BMPCC4K start shipping

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

gbuster1a

  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:47 pm
  • Real Name: Jeffrey Cabello

Re: BMPCC4K start shipping

PostWed Feb 13, 2019 5:35 pm

silaradams wrote:
Jonathan Hardison wrote:
gbuster1a wrote:Ordered the BMPCC4K on Jan 7th from Adorama. Just received an email stating it is being shipped today!


This has me excited. I ordered on Jan 17th from Adorama. Hoping I'll see mine soon!


May not be. I just ordered my camera today, and called B&H and Adorama. B&H I was behind over 1,000 people, and at Adorama, the guy told me I was behind around 570 people. I decided to order from Tape Central in Columbus, Ohio. They had '0' people waiting, except for me now... :)


Wow. Funny, when I asked Adorama last week, they said they couldn't tell me my place in line. Is this camera going to put a lot more indie film makers on the scene? I wonder if Youtube will be flooded with short films made by the BMPCC4K?
Offline

SuperMario

  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:01 pm
  • Real Name: Mario Miscione

Re: BMPC4k Backorder - B&H - Any updates?

PostWed Feb 13, 2019 7:04 pm

Chris Shivers wrote:Remember it just not three places selling the pocket 4k, there are a lot of smaller places selling them too. And it’s first come first serve, so they are most likely waiting in que.


Yeah, I guess I just assumed a larger reseller would have more stock. I don't mind waiting, just want a sense of how long I'm going to have to wait...
Offline
User avatar

Rakesh Malik

  • Posts: 2474
  • Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:01 am
  • Location: Lynnwood, WA

Re: BMPC4k Backorder - B&H - Any updates?

PostWed Feb 13, 2019 7:27 pm

SuperMario wrote:Yeah, I guess I just assumed a larger reseller would have more stock. I don't mind waiting, just want a sense of how long I'm going to have to wait...


The larger resellers get more orders. I don't think anyone's been able to maintain much stock of this camera; they keep getting snapped up. :)
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Alienware M15 Hexacore + Radeon VII + Razer Core
HP Spectre x360 Kaby Lake-R
Offline

Colourberry

  • Posts: 123
  • Joined: Thu May 31, 2018 7:12 am
  • Real Name: Simon Bailey

Re: BMPCC4K start shipping

PostWed Feb 13, 2019 11:08 pm

If those numbers are true I think it's safe to say micro 4/3 will be around a while

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Offline

silaradams

  • Posts: 6
  • Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:41 am
  • Real Name: Jamie Adams

Re: BMPCC4K start shipping

PostWed Feb 13, 2019 11:11 pm

Colourberry wrote:If those numbers are true I think it's safe to say micro 4/3 will be around a while

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk


I don't think they would lie about the number of orders they told me.. If anything, that would discourage anyone from actually ordering from them. I was a bit shocked. I knew B&H and Adorama would have a backlog of orders, but I never realized it was that many.
Offline

Colourberry

  • Posts: 123
  • Joined: Thu May 31, 2018 7:12 am
  • Real Name: Simon Bailey

Re: BMPCC4K start shipping

PostThu Feb 14, 2019 12:02 am

This is going to be a huge boost so Davinci Resolve too. I think there was already a decent sized migration to Resolve going on but awareness of how good Resolve is will really increase after that many cameras with Resolve licenses get out there.

Loving Resolve is just a matter of using it and I cant picture someone buying the camera and not trying it.
Offline

John Brawley

  • Posts: 2019
  • Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:57 am
  • Location: Chicago Illinois

Re: BMPCC4K start shipping

PostThu Feb 14, 2019 12:10 am

silaradams wrote:
May not be. I just ordered my camera today, and called B&H and Adorama. B&H I was behind over 1,000 people, and at Adorama, the guy told me I was behind around 570 people. I decided to order from Tape Central in Columbus, Ohio. They had '0' people waiting, except for me now... :)



So let’s pretend that BMD ship 500 cameras to the US for January.

They send 300 cameras to BH, 150 to ardoma and the rest go to other US dealers that have done single digit orders.

300 BH photo customers that ordered in October get their cameras. 1 customer who ordered from a dealer in January who got two cameras gets their camera.

1 guys comes here and says yay I got my camera after 4 weeks !

700 BH photo customers get onto this forum to complain how BMD must have a manufacturing delay and some guy who finds a dealer that gets two cameras they ordered at the same time BH ordered their 1000 cameras for January and gets a camera before those that ordered earlier than they did from BH photo

See how this works ?

BMD don’t track which customer orders first. This is how the distribution works and why it seems so uneven.

JB

EDIT

I’d also say it’s hit and miss to believe any reported numbers from a dealer. They also have an interest in keeping that to themselves in light of above.
John Brawley
Cinematographer
Atlanta
Georgia
Offline

Colourberry

  • Posts: 123
  • Joined: Thu May 31, 2018 7:12 am
  • Real Name: Simon Bailey

Re: BMPCC4K start shipping

PostThu Feb 14, 2019 12:38 am

Absolutely agree. Somehow I've been position 6 at Dragon image for almost 5 months.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Offline

John Brawley

  • Posts: 2019
  • Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:57 am
  • Location: Chicago Illinois

Re: BMPCC4K start shipping

PostThu Feb 14, 2019 3:47 am

silaradams wrote: I knew B&H and Adorama would have a backlog of orders, but I never realized it was that many.


I think that BMD themselves have been overwhelmed by how popular this camera is. I think they've already shipped many units, it's just that there's so many back orders and more and more are jumping on....demand is actually going up.

JB
John Brawley
Cinematographer
Atlanta
Georgia
Offline

John Brawley

  • Posts: 2019
  • Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:57 am
  • Location: Chicago Illinois

Re: BMPC4k Backorder - B&H - Any updates?

PostThu Feb 14, 2019 3:48 am

SuperMario wrote:
Yeah, I guess I just assumed a larger reseller would have more stock. I don't mind waiting, just want a sense of how long I'm going to have to wait...


They do, but they also have much much longer pre-order lists.

JB
John Brawley
Cinematographer
Atlanta
Georgia
Offline
User avatar

Rakesh Malik

  • Posts: 2474
  • Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:01 am
  • Location: Lynnwood, WA

Re: BMPCC4K start shipping

PostThu Feb 14, 2019 4:13 am

John Brawley wrote:I think that BMD themselves have been overwhelmed by how popular this camera is. I think they've already shipped many units, it's just that there's so many back orders and more and more are jumping on....demand is actually going up.

JB


Probably because they're seeing it, and footage shot with it, and people talking about it...
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Alienware M15 Hexacore + Radeon VII + Razer Core
HP Spectre x360 Kaby Lake-R
Offline
User avatar

rick.lang

  • Posts: 10318
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:41 pm
  • Location: Victoria BC Canada

BMPCC4K start shipping

PostThu Feb 14, 2019 4:21 am

I also suspect many more waited in April until the camera was released in September and they could see sample footage online. Perhaps after BRAW is released for the BMPCC4K, there will be another uptick in orders. All of this waiting so people know announced features and anticipated features such as BRAW actually became delivered features.
Rick Lang
Offline
User avatar

Australian Image

  • Posts: 1292
  • Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:08 am
  • Real Name: Ray Pollanen

Re: BMPCC4K start shipping

PostThu Feb 14, 2019 4:25 am

rick.lang wrote:I also suspect many more waited in April until the camera was released in September and they could see sample footage online.


Quite likely. The negative comments that were flying around the internet after it was first revealed was amazing. Yes, there were good comments as well, but the negative ones perhaps increased after reviews started coming out. How some of the reviewers were selected still baffles me, they should have stuck to DSLR reviews and not cinema cameras.
https://australianimage.com.au/
Offline

Jim Giberti

  • Posts: 221
  • Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:03 am

Re: BMPCC4K start shipping

PostThu Feb 14, 2019 5:33 am

I've never pre-ordered a camera in my life and I've bought a lot of them for my small company over the years.

For a number of reasons, I believed Blackmagiic were going take things to another level regarding a small form factor camera with the new Pocket - and we really utilze small cameras with our model. So, I pre-ordered two from B&H literally minutes after Grant's presentation and got them in the first shipment.

Even with my expectations, I was amazed at how much they put into the P4K, feature-wize.
After a few months of producing with them, I continue to be blown away by how good an image they provide and how brilliant the interface is.

I'm not surprised at all that they're having difficulty keeping up with demand.
They deserve big ass kudos, not criticism.

But of course, I'd feel frustrated if I were waiting for mine.
Offline
User avatar

Rakesh Malik

  • Posts: 2474
  • Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:01 am
  • Location: Lynnwood, WA

Re: BMPCC4K start shipping

PostThu Feb 14, 2019 6:35 am

Australian Image wrote:Quite likely. The negative comments that were flying around the internet after it was first revealed was amazing. Yes, there were good comments as well, but the negative ones perhaps increased after reviews started coming out. How some of the reviewers were selected still baffles me, they should have stuck to DSLR reviews and not cinema cameras.


They probably got chosen based on their follower count. I don't think that most dSLR users will be able to make great use of a Pocket 4K. It's not designed for videography, it's designed for craftspeople. It will produce decent results if it's pointed at scenes lit by bozos, but excellent results with scenes lit by cinematographers.
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Alienware M15 Hexacore + Radeon VII + Razer Core
HP Spectre x360 Kaby Lake-R
Offline
User avatar

Robert Niessner

  • Posts: 2132
  • Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:51 am
  • Location: Graz, Austria

Re: BMPCC4K start shipping

PostThu Feb 14, 2019 8:26 am

Jim Giberti wrote:I've never pre-ordered a camera in my life and I've bought a lot of them for my small company over the years.

For a number of reasons, I believed Blackmagiic were going take things to another level regarding a small form factor camera with the new Pocket - and we really utilze small cameras with our model. So, I pre-ordered two from B&H literally minutes after Grant's presentation and got them in the first shipment.

Even with my expectations, I was amazed at how much they put into the P4K, feature-wize.
After a few months of producing with them, I continue to be blown away by how good an image they provide and how brilliant the interface is.

I'm not surprised at all that they're having difficulty keeping up with demand.
They deserve big ass kudos, not criticism.

But of course, I'd feel frustrated if I were waiting for mine.


Very well put, Jim.
Although I am guilty of having pre-ordered the first BMCC after it was announced because I had the feeling this camera would be a game changer at that price point - a promise that RED never delivered - they just priced their cameras higher and higher after the RED ONE.
So because of some initial problems with the BMCC I decided not rush and pre-order the UM46K. I only ordered it after firmware 4.0 with the new UI was introduced which was again a game changer in camera UIs. I had the same feeling like when I saw the first iPhone and how iOS worked.

And for the PCC4K I had enough confidence in BMD to pre-order it immediately while watching the presentation. Since I got the camera in October I've used it constantly in my productions and everyone is blown away how brilliant the resulting images are. My only regret is that I didn't pre-order two of them.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m
Offline

Chris Whitten

  • Posts: 417
  • Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:10 pm

Re: BMPCC4K start shipping

PostThu Feb 14, 2019 10:17 am

Rakesh Malik wrote:I don't think that most dSLR users will be able to make great use of a Pocket 4K. It's not designed for videography, it's designed for craftspeople. It will produce decent results if it's pointed at scenes lit by bozos, but excellent results with scenes lit by cinematographers.


It's both.
I am far from a cinematographer. I loved the original pocket for it's quality versus price.
Same with the P4K, which is even easier to use.
I mostly shoot on a photography tripod, with available light. Why would I pay more for a lesser codec by Panasonic or Sony?
I think the steep learning curve on the Pocket is often exaggerated.
Sure, I'm not making footage for Netflix, or for commercial clients with their strict standards, but I still value flexibility and quality and the Pocket 4K delivers on both...at a cheaper price than a lot of the lesser cameras.
Chris Whitten
Offline

Swissified

  • Posts: 127
  • Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:23 pm
  • Real Name: Stephen Butterworth

Re: BMPCC4K start shipping

PostThu Feb 14, 2019 11:02 am

Chris Whitten wrote:I think the steep learning curve on the Pocket is often exaggerated.
Sure, I'm not making footage for Netflix, or for commercial clients with their strict standards, but I still value flexibility and quality and the Pocket 4K delivers on both...at a cheaper price than a lot of the lesser cameras.


Chris, you make some very valid points here. I feel much the same about the 4K, even though I have yet to receive mine. That menu system looks the easiest I have ever seen (helped in no small measure by the large screen).
Offline
User avatar

rick.lang

  • Posts: 10318
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:41 pm
  • Location: Victoria BC Canada

Re: BMPCC4K start shipping

PostThu Feb 14, 2019 6:06 pm

Rakesh Malik wrote:They probably got chosen based on their follower count. I don't think that most dSLR users will be able to make great use of a Pocket 4K...


That must be true of some of those who may be making a living from reviewing gear. Yet we also had good material produced by some that I appreciated. I do think BMD will be more judicious in their selection of reviewers in the future.

They don’t have to be dyed-in-the-wool fanboys, but someone who will understand how to do good work with the features would be nice. When criticisms posted to YouTube show their ignorance of the camera’s capabilities, BMD must have cringed.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang
Offline

JordanMcgehee

  • Posts: 20
  • Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:18 pm

Re: BMPCC4K start shipping

PostFri Feb 15, 2019 5:38 pm

Here is a quote from B&H regarding my frustration with being in the dark about not knowing when my camera will ship:

"You recently completed a B&H Customer Service Satisfaction Survey and gave us valuable feedback concerning your shopping experience.
I am sorry about the delay with this order. We have been working diligently and persistently with the manufacturer for a delivery date for this item. Unfortunately, the manufacturer has been heavily back ordered and at each contact the delivery date has been moved. As of today, regretfully, we still have not received delivery information."

This tells me they have not been shipping units regularly to the retailers like Blackmagic has said. Anyone from Blackmagic care to comment?
Offline

Chris Shivers

  • Posts: 144
  • Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:12 am

Re: BMPCC4K start shipping

PostFri Feb 15, 2019 5:47 pm

Every store is on a first come first serve, there are way more than 1 or 2 stores selling the pocket 4k. As soon as B&H put in their order they are on a waiting que, until they’re are next up to receive their orders. That’s why I never ordered from b&h it was too many people ordering from them.
Offline

John Brawley

  • Posts: 2019
  • Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:57 am
  • Location: Chicago Illinois

Re: BMPCC4K start shipping

PostFri Feb 15, 2019 5:56 pm

JordanMcgehee wrote:
This tells me they have not been shipping units regularly to the retailers like Blackmagic has said. Anyone from Blackmagic care to comment?


viewtopic.php?f=2&t=79757&start=750#p477560

JB
John Brawley
Cinematographer
Atlanta
Georgia
Offline

JCStudios

  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: Thu May 03, 2018 3:31 pm
  • Real Name: James Cooperider

Pocket 4K Availability (mid-February)

PostSat Feb 16, 2019 9:03 pm

Hey, everyone. So, I'm curious... I have a 'pre-order' placed with B&H for the Pocket 4K. I placed it about four days ago and I wasn't sure about the turn times on the product and how long (roughly) I may have to wait. I've been talking with my local camera store who's a BMD dealer and they told me that the P4K is "incredibly backordered" and "don't expect to see it for (many) months." That said, I e-mailed B&H about expected delivery and they gave me almost no information. Basically, they 'know nothing' and couldn't help me.

So, with the out of the way, does anyone know any more information about B&H's status or general production information and, ultimately, if I should cancel my order with B&H and try somewhere smaller... or if I should just wait it out...
Offline
User avatar

rick.lang

  • Posts: 10318
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:41 pm
  • Location: Victoria BC Canada

Re: Pocket 4K Availability (mid-February)

PostSat Feb 16, 2019 9:38 pm

Your modus operandi of “shoot first, ask questions later” has been repeated here dozens of times. The answer remains the same, no one knows for sure so it’s your call. Read some more threads to get an idea of what you should do, but there’s no guarantee.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang
Offline

silaradams

  • Posts: 6
  • Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:41 am
  • Real Name: Jamie Adams

Re: Pocket 4K Availability (mid-February)

PostSat Feb 16, 2019 10:05 pm

JCStudios wrote:Hey, everyone. So, I'm curious... I have a 'pre-order' placed with B&H for the Pocket 4K. I placed it about four days ago and I wasn't sure about the turn times on the product and how long (roughly) I may have to wait. I've been talking with my local camera store who's a BMD dealer and they told me that the P4K is "incredibly backordered" and "don't expect to see it for (many) months." That said, I e-mailed B&H about expected delivery and they gave me almost no information. Basically, they 'know nothing' and couldn't help me.

So, with the out of the way, does anyone know any more information about B&H's status or general production information and, ultimately, if I should cancel my order with B&H and try somewhere smaller... or if I should just wait it out...


When I called B&H last week, I asked specifically how many people were on pre-order for the BMPCC4K at B&H. The guy was actually pretty helpful, but he said a little over 1,000.

What I did was go to BlackMagic's website on their resellers page and started calling each one to find who had the least amount of pre-orders. Found one and ordered it. I'm sure I'll be waiting a while, but hopefully not as long as some people at B&H.

You're best bet is to stay away from B&H and Adorama Camera as they both have the most pre-orders so you'll be waiting in line quite a long time. Adorama Camera had around 600 when I spoke with them last week.
Offline

Chris Shivers

  • Posts: 144
  • Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:12 am

Re: Pocket 4K Availability (mid-February)

PostSat Feb 16, 2019 10:34 pm

honestly if you want it quicker the best bet is to order from a smaller place. It took mnes 2 months to get to me. I stayed far away from B&H and Adorama.
Offline

JCStudios

  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: Thu May 03, 2018 3:31 pm
  • Real Name: James Cooperider

Re: Pocket 4K Availability (mid-February)

PostSat Feb 16, 2019 11:13 pm

silaradams wrote:
JCStudios wrote:Hey, everyone. So, I'm curious... I have a 'pre-order' placed with B&H for the Pocket 4K. I placed it about four days ago and I wasn't sure about the turn times on the product and how long (roughly) I may have to wait. I've been talking with my local camera store who's a BMD dealer and they told me that the P4K is "incredibly backordered" and "don't expect to see it for (many) months." That said, I e-mailed B&H about expected delivery and they gave me almost no information. Basically, they 'know nothing' and couldn't help me.

So, with the out of the way, does anyone know any more information about B&H's status or general production information and, ultimately, if I should cancel my order with B&H and try somewhere smaller... or if I should just wait it out...


When I called B&H last week, I asked specifically how many people were on pre-order for the BMPCC4K at B&H. The guy was actually pretty helpful, but he said a little over 1,000.

What I did was go to BlackMagic's website on their resellers page and started calling each one to find who had the least amount of pre-orders. Found one and ordered it. I'm sure I'll be waiting a while, but hopefully not as long as some people at B&H.

You're best bet is to stay away from B&H and Adorama Camera as they both have the most pre-orders so you'll be waiting in line quite a long time. Adorama Camera had around 600 when I spoke with them last week.


WOAH HAHA! 1,000...? THAT'S NUTS. Okay, okay - I'm going to cancel my order. I'll be in the grave before I see a P4K from B&H - guess I should've called them. My best bet may just be the local camera shop that I got my URSA from. I think they said their wait-list is around 10-15. Granted, they haven't gotten very many units, that's a far cry from 1,000. WOW. Thank you all so much for the information. This has been very helpful!
Offline

Colourberry

  • Posts: 123
  • Joined: Thu May 31, 2018 7:12 am
  • Real Name: Simon Bailey

Re: Pocket 4K Availability (mid-February)

PostSun Feb 17, 2019 12:42 am

Chris Shivers wrote:honestly if you want it quicker the best bet is to order from a smaller place. It took mnes 2 months to get to me. I stayed far away from B&H and Adorama.
I have to disagree with that logic. I ordered mine from a small store in Australia (home of blackmagic) in October. And I'm still waiting.

Meanwhile a guy reported here last week he ordered from adorama mid January and got his last week. How f#(@£d up is that.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Offline

Colourberry

  • Posts: 123
  • Joined: Thu May 31, 2018 7:12 am
  • Real Name: Simon Bailey

Re: BMPCC4K start shipping

PostSun Feb 17, 2019 3:27 am

Anyone received a camera from Dragon Image in Australia yet?
Offline

Chris Whitten

  • Posts: 417
  • Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:10 pm

Re: Pocket 4K Availability (mid-February)

PostSun Feb 17, 2019 10:57 am

By and large, the smaller stores are filling pre-orders quicker than the big retailers.
I don't think you should keep bringing countries into it, and 'the home of Blackmagic'. Your point was answered and explained in another thread.
Chris Whitten
Offline

Colourberry

  • Posts: 123
  • Joined: Thu May 31, 2018 7:12 am
  • Real Name: Simon Bailey

Re: Pocket 4K Availability (mid-February)

PostSun Feb 17, 2019 11:16 am

Chris Whitten wrote:By and large, the smaller stores are filling pre-orders quicker than the big retailers.
I don't think you should keep bringing countries into it, and 'the home of Blackmagic'. Your point was answered and explained in another thread.
My point was not answered at all. Do you think when Red release a new camera the US don't get first off the line?

That aside my point was shall shops are not being served quicker at all and adorama sent a camera within a month of an order in January.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Offline

Chris Whitten

  • Posts: 417
  • Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:10 pm

Re: Pocket 4K Availability (mid-February)

PostSun Feb 17, 2019 11:38 am

Someone with a long and close personal relationship with BM said no, they don't prioritise any country, let alone Australia. The cameras aren't even made in Australia.
It's frustrating for everyone.
I pre-ordered my Pocket 4K within 24 hours of the first announcement on the 10th April. I got it about a week before Christmas. A few people in November ordered from a smaller store in the USA and had their cameras a few weeks later, before me. It's frustrating.
I don't think bringing 'Australia First' or America First' attitudes into the forum helps.
Chris Whitten
Offline

Colourberry

  • Posts: 123
  • Joined: Thu May 31, 2018 7:12 am
  • Real Name: Simon Bailey

Re: Pocket 4K Availability (mid-February)

PostSun Feb 17, 2019 1:08 pm

Chris Whitten wrote:Someone with a long and close personal relationship with BM said no, they don't prioritise any country, let alone Australia. The cameras aren't even made in Australia.
It's frustrating for everyone.
I pre-ordered my Pocket 4K within 24 hours of the first announcement on the 10th April. I got it about a week before Christmas. A few people in November ordered from a smaller store in the USA and had their cameras a few weeks later, before me. It's frustrating.
I don't think bringing 'Australia First' or America First' attitudes into the forum helps.
I was told by a dealership last week that's in the same suburb as blackmagic in Melbourne that they actually were assembled in Melbourne but who to believe and what would it matter.

I will only believe what we are told by actual BM employees.

Either way what point is this forum thread. Not going to speed anything up but some communication would help us make decisions for our businesses.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Offline
User avatar

Australian Image

  • Posts: 1292
  • Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:08 am
  • Real Name: Ray Pollanen

Re: Pocket 4K Availability (mid-February)

PostSun Feb 17, 2019 7:51 pm

There's already a long thread on this, why have another one running?

BTW, I used to work in Port Melbourne near the technology park where we were involved with companies conducting various projects, and I can't see any way that the camera would be assembled in that location. There is a subsidiary or such of Blackmagic called New Magic, located at Port Melbourne, that handles all issues related to Blackmagic cameras for Australia.
https://australianimage.com.au/
Offline
User avatar

rick.lang

  • Posts: 10318
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:41 pm
  • Location: Victoria BC Canada

Re: Pocket 4K Availability (mid-February)

PostSun Feb 17, 2019 9:27 pm

Until we hear differently, the last time assembly was discussed a few years ago, I believe the conclusion was the cameras were assembled in Singapore and shipped from there.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang
Offline

Jim Giberti

  • Posts: 221
  • Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:03 am

Re: Pocket 4K Availability (mid-February)

PostSun Feb 17, 2019 9:48 pm

C'mon, (not you Rick) tea leaves and tarot cards. This is an informational site and a great resource. Why clog it with speculation and useless rumours?
Offline

Dprasch

  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:46 am
  • Real Name: Daniel prasch

Re: BMPCC4K start shipping

PostMon Feb 18, 2019 12:48 am

I ordered in January and was told today I will get it in the 2 week of April
Offline

Jaroslaw Frybes

  • Posts: 11
  • Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:12 am

Re: BMPCC4K start shipping

PostMon Feb 18, 2019 12:57 pm

If cameras are produced and sent regularly, why are official resellers in Poland saying that production has been halted. And some of them haven't received even one camera since the beginning of January.
There's something wrong with communication Blackmagic. I think it's time to look for an alternative solution.
Offline
User avatar

Robert Niessner

  • Posts: 2132
  • Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:51 am
  • Location: Graz, Austria

Re: BMPCC4K start shipping

PostMon Feb 18, 2019 1:05 pm

Jaroslaw Frybes wrote:If cameras are produced and sent regularly, why are official resellers in Poland saying that production has been halted. And some of them haven't received even one camera since the beginning of January.
There's something wrong with communication Blackmagic. I think it's time to look for an alternative solution.


Official resellers are often telling customers just rumors to make them shut off asking questions all the time over and over again. They don't like to say "I don't know" and it is easier to tell the customer that there is a production problem/halt.

This is the official word direct out of someones keyboard who should know what is going on - because he is the product manager and father of the PCC4k:

Kristian Lam wrote:Hey guys,

Take it easy. :)

Production ebbs and flows depending on parts availability and factory closures due to holidays etc. There is NO deliberate production halt. The camera is quite popular and we're building as fast as we can.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m
Offline

Colourberry

  • Posts: 123
  • Joined: Thu May 31, 2018 7:12 am
  • Real Name: Simon Bailey

Re: BMPCC4K start shipping

PostMon Feb 18, 2019 1:26 pm

Jaroslaw Frybes wrote:If cameras are produced and sent regularly, why are official resellers in Poland saying that production has been halted. And some of them haven't received even one camera since the beginning of January.
There's something wrong with communication Blackmagic. I think it's time to look for an alternative solution.
I was told the exact same thing in Bangkok and Australia.

Plus the other reports of the same thing here it's not a rumour.

Repeating myself now but the rate that Dragon image were receiving the camera they expected it mine to arrive early Jan and and then suddenly they said April. They had been told April.

EVERYWHERE has been told April.

And Bangkok said April too.

So if there was no stoppage why does everywhere report April now? What's magical about April

I'm over it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Offline

Swissified

  • Posts: 127
  • Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:23 pm
  • Real Name: Stephen Butterworth

Re: BMPCC4K start shipping

PostMon Feb 18, 2019 3:58 pm

Colourberry wrote:
Jaroslaw Frybes wrote:What's magical about April Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk


April fool's day?
Offline

MScDre

  • Posts: 83
  • Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:31 pm
  • Real Name: Andrea Domenichini

Re: BMPCC4K start shipping

PostMon Feb 18, 2019 4:45 pm

Just spoke to 3D Broadcast and they have received 1 so far this year, the rep seemed to "know" that 12 have been received in the UK total (as in 12 units entered the country) this calendar year (not counting ones stuck in transit over Xmas) and that Holden the UK distributor for BM has told all of the companies selling units to customers not to expect any more until March.
Offline

Denny Smith

  • Posts: 10283
  • Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:19 pm
  • Location: USA, Northern Calif.

Re: BMPCC4K start shipping

PostMon Feb 18, 2019 6:07 pm

Simple, they are building cameras in Jan/Feb, then shipping them in March. BM seems to do their cameras in “batches” then ship them out, once they get a full container. They apparently do not send them out in ones or even by the dozen.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions
Offline
User avatar

Rakesh Malik

  • Posts: 2474
  • Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:01 am
  • Location: Lynnwood, WA

Re: BMPCC4K start shipping

PostMon Feb 18, 2019 6:18 pm

Colourberry wrote:So if there was no stoppage why does everywhere report April now? What's magical about April


They're probably just trying to push their customers toward stuff they can sell immediately and are getting tired of people wanting something they can't sell, and aren't getting much information from BMD.

It's likely that BMD is sending its cameras out in batches because it's sending them to distributors by boat; keep in mind that the price tag leads to some pretty thin margins, so BMD is probably streamlining whatever it can... and it's normal for a production run to get sent out as a batch on a single shipment. A *lot* of companies do that... have their manufacturing partners run out a batch, stuff the batch in crates, ship the crates overseas (it's efficient, reliable, and economical).

Sure, FedEx is also efficient and reliable, and a lot faster... but also a lot more expensive.

You want a $5000 camera for $1300 with a free copy of the dominant color grading solution + a free professional VFX, NLE, and DAW solution?
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Alienware M15 Hexacore + Radeon VII + Razer Core
HP Spectre x360 Kaby Lake-R
Offline
User avatar

Rakesh Malik

  • Posts: 2474
  • Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:01 am
  • Location: Lynnwood, WA

Re: Pocket 4K Availability (mid-February)

PostMon Feb 18, 2019 6:33 pm

Colourberry wrote:My point was not answered at all. Do you think when Red release a new camera the US don't get first off the line?


Red doesn't ship through distributors. I know that when I was waiting for mine, people all over the world were getting cameras ahead of me because they had ordered before me.

The reason that the very big companies like Sony and Panasonic and Canon get around this is that they put their production runs into the distribution channel early enough to get them onto shelves before the release date. These are much bigger companies. People who want cameras from smaller companies like Red and Black Magic get more for the money, but the down side is that we also have to wait longer.
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Alienware M15 Hexacore + Radeon VII + Razer Core
HP Spectre x360 Kaby Lake-R
Offline
User avatar

rick.lang

  • Posts: 10318
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:41 pm
  • Location: Victoria BC Canada

Re: Pocket 4K Availability (mid-February)

PostTue Feb 19, 2019 2:22 am

And that “more money” spent on Canon often still only gets you 4:2:0 8bit video internal recording like my ancient HV20.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang
Offline

Denny Smith

  • Posts: 10283
  • Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:19 pm
  • Location: USA, Northern Calif.

Re: Pocket 4K Availability (mid-February)

PostTue Feb 19, 2019 5:46 am

Yes, Canon and Sony lower end cameras are limited by design, so if you want 4.2.2 10-bit, yiuo”Pay” for it.
Nikon on the other hand released their Z6/7 with 4.2.2 10-bit output in either Video (Rec 709) or Log out to record externally. BMD and Oanasonic gives us 10-bit 4.2.2 internal recording wiht BMD adding Raw internal recording to the mix.

So sometimes you can get more than you pay for. :roll:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions
Offline
User avatar

Robert Niessner

  • Posts: 2132
  • Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:51 am
  • Location: Graz, Austria

Re: Pocket 4K Availability (mid-February)

PostTue Feb 19, 2019 12:54 pm

rick.lang wrote:And that “more money” spent on Canon often still only gets you 4:2:0 8bit video internal recording like my ancient HV20.


Or with the latest Canon XF705 you get a codec which you can't edit in Premiere Pro and a future update will bring older, compatible codecs but with more restrictions. And the camera was introduced in September 2018, is officially available since January 2019, and still has to be pre-ordered with no date of delivery. And yet people complain about BMD...
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m
Offline

Chris Whitten

  • Posts: 417
  • Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:10 pm

Re: Pocket 4K Availability (mid-February)

PostTue Feb 19, 2019 1:08 pm

While I'm a BMD fan, the delivery of product does come across as rather haphazard.
While I complete understand how it happens, for someone to order a Pocket 4K in November and get it a couple of weeks later, while other people who ordered in April are still waiting, makes BMD look bad IMO.
They already had the experience of the original Pocket, how very popular that was. Also, they had a grace period of early April to end of September when they were not scheduled to deliver any product, but could see how many Pocket 4K orders they had received over the Spring and Summer.
To say they might have been surprised seems either weird, or bad management.
I don't want to seem too critical.
I'm also not a businessman, but two adjustments might or might not be possible.
1) Delay new product announcements until closer to the availability of the product.
Many music instrument makers do this. Sometimes the product is immediately available, and the initial excitement of the announcement drives extra sales. Sometimes the product is available in a few weeks.
2) Prioritise a main dealer network. This doesn't exclude small bricks and mortar stores, but at least BMD's biggest customers (like B&H, Adorama, CVP etc) know they can supply demand a little ahead of the stores that order five BMPCC4K's. That seems to make financial sense to me, support the main stores that drive bread and butter sales.
Chris Whitten
Offline

Pete Tomkies

  • Posts: 84
  • Joined: Thu May 14, 2015 9:22 am

Re: Pocket 4K Availability (mid-February)

PostTue Feb 19, 2019 1:29 pm

Chris Whitten wrote:Also, they had a grace period of early April to end of September when they were not scheduled to deliver any product, but could see how many Pocket 4K orders they had received over the Spring and Summer.

That wasn't a grace period. The camera that was announced at NAB (?) in April 2018 was very much a prototype. The period between April and release date in September was spent finishing the product design. Scaling up of manufacture didn't really begin until the camera was released.

It's important to remember that Blackmagic is a small company and I doubt it has the financial resources to manufacture tens of thousands of cameras in advance of a release date (and so in advance of any cash coming in!). So many companies that fold do so with full orders books - it's cash flow that will kill you.
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dan Keeble, Google [Bot] and 11 guests