How to change the timeline framerate after editing is done

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

Vit Reiter

  • Posts: 272
  • Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:36 pm

Re: How to change the timeline framerate after editing is do

PostThu Feb 14, 2019 2:30 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:Tell me scenario when you need to switch fps after half/all of the editing is done?

Do not you really mind you? I do this every day.

For example, when movies from Africa have to be prepared for distribution in North America.

The source material has a different frame rate than the exported material - most often conversions between 25 fps and 23,976 respectively 24 fps. The source material is edited in the source frame rate, but the export requires a different frame rate, sometimes even more different frame rates.

DaVinci is very uncomfortable for these cases.
DaVinci Resolve 16.0b6 Studio, Fusion 16.0b6 Studio
macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
Mac Pro 2013,
AMD FirePro D700 Graphics, 64 GB RAM

Film Editor, Colorist, VFX and Motion Graphic Designer, DIT, Encoding technician
linkedin.com/in/vít-reiter-film-editor
Offline

Tero Ahlfors

  • Posts: 434
  • Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:02 pm

Re: How to change the timeline framerate after editing is do

PostThu Feb 14, 2019 2:49 pm

Those kinds of conversions shouldn't be done on export as it can give all kinds of weird and nasty artifacts whether it'll be frame dropping/doubling or motion interpolation.
Offline

Vit Reiter

  • Posts: 272
  • Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:36 pm

Re: How to change the timeline framerate after editing is do

PostThu Feb 14, 2019 4:15 pm

Tero Ahlfors wrote:Those kinds of conversions shouldn't be done on export as it can give all kinds of weird and nasty artifacts whether it'll be frame dropping/doubling or motion interpolation.

You're wrong, Tero. Those kinds of conversions could be done without issues or motion interpolation.
Of course you have to understand how the software you are using works.
DaVinci Resolve 16.0b6 Studio, Fusion 16.0b6 Studio
macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
Mac Pro 2013,
AMD FirePro D700 Graphics, 64 GB RAM

Film Editor, Colorist, VFX and Motion Graphic Designer, DIT, Encoding technician
linkedin.com/in/vít-reiter-film-editor
Offline

Andrew Kolakowski

  • Posts: 5413
  • Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:20 am

Re: How to change the timeline framerate after editing is do

PostThu Feb 14, 2019 4:45 pm

Well between 23.976p, 24p and 25p you can just change speed and it works in most cases (except music content where client doesn't agree for speed change).

I would love to see your result for 25p going to 29.97p which is done through that amazing NLE (whatever it's) :D
Without proper fps conversion there is nothing what can done in this case and NLE's ability to be able to switch fps has not much to do with it. Basically every NLE out there in such a case will produce garbage (I sometimes receive such a masters, but they always get rejected).

I'm not sure where you deliver to, but most major broadcasters in Europe or USA will reject any file which is done they way you mentioned- "just change fps in NLE". They all require either speed change where possible or proper motion adaptive interpolation (sometimes advanced pulldown will do as well).

There are some case where it could work, but definitely not for every possible source fps vs. delivery fps.
Offline

Vit Reiter

  • Posts: 272
  • Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:36 pm

Re: How to change the timeline framerate after editing is do

PostThu Feb 14, 2019 6:19 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:Well between 23.976p, 24p and 25p you can just change speed and it works in most cases (except music content where client doesn't agree for speed change).

I would love to see your result for 25p going to 29.97p which is done through that amazing NLE (whatever it's) :D
Without proper fps conversion there is nothing what can done in this case and NLE's ability to be able to switch fps has not much to do with it. Basically every NLE out there in such a case will produce garbage (I sometimes receive such a masters, but they always get rejected).

I'm not sure where you deliver to, but most major broadcasters in Europe or USA will reject any file which is done they way you mentioned- "just change fps in NLE". They all require either speed change where possible or proper motion adaptive interpolation (sometimes advanced pulldown will do as well).

There are some case where it could work, but definitely not for every possible source fps vs. delivery fps.

Hmm, I can not speak English well, so you probably do not understand what I'm talking about.

A simple example:

- source video is 25 fps
- put video to timeline, make edit (for example add black frames at the beginning and at the end)
- now I need export in 23.976 fps

I'd like to go to Delivery page, set frame rate to 23.976 and set motion interpolation to "render frames at output rate". I'm talking only about video not sound, of course. DaVinci doesn't make audio time stretching well. I have to use external software like Time Factory 2 or iZotope Radius.

What is wrong on this way convert 25 fps to 23.976?
Why DaVinci can not add an option for all frame rates to export the video?

I know how to do it but this simple process is quite complicated in DaVinci.

PS: I am delivering to EU nation TVs, VOD platforms (iTunes, Google Play, Amazon, etc.), cinemas, etc.
DaVinci Resolve 16.0b6 Studio, Fusion 16.0b6 Studio
macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
Mac Pro 2013,
AMD FirePro D700 Graphics, 64 GB RAM

Film Editor, Colorist, VFX and Motion Graphic Designer, DIT, Encoding technician
linkedin.com/in/vít-reiter-film-editor
Offline
User avatar

Jean Claude

  • Posts: 2543
  • Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:41 pm
  • Location: France

Re: How to change the timeline framerate after editing is do

PostThu Feb 14, 2019 6:29 pm

Vit Reiter wrote:.../..Why DaVinci can not add an option for all frame rates to export the video?.../..


Hello Vit,

Which NLE have you ever used for this? Thank you. :)
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Offline

Andrew Kolakowski

  • Posts: 5413
  • Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:20 am

Re: How to change the timeline framerate after editing is do

PostThu Feb 14, 2019 6:49 pm

Vit Reiter wrote:Hmm, I can not speak English well, so you probably do not understand what I'm talking about.

A simple example:

- source video is 25 fps
- put video to timeline, make edit (for example add black frames at the beginning and at the end)
- now I need export in 23.976 fps

I'd like to go to Delivery page, set frame rate to 23.976 and set motion interpolation to "render frames at output rate". I'm talking only about video not sound, of course. DaVinci doesn't make audio time stretching well. I have to use external software like Time Factory 2 or iZotope Radius.

What is wrong on this way convert 25 fps to 23.976?
Why DaVinci can not add an option for all frame rates to export the video?
.


And what happens in this case. How you avoid different fps between source and destination?
I assume you want original frames to be used and everything to be slowed down?
And you also process audio separately and then join them?
You may as well take your main 25p master, interpret in Resolve as 23.976p, add your 23.976p synced audio and export final 23.976p master. If you process audio separately then I don't see much of a time waste.

Yes, in Premiere you could take your 25p timeline, assume it rate as 23.976p, insert into 23.976p new timeline and export. Premiere does audio speed adjust automatically. All can be also done in 1 project. This may be useful, but it's not that big deal (specially when you want to process audio externally).
Resolve NLE's capabilities are still developing, so maybe it will change at some point.
Offline

Uli Plank

  • Posts: 4645
  • Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:48 am

Re: How to change the timeline framerate after editing is do

PostFri Feb 15, 2019 1:39 am

Well, Resolve has the necessary algorithms, but they are not yet offered on export. Until then, it's either conforming the clips to the target rate right from the start and work in the correct timeline, or export the original frame rate and import the rendered file for a round of optical flow treatment.
Resolve Studio and Fusion Studio
iMac 2017 Radeon Pro 580 8 GB VRAM and 32 GB RAM
Offline
User avatar

waltervolpatto

  • Posts: 6910
  • Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:07 pm
  • Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

Re: How to change the timeline framerate after editing is do

PostFri Feb 15, 2019 4:06 am

Marc Wielage wrote:
GrizzlyAK wrote:Agreed, both are limitations, as seen by someone coming from Premiere Pro. I would love to know WHY this is not changeable in Resolve.

I'll give you my opinion: timecode is one of the corner "underpinnings" for the entire Resolve database, in that everything -- pixel size, color, position, etc. -- all hinges on frame-by-frame advancement of timecode. If you change this, every single aspect -- color dissolves, power window shifts, image repositions, speed ramps/changes, keyframes -- now also must change. As it is, I think it's a miracle that Resolve can work independently in terms of resolution, which is no small feat. To expect it to also do this for framerate is very, very difficult.

You could say it's like being on a railroad train, and somebody decides to change the tracks underneath you while the train is running. I say that's dangerous. You basically have to make the decision on what framerate (what kind of tracks) on which you're going to be traveling before you fire up the engine and start moving forward. If you don't do that... there's a good chance the train will come off the tracks.

If you can't accept that, no problem -- move on to one of the many competing programs out there, and may the timecode gods be with you. But I honestly think there are moments in life where you have to worry more about the things you CAN change than waste time worrying about the things you CAN'T change. Resolve project framerate is one of them.


Yes, but....

Tell me based on the above post, between 23.98 and 24.00, what exactly are you going to break?
SuperServer 5039AD-I
C9X299-PGF - DDR4-2400 16x4 GB
i9-7920xCPU 12c 2.90GHz Water cooled
2x GTX 1080ti DeckLink Studio 4K
Window10 - Resolve Studio 16.0.0B.040
nvidia: 430.86 studio
Offline

Vit Reiter

  • Posts: 272
  • Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:36 pm

Re: How to change the timeline framerate after editing is do

PostFri Feb 15, 2019 10:12 am

Jean Claude wrote:
Vit Reiter wrote:.../..Why DaVinci can not add an option for all frame rates to export the video?.../..


Hello Vit,

Which NLE have you ever used for this? Thank you. :)

Is it ironic or do you really need to advise?
DaVinci Resolve 16.0b6 Studio, Fusion 16.0b6 Studio
macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
Mac Pro 2013,
AMD FirePro D700 Graphics, 64 GB RAM

Film Editor, Colorist, VFX and Motion Graphic Designer, DIT, Encoding technician
linkedin.com/in/vít-reiter-film-editor
Offline

Vit Reiter

  • Posts: 272
  • Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:36 pm

Re: How to change the timeline framerate after editing is do

PostFri Feb 15, 2019 12:07 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:And what happens in this case. How you avoid different fps between source and destination?
Maybe I don't understand well. Video has only one fps during the whole duration of movie.
I assume you want original frames to be used and everything to be slowed down?
Yes, of course. 25 fps interpreted like 23.976 has slower playback. I don't know a better way to sync videos with close captions, and close captions are mandatory in the US.
And you also process audio separately and then join them?
You may as well take your main 25p master, interpret in Resolve as 23.976p, add your 23.976p synced audio and export final 23.976p master. If you process audio separately then I don't see much of a time waste.
Then You have to create two project in DaVinci. One for 25 fps and second for 23.976. And I'm just writing about it! I did not have to create two projects per film if it was possible to choose any frame rate in the export.
Often it happens that you produce a movie in multiple versions, trailer are with different fps, teasers have different language mutations or graphics, etc. I have a dream of having all the material in one single project :P
DaVinci Resolve 16.0b6 Studio, Fusion 16.0b6 Studio
macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
Mac Pro 2013,
AMD FirePro D700 Graphics, 64 GB RAM

Film Editor, Colorist, VFX and Motion Graphic Designer, DIT, Encoding technician
linkedin.com/in/vít-reiter-film-editor
Offline

Andrew Kolakowski

  • Posts: 5413
  • Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:20 am

Re: How to change the timeline framerate after editing is do

PostFri Feb 15, 2019 2:30 pm

Exactly, source has 1 fps and this is why your idea of multiple destination fps is problematic.
Lets say your source is 29.97p and I need 25p/50i master. You can't just slow it down as in case of 24<->25. What you want your NLE to do in this case?

There are some cases where you can quite 'easily' convert between two different fps, but in the same time there are many cases where you need complex motion adaptive engine. It's fairly complex subject and you need to have many rules in your export engine to cope with all possible scenarios.
There is no single NLE which is so clever. In most cases you end up with frame blending or artefacts of motion adaptive engine. This is why typically you produce 1 main master at native source fps and from this other versions using chosen technique: speed up, pulldown, motion adaptive, etc and tool made for this, Tachyon, Snell etc.

When you talk about it then it sounds so easy where in reality it's very complex. What can be done is set of allowed changes (not between any to any fps), like we have 32 pulldown activated in case of 23.976p timeline. Then you can for example for 25p timeline have options like:
-speed change to 24p or 23.976p
-advanced pulldown to 59.94i
-motion adaptive to xx fps
This can be done but it definitely requires quite a lot of work.
Offline

Krishna Pada

  • Posts: 156
  • Joined: Tue May 17, 2016 5:55 pm

Re: How to change the timeline framerate after editing is do

PostSat Feb 16, 2019 4:49 am

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:
Tell me scenario when you need to switch fps after half/all of the editing is done?



One scenario is when the buyer/ client wants two versions of their finished stuff (normally songs/ ads) both in 24 fps as well as in 25 fps. One version to run as trailers in cinema halls, the other to go for TV broadcast.
FILMWALLAH.
Resolve Studio. Mac Pro 5.1 12 core, 64 GB Ram, Titan X, 1 TB SSD System drive, 500 GB Resolve Cache, 12TB Internal Raid, Sierra
Red S-W, 5D Mark IV, A7s2
Zeiss CP.3 15, 25, 50, 85. Zeiss Contax 25, 35, 50, 85, 135. Rokinon 14, 24, 35, 50, 85
Offline
User avatar

Marc Wielage

  • Posts: 5691
  • Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:46 am
  • Location: Hollywood, USA

Re: How to change the timeline framerate after editing is do

PostSat Feb 16, 2019 5:33 am

Krishna Pada wrote:One scenario is when the buyer/ client wants two versions of their finished stuff (normally songs/ ads) both in 24 fps as well as in 25 fps. One version to run as trailers in cinema halls, the other to go for TV broadcast.

I would render out the entire 24.00fps version, take a high-quality output (like ProRes 444XQ or DPX files), start a new 25.00fps session, bring in the file or sequence, and change the native frame rate to the timeline frame rate. It'll now run 4% faster -- which would happen anyway -- but there will be no other artifacts.

Sound still has to be sped up 4%, so it's your choice to do pitch correction or not.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood
Offline

Andrew Kolakowski

  • Posts: 5413
  • Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:20 am

Re: How to change the timeline framerate after editing is do

PostSat Feb 16, 2019 10:13 am

Krishna Pada wrote:
Andrew Kolakowski wrote:
Tell me scenario when you need to switch fps after half/all of the editing is done?



One scenario is when the buyer/ client wants two versions of their finished stuff (normally songs/ ads) both in 24 fps as well as in 25 fps. One version to run as trailers in cinema halls, the other to go for TV broadcast.


Finish in native fps and then just assume 25p end export.
As I said- this can be implemented in the way so it's very easy and fast, but it's quite a big task when you want to do it well.
Offline
User avatar

waltervolpatto

  • Posts: 6910
  • Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:07 pm
  • Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

Re: How to change the timeline framerate after editing is do

PostSun Feb 17, 2019 12:15 am

One goddam scenario is what we have to deal in the MOVIE industry every goddam day: 23.98 TV master vs 24.00 Theatrical master vs 23.98 Advertisement vs 24.00 theatrical trailers...

EVERY > SINGLE > GODDAM > DAY > OF > MY > WORKING > LIFE.
SuperServer 5039AD-I
C9X299-PGF - DDR4-2400 16x4 GB
i9-7920xCPU 12c 2.90GHz Water cooled
2x GTX 1080ti DeckLink Studio 4K
Window10 - Resolve Studio 16.0.0B.040
nvidia: 430.86 studio
Offline

Krishna Pada

  • Posts: 156
  • Joined: Tue May 17, 2016 5:55 pm

Re: How to change the timeline framerate after editing is do

PostSun Feb 17, 2019 5:00 am

Marc Wielage wrote:
Krishna Pada wrote:One scenario is when the buyer/ client wants two versions of their finished stuff (normally songs/ ads) both in 24 fps as well as in 25 fps. One version to run as trailers in cinema halls, the other to go for TV broadcast.

I would render out the entire 24.00fps version, take a high-quality output (like ProRes 444XQ or DPX files), start a new 25.00fps session, bring in the file or sequence, and change the native frame rate to the timeline frame rate. It'll now run 4% faster -- which would happen anyway -- but there will be no other artifacts.

Sound still has to be sped up 4%, so it's your choice to do pitch correction or not.


That's exactly what what we do now. But FCP7 days were so good with "Cinema Tools", remember?
FILMWALLAH.
Resolve Studio. Mac Pro 5.1 12 core, 64 GB Ram, Titan X, 1 TB SSD System drive, 500 GB Resolve Cache, 12TB Internal Raid, Sierra
Red S-W, 5D Mark IV, A7s2
Zeiss CP.3 15, 25, 50, 85. Zeiss Contax 25, 35, 50, 85, 135. Rokinon 14, 24, 35, 50, 85
Offline

Krishna Pada

  • Posts: 156
  • Joined: Tue May 17, 2016 5:55 pm

Re: How to change the timeline framerate after editing is do

PostSun Feb 17, 2019 5:04 am

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:
Finish in native fps and then just assume 25p end export.
As I said- this can be implemented in the way so it's very easy and fast, but it's quite a big task when you want to do it well.


You can't do that in Resolve. If your project setting is 24 fps, 25 fps out from Deliver page is not possible. And vice versa.

24 fps can be rendered out to 23.98 (and vice versa) though!
FILMWALLAH.
Resolve Studio. Mac Pro 5.1 12 core, 64 GB Ram, Titan X, 1 TB SSD System drive, 500 GB Resolve Cache, 12TB Internal Raid, Sierra
Red S-W, 5D Mark IV, A7s2
Zeiss CP.3 15, 25, 50, 85. Zeiss Contax 25, 35, 50, 85, 135. Rokinon 14, 24, 35, 50, 85
Offline

Andrew Kolakowski

  • Posts: 5413
  • Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:20 am

Re: How to change the timeline framerate after editing is do

PostSun Feb 17, 2019 10:26 am

I know you can't, but creating and setting up new project takes 1 min, so I don't see it as such a big deal.
I sometimes have 100 masters which need such a speed change, so then I use other tools and everything is automated.

24<->25 could be implemented easily (as export setting) as it's simple case. There are many other cases which are far more difficult, so overall this it's far from easy to implement.
Offline

Vit Reiter

  • Posts: 272
  • Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:36 pm

Re: How to change the timeline framerate after editing is do

PostSun Feb 17, 2019 7:11 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:Lets say your source is 29.97p and I need 25p/50i master. You can't just slow it down as in case of 24<->25.
Why not? I can export a source of 29.97p to 25p master and I want to do it without drop frames, so the exported video will be slower than the source video. But why not? This is not a problem for example for motion graphics video. Does the machine want to be clearer than a human? Have the user what he wants to do.

Maybe it is the off topic but it is the same like what DaVinci does. Why can not set project resolution to 720x526 in square pixels? DaVinci automatically set resolution for SD PAL with anamorphic pixel 4:3 or 16:9 and option for square pixel is hidden. But I need set 720x576 with square pixel because 60 parts of series from Africa has exactly this resolution. I must choose resolution for 720x574 then square pixel is not hidden but this is not good job. The machine is the more clever than a human.

Don't learn me, please, that 720x576 with square pixels is not standard. Those filmmakers so made it. My job is prepare series to delivery but I can not make it in DaVinci in original resolution and this is not right.

PS: The same is for NTSC resolution.
Andrew Kolakowski wrote:When you talk about it then it sounds so easy where in reality it's very complex.
I never say that sound is easy but it is the other story.
DaVinci Resolve 16.0b6 Studio, Fusion 16.0b6 Studio
macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
Mac Pro 2013,
AMD FirePro D700 Graphics, 64 GB RAM

Film Editor, Colorist, VFX and Motion Graphic Designer, DIT, Encoding technician
linkedin.com/in/vít-reiter-film-editor
Offline

Vit Reiter

  • Posts: 272
  • Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:36 pm

Re: How to change the timeline framerate after editing is do

PostSun Feb 17, 2019 7:44 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:
Krishna Pada wrote:One scenario is when the buyer/ client wants two versions of their finished stuff (normally songs/ ads) both in 24 fps as well as in 25 fps. One version to run as trailers in cinema halls, the other to go for TV broadcast.

I would render out the entire 24.00fps version, take a high-quality output (like ProRes 444XQ or DPX files), start a new 25.00fps session, bring in the file or sequence, and change the native frame rate to the timeline frame rate. It'll now run 4% faster -- which would happen anyway -- but there will be no other artifacts.

Sound still has to be sped up 4%, so it's your choice to do pitch correction or not.
Use the AAF or XML timeline export and import them into a new project with the required frame rate. This is more effective - you do not have to make one extra export. Audio always have to do with external time stretching tools, because DaVinci makes unusable quality time stretching.
DaVinci Resolve 16.0b6 Studio, Fusion 16.0b6 Studio
macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
Mac Pro 2013,
AMD FirePro D700 Graphics, 64 GB RAM

Film Editor, Colorist, VFX and Motion Graphic Designer, DIT, Encoding technician
linkedin.com/in/vít-reiter-film-editor
Offline

SantenPlu

  • Posts: 35
  • Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:33 pm
  • Location: Germany
  • Real Name: Santen Plur

Re: How to change the timeline framerate after editing is do

PostSun Feb 17, 2019 8:23 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:If you want to edit in eg. 25p but then require 29.97p output and want just switch fps then this is not going to work. Not a single NLE will produce proper result in such a case. Fact that some allow to change project fps doesn't mean much. This work ok only if time base is the same- eg 25p and 50p.


Wrong, we are doing PAL-Country to NTSC-Country conversions all the time with Premiere. Never had an issue.
This is done by various pull push frames. No rocket science. This is what your smartphone, monitor or tv is doing all the time in realtime because they are mostly clocked at 60hz.
Offline

Andrew Kolakowski

  • Posts: 5413
  • Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:20 am

Re: How to change the timeline framerate after editing is do

PostSun Feb 17, 2019 8:28 pm

Vit Reiter wrote:
Andrew Kolakowski wrote:Lets say your source is 29.97p and I need 25p/50i master. You can't just slow it down as in case of 24<->25.
Why not? I can export a source of 29.97p to 25p master and I want to do it without drop frames, so the exported video will be slower than the source video. But why not? This is not a problem for example for motion graphics video. Does the machine want to be clearer than a human? Have the user what he wants to do.

Maybe it is the off topic but it is the same like what DaVinci does. Why can not set project resolution to 720x526 in square pixels? DaVinci automatically set resolution for SD PAL with anamorphic pixel 4:3 or 16:9 and option for square pixel is hidden. But I need set 720x576 with square pixel because 60 parts of series from Africa has exactly this resolution. I must choose resolution for 720x574 then square pixel is not hidden but this is not good job. The machine is the more clever than a human.

Don't learn me, please, that 720x576 with square pixels is not standard. Those filmmakers so made it. My job is prepare series to delivery but I can not make it in DaVinci in original resolution and this is not right.

PS: The same is for NTSC resolution.
Andrew Kolakowski wrote:When you talk about it then it sounds so easy where in reality it's very complex.
I never say that sound is easy but it is the other story.


You do speed change between 25 and 29.97? What you do with dialogue or even speed of the video in typical scenes?
We are working to very different standards as I don't know a single client who would accept such a master.
Offline

Andrew Kolakowski

  • Posts: 5413
  • Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:20 am

Re: How to change the timeline framerate after editing is do

PostSun Feb 17, 2019 8:35 pm

SantenPlu wrote:
Andrew Kolakowski wrote:If you want to edit in eg. 25p but then require 29.97p output and want just switch fps then this is not going to work. Not a single NLE will produce proper result in such a case. Fact that some allow to change project fps doesn't mean much. This work ok only if time base is the same- eg 25p and 50p.


Wrong, we are doing PAL-Country to NTSC-Country conversions all the time with Premiere. Never had an issue.
This is done by various pull push frames. No rocket science. This is what your smartphone, monitor or tv is doing all the time in realtime because they are mostly clocked at 60hz.


This only works between eg. 25p to 59.94i.
There is still small issue with Premiere version of it as it doesn't keep clean scene changes.

Try doing this between 25p and 29.97p. End result will be simply unacceptable (all what you get is repeated frames here and there in this case).
This is yet again special case. As I said- you can add those special cases to Resolve, but doing any to any fps is simply crazy difficult and in practice can't be implemented as simple switch in NLE.
Last edited by Andrew Kolakowski on Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Offline

Andrew Kolakowski

  • Posts: 5413
  • Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:20 am

Re: How to change the timeline framerate after editing is do

PostSun Feb 17, 2019 8:48 pm

SantenPlu wrote:
Andrew Kolakowski wrote:If you want to edit in eg. 25p but then require 29.97p output and want just switch fps then this is not going to work. Not a single NLE will produce proper result in such a case. Fact that some allow to change project fps doesn't mean much. This work ok only if time base is the same- eg 25p and 50p.


Wrong, we are doing PAL-Country to NTSC-Country conversions all the time with Premiere. Never had an issue.
This is done by various pull push frames. No rocket science. This is what your smartphone, monitor or tv is doing all the time in realtime because they are mostly clocked at 60hz.


TVs always clocked at 60Hz? Nonsense. TVs are multisync and always follow by default incoming fps.
New ones have motion adaptive algorithms which can convert everything to eg 60 or 120fps, but they are far from perfect and leave motion artefacts same way as tools like Alchemist etc. In cheaper TV this option is simply useless. In expensive it sort if works, but quite often still fails. Much better is black frame insertion, but only some manufactures offer this as an option.
Monitors or phone screens are in most cases clocked at eg 60Hz (not a rule though) and they are not perfect for different fps videos.
This is why we use reference screens or TVs as at least preview can be properly synced to screen. This is first element of proper monitoring (and so important when you still work with interlaced content).
Last edited by Andrew Kolakowski on Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Offline

Peter Cave

  • Posts: 1229
  • Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:45 am
  • Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: How to change the timeline framerate after editing is do

PostSun Feb 17, 2019 11:37 pm

Vit wrote "Why can not set project resolution to 720x526 in square pixels? DaVinci automatically set resolution for SD PAL with anamorphic pixel 4:3 or 16:9 and option for square pixel is hidden. But I need set 720x576 with square pixel because 60 parts of series from Africa has exactly this resolution."

SD DV pixel aspect are NOT square. Display raster for PAL is 768 x 576 and the encoded media is 720 x 576. This info is widely available. If you are going to criticize Resolve, at least get the facts correct.

Sorry for being off-topic.
Resolve 15.3 & 16b4
Mac OSX 10.13.6
Hackintosh i7 32gb
GTX 1060 6GB
Offline

Andrew Kolakowski

  • Posts: 5413
  • Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:20 am

Re: How to change the timeline framerate after editing is do

PostMon Feb 18, 2019 9:19 am

Vit, pixel aspect for PAL is just a a metadata which tells display element how to stretch image, so it looks good. Resolution is always the same and everything is fine in Resolve. It doesn't "scale footage" or use anything else than 720x576.
You never want to scale PAL to anything else (trying to achieve good preview at 1:1 pixels aspect) for broadcast. You may want to do it in some case for eg. web preview, but this is different story.
There is no need to have square pixel settings as it's useless. You can actually turn off pixel aspect correction in Resolve viewer if I'm correct, but no idea why would you want to edit this way looking at squeezed image.

Learn to understand standards and stay with them when you delivering for broadcast.
When you create video for web then you may want to have square pixels aspect, but most players will handle non-square properly as well.
Offline
User avatar

Marc Wielage

  • Posts: 5691
  • Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:46 am
  • Location: Hollywood, USA

Re: How to change the timeline framerate after editing is do

PostMon Feb 18, 2019 11:31 am

waltervolpatto wrote:Tell me based on the above post, between 23.98 and 24.00, what exactly are you going to break?

As long as all departments -- dailies, editorial, sound, VFX, and color -- are in agreement on going in for either 23.98 or 24.00, it's all good. All of it can work. Where it can become a trainwreck is if (say) a B-unit goes out and shoots at the other speed and doesn't tell anybody.

If the production is unified on one speed, it's fine. At the very end, we can always do a .1% pull-down for TV (from 24), or a .1% pull-up for DCP (from 23.98).

waltervolpatto wrote:One goddam scenario is what we have to deal in the MOVIE industry every goddam day: 23.98 TV master vs 24.00 Theatrical master vs 23.98 Advertisement vs 24.00 theatrical trailers... EVERY > SINGLE > GODDAM > DAY > OF > MY > WORKING > LIFE.

Yep, that's a pain in the ass. You would think a post supervisor would get that straightened out prior to color.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood
Offline
User avatar

James Moore

  • Posts: 115
  • Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:33 pm

Re: How to change the timeline framerate after editing is do

PostThu Mar 14, 2019 8:29 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:One goddam scenario is what we have to deal in the MOVIE industry every goddam day: 23.98 TV master vs 24.00 Theatrical master vs 23.98 Advertisement vs 24.00 theatrical trailers...

EVERY > SINGLE > GODDAM > DAY > OF > MY > WORKING > LIFE.



So, how do you approach this problem? Edit at 23.98, render full show at 23.98, import into new 24 project and create the DCP from there? or vice versa
Windows 10
Intel core i7-4770k CPU 3.5 GHz
32 gigs Ram
GeForce TITAN black
GeForce TITAN
NVIDIA Driver 430.39
Offline

Andrew Kolakowski

  • Posts: 5413
  • Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:20 am

Re: How to change the timeline framerate after editing is do

PostThu Mar 14, 2019 9:19 pm

Yes, you import eg 23.98, then on clip attribute change to 24 and then do new timeline. People reported not the best resampling by Resolve, so maybe process audio outside Resolve (eg. Adobe Audition). It's 0.1% change (well it's slightly less on more depending which way you go, but for 2h 0.1% should be fine). When you import audio to Resolve it should perfectly match length with video. If it does then everything should be in sync.

You can also do it in Resolve. First do video part only. Then drag just audio (so it's not linked to video). Right click on audio and there you have change clip speed option. You can use fps as unit so it's easier (untick pitch correction).
Offline
User avatar

Chad Capeland

  • Posts: 2256
  • Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:40 pm

Re: How to change the timeline framerate after editing is do

PostFri Mar 15, 2019 3:04 am

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:There are some cases where you can quite 'easily' convert between two different fps


Then why can't we do that? Taking a 120 fps timeline and needing to render out a 24 fps and 30 fps version should be as simple as skipping to every 5th or 4th frame. But we can't even do that in Resolve.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com
Offline
User avatar

Marc Wielage

  • Posts: 5691
  • Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:46 am
  • Location: Hollywood, USA

Re: How to change the timeline framerate after editing is do

PostFri Mar 15, 2019 6:36 am

waltervolpatto wrote:Tell me based on the above post, between 23.98 and 24.00, what exactly are you going to break?

Well, let's say you ship a master done at 23.98 to the sound department... and they're trying to sync up a 24.00fps soundtrack. Somebody's got to do the .1% pull-up (or pull-down), and it's one more thing that can cause problems on down the line.

To me, it's important for the post supervisor (or the head editor on a show with out a sup) to send out a memo saying, "this show is going to be done completely at XXX frames per second," and stick with that for all departments: editing, VFX, sound, conform, color, the works. When one guy doesn't get the memo, it can all be disastrous.

For anybody who needs to deliver to foreign countries, it's not that much trouble to take a finished 23.98fps master and speed it up 4.1% to 25fps. Or -- better yet -- if you have a Snell Alchemy, run it through that and keep it at the same speed with a minimum of visual artifacts. Same thing if you have a 25fps master that needs to go to 29.97fps -- which would require some form of Optical Flow.

This all brings back the nightmare of working with interlaced master... and that's a very low, very hot part of hell.

James Moore wrote:So, how do you approach this problem? Edit at 23.98, render full show at 23.98, import into new 24 project and create the DCP from there? or vice versa

Or you could use a file editor to change the attributes of the 23.98 file to 24.00fps, and let it run .1% faster. Not the end of the world. Or you could run it through Resolve again as a 24fps project and change Clip Attributes to 24.00 and re-render. It will require SRC (sample rate conversion) for audio, and I haven't tried it within Resolve to know how good/bad/ugly it sounds, but I would bet it's fine for most purposes.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood
Offline
User avatar

Gary Hango

  • Posts: 234
  • Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:35 pm
  • Location: Left Coast
  • Real Name: Gary Hango

Re: How to change the timeline framerate after editing is do

PostFri Mar 15, 2019 2:12 pm

Render out as an image sequence. They’re fps agnostic.
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64
Version 10.0.16299 Build 16299
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700, 3.40GHz, 32.0 GB
MB: MSI, BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. A.60, 12/17/2015
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960, 2Gb
The latest Resolve (Standard)
Offline
User avatar

Chad Capeland

  • Posts: 2256
  • Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:40 pm

Re: How to change the timeline framerate after editing is do

PostFri Mar 15, 2019 2:28 pm

Gary Hango wrote:Render out as an image sequence. They’re fps agnostic.


Of course there are workarounds, but we'd like to avoid unneeded rendering and I/O. Rendering out a 120fps project to an image sequence just to toss out 75-80% of the frames is needlessly slow and tedious.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com
Offline

John Paines

  • Posts: 2414
  • Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:04 pm

Re: How to change the timeline framerate after editing is do

PostFri Mar 15, 2019 2:29 pm

James Moore wrote:So, how do you approach this problem? Edit at 23.98, render full show at 23.98, import into new 24 project and create the DCP from there? or vice versa


There seem to be two different issues here: changing the frame rate *inside* the project (not currently possible) or exporting a 23.976 project as a 24fps file. I've never had occasion to do it, but I believe the developers have said repeatedly that you can deliver a 23.976 project at 24fps, with the "pull-up" being done automatically.

Or is that not what you're asking?
Offline
User avatar

James Moore

  • Posts: 115
  • Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:33 pm

Re: How to change the timeline framerate after editing is do

PostFri Mar 15, 2019 3:30 pm

In my particular case I cut a movie from footage shot at 23.976 and the movie fps was 23.976.

The client wants a DCP (Digital Cinema Projection) of the movie. A DCP runs at 24 fps. If one were to simply play the movie back at 24 fps and leave the audio as is the audio will drift out of sync.

I rendered an uncompressed AVI at 23.976 with the audio embedded in it. I created a new project at 24 fps, imported the 23.976 AVI and created a DCP. It appears fine and the audio remains in sync.

waltervolpatto deals with this problem "EVERY GODDAM DAY" (broadcast is 23.976 and theatrical 24) so I thought I'd try to learn his approach.

It seems the recommended way is to render the Picture and the Audio as separate files, run the video at 24 fps and time stretch the audio so it is the same length....

On a side note - I regularly get 23.976 commercials and I have to deliver 29.97 masters for broadcast. I use Vegas for this by loading the 23.976 file in a 29.97 project and turning resampling off (this forces the project to duplicate a whole frame where needed instead of combining/interpolating/resampling to create the new frame (which creates ugly artifacts).
Windows 10
Intel core i7-4770k CPU 3.5 GHz
32 gigs Ram
GeForce TITAN black
GeForce TITAN
NVIDIA Driver 430.39
Offline
User avatar

JPOwens

  • Posts: 1478
  • Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:04 pm
  • Location: Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Re: How to change the timeline framerate after editing is do

PostFri Mar 15, 2019 5:55 pm

Vit Reiter wrote:Often you need to work with different frame rates inside one project.
NLEs do it if the frame rate can be setting for Timeline not for whole project.


When I am wearing my Online/Deliverables hat, there are three main categories that are relevant: Universal, Domestic and International. Typically, Universal = 23.98 fps, Domestic (North America) = 29.97i, and International = 25 fps. Sometimes over-defined as 50i.

And then of course, there is 24.000 DCI for theatrical, which is usually the Universal (Extended) edit, audio adjusted.

These are all export versions of whatever the base source media dictated for the creative edit. Even aspect ratio and output resolution are compromises with the shooting format. Hard to reconcile a 2KFlatDCI with HD footage -- but it's an easy decision... pillarbox to 1998. That's it... but you still have to live with those black sidebars. Sorry, that is the way it is. The math doesn't work.

Looking back to the first NLE grading systems, they were all predicated on image sequences (.cin, .tga, .dpx) and so on, which do not have an intrinsic frame rate, so you would have to tell the application how fast to play them back. This has not actually changed in the core architecture. Allowing these applications to work with movie containers like .mov and .mxf might have been a great business idea, but it probably was a terrible technical decision. Because they still only start at a trim-in point, and then count one-frame, another frame, another frame at the project setting. That is why it is difficult.

It seems to me to be extremely careless to simply loop up your film without checking what gate it is going to run through. Imagine what would happen if you tried to ram 1000' of 4-perf 35 through a 16mm gate. Except in the digital world, you don't destroy both your stock footage and the equipment. And you get to say, can somebody fix this for me instantly?

Interested to see that there were several suggestions re: washing the timeline through another app, essentially re-conforming to the proper base rate. Frankly this is how we did 29.97 video on-line throughout the latter part of the 20th century for projects shot on 24fps film. Every day. Several times a day.

jPo, CSI
Offline
User avatar

waltervolpatto

  • Posts: 6910
  • Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:07 pm
  • Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

Re: How to change the timeline framerate after editing is do

PostFri Mar 15, 2019 10:09 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:
waltervolpatto wrote:Tell me based on the above post, between 23.98 and 24.00, what exactly are you going to break?

Well, let's say you ship a master done at 23.98 to the sound department... and they're trying to sync up a 24.00fps soundtrack. Somebody's got to do the .1% pull-up (or pull-down), and it's one more thing that can cause problems on down the line.

To me, it's important for the post supervisor (or the head editor on a show with out a sup) to send out a memo saying, "this show is going to be done completely at XXX frames per second," and stick with that for all departments: editing, VFX, sound, conform, color, the works. When one guy doesn't get the memo, it can all be disastrous.

For anybody who needs to deliver to foreign countries, it's not that much trouble to take a finished 23.98fps master and speed it up 4.1% to 25fps. Or -- better yet -- if you have a Snell Alchemy, run it through that and keep it at the same speed with a minimum of visual artifacts. Same thing if you have a 25fps master that needs to go to 29.97fps -- which would require some form of Optical Flow.

This all brings back the nightmare of working with interlaced master... and that's a very low, very hot part of hell.

James Moore wrote:So, how do you approach this problem? Edit at 23.98, render full show at 23.98, import into new 24 project and create the DCP from there? or vice versa

Or you could use a file editor to change the attributes of the 23.98 file to 24.00fps, and let it run .1% faster. Not the end of the world. Or you could run it through Resolve again as a 24fps project and change Clip Attributes to 24.00 and re-render. It will require SRC (sample rate conversion) for audio, and I haven't tried it within Resolve to know how good/bad/ugly it sounds, but I would bet it's fine for most purposes.


except that if you're working on a movie for theatrical, you need a 24.00 DCp and all the marketing is done at 23.98 for TV.

there are two different audio files that keep in account for the speed change, but the frames are absolutely identical.
SuperServer 5039AD-I
C9X299-PGF - DDR4-2400 16x4 GB
i9-7920xCPU 12c 2.90GHz Water cooled
2x GTX 1080ti DeckLink Studio 4K
Window10 - Resolve Studio 16.0.0B.040
nvidia: 430.86 studio
Offline

Andrew Kolakowski

  • Posts: 5413
  • Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:20 am

Re: How to change the timeline framerate after editing is do

PostFri Mar 15, 2019 11:07 pm

Chad Capeland wrote:
Andrew Kolakowski wrote:There are some cases where you can quite 'easily' convert between two different fps


Then why can't we do that? Taking a 120 fps timeline and needing to render out a 24 fps and 30 fps version should be as simple as skipping to every 5th or 4th frame. But we can't even do that in Resolve.


We can, but not in Resolve. I'm not a Resolve developer, so not a question to me :)
I have tools for this as it's very easy case.

As already said many times- some scenarios are easy and could be implemented without much of an effort. Others are very difficult and there is no easy solution for them.

23.976p<->24p is very easy scenario. All what it needs is just audio adjustment (still causes some loss but negligible ).
Offline

Andrew Kolakowski

  • Posts: 5413
  • Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:20 am

Re: How to change the timeline framerate after editing is do

PostFri Mar 15, 2019 11:20 pm

JPOwens wrote:Looking back to the first NLE grading systems, they were all predicated on image sequences (.cin, .tga, .dpx) and so on, which do not have an intrinsic frame rate, so you would have to tell the application how fast to play them back. This has not actually changed in the core architecture. Allowing these applications to work with movie containers like .mov and .mxf might have been a great business idea, but it probably was a terrible technical decision. Because they still only start at a trim-in point, and then count one-frame, another frame, another frame at the project setting. That is why it is difficult.


Not really. You can apply same "logic" to MOV etc. containers.
It doesn't matter if you have TIFF sequence (at native 25fps) or 25p MOV file. If you want to go to eg. 30p you'll have the same core problem. Assuming fps for non-sequence containers is about as easy as for sequences. Once sequence is imported is also becomes a "movie" with fps. If you have MOV etc. just imported, but not in the timeline you can always assume new fps (same as for image sequence).
Offline

Andrew Kolakowski

  • Posts: 5413
  • Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:20 am

Re: How to change the timeline framerate after editing is do

PostFri Mar 15, 2019 11:29 pm

James Moore wrote:....

On a side note - I regularly get 23.976 commercials and I have to deliver 29.97 masters for broadcast. I use Vegas for this by loading the 23.976 file in a 29.97 project and turning resampling off (this forces the project to duplicate a whole frame where needed instead of combining/interpolating/resampling to create the new frame (which creates ugly artifacts).


There is nothing what Vegas can do differently. It either will blend/repeat/drop frames or apply 3:2 pulldown. It doesn't do anything magical as such a "magic" doesn't exist. Duplicated frames will produce jerky end result. Vegas most likely does 3:2 pulldown which is acceptable by broadcast.
Offline

Andrew Kolakowski

  • Posts: 5413
  • Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:20 am

Re: How to change the timeline framerate after editing is do

PostFri Mar 15, 2019 11:37 pm

James Moore wrote:
I rendered an uncompressed AVI at 23.976 with the audio embedded in it. I created a new project at 24 fps, imported the 23.976 AVI and created a DCP. It appears fine and the audio remains in sync.


Have you watched it properly?
It will be in sync but will have dropped frames so in some places motion will "jump". Check frame count on your 24p and 23.976p. They should match.
Resolve default setting is Nearest, which means it will drop/repeat frames as needed.
Your conversion is not correct. You have to assume 24 fps on clip attribute before dragging to 24p timeline to avoid any fps conversion (interpolation or duplicating/dropping) and adjust audio (in Resolve or outside).
Offline
User avatar

Marc Wielage

  • Posts: 5691
  • Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:46 am
  • Location: Hollywood, USA

Re: How to change the timeline framerate after editing is do

PostSat Mar 16, 2019 2:05 am

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:It will be in sync but will have dropped frames so in some places motion will "jump". Check frame count on your 24p and 23.976p. They should match. Resolve default setting is Nearest, which means it will drop/repeat frames as needed. Your conversion is not correct. You have to assume 24 fps on clip attribute before dragging to 24p timeline to avoid any fps conversion (interpolation or duplicating/dropping) and adjust audio (in Resolve or outside).

At the moment, I'm working on a 24.00fps project for a film restoration. (For various reasons, the client likes to work in 24.00fps, and I don't argue with what a client wants to do.) We already have the ability to render a 24.00fps file, or a 23.976fps file, or a 29.97i file with 2:3 pulldown, right in the delivery page. There are no appreciable artifacts in doing so.

There are issues with 25fps in a 30fps (or 29.97) world, and there are further complications if you combine 23.98, 24.00, 25.00, and 29.97fps clips in the same project. There are good suggested workflows for dealing with multiple framerates, but my tactic is generally to use high-quality conversion to transcode them to a "unified delivery format" first (ProRes 29.97 can work), but the choice all hinges on ultimate delivery destination. So the answer is basically "it depends."

And thank you to @JPOwens for going over the many issues of a multi-framerate workflow in detail. I agree 100% with what he says. This is a complicated area where you have to be very careful what decisions you make early in the process, because it absolutely can be a house of cards that is easily knocked down.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood
Offline

Andrew Kolakowski

  • Posts: 5413
  • Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:20 am

Re: How to change the timeline framerate after editing is do

PostSat Mar 16, 2019 10:53 am

Marc Wielage wrote:At the moment, I'm working on a 24.00fps project for a film restoration. (For various reasons, the client likes to work in 24.00fps, and I don't argue with what a client wants to do.) We already have the ability to render a 24.00fps file, or a 23.976fps file, or a 29.97i file with 2:3 pulldown, right in the delivery page. There are no appreciable artifacts in doing so.


This is fine as long as you don't drag 23.976p footage into 24p timeline in first place.
James said:
James Moore wrote:I rendered an uncompressed AVI at 23.976 with the audio embedded in it. I created a new project at 24 fps, imported the 23.976 AVI and created a DCP. It appears fine and the audio remains in sync.

which is wrong as he will have dropped frames and jerky motion. All what he needs to do is export 24p out of original 23.976p timeline (using export option as you said). It's as easy as choosing 24p for frame rate in export tab. He can also use frame assumption method if he wants to process audio separately outside Resolve.

In this case exporting 23.976p vs 24p is very easy (just not sure about Resolve's audio processing as there were reports of poor results- maybe it forces pitch correction?).
I assume people are after these sort of "easy options". Same thing can be implemented for 23.976/24<->25 (with speed up slow down) with tick button to keep or not pitch correction. I think some users would use it, even if audio processing may not be as good as in top audio tools.

Well, exactly- there is no single rule and making engine which would do any to any fps is very difficult.
There are few things which can be done specially on export tab though. You can also have 25p export going to 59.94i over advanced pulldown which is used a lot for broadcast (or cases like 25p<->50p, 29.97<->59.94). This is easy to implement and in many cases would be helpful. Those "special practices" can be collected and implemented on export tab.
This is all delivery/export related where BM still has a lot to do compared to competition.
Offline
User avatar

carlomacchiavello

  • Posts: 630
  • Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:04 pm
  • Location: italy

Re: How to change the timeline framerate after editing is do

PostSun Mar 17, 2019 2:51 pm

SantenPlu wrote:Adobe Premiere can do this for years without any errors.
I don´t understand the discussion here?

btw: any editing software has a database where edits are stored.


Try to add in and out and later change the interpretation fps of clip, you can see shifting and many odds on premiere. I founded this bug (and more others on cc2018 that cause me a lots of headache during a complex editing.


Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
Offline

roger.magnusson

  • Posts: 896
  • Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:58 pm
  • Location: Sweden

Re: How to change the timeline framerate after editing is do

PostSun Mar 17, 2019 3:29 pm

JPOwens wrote:Because they still only start at a trim-in point, and then count one-frame, another frame, another frame at the project setting. That is why it is difficult.

Based on how the scripting API in Resolve works I'd say this is probably a core issue. It's all whole frames except maybe on the Fairlight page.

From creating scripts for Vegas in the Sonic Foundry days I know they used a much more granular unit representing actual time. But then again that application started as a DAW.

FCP seems to use fractions.
Offline

kawowski

  • Posts: 6
  • Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:33 am
  • Location: Auckland, NZ
  • Real Name: Stu Kawowski

Re: How to change the timeline framerate after editing is do

PostSat Apr 20, 2019 8:31 am

José Santos wrote:
kiran bale wrote:i wanted to keep the framerate of the timeline to be 24fps for editing a slow motion video shot at 50fps. but accidentally i kept the timeline fps setting to 50fps and edited all my videos and my final looks very odd(speedy playback, unsual speed etc) how can i change the timeline framerate settings now after the editing is done. is it possible? or should i start the editing all over again (which is a lot of pain) plz help me out. DAVINCI RESOLVE 12.5


hi, delete all your media, then go to the project settings and change the project frame rate to the desired. Save and close the settings tab. UNDO (cmd+z/ctrl+z) and the media that you deleted is restored but the change you made in the settings stays the same. This also works if you want to change the mixed frame rate option.


I tried that, I wanted to convert from 24 to 29.97fps, you can change the Playback frame rate, the Video Format & frame rate but the Timeline frame rate remains greyed out.
Offline

kawowski

  • Posts: 6
  • Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:33 am
  • Location: Auckland, NZ
  • Real Name: Stu Kawowski

Re: HOW TO CHANGE THE TIMELINE FRAMERATE AFTER EDITING IS DO

PostSat Apr 20, 2019 10:05 am

Tom Early wrote:This probably won't work and even if it could it might depend on the settings you have for mixed frame rates in the conform section in project settings, but you could try exporting an XML from Resolve, opening it in Text Edit (or similar) and wherever it says '<timebase>50</timebase>', change it to say '<timebase>24</timebase>'. Then make a new project at 24fps and import the modified XML. Long shot but worth a try.


I tried that but it somehow knew I was trying to trick it... I tried many times, but it didn't want to know about it. If anyone successfully hacks an XML file frame rate, I'd like to know how!
Previous

Return to DaVinci Resolve

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Hulihullut Productions and 30 guests