URSA Broadcast concerns?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

pallermo

URSA Broadcast concerns?

PostFri Feb 08, 2019 8:06 pm

Dear all,
I had in a plan to purchase few URSA Broadcast cameras but after I saw two reviews on B&H I really become very worried about this two reviews:

1. "First issue ... I have a great 1.8 Fujinon 2/3 HD ENG lens that gives me pristine images on my Panasonic ENG camera. But because of the long B4 mount on the Ursa Broadcast camera I seem to be losing about a stop and a half to 2 stops of light, maybe more. They don't tell you about that in the description. I thought I might be able to make that up by using the Gain but no way. The camera is surprisingly noisy even at 0 DB and just got worse when I tried to compensate for the light loss by adding 3, 6, and then 12 DB of gain. All I got was increasingly worse grainy imagery. I tried in HD 1080P and then in UHD 4K and the grain was bad in both cases. Worse still, the moment I went to 4K, I got this Cross Hatched footage. Unacceptable. I film the performing arts for a living and an ENG Camera is usually perfect for me, so I was extremely hopeful about the Ursa Broadcast but there is no way it could handle even a touch of underexposure let alone the low contrasty light conditions I work in (Black backdrops and wings on stage). I can't imagine how this could be acceptable to a news organization working in the street at night. Unless they lit everything. So.. i'm very disappointed. Not sure if it was just this unit, or if it's inherent in the Ursa. I should have waited to see what others said when they bought it."

2. "Love the URSA line Blackmagic is introducing. However, the B4 mount seems to cut out about a stop to a stop and a halfs worth of light when it finally reaches the sensor. And 12db if gain will 100% be too noisy to use.
Film profile helped a lot with this issue, but still not too nice. If youew working in a space with plenty of light, then by all means go for it. But if, like me, you don't always get that light....maybe keep looking for your affordable ENG."

After those two reviews, I have doubts about purchasing this camera :(
Is there any comment on this or is this fixable or not?
primarily, I am concerned regarding losing stops of light witch is really unacceptable and also how is camera performing in low light environments?

Denny Smith

Re: URSA Broadcast concerns?

PostSat Feb 09, 2019 6:23 am

The Ursa aBrodcast Camera B4 mountnis a 1.5 tele-Converter optical block that corrects for the 3-CCD Focus issues and expands the image circle of a B4 lens to cover the 1-inch sensor, so you loose about 1.5 stops light of light in the process. I find I am able to use +6dB of Gain without any excessive video noise.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Robert Betzner

PostSat Feb 09, 2019 12:03 pm

It seems that this is not the right camera for you. Get another one. If you have to use it in low light situations that is not the right choice for you. It is a broadcast camera and in most cases it will be used in a controlled lighting enviroment.

Just for your information: Try the Ursa mini pro. It has a native ISO of 800 and will perform a little better in low light situations. Allthough you can only use it in 1080 mode with B4 lenses due to the fact that it has a bigger sensor (crop).

If you really need low light performance you should get a Panasonic EVA1 f.e. which has a native ISO of 800 and 2500 with very low noise.

BTW.: It seems to me that you never really used and tried the Ursa Broadcast - because there is no 3dB gain setting on this camera. ;)

Cheers

Robert

Denny Smith

PostSat Feb 09, 2019 6:07 pm

That was my take too Robert, he was going by a third party review of unknown source, and not first hand experience.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Xtreemtec

PostSun Feb 10, 2019 3:17 pm

Correct lighting is key! But i feel even at 12dB gain the image is very acceptable and much better then other and older ENG cameras. ;)

But yes if need a real low light camera. Go with a Sony a7s2 or something.. These babys can crank up to iso 10K :lol: :lol:
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Denny Smith

PostMon Feb 11, 2019 9:37 pm

I find the Ursa Boradcast very easy to use and setup, more so than say the Panasonic AF100. The B4 Mount does create a X1.5 stop light loss, but this is adequately compensated for with the increased useable gain increase, over its Micro Studio 4K counterpart.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Live Production