Intensity Shuttle with Thunderbolt to USB-C adapter

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

2AFerg

Intensity Shuttle with Thunderbolt to USB-C adapter

PostTue Feb 19, 2019 7:56 pm

I'm trying to use an Intensity Shuttle, but the video isn't coming through. I have an HDMI signal in, and I have the thunderbolt out with a thunderbolt to USB-C adapter into the Mac. Under system information, the Mac sees the Intensity Shuttle, but the Blackmagic Desktop Video doesn't see any input.

Does anyone have an suggestions as to what the problem might be?

Xtreemtec

Re: Intensity Shuttle with Thunderbolt to USB-C adapter

PostWed Feb 20, 2019 1:29 pm

Not much info to go on..

But i guess you installed the latest version of desktop video?
Were you prompted that the Shuttle needed an update?
If not look into this. Because a new version of desktop video should push a software update for the capture device after a full reboot of the machine.

Also there have been several reports that this ONLY works with the official TB adapter cable from apple. As other imitations seem to fail.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

2AFerg

PostWed Feb 20, 2019 7:20 pm

I installed the software that came with the Shuttle. I assume that's the latest. Could be wrong. I'll look into it.

I am using the official Apple TB adapter.

Xtreemtec

PostWed Feb 20, 2019 9:40 pm

Could be very old. These devices could be on the shelf for the last 2 years...

Here you can find the latest version of Desktop video.
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/suppor ... d-playback

Ooh and BTW, if you are using if the Mac is running Sierra or higher you must do some security thing in the mac right after installation.. Check the manual attached to the latest version what you need to do.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

2AFerg

PostTue Feb 26, 2019 5:02 pm

Thanks for your help, I'm usually pretty good at tech stuff, but this is just eluding me for some reason.

I updated the Desktop Video, so the Mac can see signal coming from the Shuttle, but I can't see the video in any program like OBS or Media Express. In Media Express and Desktop Video, I see text that says the same resolution output as my camera, so I'm pretty confident that it sees the signal. I just don't know how to capture it. Media Express shows a black screen. OBS shows a green screen. I ultimately want to stream the video, so I think I need to use OBS.

Return to Getting Started