Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Network rendering problems

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Zeke Faust

Network rendering problems

PostFri Feb 08, 2019 7:24 pm

My post production studio is attempting to use Fusion's network render for most of our rendering, but the built in render manager doesn't seem to be very reliable or stable. Nodes will fail or drop offline for no apparent reason.

I have reactor custom mapped to a shared folder on our network so that our plugins are always up to date, which meant I had to overwrite the .prefs file, but this shouldn't cause problems should it? I often get the "komkomdoorn could not be located" error, but when I check the prefs it's mapped correctly.

The console sometimes shows permissions failures but with no other details it's hard to diagnose.

We'd like to move to Fusion for all of our VFX, but network rendering/multimachine rendering is something we depend heavily on.

Is there an optimum setup for fusion render nodes I should be aware of? Has anyone else experienced issues like this?

Thanks
Threadripper 3960x
128GB memory
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090

Theodor Groeneboom

Re: Network rendering problems

PostSun Feb 10, 2019 5:11 pm

Move to another render manager, I recommend Deadline if you have a budget. Or Afanasy if you don't. (I somewhat prefer Afanasy due to it being open source and hack-friendly)

Zeke Faust

Re: Network rendering problems

PostMon Feb 11, 2019 10:18 pm

Theodor Groeneboom wrote:Move to another render manager, I recommend Deadline if you have a budget. Or Afanasy if you don't. (I somewhat prefer Afanasy due to it being open source and hack-friendly)

Thanks for the reply, Afanasy looks great! Couple of questions:

1) Do you know where I might find more artist-friendly documentation, or at least info that's more specific to Fusion 9? I'm trying to set it up and not having much luck and there's literally only 1 post about Fusion on the forums. I'm following this tutorial but get stuck when I submit the job and nothing happens.

2) Does Afanasy work without the need for the fusion dongle? The nice thing about the Fusion render node is no need for the license. To buy a dongle for every machine at my studio would cost thousands.

I'll ask over on their forums as well, but if you have experience using afanasy with fusion I'd love to hear about it

Thanks
Threadripper 3960x
128GB memory
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090

Return to Fusion