just scroll through the menu system on the hand wheel and you can see that you can turn the Bluetooth on/off.

I’m surprised they haven’t added the functionality yet with firmware...

But can a Bluetooth device operate two other Bluetooth devices at the same time? I was under the impression that it was a one for one system.

I’m highly certain the hand wheel does not talk to motor over Bluetooth, it’s likely some custom RF communication. That’s how they’re getting 300 feet of range.

At least in my experience with BLE development the range isn’t spectacular.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Csaba Nagy
Filmmaker
BMPCC4K

hartworx

PostTue Jun 11, 2019 7:06 am

As a possible customer I would love Tilta to implement a solution to start & stop the camera over the rec button.

What i personally would love to have would be a canon c200 or sony hand grip with two or three buttons and two wheels (one for focus (like the new tilta hand grip will have) and one for a function i can choose).

A rec button, and two buttons (one focus peaking on/off) and one eitehr false color or zebra).

The camera is fantastic but if you operate it on the shoulder you cannot touch the back of the camera or see it. other option would be a Android to arri rosette mount with a BT device that i can see in the sun and operate properly while having a external monitor on ...
complicated but that is the way to operate. If someone develops an external BMPCC4k monitor that has BT and touch and does exactly what the BMPCC4k monitor does but over BT then take my money.

As a target group for the camera I don't see Youtube bloggers at all.

Csaba Nagy

PostTue Jun 11, 2019 7:11 am

hartworx wrote:If someone develops an external BMPCC4k monitor that has BT and touch and does exactly what the BMPCC4k monitor does but over BT then take my money.

Portkeys BM5 is aiming to do just that:
https://www.cinema5d.com/portkeys-bm5/
Csaba Nagy
Filmmaker
BMPCC4K

JelleP

PostTue Aug 13, 2019 7:27 am

I made my own little bluetooth thumb controller to control focus, aperture and rec start/stop. No need for a Tilta FF, it drives the lens directly from the camera over bluetooth. I’ve also added 2 huge LEDs to clearly indicate recording (I was missing this on the camera, it’s sometimes hard to see if it’s recording). The box is 3d printed.
So far I’m extremely happy with… To see it in action, take a look here: youtube.com/watch?v=_3tlmJh9MJA (sorry can't post full links apparently)

evanfotis

PostMon Sep 02, 2019 3:28 pm

Hello, would it be feasible to implement a "follow focus" function through a BT app, that would measure distance between camera and app to pull focus? If this could work it could offer "PDAF - like" capabilities to BMD cameras, where the focus would follow the person holding the device with the BT app.

Wayne Steven

PostWed Sep 04, 2019 2:34 pm

Yep, it would be good. I had this thought in the 1990's.
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography