Desktop Video SDK-Question: VANC INPUT?

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

Edgar Bueltemeyer

Desktop Video SDK-Question: VANC INPUT?

PostTue Feb 12, 2019 5:23 pm

Hi,

i was taking a look at the SDK for Desktop Video 10.11.4.

I need to develop an application that receives camera metadata over SDI playing into a BM Decklink card.

Downloaded the SDK. There's a VancOutput demo application. is this putting out Vanc over SDI or receiving it? I looked through the source code and with my limited abilitites i think i realized that it only is good for output TO the camera. I would need the exact opposite...

The application i try to realize is a plugin for Unreal Engine that recives the camera metadata like focus, iris and zoom and can stream it to the engine's internal camera.

Any help is highly appreciated! :D

Best Regards!
--
PC:Resolve 18.5 - Tangent Wave - Speed Editor-Win11-AMD RYZEN 9-12 cores 64GB-RTX 4060 TI 16GB
Laptop: DR 18.5 / i7 Quad 16GB / GTX 860m
Macbook Air M1

Xtreemtec

Re: Desktop Video SDK-Question: VANC INPUT?

PostTue Feb 12, 2019 5:33 pm

Your question belongs into the Software Developers sub forum, But i guess 1 of the moderators will be so nice to move it. ;)

What camera are we talking about? Because i do not know any camera able to send Focus Iris Zoom data into the SDI meta data. ;)

But i might be wrong. Never worked with an application like this. :)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Feb 12, 2019 6:42 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:Your question belongs into the Software Developers sub forum, But i guess 1 of the moderators will be so nice to move it. ;)

I'll be the nice one today I suppose. ;)
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Edgar Bueltemeyer

PostWed Feb 13, 2019 9:27 am

Hi,

thanks for moving this topic...

The camera i'm talking about is the Panasonic EVA-1. It sends out VANC over SDI.
Though i did not yet find information about what exactly is in the VANC Stream...

Also The Blackmagic URSA cameras should output some metadata but i also did not find documentation about that yet...

VANC / HANC metadata is a very difficult topic and you don't find anything concrete online. Lika the holy grail of camera tech...

Which is really a shame. Every company like Blackmagic should jump on the bandwagon of VR/AR/mixed reality production and previz. There you need camera/lens metadata.

So... The first one to actually deliver a working system that doesn't need tons of additional custom hardware will probably make some cash...

Regards!
--
PC:Resolve 18.5 - Tangent Wave - Speed Editor-Win11-AMD RYZEN 9-12 cores 64GB-RTX 4060 TI 16GB
Laptop: DR 18.5 / i7 Quad 16GB / GTX 860m
Macbook Air M1

Xtreemtec

PostWed Feb 13, 2019 10:04 am

Don't forget that most cameras that have detachable lenses do not even have all that information present of the lens.

With broadcast these lenses normally do not comunicate this back to the camera. And with photolenses some info is given to the camera. But photolenses often do not support zoom control.

Hanc (Horizontal Ancilary data) & Vanc (Vertical Ancilary data) is data embedded into the sdi information.
This data can be Timecode, Record flags, Embedded Audio, Closed caption, DVITC, Dolby Meta data, payload id's, ETC ,
And BMD cleverly uses a bit of Anc data to move control data from the Atem to the BMD Camera's. (which is not done by any other manufacturer. )
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancillary_data

But there is no return data to the Atem. So it is not use-able for your case.
The Eva-1 also does not have a lot of information that is embedded into there ANC data.

So while your idea is great.. There is a reason those virtual studio setups with AR cost so much.. As they add sensors to the camera and put in very expensive lenses that have 12 bit reading on there focus and zoom. This is then all processed by a controller that changes that to a position in time and space. :)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Jack Fairley

PostThu Feb 14, 2019 12:49 am

It can be done cheap, but it can't be done cheap and well. Most cameras/lenses simply do not collect sufficient data to do AR, so you would have to use a mechanical encoder to record FIZ data. You also have to track the position of the camera, which requires more sensors and another data stream to process and feed into the engine in a usable format. Not to mention the fact that each lens is unique, and your software must calibrate to match it exactly. I've been to multiple demos from people who have done all that work and made an Unreal plugin, and the results are quite good.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

mminer

PostWed May 06, 2020 2:54 am

Were you able to make any progress with reading lens metadata into Unreal? I'm trying to do the exact same thing, but this particular piece of the puzzle appears to be a real obstacle.

crsepulv

PostSun Feb 07, 2021 4:55 am

I'm looking for the same: how to read SDI metada from a BM micro studio conected to a decklink 8k pro. there is a software that can do this?

Return to Software Developers