Using Intensity Extreme thunderbolt on a Win 10 computer

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Mesega

Using Intensity Extreme thunderbolt on a Win 10 computer

PostWed Feb 06, 2019 3:11 am

I have an old Blackmagic Intensity Extreme thuderbolt device (old model) that I use on a Mac unpsing the thunderbolt cable. My question is, can I use this device on a Win10 desktop computer connecting it to a thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) connector? I connected it to the computer, the USB-C connector is compatible with thunderbolt. The Intensity Extreme is detected by Win10 but I cannot see the video from the camera. Is there a driver available that is compatible with this model?

Thanks...

Manuel

Harry Parker

Re: Using Intensity Extreme thunderbolt on a Win 10 computer

PostThu Feb 07, 2019 11:48 pm

Do you have Desktop Video installed on your Win10 box?

Eric-Jan

PostFri Feb 08, 2019 12:35 am

Mesega, are you sure you have all the correct resolution settings ? frame rate, etc....
Every BMD device comes with Mac and MS windows software, later you can allways update with the latest version(s) from the website.
You say "camera", so you are using the HDMI connection ? this must also be set in the" Desktop Video utility/driver", also, it can help, to try other switch on sequence of all the devices.
Google is also helpful for "same use cases"
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Mesega

PostTue Feb 12, 2019 2:33 am

Hello, I installed Video Desktop 10.11.2. The camera is connected to the Intensit Extreme via HDMI cable. The driver detects the Intensity Extreme and I can try different resolutions but none of them seem to work. What other settings should I check?

Eric-Jan

PostTue Feb 12, 2019 6:02 pm

I use the Intensity Shuttle, don't know for sure how the Extreme works, but i also have to select the input i'm using, because the software doesn't have a "detect" function, so if you have selected the HDMI input in your case, in the Video Desktop util/driver, it should work,

Or maybe, depending on camera model, you should set your camera to output video over it's HDMI output.
(check manual)

Also the HDMI cable should not be too long, what'sthe lenght of the cable ?
maybe you can use an other HDMI device on the Extreme, to see if that will work ?

All settings should match between your camera and the Extreme, check in the settings of the camera, and with the help of the manual, if this checks out 1920x1080 (example) frame rate 24/25/30/50 60 (or those non exact values) p or i (progressive or interlaced)

That's about it, what i can come up with, not much other things can go wrong with it,
Actual... there can maybe, maybe the Thunderbolt device gets no power through the interface....
but it is detected.. so it should, i guess, maybe a BMD moderator/technician can help out with that...

If you don't "do" 4K resolution, and you also have a ThunderBolt2 interface, the Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini Recorder, is a more "smarter" choice, it's a small device, you can tape it anywhere on a setup/rig.
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Mesega

PostWed Feb 13, 2019 11:24 pm

Thank you for your response. I was thinking the same about the power not being enough for the Intensity Extreme to work in this computer. The plan I have is to replace the current computer with this one for video streaming using vMix (Windows only). The old computer is a Mac Mini, the Intensity Extreme is working fine in this computer. I plan to use the same Sony HXR-MC2000 camera. The driver I use in the original camera is the one that came with the Intensity Extreme. For the new computer I am using Video Desktop. The difference is that in the Windows computer I am using a Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt 3 (USB Type C) adapter from Apple. The motherboard has the Thunderbolt 3 connectors. I will look at the settings in the camera to if I can it make it work. If not, maybe I will have to buy a new device.

Eric-Jan

PostSat Feb 16, 2019 11:06 am

Best is you should avoid using a hub or a extra interface between your capture device and computer, this is not always a rule, an capture card in a pc works most of the time, to be shure, you should email the support of BMD,
this will open an ticket, and will be closed once your problem has been solved, this worked for me in the past, and got great support.

Mesega

PostSun Feb 17, 2019 2:39 am

Thanks for your suggestion. I will do that.

Return to Getting Started