I can only get ~10 mins recording ProRes HQ 4K. Is this norm

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

saleh3z

PostTue Feb 12, 2019 7:58 am

I use the battery that came with the camera. Connected to 1TB Samsung T5 via USB-C

I understand the camera is power hungry, but 10 mins only of HQ 4K? Is this supposed to happen or do I have a defected unit?

saleh3z

Re: I can only get ~10 mins recording ProRes HQ 4K. Is this

PostTue Feb 12, 2019 8:31 am

Australian Image wrote:The battery that comes with the camera is of very low quality and won't last as long as a genuine Canon battery.

The recent update to ver 6.1 (you have updated?) has improved things somewhat and you may get more time out of it before it runs out.

I ordered Canon batteries from amazon, the camera shuts off after a few seconds of recording.

And yes, I have updated.

Robert Niessner

PostTue Feb 12, 2019 8:41 am

saleh3z wrote:I ordered Canon batteries from amazon, the camera shuts off after a few seconds of recording.

And yes, I have updated.

When you say you ordered the batteries from Amazon- do you mean Amazon itself or from Amazon marketplace? And if you say Canon batteries do you mean from Canon or Canon compatible?

If it is from Canon, then make sure it is genuine and not a counterfeit product, as this can happen with lots of the marketplace offers.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Tim Lota

PostTue Feb 12, 2019 8:43 am

saleh3z wrote:I ordered Canon batteries from amazon, the camera shuts off after a few seconds of recording.

There are a lot of good looking fakes out there. Maybe you have been scammed. Most users here have 45-60 minutes of power with an original canon battery.

saleh3z

PostTue Feb 12, 2019 9:10 am

Robert Niessner wrote:

And yes, I have updated.

When you say you ordered the batteries from Amazon- do you mean Amazon itself or from Amazon marketplace? And if you say Canon batteries do you mean from Canon or Canon compatible?

If it is from Canon, then make sure it is genuine and not a counterfeit product, as this can happen with lots of the marketplace offers.

I bought it off of a seller in Amazon. It was like 3 bucks cheaper than the regular prime ones. And yes, it is a Canon brand LP-E6 battery.

saleh3z

PostTue Feb 12, 2019 9:11 am

Australian Image wrote:You may well have fake Canon batteries. This has been discussed before and it's a known fact that Amazon does sell fake Canon batteries.

Check to see if they are genuine and if not, send them back. How to check: https://www.canon.com.au/support/suppor ... t-products.

This is a genuine Canon battery: https://australianimage.com.au/wp-conte ... /Canon.jpg.

Thank you for this! Mine looks very similar and I can't detect any deferences tbh. Especially the back label is the same pretty much.

Robert Niessner

PostTue Feb 12, 2019 9:20 am

Have at look at plastic parts with the golden contacts. Counterfeit batteries have thicker plastic parts there, the plus and minus symbols are thicker and the long groves with round edges are not well defined.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Feb 12, 2019 9:29 am

Tap on the battery icon so that it displays voltage instead of percentage. What is the voltage reading when the battery is full?

mico p

PostTue Feb 12, 2019 1:11 pm

How much did you pay for the battery?

Dune00z

PostTue Feb 12, 2019 3:27 pm

I am not saying that this is absolutely the problem, however, there are many private sellers on Amazon selling counterfeits. I bought all of the ones I currently use from local stores who buy direct from Canon and have never received a counterfeit from them. The two Canon LPe6n batteries I bought from Amazon were fakes and I returned them. These were sold at full price and Amazon does not really follow up to make sure sellers are selling genuine products as they claim no real responsibility.

I strongly recommend buying only from trusted sellers as the Canon lpe6 knockoff market is huge and very profitable and there are really good counterfeits out there now which when paired with the pocket 4k, a very power hungry camera, shut down prematurely or have issues because they cannot handle the power draw. Usually these batteries also swell and get stuck inside.

If the camera works fine with the BMD battery, meaning lasts about 45 minutes, I would wager there is something wrong with the other batteries and not the camera. I actually have not had problems with the BMD battery, it just does not display a percentage. Basically I get about 50 minutes with it before the voltage drops off a cliff and I then change the battery. I can get about 45 minutes easy with an SSD plugged in with the Genuine Canon batteries before needing to exchange.

rick.lang

PostTue Feb 12, 2019 3:57 pm

It can be very frustrating as the batteries are nearly perfect copies of the external appearance. Amazon makes it easy to return and tracks those returns against third-party resellers and will even delete their accounts, but a day later the resellers are back with a different name and fake reviews and fake satisfaction counts.

I don’t buy from Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

saleh3z

PostWed Feb 13, 2019 12:43 am

Kristian Lam wrote:Tap on the battery icon so that it displays voltage instead of percentage. What is the voltage reading when the battery is full?

7.5 V (flickering between 7.6)

saleh3z

PostWed Feb 13, 2019 12:44 am

mico p wrote:How much did you pay for the battery?

$57

rick.lang

PostWed Feb 13, 2019 1:15 am

Canon’s official price for the LP-E6N is $80. B&H Photo has them at $61. Amazon lists them for $83 strangely but if I click on that I’m sure there will be cheaper alternatives listed. And someone else is selling them for $18.

Best Buy Canada and London Drugs Canada list for $120 Cdn! Aren’t we blessed in the Great White North? At least Canon Canada has a sale at $90!

At $57 we can see they should be legitimate but did you go to the Canon site to verify they are genuine?

Rick Lang

mico p

PostWed Feb 13, 2019 2:03 am

saleh3z wrote:
mico p wrote:How much did you pay for the battery?

$57

Okay I went to amazon and found a $58 lp-e6 battery. I checked out reviews of the store on yelp and the better business bureau and it has some real terrible reviews. Is the battery legit? I can't know. But I would only buy from places that everyone knows is trustworthy.

rick.lang

PostWed Feb 13, 2019 7:29 am

My thoughts as well. You can have one company sell a fake battery for $18 and another sell the identical item for $57. Most people wouldn’t waste their time on the suspicious $18 item but $57 ‘must’ be authentic.

Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography