Cameras and Comm only?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

ObiJuanKenobi

Cameras and Comm only?

PostThu Feb 14, 2019 6:55 pm

I am a high school teacher who started a broadcast journalism class this year. I am interested in the the Blackmagic Studio Cameras because of the built in fiber and Comm system. I want to purchase three of the cameras and use the intercom. My question is can I use these two functions and still utilize my current wirecast setup (and what would I need to make this work? From what I have read, the cameras and an atem would let me do this. Is that true or do i need something special to utilize fiber? I want to eventually do a full Black Magic Studio build out but can't afford it all at once. My thought is I would start with cameras since they include so many other functions and are the best bang for my buck. Thanks for any help you can offer!

Xtreemtec

Re: Cameras and Comm only?

PostThu Feb 14, 2019 8:44 pm

Well Comms will work, But not in loud enviroments. The headphone amps are not that heavy.

For you to run the fiber and com's you will need the Atem Studio converter.
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/atemconverters/techspecs/W-ATC-02

And connect it like this:

But problem is that without an Atem, you have no CCU control and no tally either. :cry:
And the Studio converter cost $1995
But if you buy 4x MiniConvert Optical to 12G 4x $155 = $620 dollar
And you buy an Atem TVS HD / TVS HD PRO / TVS 4K PRO you have build in intercom, run 2 sdi lines from each fiber converter to the atem in and out. And you have 4 cameras that have CCU, Intercom, Tally and you basically have the Atem for free.. ( If you normally would buy the Atem Studio Converter to do Comm's and fiber conversion. ) ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

ObiJuanKenobi

PostFri Feb 15, 2019 10:22 pm

So could I just go cameras > talkback converter and sdi out to a different broadcast software like wirecast? Or is the 1M/E required? My main concern is making it so I can utilize the fiber for long runs and the comms over that fiber. I have wirecast so If i can come out of the talkback converter into my current system that would be great.

roger.suski

PostFri Feb 15, 2019 10:55 pm

What is your end goal in building this out? Looking to provide a newscast setting for your students? If that's the case, I'm not sure I'd get hard operated cameras. Most newsrooms are automated now and have all their cameras mounted on PTZ heads, some with robotic peds. Have a look at the midrange Panasonic and Sony offerings. The Pannys are interesting that they have NDI built in, which would work well with your Wirecast setup.

ObiJuanKenobi

PostFri Feb 15, 2019 11:29 pm

We do have one setup for a studio but this particular setup is for mobile. We do alot of sports and events like plays and other performances. I would love to eventually have PTZ controlled cameras, but I just dont have the budget to do it all right now. Maybe down the line i could do that

Xtreemtec

PostSat Feb 16, 2019 5:45 pm

With the Talkback converter you have the tools to get the Comms and SDi video distributed and switch by Wirecast.

What i tried to explain is that it is cheaper to buy a Atem TVS HD with a few fiber converters then a talkback converter. ;) You still have comms and SDI fiber link. But you also get Tally and CCU control to pull the cameras level with each other..
And then send PGM out to wirecast for overlays, streaming, recording. etc. :D

But that is up to you. ;)
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Denny Smith

PostSat Feb 16, 2019 6:41 pm

I second Daniel’s recommendation, the ATEM HD is only $995, and gives more options for your money. You will however, need a laptop or other computer to run the ATEM control software.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Xtreemtec

PostTue Feb 19, 2019 1:35 pm

Denny Smith wrote:You will however, need a laptop or other computer to run the ATEM control software.

Which he already has for Wirecast. ;) So i see no problems there. :D

Denny Smith

PostTue Feb 19, 2019 8:04 pm

Me either, if the Laptop can do both at the same time.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

ObiJuanKenobi

PostThu Feb 21, 2019 8:49 pm

Thank you all for your advice... definitely something I will need to look into and make a decision. I appreciate the feedback!

Brian Nicola

PostThu May 30, 2019 2:31 am

Have Wirecast Gear 210 that is partnered with BlackMagic equipment (ATEM 4k Talkback, BM Studio Cameras, Microconverters). I have cameras coming into the Wirecast via 3gSDI, but I need to take the WC HDMI output and loop back into the BlackMagic 4k Talkback (this will send the program output back to the cameras and piggyback the director's talkback on the video).

HERE'S THE PROBLEM: the HDMI WC output needs to convert to SDI to go into the Blackmagic Talkback. I am using a BM HDMI to SDI converter. The director's voice, without the video signal to piggyback, is intermittent and prone t failure. I can't get the signal to change from HDMI to SDI...It shows no viable signal. Have tried switching A-->B. Nothing. Been piddling with it for weeks.

Evan Daum

PostFri May 31, 2019 4:26 pm

"events like plays and other performances"

Another thing to remember is the BM cameras have very limited lensing options, and need a LOT of light, so they will not be good for theater lighting.

Evan Daum

PostFri May 31, 2019 4:29 pm

"I am interested in the the Blackmagic Studio Cameras because of the built in fiber and Comm system"

While these features are enticing, don't overlook the massive shortcomings of the cameras themselves, it's like buying a car because of the great stereo and heated seats, but it can only go 45mph max. ;-)

Denny Smith

PostSat Jun 01, 2019 5:36 pm

True, but for a school teaching studio where the lighting can be controlled, even with limited lenses, which are getting added to every year, they should work fine on a teaching/ school situation. Panasonic is releasing a new Panna/Leica WA fast Zoom, the 10-25 f/1.7, which looks very promising for a small studio setup. But it will be pricey to start at $1800. While not as fast, I have used the Panna/Leica 12-60mm f/2.8-4.5 Zoom in our small TV Studio on the Micro Studio Camera, (set to ISO400), worked well, shooting at 14-16mm at f/3.5.

The new zoom will have a step-less iris like the 12-60, super fast focus motor (240fps), paired with a real manual focus clutch, to get repeatable manual focus pulls. Not sure if it is parfocal, as no info given on this yet. But it looks like a possible new replacement for the grand Oly 14-35 f/1.4 WA zoom, but with a longer zoom range.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Live Production