Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Image Plane face camera after Duplicate3D

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

bryanfordney

Image Plane face camera after Duplicate3D

PostWed Feb 13, 2019 10:54 pm

To make an Image Plane always face camera, I understand you can give it a Target and connect that to the Camera.

But that's doesn't work when you feed the Image Plane into a Duplicate 3D. Anyone know a method to make the duplicated 3d objects "face camera" after the duplication step?

Bryan Ray

Re: Image Plane face camera after Duplicate3D

PostThu Feb 14, 2019 11:26 pm

Well, not an easy way, but it should be possible using CustomVertex3d. If you know the dimensions of each plane, you could use the UVs to determine each vertex's local coordinates relative to the plane's center and perform a pair of rotations to get it to face camera. You'd also need to calculate the necessary angles to the camera's location.

It's a pretty tricky problem with a few layers you'll have to solve, but I think it's doable.

If you want to give it a try, I'd start by setting up a CustomVertex3D node that can do an X- and Y-Rotation of a single plane with its center at the origin (take a look at the Custom Tool entry in the Fusion Tool Reference—it has the necessary formulae to do a 2d rotation). Then work out how to rotate a plane that's not on the origin.

After that, work out how to rotate a plane using its dimensions and its vertices' UV coordinates rather than their actual positions.

The last piece will be to figure out how to calculate the rotation angles from the camera's location and the plane's location.

Once you have all of those component problems solved, you should be able to combine them to get the result you're after. Theoretically.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

Return to Fusion