Speedbooster Nikon, Canon, Leica?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Alex Schmied

PostWed Feb 13, 2019 6:53 am

Hi!

I'm considering about buying a speedbooster, but don't really know, which is the better option.
I don't have any mentionable lenses so i'm free to decide.

First of all, the 0.58 seems to be better than 0.64 because of the less crop.

So what kind could be better for the search for the rather good and cheep lenses?
Are there any experiences?

Thanks!
Alex

Robert Baker

Re: Speedbooster Nikon, Canon, Leica?

PostThu Feb 14, 2019 7:06 pm

Alex Schmied wrote:Hi!

I'm considering about buying a speedbooster, but don't really know, which is the better option.
I don't have any mentionable lenses so i'm free to decide.

First of all, the 0.58 seems to be better than 0.64 because of the less crop.

So what kind could be better for the search for the rather good and cheep lenses?
Are there any experiences?

Thanks!
Alex

What will you be recording? There are many lenses to choose from with just as many different focal lengths but they all have strengths and weaknesses. Then add to that the various max aperture settings. It seems you have quite a bit of research to do. I suggest you start with YouTube and search for aperture or shutter speed and you will get a fair number of videos that help you determine what makes a lens good.

You also mentioned the crop factor but you should know the higher the Speedbooster number the more it reduces the crop factor so the .71 would provide less of a crop factor than the .64 version.
Small List of my current toolset:

BMPCC6k - EVA1 - GH5 - Canon R - DaVinci Resolve Studio - Adobe CC - Sony Soundforge 11 - Izotope RX7 - Izotope Elements

Alex Schmied

PostThu Feb 14, 2019 7:15 pm

i know about "goog or bad" lenses. But i don't know the market in all kind of lenses (canon, nikon, leica and so on). So i don't understand for now, which option could be the better one, to find some good lenses for video work.
Are there better options to find some "cheap but good" lenses from canon or nikon (i had nothing to do with nikon till now) and what about leica lenses?

Or is it just so, that the chances to find good lenses are equal for all options?

I hope its now a little bit clearer, what i mean. :)

P.S. thanks for the explanation about the factor of the speedbooster. So the higher number is better, to get less crop.

Ryan Humphrey

PostThu Feb 14, 2019 7:47 pm

It also depends on what camera you have or what lenses you already have. If you are starting from scratch you may want to stick to native mft lenses. Speed boosters are amazing for someone who already has a large investment in one type of glass. But they are not cheap. A lens set of Canon lenses plus the cost of the speed booster is likely going to cost more than equivalent mft lenses. Plus the speed booster adds an additional point of failure and complication.

Alex Schmied

PostThu Feb 14, 2019 7:54 pm

as i wrote, i don't have any mentionable lenses, that i can use (just some Sony A-Mount).

But what is about more light and less crop with the help of speedbooster?
Sure, it would be much easier AND cheeper just to buy some good mft lenses, but if 12mm are just about 30mm, it would be not so easy to shoot inside the rooms. And more of light is not so bad for the bmpcc.

Denny Smith

PostThu Feb 14, 2019 8:03 pm

I have and use Nikon Mount Zeiss ZF lenses (as I have a Nikon camera as well), which have the advayof having a Manual iris control, and the Nikon Mount can be replaced with a EF mount. You want to invest in lenses that can be easily cross platforms with different cameras. The longer the native FFD of the lens, the more choices with adapters.

Canon lenses need a smart adapter/Speed Booster to control the lens focus by wire and iris control, which adds to the cost, and reduces the compatibility on non Canon cameras. Currently the Canon/MFT Speed Booster does not have auto focus control working.

Leica lenses are excellent, again manual lenses with a a variety of adapters to use them on many cameras. However, Leica lenses tend to hold their value and cost more.

That said, adapted lenses are normally going to be manual control, no auto focus, no auto iris (except for Canon) and have more limited applications. Many, like the Nikon/Zeiss lenses can be cine moded adding focus gears and 77/80mm fronts. You might also look at Zeiss Milvus Nikon/Canon Mount lenses.

The Speed Booster does add an extra 1.5 stops of light, and expands the field of view on smaller sensor cameras, bringing them closer to what they show on S35 or full frame sensor cameras. I,like the 0.64, works with more lenses, and gives the Pocket 4K a S35 sensor angle,of view with the adapted lenses, which gives you the most common S35 lens focal length and perspective.

I went the adapted/Speed Booster route with my Zeiss ZF lenses, in the original Pocket and Micro Cameras, but ended up going back to native MFT lenses (Panny/Leica or Olympus Pro Primes), which offered more useable features, like auto focus and auto iris control, and did just as good a job image quality wise. One of my favorite native zooms, is the Olympus SW F/T 14-35 f/2.0 Zoom, which has push to focus AF on BM MFT Cameras, as well as real Manual focus to use with a Follow Focus, and is parfocal.

For my cine lens collection, I went back to PL mount lenses, both S16 on the Micro and S35 for MFT and S35 Cameras. I feel lenses designed for a given sensor size, perform better, and give a better IQ than adapted lenses, and this eliminates adapter except for the bolt on MFT/PL adapters I use.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Alex Schmied

PostThu Feb 14, 2019 8:26 pm

Thanks for all that good infos!
Hmm... not so easy to decide :ugeek:

So it seems to me, that its wiser to get the Nikon speedbooster, if i want to have more light and less crop or just to get some Olympus MFT lenses and live with problems while filming inside rooms.

By the way, i can not find the Olympus SW F/T 14-50 f/2.0 Zoom. Is there other lable in germany for that lense?

Robert Baker

PostThu Feb 14, 2019 8:31 pm

Alex Schmied wrote:i know about "goog or bad" lenses. But i don't know the market in all kind of lenses (canon, nikon, leica and so on). So i don't understand for now, which option could be the better one, to find some good lenses for video work.
Are there better options to find some "cheap but good" lenses from canon or nikon (i had nothing to do with nikon till now) and what about leica lenses?

Or is it just so, that the chances to find good lenses are equal for all options?

I hope its now a little bit clearer, what i mean. :)

P.S. thanks for the explanation about the factor of the speedbooster. So the higher number is better, to get less crop.

If I get what you are saying you are looking for cheap but good. I'm guess you are talking about vintage lenses from other mounts. While would still greatly depend on what you were trying to record my suggestion would be to start with used native lenses and then budget from there.

A speedbooster (which I have) isn't universal so you will still be locked into a lens mount system. I already had quite a few Canon lenses when I got my first MFT mount camera so it made sense for me to get a speedbooster rather than getting all new lenses. If you have no lenses to start with you can use the $650ish dollars that a SB would cost and put it towards a great MFT lens. Look at Panasonic and Mitakon Zhongyi to get started and then work your way up.

Just a suggestion

BMPCC6k - EVA1 - GH5 - Canon R - DaVinci Resolve Studio - Adobe CC - Sony Soundforge 11 - Izotope RX7 - Izotope Elements

Denny Smith

PostThu Feb 14, 2019 8:38 pm

Alex Schmied wrote:Thanks for all that good infos!
Hmm... not so easy to decide :ugeek:

So it seems to me, that its wiser to get the Nikon speedbooster, if i want to have more light and less crop or just to get some Olympus MFT lenses and live with problems while filming inside rooms.

By the way, i can not find the Olympus SW F/T 14-50 f/2.0 Zoom. Is there other lable in germany for that lense?

My bad, the 14-50 is a f/3.5-6.3 lens. The lens I have is the Olympus 14-35mm f/2 ED SWD Zuiko Digital, which is a Four Thirds (needs the Oly FT/MFT adapter) lens. Panasonic also made a Panny Leica 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5 ASPH MEGA OIS LEICA D VairoSonar Zoom, which is not parfocal and has some breathing issues, but makes a grand multi-focal length lens. I have one also for sale with the adapter, if interested.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Alex Schmied

PostThu Feb 14, 2019 8:52 pm

ok, thanks for correction!
i think 14mm will be to "low", i want to have 12mm or less... the question is, if its really possible so go under 12mm, without problems of black corners or distortion.

@Robert Baker:
your suggestion sounds good!
I think i will give a try for the native mft lenses for first.

The widest Mitakon Zhongy i found seems to be 25mm Speedmaster f0.95 (!)
But pff... 25mm?? these are about 60mm! Nice for some locations, but outside, or in really big rooms, or for close-ups.

I want to have something for small locations inside and then maby something like that Mitakon 25mm.

Olympus 12-40mm 2.8 should be a good guy. Or is it something better with less cost?

Dune00z

PostThu Feb 14, 2019 9:06 pm

I can offer a sort of advice from a different standpoint that is kind of fun.

I think that the most versatile of the 3 would be the Canon EF or Leica L versions. You can actually stack a Nikon F to EF or L adapter on top of the speedbooster so that you can use both EF and Nikon F mount lenses or Leica L and Nikon F lenses with only 1 speedbooster, so you get kind of like a 2 in 1. If the Nikon F lenses are fully manual, you should have no issue doing this. This opens you up to using a wide variety of lenses to choose from in both mounts. This is because the Nikon F mount has a longer flange than either the Canon EF or Leica L mounts. Because you generally can get manual iris control with many Nikon F lenses, you can usually get Nikon lens to mount with full functionality without electronic contacts.

I have done this before and it generally works fine as long as neither adapter has any play, so get good quality adapters (Metabones, novoflex, etc.) and give yourself time to return adapters that are even slightly off since you want to be sure they are machined correctly. You may have certain issues with maybe infinity focus, but I have never had issues stacking in this way that were notable at all.

I have never tried to do iris control with EF glass on Leica L mount with any adapters, but if that was possible through a daisy chained ef -> L adapter, L -> M43 Speedbooster, the Leica L would provide all 3 mount options available to you, and that would be amazing versatility.

Might seem weird to some of you to daisy chain like this but it is pretty exciting when you can double your lens selection that easily.

Robert Baker

PostThu Feb 14, 2019 11:06 pm

Dune00z wrote:I can offer a sort of advice from a different standpoint that is kind of fun.

I have never tried to do iris control with EF glass on Leica L mount with any adapters, but if that was possible through a daisy chained ef -> L adapter, L -> M43 Speedbooster, the Leica L would provide all 3 mount options available to you, and that would be amazing versatility.

Might seem weird to some of you to daisy chain like this but it is pretty exciting when you can double your lens selection that easily.

You, sir, are crazy! :lol:
In all the areas of my life I've been taught to avoid adapter on adapter crimes of that nature BUT the great thing about this life is you can use what works! My only concern would be getting the electronics to work but I'm guess you aren't phased by that so go ahead on!
:ugeek:

Denny Smith

PostFri Feb 15, 2019 1:14 am

For a wide MFT lens, SLR Magic and Voigtlander both make an excellent 10mm lens, the SLR being the Hyperprime, and SLR has a new Microprime series coming for MFT, which is released a 12mm and 18mm to start.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Alex Schmied

PostFri Feb 15, 2019 4:57 am

@Denny Smith:
thanks for that! I will search for them.

@Dune00z:
:D yess... it sounds rather funny with the Leica, but what i don't understand.
You say the one the versatile wohl be Canon EF and then write about Nikon F, which can be adapted to Canon EF. So do you mean that the versatile one is the Nikon F?

The thing is Leica ones are crazy expensive! 8-)

What is about SLR Magic 8mm f/4 for MFT?
I have a possibility to get it with a little scratsch on it for about 115,- Euro

And i see, there is a speedbooster from M43 to Minolta MD.
What is about that one?

rick.lang

PostFri Feb 15, 2019 5:19 am

SLR Magic 8mm at B&H Photo on sale new for $139.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1322738-REG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Alex Schmied

PostFri Feb 15, 2019 5:21 am

rick.lang wrote:SLR Magic 8mm at B&H Photo on sale new for $139.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1322738-REG

oh, ok... so its not a good price, where i found it :D
and seems not to be a special good lense.
thanks.

rick.lang

PostFri Feb 15, 2019 5:31 am

I don’t know why you’re saying it’s not a good lens. I thought if you were looking for an inexpensive lens that is a good performer, it might fit the requirements.

Personally I’d go for the SLR Magic 10mm versión that Denny mentioned. But it’s over $500 on sale now.

Rick Lang

Uli Plank

PostFri Feb 15, 2019 5:32 am

If you are researching into that range, the Laowa 7.5mm f2 seems to be an excellent lens for MFT.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

rick.lang

PostFri Feb 15, 2019 5:42 am

Yes, Uli’s suggestion is very good. And Ultra-light at $519.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1337243-REG

The 10mm I mentioned is a heavyweight in comparison but that can also mean more durable or better built. The 8mm (110g) and 7.5mm (150g) are very light for use on a smaller drone.

Rick Lang

Alex Schmied

PostFri Feb 15, 2019 5:54 am

i just wondered about the price and projected that on the quality... maby a mistake :)

thanks for the tip on laowa, i'll keep it in mind with the slr magic.

The thing i don't understand is, ultrawide lenses such as 7.5mm drag the image a little bit or even more than e little bit, just to get that wide angle. But if i use in on bmpcc with crop about 2,7. Is the image still draged a little bit or not?

Uli Plank

PostFri Feb 15, 2019 7:51 am

What do you mean by 'drag'? Wide-angle distortion? Every rectilinear ultrawide has that to some extent.

Is is less prominent on a smaller sensor at the same focal length? Yes.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Chris Whitten

PostFri Feb 15, 2019 1:23 pm

If you have a bmpcc (you mentioned above) and don't have any lenses other than Sony A mount - my advice would be to buy one or two m4/3rds lenses to get you going. Forget about adapters, especially speed boosters.
I have both Voigtlander and SLR Magic m4/rds and both are easy to use and great quality.
A lot of people get a lot done just using a Panasonic 12-35mm.
If the camera is new to you, just get a middle of the road lens that fits straight on and start practising, experimenting.
The SLR Magic 10mm is fine as a 'wide'.
Chris Whitten

Dune00z

PostFri Feb 15, 2019 6:51 pm

Alex Schmied wrote:@Denny Smith:
thanks for that! I will search for them.

@Dune00z:
:D yess... it sounds rather funny with the Leica, but what i don't understand.
You say the one the versatile wohl be Canon EF and then write about Nikon F, which can be adapted to Canon EF. So do you mean that the versatile one is the Nikon F?

The thing is Leica ones are crazy expensive! 8-)

What is about SLR Magic 8mm f/4 for MFT?
I have a possibility to get it with a little scratsch on it for about 115,- Euro

And i see, there is a speedbooster from M43 to Minolta MD.
What is about that one?

What I mean is that you can adapt Nikon F to either EF or Leica L. Because of that, you could technically get an EF or L to M43 speedbooster for the EF or L glass. Then, you can use a Nikon F to EF or Nikon F to L adapter and adapt that to the front of the EF or L speedbooster. Because Nikon F mount lenses are often capable of easy mechanical iris control and focus control, you should be able to use most Nikon F lenses with either an EF or L mount speedbooster without much of a problem.

Nikon F would be the longest flange so you would not be able to do this same daisy chain adaptation.

Alex Schmied

PostSat Feb 16, 2019 8:03 am

Uli Plank wrote:What do you mean by 'drag'? Wide-angle distortion? Every rectilinear ultrawide has that to some extent.

Is is less prominent on a smaller sensor at the same focal length? Yes.

that was my question, if its less prominent on smaller sensor as the bmpcc.
thanks!

@Chris Whitten: yes, this is my intend for now :)
i've got an old Fujinon-TV Zoom 14-84 1.6 with the used bmpcc, so i can start with that one and look for SLR magic in near future. But i still wait for my SD card coming from china :D its not so easy to get a 256GB card for this cam.

@Dune00z:
ah, ok. So you mean the canon EF would be a better choice, if i want to get some speedbooster later, because of the possibility to adapt nikon lenses on it.

Return to Cinematography