Home Studio Pipeline: Recommendations?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

BrianDors

Home Studio Pipeline: Recommendations?

PostMon Feb 11, 2019 5:15 pm

Hey everyone and thank you for your time,

I've been afforded that opportunity to be able to work remotely more and I am in the need to set up a small operation in my house. Does not have to be much, of course the overhead should be low. I've been reviewing and looking at a lot of the BMD products and I think I know what I need, just thought asking here would help maybe keep me in the right direction.

What I need to do:
- have just 1 mic set up via XLR
- The ability to also grade from home.

What I think I need:
- DeckLink Studio 4K
-Mini Converter Audio to SDI - or - Teranex Mini - HDMI to SDI 12G

I'd use the Decklink to route from the PC to the calibrated monitor
(leaving the actual computer monitor connected via GPU or decklink <- confused by this)

Route the XLR cable to the Mini Converter or Teranex and then SDI that to the Decklink or jus TB3 to the MoBo?

I know having a 4ch mixer should be on the list. I thought maybe in 2019 since it's just for dialogue reads I could bypass that and do it via a GUI.

Does this sound right? Maybe I should just call? Didn't want to waste supports time.

EDIT Also, any thoughts on calibrated monitors and monitors for offline would be great as well! Thanks again!
WIN10
GA-Z170X-UD5 TH w/ Thunderbolt 3
i7-6700K @4 (OC'ed to 4.4) water cooled
64GB RAM @2400
GTX 1080Ti - 417.35 - DirectX12
1TB 970 EVO NVMe PCIe M.2
Resolve Studio 15.2.2

Peter Cave

Re: Home Studio Pipeline: Recommendations?

PostThu Feb 14, 2019 8:24 am

You will need a preamp for the microphone. Preamp output feeds into the Decklink. You don't need any converters.
Resolve 18.6.5 Mac OSX 14.4 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

BrianDors

PostMon Feb 18, 2019 2:34 pm

Peter Cave wrote:You will need a preamp for the microphone. Preamp output feeds into the Decklink. You don't need any converters.

Yea, I misread the tech specs. Looks like a Deck link and the Ultra Studio 4k. I believe this can power an XLR mic, no?
WIN10
GA-Z170X-UD5 TH w/ Thunderbolt 3
i7-6700K @4 (OC'ed to 4.4) water cooled
64GB RAM @2400
GTX 1080Ti - 417.35 - DirectX12
1TB 970 EVO NVMe PCIe M.2
Resolve Studio 15.2.2

Peter Cave

PostMon Feb 18, 2019 9:57 pm

BrianDors wrote:
Peter Cave wrote:You will need a preamp for the microphone. Preamp output feeds into the Decklink. You don't need any converters.

Yea, I misread the tech specs. Looks like a Deck link and the Ultra Studio 4k. I believe this can power an XLR mic, no?

Why do you believe that? You need to read the tech specs more carefully. Also the type of mic is important as not all mics need power. What's your experience level with professional audio connections?
Resolve 18.6.5 Mac OSX 14.4 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Joshua_G

PostTue Feb 19, 2019 9:15 am

To the OP:
Feed your Resolve GUI to your computer monitor via your existing GPU.

Feed your graded monitor via a DeckLink. If you wouldn't need more than 2160p30, DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K will do. If you need up to 2160p60, then choose DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G. Both those DeckLink cards can feed 4K DCI up to 24p through both HDMI and SDI and up to 4K DCI 25p through SDI only.

For graded monitor, if on a budget, BenQ SW271 is recommended.

For feeding up to 2 microphones into the PC, either phantom powered or not, choose Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen) USB Audio Interface. For feeding up to 4 microphones, choose Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 (2nd Gen) USB Audio Interface.
DaVinci Resolve Studio (latest stable) / Windows 10 Pro x64 / AMD 1920X / 32GB RAM / RX Vega56 8G.
BMPCC 6K + BMPCC 6K Pro.
Retired electronics technician and sound engineer, long-time amateur photographer, beginner hobbyist filmmaker for personal uses.

Craig Marshall

PostTue Feb 19, 2019 10:09 am

Joshua_G wrote:...For graded monitor, if on a budget, BenQ SW271 is recommended....

We use BenQ's 10bit IPS PG2401PT via an SDI to DP converter with our current 12G Decklink SDI 4K Pro. This monitor has on board hardware calibration for Rec.709 but for the OP, the PV270 is a better option than the SW series. We will upgrade to the new PV271 4K model as soon as it is released here. It features a direct 12G SDI input.
4K Post Studio, Freelance Filmmaker, Media Writer
Win10/Lightworks/Resolve 15.1/X-Keys 68 Jog-Shuttle/OxygenTec ProPanel
12G SDI Decklink 4K Pro/Calibrated 10bit IPS SDI Monitor
HDvideo4K.com

Marc Wielage

PostSun Feb 24, 2019 3:57 am

There are some good articles on designing a small color-correction room in a home office or spare bedroom over on MixingLight.com (note this is a pay site). Alexis Van Hurkman has an entire chapter devoted to the subject in his Color Correction Handbook.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to Post Production