What’s better, a backpack or suitcase?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Nedruerl

What’s better, a backpack or suitcase?

PostMon Feb 18, 2019 1:51 pm

I am used to travel with my backpack. A logic choice when you also walk trails and such.
But while traveling for a few months now in South America, I do not walk a lot with my backpack while living as a DN.

So the question came up: Backpack or suitcase for the next travels?
The walk from hostel to the bus terminal is no problem. And a case is so much more accessible to live out… I think.

The case to go for me would be a Rimowa, thé topnotch aluminum one.
What is you experience with a case vs. a bag?

carlomacchiavello

Re: What’s better, a backpack or suitcase?

PostTue Feb 19, 2019 8:24 pm

Temba shootout, backpack with trolley, when you need. A bit more heavier but for more the best when I travel alone.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

ricardo marty

PostTue Feb 19, 2019 9:52 pm

Nedruerl wrote:I am used to travel with my backpack. A logic choice when you also walk trails and

What equipment are you using?

Ricardo Marty
DVR_S 18.5, Asus ProArt PD5, 2.5 GHz i7 16-Core 64GB of 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM GeForce RTX 3070 1TB M.2 NVMe Window 11, LenovoLegion 2.6 i7 10750h 2.6, 64gb 3200mhz, rtx 2060, 1tb ssd M.2 Win 11 BenQ PD3420Q, Sony FS700R, Bmp4k, Sony A6700. PreSonus AudioBox

Robert Baker

PostWed Feb 20, 2019 12:03 am

Small List of my current toolset:

BMPCC6k - EVA1 - GH5 - Canon R - DaVinci Resolve Studio - Adobe CC - Sony Soundforge 11 - Izotope RX7 - Izotope Elements

Tristan Pemberton

PostWed Feb 20, 2019 12:12 am

For me, it all depends on the job.

Am I driving? Am I flying? On the train? And what gear do I need for each particular job with those previous variables?
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

Mike Potton

PostWed Feb 20, 2019 12:20 am

Urrrrr, does this post have anything to do with Blackmagic cameras and/or cinematography?

From what I can tell the post is about general travel and the choice between a backpack or suitcase :?

Admins, care to remove?

Robert Baker

PostWed Feb 20, 2019 12:47 am

Mike Potton wrote:Urrrrr, does this post have anything to do with Blackmagic cameras and/or cinematography?

Some of us travel to perform our cinematography utilizing Blackmagic cameras and the choice of backpack, or suitcase, to carry our cameras to travel to perform our cinematography is important.

:lol:
Small List of my current toolset:

BMPCC6k - EVA1 - GH5 - Canon R - DaVinci Resolve Studio - Adobe CC - Sony Soundforge 11 - Izotope RX7 - Izotope Elements

carlomacchiavello

PostWed Feb 20, 2019 11:31 am

ricardo marty wrote:
Nedruerl wrote:I am used to travel with my backpack. A logic choice when you also walk trails and

What equipment are you using?

Ricardo Marty

UMP with accessories, viewfinder, 2 gmount battery 95, 17-55 2.8 canon zoom, Ntg2, tasca dr70, lots of cable. And more all in the backpack

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Sandeep Gill

PostWed Feb 20, 2019 12:14 pm

Both? The Thinktank Takeoff V2 for example. A rolling case for camera gear that is incredibly well reviewed that can act as a backpack when you need it to.

Leon Benzakein

PostFri Feb 22, 2019 3:15 pm

If you need to run from wild animals and unfriendly natives(e.g. certain BMD forum members), I would suggest a backpack so that your hands are free to poke the offending creatures with your tripod. That I am sure you would have a BMD camera attached to.

How many hands do you have?
Would you not prefer to keep them free to blow your nose?

How good is your travel insurance?

Or are you just a tourist visiting this forum who has come off the streets in search of Tapas?

Happy travels.

Get a suitcase with shoulder straps.
Television: Lighting/Cameraman, O.B. Camera Operator, Experience in EFP, EPG and ENG , Grip, Lamp Operator
Film: Grip, Lamp Operator
Theater: Lighting Designer, Light board Operator, Stage Electrician, Stage Management

Johan Cramer

PostFri Feb 22, 2019 9:05 pm

Back to the initial question: IMHO, a backpack is always better (if it's still feasible to carry) since it better shields your equipment from shocks and vibrations.

I would roll a trolley suitcase with electronic equipment only inside buildings or on really even surfaces.

JeffVasquez

PostSat Feb 23, 2019 2:11 am

If the gear is delicate I put it in backpack. I have owned almost every brand of case with wheels. All of them get treated rather harshly, however things in my backpack survive. Once I saw a cab driver practically throw my camera case to the ground and sure enough one of my cameras was damaged. On a trip to Spain I put a monitor in a very well padded suit case and it did not make the return trip home. Presently I use an Orca bag for my BMPCC4K. Never put your gear in suitcase. Large Pelican cases work too but it is always a gamble if you will come home with all your gear. In generally I travel like I am backpacking but I carry everything with me that I can. Sometimes its worth it to bring an assistant just to help with bag transportation. It's the most critical part of your trip. If you gear does not work you can't do your job.

Denny Smith

PostSat Feb 23, 2019 5:47 am

I have a Backpack designed specifically for cameras and a larger one for the rest of my stuff, clothes, etc. I carry the camera and my mate carries the other packback, or the other way round. Both Backpacks are slash proof, zippers locked so they can not be opened (extra bits secure them ane including small steel cables. A thief would have a hard time getting at it, or taking it from me, short of at gun point.

Hauling luggage around without a trolley is too much work for me these days! :roll:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Swissified

PostSat Feb 23, 2019 8:03 am

Interesting discussion, I wouldn't use a trolley. I have use of either a Peli 1485 or a Billingham. Type of case varying as to mode of transport.

Return to Cinematography