Davinci Resolve won't start, or crashes

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

gdguarino

Davinci Resolve won't start, or crashes

PostWed Feb 13, 2019 12:40 pm

Just getting started. Pretty ignorant. Musician/composer interested in doing a little video editing. Downloaded DaVinci Resolve 15 (Free version).

HP Z420 Workstation
Windows 10 Pro
Intel Xeon Six-Core Second Gen E5-1650v2 3.5GHz
64GB of RAM
1TB SSD
2TB HDD
6TB External USB HDD
Quadro NVS 290 Video Card

Program told me it can't find a CUDA capable GPU. Changed configuration to - one of the other choices, can't remember which (and can't get back to that window now). Now program gets to the "select a project" page, but instantly crashes when I try to start a new project. Can't find how to access the settings to try anything else.

A little research gives me the impression that the video card is the culprit here. Is it? If so, what will work? The configuration guide I seems geared toward what would make a really professional setup, not what would allow a dabbler like myself to get by for a reasonable investment. A couple hundred bucks maybe. I wouldn't need a more capable graphics card for any other purpose. Any suggestions?

Uli Plank

Re: Davinci Resolve won't start, or crashes

PostThu Feb 14, 2019 11:34 am

Get a used Radeon 570 or 580 card, yours is outdated and has far too small VRAM.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Dieter Scheel

PostThu Feb 14, 2019 2:34 pm

gdguarino wrote:Quadro NVS 290 Video Card

Thats your problem - get yourself a cheap Nvidia card like the GTX1060Ti or, depending on your budget, a GTX1070Ti, also the RTX2060 would be a good choice - and you will get CUDA with this cards.

You will need at least 4-6GB for editing Full-HD material and at least 6-8GB for UHD video editing. If it comes to memory, either GPU or CPU - more is better.
Resolve Studio 18.6 | Linux Mint 21.3 'Virginia' | 32 GB | i7 | RTX2070 8 GB (535.161.07) | 2 TB SSD | 48 TB NAS
Lenovo Legion | Resolve Studio 18.6 | Linux Mint 21.3 'Virginia' | 16 GB | i5 | GTX1650 4 GB (535.161.07) | 1.25 TB SSD

gdguarino

PostThu Feb 14, 2019 4:45 pm

Thanks for the advice. So you are confident that the rest of my configuration should be fine for running DaVinci resolve?
Would it also be useful should I choose a different video editing program? My daughter does a fair amount of editing on a much less capable computer but with different software. Her last project had six tracks two of which were 4K. The rendering time was of course obnoxious and there was some stuttering of the preview but she still gets away with it somehow even though she has generic nothing special I5 laptop.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Dieter Scheel

PostThu Feb 14, 2019 6:01 pm

gdguarino wrote:Thanks for the advice. So you are confident that the rest of my configuration should be fine for running DaVinci resolve? Would it also be useful should I choose a different video editing program?

Yes. And yes. :)

I choose Linux as my OS of choice - it is just more stable and performant as Windows. And it would be helpful to get the Studio version because that makes full use of your hardware. But again - that depends on your budget.
Resolve Studio 18.6 | Linux Mint 21.3 'Virginia' | 32 GB | i7 | RTX2070 8 GB (535.161.07) | 2 TB SSD | 48 TB NAS
Lenovo Legion | Resolve Studio 18.6 | Linux Mint 21.3 'Virginia' | 16 GB | i5 | GTX1650 4 GB (535.161.07) | 1.25 TB SSD

deezid

PostThu Feb 14, 2019 10:26 pm

Dieter Scheel wrote:
gdguarino wrote:Thanks for the advice. So you are confident that the rest of my configuration should be fine for running DaVinci resolve? Would it also be useful should I choose a different video editing program?

Yes. And yes. :)

I choose Linux as my OS of choice - it is just more stable and performant as Windows. And it would be helpful to get the Studio version because that makes full use of your hardware. But again - that depends on your budget.

I agree with everything.
Resolve Studio works faster here on (manjaro) Linux than it does on Windows 10 and doesn't complain about Full GPU Memory anymore despite using a NVIDIA 1080Ti with 11gb of vram.
Download my 55M Advanced Luts for the Pocket 4K and 6K and UMP12K here:
https://55media.net/55mluts/

Uli Plank

PostFri Feb 15, 2019 1:31 am

"Despite"? It shouldn't complain when it has 11 GB VRAM – well, maybe if you are using Hyper HD aka 16K ;-)
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

deezid

PostFri Feb 15, 2019 3:40 am

Uli Plank wrote:"Despite"? It shouldn't complain when it has 11 GB VRAM – well, maybe if you are using Hyper HD aka 16K ;-)

Noise reduction on a 4K DCI ACES timeline with lot's of GH5 10 bit long gop footage and even some 6K H265 in 10 bit.
Works fine on my Linux installation though.

Same issue on my laptop with a 980M with 4GB vram.
I can't even really add as many nodes on the windows version as I can on my Manjaro Linux install on the same hardware. It's either bad optimization by BMD or Microsoft... Really guessing it's MS though. :mrgreen:
Download my 55M Advanced Luts for the Pocket 4K and 6K and UMP12K here:
https://55media.net/55mluts/

gdguarino

PostFri Feb 15, 2019 3:24 pm

OK. So I definitely need a new video card, even if I eventually choose different editing software.

Now, if I can impose on you kind folks just a little more, I have a different scenario:

I bought the computer I mentioned above primarily for my music recording needs, to replace a less capable computer.( Virtual instruments these days need a lot of RAM). The old one is a Quad Core I7 with 12GB of RAM. I don't know what video card is in it, but I'll assume it's something inadequate.

I'm wondering if that one - with a suitable video card - would run DaVinci Resolve. I assume my newer computer would work better, but if it worked well enough, the old computer would be available for my daughter to use as well. She has a little side business going while she's in (music) school, shooting and editing performance and promo videos. She somehow does her editing on a nondescript Toshiba I5 laptop with some version of Vegas. So presumably even my older computer would be better for her.

Return to DaVinci Resolve