Tangent Wave2 support

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Janis Lionel

Tangent Wave2 support

PostTue Feb 12, 2019 10:41 am

Hi there,

Is there any chance BMD will update usability for the Wave2? I seems stuck in V9/V10...they haven't changed anything from Wave 1.

I understand the interest of BMD for their own products: But either they let users use the Micro / Mini Panels for other programs than resolve, or they open their hearts for Tangent, which seems the right thing to do.

Theres only this much you can force useres into...like Decklink for Full Screen...sure that works, since you also get 10bit and colour accuracy. But will multiplatform useres like me (I intend to use it for Resolve and Capture 1) won't buy the Mini or Micro Panel...so why give them a hard time with tangent? I will rather move them away from BMD...

So please overthink tangent.
--
Windows 10 / i4930k @4.3Ghz / 32GB RAM / GTX 1080 / 12TB RAID 0 (4 x 3 TB) / Mini Monitor 4K / Eizo CG247x / Mainly working with CDNG 4:1

Myron Hobizal

Re: Tangent Wave2 support

PostTue Feb 12, 2019 5:25 pm

They have no plans to update the Tangent devices. I got an email from support awhile back, that they were busy working on other projects.

Janis Lionel

PostWed Feb 13, 2019 7:46 am

Can you share that mail?
--
Windows 10 / i4930k @4.3Ghz / 32GB RAM / GTX 1080 / 12TB RAID 0 (4 x 3 TB) / Mini Monitor 4K / Eizo CG247x / Mainly working with CDNG 4:1

Mark Walter

PostFri May 24, 2019 7:37 am

I also would be interested if the wave 2 gets an update any time soon. I do understand the hardware policy But this is really bad support. No color temperature, no tint control, etc. If you are really busy with other projects, just open it for the Tangent mapper at least!

Xtreemtec

PostFri May 24, 2019 2:33 pm

Mark Walter wrote:I also would be interested if the wave 2 gets an update any time soon. I do understand the hardware policy But this is really bad support. No color temperature, no tint control, etc. If you are really busy with other projects, just open it for the Tangent mapper at least!

I think this is pretty clear why they do not move on with the Tangent support ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Mark Walter

PostSat May 25, 2019 8:12 am

I know. That’s why I wrote „I understand the hardware policy“. On the other hand, the built quality of the bm panels speaks for itself. If I was a professional Color grader, I would definitely go for one of those panels. So why worry and cripple a budget solution that is hardware wise not built for daily professional use? And I am not talking about including every single control that the mini panel has to offer. Just colour temperature, mid detail etc. pretty basic.

Marc Wielage

PostSun May 26, 2019 12:58 am

Mark Walter wrote:I know. That’s why I wrote „I understand the hardware policy“. On the other hand, the built quality of the bm panels speaks for itself. If I was a professional Color grader, I would definitely go for one of those panels. So why worry and cripple a budget solution that is hardware wise not built for daily professional use? And I am not talking about including every single control that the mini panel has to offer. Just colour temperature, mid detail etc. pretty basic.

I don't think BMD is deliberately "crippling" competing controllers. I think they're focusing on keeping their own hardware/software releases as state-of-the-art as they can, with the resources they have. But I think it's fair to say that maintaining 3rd party panel support is not high on their list of priorities.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Mark Walter

PostSun May 26, 2019 9:52 am

Marc Wielage wrote:
Mark Walter wrote:I know. That’s why I wrote „I understand the hardware policy“. On the other hand, the built quality of the bm panels speaks for itself. If I was a professional Color grader, I would definitely go for one of those panels. So why worry and cripple a budget solution that is hardware wise not built for daily professional use? And I am not talking about including every single control that the mini panel has to offer. Just colour temperature, mid detail etc. pretty basic.

I don't think BMD is deliberately "crippling" competing controllers. I think they're focusing on keeping their own hardware/software releases as state-of-the-art as they can, with the resources they have. But I think it's fair to say that maintaining 3rd party panel support is not high on their list of priorities.

Well, cripple was probably a little bit harsh. And I understand that BM has a lot going on, I really do. But I am sure that the people over at Tangent would be interested in helping out mapping the panel to the recent features of Davinci. It just feels like that the controls are stuck at version 9 or so...

jussi rovanpera

PostSun May 26, 2019 9:57 am

AFAIK Resolve sees Wave and Wave2 as the same controller.

But I agree, the mapping is bad, and still missing a bunch of controls that were added to Resolve years ago, like color boost, midtone detail etc...

Mark Walter

PostSun May 26, 2019 9:54 pm

Is it possible to set a keyboard shortcut for midtone detail, Color boost or Color temp? That would really help a lot.

Mark Walter

PostMon May 27, 2019 6:51 am

And does anyone know if the F-buttons can still be remapped with controllermate? I couldn't get it to work.

Return to DaVinci Resolve