Software Control crash on media pool import

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

ashelgeek

Software Control crash on media pool import

PostSun Feb 10, 2019 4:09 pm

Each time I try to send media to the media pool, I got a crash. If I try to import from Atem Software Control software, it crash. If I try to export from photoshop, Photoshop crash. Anyone can help me with this issues?
Hugo Lacasse

ashelgeek

Re: Software Control crash on media pool import

PostThu Feb 14, 2019 1:57 pm

Nobody have any idea? Something with a setting? I really need to find a solution...

Envoyé de mon SM-N950W en utilisant Tapatalk
Hugo Lacasse

Ian Morrish

PostFri Feb 15, 2019 3:27 am

What type of media file?
It can only be an image, not video.
Best if the image is the same resolution as switcher mode but the software control pannel will do some adjustment for you, just takes a bit longer to upload.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Regards,
Ian Morrish
Video Integrated Scripting Environment
(Windows PowerShell with ATEM driver + more)
https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com

ashelgeek

PostFri Feb 15, 2019 3:59 am

It was an image (*.jpeg and *.gif). When you say the same resolution, you mean, in the case of 1080i, an image of 1920x1080?

Hugo Lacasse

ashelgeek

PostSat Feb 23, 2019 1:49 pm

Please, any other help? Still crashing with 1920-1080 images. In photoshop I create a new image with video setting, but I do not have the option to select 1080p/60 as my.camera, only 1080p/29.97. Could it be the reason why I can import image in the software control? Anything special to know about spec of image to import in the media pool?

Hugo Lacasse

Xtreemtec

PostSat Feb 23, 2019 2:16 pm

Oke simple test, I just downloaded this picture from google.
https://newevolutiondesigns.com/images/freebies/nature-hd-background-12.jpg

Set my Atem to 1080P29.97 as you have. Uploaded the image straight to media pool in the atem. And everything works like expected.

Have Atem 7.5.2 installed and running here.
Windows PC.
Gigabit ethernet conenction to a simple netgear switch.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

ashelgeek

PostSat Feb 23, 2019 5:06 pm

Thanks for the answer. Just an update, my ATEM is on 1080p/60, like my cam. It's in photoshop that I don't have this setting. Everything else is working perfeclty (switch, lan setting and Atem control panel software). Only the media pool image import or the photoshop export to Atem...

Hugo Lacasse

Xtreemtec

PostSat Feb 23, 2019 7:28 pm

You don't need a 50P setting for photoshop.. As photoshop is 1 frame instead of 50 frames which is video.

But did you test like i instructed above? Download that image and upload it to the media pool. Does it crash then?
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

ashelgeek

PostTue Feb 26, 2019 11:45 pm

Thanks for the answer. It's what I was thinking about fps, but I wasn't sure. I tested with your image and Atem software control still crash. I will try to reinstall it next time and try it with another computer too...

Hugo Lacasse

ashelgeek

PostFri Mar 15, 2019 4:10 pm

I tried with another computer and it's working...

I reinstalled the OS and all software on the streaming computer and the problem is still there. If there's is any image (loaded with the other computer) in the media pool, the Atem Software control crash after few second. If I remove the image (with the other computer) than the software didn't crash. It's weird...

May be it's a driver problem : do you know if there is any known issues about a conflict between the Atem software controller and a BMD Intensity Pro HD 4K ?

I think my next try will be to remove the BMD Intensity Pro HD 4K and try without...
Hugo Lacasse

andrezagato

PostSun Mar 29, 2020 3:07 pm

I have the same issue. I have a ATEM Television Studio with software version 8.1
Tried jpg, psd, png. Changed the resolution of the system, you name it!

This is extremely frustrating!

JKF

PostFri Jul 10, 2020 6:03 pm

I have the same issue also. Instant crash on media load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ian Morrish

PostSat Jul 11, 2020 9:07 am

Have you changed resolution of your ATEM since the first clip was uploaded?
There was a bug related to this. I would try upgrading to the latest firmware.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Regards,
Ian Morrish
Video Integrated Scripting Environment
(Windows PowerShell with ATEM driver + more)
https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com

JKF

PostSat Jul 11, 2020 9:14 am

I’m glad to hear of the known bug however I am running the latest firmware. I even updated to yesterday’s 8.3 before commenting.

I have not tried changing the resolution because I only have one usable resolution that is common to the various cameras and pc inputs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Denny Smith

PostSat Jul 11, 2020 10:11 pm

Sounds like a computer issue, that is not able to do all the required processing. ATEM FW updates are ATEM specific for the most part, FW 8.3 Is just for the new ATEM Advanced panels. I can run ATEM software for a Mini Pro and upload normal out of camera JPEGs, tomthe medial pool, no issue. So if it works on one computer, but not the other, than this indicates a computer issue on the one that is not working, like running out of useable RAM, or ?
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

nasadave

PostMon Jul 20, 2020 11:56 pm

I'm having this issue. I've tried reloading 8.3, as well as downgrading to 8.2.3. With 8.3, I was able to get something to save in slot 1 (I think), but it crashed after doing so. Then every launch crashed. 8.2.3 behaves better in that it doesn't crash immediately when launching. However, attempting to add any media causes it to crash. I assume it is crashing while calling some API to open the images, but I cannot garner any details beyond a guess. Everything else seems to work fine. This is on Windows 10. Are there any specific runtime libraries or apps that I should look at installing to see if it clears it up? Maybe there is a dependency that I am missing?

zonuna

PostThu Aug 13, 2020 11:17 am

Same issue with an old desktop pc with windows 10 updated .. but never have problem with gaming laptop

zonuna

PostTue Aug 25, 2020 11:10 am

ashelgeek wrote:I tried with another computer and it's working...

I reinstalled the OS and all software on the streaming computer and the problem is still there. If there's is any image (loaded with the other computer) in the media pool, the Atem Software control crash after few second. If I remove the image (with the other computer) than the software didn't crash. It's weird...

May be it's a driver problem : do you know if there is any known issues about a conflict between the Atem software controller and a BMD Intensity Pro HD 4K ?

I think my next try will be to remove the BMD Intensity Pro HD 4K and try without...

Same here, I really wish someone come up with the solution, this happen on my desktop pc, whenever other computer load simple image or lower third on media pool, the Atem control crash, and can never be open until image is remove from media pool. and that whenever I change from switcher page to media pool I need to wait a few second.

Could this be a problem with ethernet hardware or a processor ? Everything works fine except for media pool

mot1tommy

PostSat Nov 28, 2020 7:50 pm

I have the same problem and hope there is a resolution. Should not be occuring:

My situation:
New build of Windows 10 Pro on AMD hardware with 4 GB RAM
Minimal applications (Chrome, Firefox, Adobe Reader)
ATEM Software Control 8.5.2
Access to ATEM Mini Pro via ethernet
I have two other computers also accessing the ATEM Mini through the software.

The other two systems are able to see and add/remove images from the Media tab with no difficulty.

The newly built system crashes on trying to add (when Media pool empty) or when starting if there are images in the pool already. System has all Windows 10 updates (as do the other systems).

Have set system for ADMIN access rights, rebooted multiple times, and reinstalled ATEM Software. No success. Any new suggestions?

Thanks - Mike

MHCCworshiptech

Re: Software Control crash on media pool import (old AMD CPU

PostThu Dec 24, 2020 3:56 pm

The ATEM Software doesn't like anything in the Media Pool on the ATEM if your CPU isn't up to par.
A number of software games and NDI tools require that the CPU have the SSSE3 (not sse3) instruction set.
ATEM Software may also be trying to use those instructions or something like them.

I'm not saying that is exactly the problem here, but when I had the following, it crashed:

1) Atem Software 8.5.x
2) Anything in the media Pool
3) Trying to access from a pre-FX AMD processor (e.g. Athlon)

So, as an experiment you can do the following:

A) Try a post-2006 Intel processor OR
B) Try an FX or later AMD processor (Ryzen is fine)
C) Empty the media Pool from a system that works, then try again

It helped me narrow down the problem for my systems.

Greg

myothersupra

PostMon May 03, 2021 10:23 pm

Thank you for this thread!!!
We were using a repurposed HP Compaq slimline desktop PC that had originally come with a Windows 7 license that I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro x64 for activation and then did a clean Win 10 OS install before installing the ATEM Studio 4K software, all of which was done in a rush around the start of the pandemic.

We are using version 8.0.1 of the ATEM Control software on all machines that might be used to communicate with our 3 ATEM Studio 4K switchers depending on studio availability, remote feeds, operator location, etc.

This Windows 10 Pro x64 machine had seen very light occasional use running one of our ATEM Studio 4K switchers until 3 months ago when the machine allegedly "performed automatic windows updates and rebooted without warning", which is not possible as it has no internet access, and supposedly ever since that reboot the BMD ATEM Control software would launch and connect but then it suddenly encountered an error and closed.
Relaunching gave the same scenario.
Rebooting gave the same scenario.
Uninstalling, rebooting, and reinstalling gave the same scenario even though 3 other machines have no problem accessing and controlling that same ATEM Studio 4K switcher.

I installed a newer version which found the switcher, started to nag me that it would need to update the firmware on our switcher to continue but then moments later as it started to show me the switcher screen before I could cancel the update process it also encountered that same error and closed the program! Hmmm...

After lots of googling of the actual error message with useless results one of the various other keyword combinations resulted in this message thread coming up and as I read through the replies I noticed the mention of older AMD processors like the Athalon and sure enough from a different machine I found a lower third loaded into the media page, removed it, reinstalled and launched control 8.0.1 and the error message was gone and the Athalon II PC would switch just fine. BUT load a graphic into the media page and the error returns, rendering the Athalon II PC basically useless for running a show.

I hope others who found themselves getting that error moments after the switcher appears and finding absolutely nothing helpful by googling the error are fortunate enough to stumble across this thread and it helps them as it did for me by revealing that their choice of PC might be the actual problem.

Another not so fun ATEM switcher software fact that may prove helpful for some users too...

I have a HP AMD A6 laptop that was running Windows 7 Pro x86 (32-bit) which threw up the error message that the processor in the machine is not compatible with the ATEM Control software during the setup process and then the installer undoes the changes, removes itself, and exits.
That same laptop ended up getting Windows 7 Pro x64 and then a Windows 10 Pro x64 upgrade and that same laptop not only installs v8.0.1 now but also ran this same ATEM Studio 4K Switcher with all necessary graphics and zero issues during the February Texas winter storm while I wrestled with the error problem on the Athalon II desktop PC before I discovered that Athalon's just aren't up to the task.

So if you get an error during setup about an incompatible processor check the version of Windows that PC or laptop is running to be sure it's 64-bit, not 32-bit which may save you a lot of grief!

Return to Live Production