Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Fusion Page Tracker MM Reversing X,Y

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Timber

Fusion Page Tracker MM Reversing X,Y

PostSat Feb 09, 2019 5:33 am

New to Confusion, but I want VFX with a live connection to Resolve. Problem: when I track footage in the Fusion page (not standalone), it tracks it fine, I can see the track is good, but when I push some footage through the node, setting it to Matchmove, the track looks like X and Y values are flipped, and it "butterflies" off the track center. What's up with that? I don't see any switches to flip axes. Tips greatly appreciated; I'm looking to track some patches onto footage.

Sander de Regt

Re: Fusion Page Tracker MM Reversing X,Y

PostSat Feb 09, 2019 4:17 pm

Without images or comps it's difficult to tell what might be causing this. Any chance of uploading something somewhere for us to see? (You're a new member of the forum, so BMD hasn't giving you full posting privileges yet).
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Timber

PostSat Feb 09, 2019 7:27 pm

Sander de Regt wrote:Without images or comps it's difficult to tell what might be causing this. Any chance of uploading something somewhere for us to see? (You're a new member of the forum, so BMD hasn't giving you full posting privileges yet).

Thanks for your help. I could easily make a no-source project file which would illustrate the problem. The track itself looks perfect; the problem is in applying it to another source, which in this case is simply a spline-masked Background. Which I presume is identical in function to a "Solid" in After Effects?

Bryan Ray

PostSun Feb 10, 2019 4:58 pm

Probably you have it set to "BG Only," which is the stabilize mode (wish they would have just called it that). Try piping your imagery into the Foreground input, then setting it to "FG Only." But don't disconnect the Background—the Tracker requires that to set the reference size, and it will fail if nothing is hooked up there, even if the pixels are being discarded.

Details about the Operation page of the Tracker begin on page 663 of the Fusion 9 Tool Reference doc:
https://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/ ... erence.pdf

It will look a little different in Resolve—the multi-buttons are all combo boxes there, for instance—but as far as I know, little to nothing of the actual operation of the node has changed.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

Timber

PostMon Feb 11, 2019 12:24 am

Bryan Ray wrote:Probably you have it set to "BG Only," which is the stabilize mode (wish they would have just called it that). Try piping your imagery into the Foreground input, then setting it to "FG Only." But don't disconnect the Background—the Tracker requires that to set the reference size, and it will fail if nothing is hooked up there, even if the pixels are being discarded. It will look a little different in Resolve—the multi-buttons are all combo boxes there, for instance—but as far as I know, little to nothing of the actual operation of the node has changed.

Bryan,

Very helpful response - thanks! What I wasn't understanding is that a Tracker is apparently a special-purpose Merge node. I didn't have things hooked up to the correct inputs. Yes, naming is sometimes a bit questionable. What would be a Solid in After Effects is a Background. Except it isn't strictly speaking a background; it could also be a foreground.

Return to Fusion