Sony Cine Alta Primes

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

emhoward

Sony Cine Alta Primes

PostFri Feb 15, 2019 4:32 am

I know this is a long shot, but does anyone here have experience with the Sony Cinealta Primes lenses -- this would be version 1 of the lenses. I bought the lens believing that a simple PL mount to MFT mount adapter would do the trick, turns out although this lens has a PL mount there's some differences between these lenses and most PL mounts...but I also know that it's possible to mount the lenses on non-Sony bodies because others have done so.

Was wondering if anyone had an first hand experience with these lenses on any Blackmagic camera and what adapter you used to make it fit

Doing a forum search turned up some information about version 2 of this lens, but not much on version 1. Version one is thought to be the cheaper one with plastic housing, although nice optics.

Denny Smith

Re: Sony Cine Alta Primes

PostFri Feb 15, 2019 11:52 pm

You need a good Pro-style PL/MFT adapter that can be shimmed, like the Wooden Camera MFT PL Pro or a Metabones MFT/PL adapter. Both work great. If you like, I have prototype PL to MFT adapter that has a helix adjustment you turn to set the FFD like adjusting the back focus, yours for $25 plus shipping.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Uli Plank

PostSat Feb 16, 2019 12:49 am

The first version had awful tolerances in the mounts, make sure to try with your adapter before you buy. Optically they are OK, on a similar level like Red Pro Primes were, or like Uniq.
The second generation is quite good for the price.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

emhoward

PostSat Feb 16, 2019 7:03 am

Appreciate the reply guys, you've been helpful. Denny I'll PM you about more info.

Valery Axenov

PostSat Feb 16, 2019 3:33 pm

My opinion it is better to have one good (in tech. specification +/-0,01mm) PL/MTF adapter for your lens line. Each lens in this case should be collimated to specification. It's possible to open mount of the lens and correct it. It's not a big deal for technically minded person.

ps What happened with lens production? I cann't imagine any of (let say) pro Canon FD lens out of mount specification. (??). I have seen adaptation of Zeiss Contax G 35mm lenses blocks to cine type body. It may be much better pro cine optical quality far from 4K Sony.

Return to Cinematography