NAB 2019 Speculation

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

Chris Chiasson

NAB 2019 Speculation

PostTue Feb 26, 2019 10:27 pm

We’re a month and a half away from the next convention. Which means newer hardware. This isn’t a wish list. More of my speculation of what we might see:

1) Newer versions of the Video Asissts. They’re in a need of a refresh. Especially the 5” one. My hope is that they add a speaker to it, USB C, SSD recording integration, and a better screen when shooting outdoors in daylight (or at least as non reflective screen).

2) Alternate version of the Blackmagic Pocket 4K. Nothing drastic. You’ll probably see a PL mount or EF full frame version. Don't expect anything radical like a Pocket 4k Pro. Though maybe a studio version.

3) Updated Micro cameras. Again, they need an update. And with the Z Cam e2 out, I can’t see why Blackmagic wouldn’t have a version similar to it in the making.
Last edited by Chris Chiasson on Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Denny Smith

Re: NAD 2019 Speculation

PostTue Feb 26, 2019 10:57 pm

Chris, it is “NAB” no NAD, which is something entirely different (no active disclosure). NAB (National Association of Broadcasters, not to be confused with NABA, the North American Broadcasters Association) is the convention in Las Vegas. :roll:
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Colourberry

PostTue Feb 26, 2019 11:23 pm

NAD was better

I don't think we will see any of those but from the Ursa mini pro specials we've seen maybe they are looking to move stock before a new Ursa mini pro.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Wayne Steven

PostTue Feb 26, 2019 11:55 pm

Yeah NAD. I've got a bottle of NAD+ around here. Or, did you mean National Association of Directors, certainly a few around here that want to direct us. :D
Last edited by Wayne Steven on Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
aIf you are not truthfully progressive, maybe you shouldn't say anything
bTruthful side topics in-line with or related to, the discussion accepted
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Wayne Steven

PostTue Feb 26, 2019 11:57 pm

Denny, why isn't it called NABA then? NABA your money from your WALLET?
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Wayne Steven

PostWed Feb 27, 2019 12:06 am

Pocket 8k Micro, 8k mini 3D, 6 channels video assist camera controller with wireless 8K 3D Nano heads Moon cameras. Davinci with 3D time tracing render to render the movie you would have made in the future!

Seriously, some of that, like the creepy tripod chair that clings to your back and climbs down every time you sit down, or cones to the front when you want a tripod. With up holder of course, can't let all that "chair space" go to waste in tripod mode.

Chris Chiasson

PostWed Feb 27, 2019 12:08 am

Denny Smith wrote:Chris, it is “NAB” no NAD, which is something entirely different (no active disclosure). NAB (Noth American Broadcasters Association) is the convention in Las Vegas. :roll:
Cheers

Fixed. :D

What can I say. I post first, and spellcheck later because the typos make things funnier.

Denny Smith

PostWed Feb 27, 2019 12:16 am

Wayne Steven wrote:Denny, why isn't it called NABA then? NABA your money from your WALLET?

Good question, but it is actually National Association of Broadcasters, which holds the Las Vegas show. I got my original post wrong way round, NABA is a different group, more of a Canadian, US and Mexico non profit group, and I tend to get them mixed up. The NABA is committed to advancing the interests of broadcasters at home and internationally. They also promote Broadcasting standards (SIMPTE).

Sorry about the confusion, now back to your regular scheduled program. :roll:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Rakesh Malik

Re: NAB 2019 Speculation

PostWed Feb 27, 2019 1:13 am

What I'm hoping for is more HDR stuff... monitors for reference viewing, new color tools for HDR grading, and maybe some control surfaces dedicated to editing in Resolve.

An UltraStudio update would be nice also; one that's compact rather than the overkill 4K Extreme version (overkill for a lot of people :)) but that also has TB3 support with a pass through connection, has HDR support, etc. T'would be a great addition to the lineup.

I'm most curious however about what's coming down the pike for Resolve. It's hard to imagine what BMD could add to that to wallop the post industry with (again).
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Steve Holmlund

PostWed Feb 27, 2019 1:14 am

Chris Chiasson wrote:
Denny Smith wrote:Chris, it is “NAB” no NAD, which is something entirely different (no active disclosure). NAB (Noth American Broadcasters Association) is the convention in Las Vegas. :roll:
Cheers

Fixed. :D

What can I say. I post first, and spellcheck later because the typos make things funnier.

Not to mention the joy it brings to everyone to see Denny finally get to point out typos instead of hearing about his own!
Steve Holmlund
Hobbyist
BMPCC, vintage Rokkor lenses, Olympus 12-40 and 12-100, Panasonic 100-300 II
SmallHD Focus, i7 8700k / GTX 1080

Denny Smith

PostWed Feb 27, 2019 2:04 am

Yes, I am my own worst enemy sometimes... :roll:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Robert DelTour

PostWed Feb 27, 2019 4:12 am

What I would like to see is an update to the EVF that makes it a much more universal system. Have a smaller form factor (i.e. the Tilta or WC mod) with SDI and HDMI so it can work on both the URSA line as well as the Pocket and Mini.

I would also love an overhaul to their monitor line, especially the 17". I would love to see something in the neighborhood of 1000nit with decent enough color that you can use it in the field, and as a grading monitor for Resolve. Have an option to add battery plates, and even a slot to integrate a new Hyperdeck that is capable of BRAW, possibly with two slots. That would make it a really powerful tool in production and post.

Jamie LeJeune

PostWed Feb 27, 2019 4:23 am

Rakesh Malik wrote:What I'm hoping for is more HDR stuff... monitors for reference viewing, new color tools for HDR grading, and maybe some control surfaces dedicated to editing in Resolve.
I'd be shocked if BMD got into the reference monitor game. But, I was shocked (pleasantly shocked) when they announced the original cinema camera : )
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

Wayne Steven

PostWed Feb 27, 2019 5:42 am

Oh well Denny, they still NABs your money. :)

Anyway, excellent point guys reference monitors. It's such a rip off, and I'm for ending it hard to find descent monitor that does good HDR and gamut coverage across the HDR (color volume) at a good price, or virtually any price. There has been solutions for years but the consumer guys have been dragging their feet fur their own vested interests. BMD could get into that s and even partner with Apple. If you offered to sell descent 40-70 inch models, and also one to use as a hone TV at a good price, a number of guys would go for it. Home sales is only supplementary income.

I'll lay out some of the technologies:

Their has been QD colour filters for years, where you can get close to 98% Rec2020. But to get the maximum effect (presumably at lower cost) the LCD needed to be redesigned. But they want to move to printed OLED with QD colour filter and even close down LCD for a major brand. So, no surprise, no QD on LCD which could threaten expensive OLED/MLED investments.

You can literally use the QD colour filters with
the best black control film and two LCD panels adjoining each other. Panasonic did one with near OLED blacks in a single panel, and Hisense has recently shown twin stacked panel prototype. But using the sort of Panels sharp uses, which have 90% light through put, and the black filtering and QD color filter, you might get a near 98% rec2020 grading display at 4000nit. I've been designing new perfect black LCD mechanisms in my head recently. You actually don't even need LCD. Interesting stuff.

The issue is that when the QD colour filtered blue OLED come out, you might get a reference quality Rec2020 1000 nit device. But, it will go only so bright before you need another technology. But, LCD makers should be clamoring for deals once these hit the market at mid price points.

Now, Apple is a company which also might like to sell such a professional display/TV.

Cheap Asian TV and LCD makers have he technology and could go for such a partnership.

So, there is room for BM to release something, and release something special.

Rakesh Malik

PostWed Feb 27, 2019 6:17 am

Jamie LeJeune wrote:
Rakesh Malik wrote:What I'm hoping for is more HDR stuff... monitors for reference viewing, new color tools for HDR grading, and maybe some control surfaces dedicated to editing in Resolve.
I'd be shocked if BMD got into the reference monitor game. But, I was shocked (pleasantly shocked) when they announced the original cinema camera : )

I wouldn't be shocked, but I would be pleasantly surprised because BMD already makes monitors along with a raftload of other devices of varying levels of sophistication like the insane new 4K live switching device (that has a Teranex on every input!?!?!?!?!). And the eGPUs were a surprise, since that was BMD's first foray into computing, and in addition, look at how many potential customers there are already for a grading reference monitor, even a small one -- starting with all of the Resolve Studio users out there, but ending with anyone else who's a startup post house looking for a grading monitor that they can actually afford...

T'would be a big hit if it existed. :)
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Ryan Payne

PostWed Feb 27, 2019 6:50 am

An affordable reference monitor would be amazing. Considering every pocket 4k is coming with resolve studio it'd be an item people are after. Could package it with a mini monitor or deck link.

Kays Alatrakchi

PostWed Feb 27, 2019 7:38 am

Jamie LeJeune wrote:I'd be shocked if BMD got into the reference monitor game.

Why? They make the top grading software in the world. A decent OLED 4K monitor that gives FSI a run for its money at a price range that BMD is known for not only makes complete sense, but I'd say is long overdue.
>>Kays Alatrakchi
Filmmaker based in Los Angeles, CA
http://moviesbykays.com

Resolve 18.1.4, Mac OS X 12.6.3 (Monterey), iMac Pro 64Gb RAM, Decklink Mini 4K, LG C9

Mac Book Air M1, Mac OS X 12.6 (Monterey), 16Gb RAM

Wayne Steven

PostWed Feb 27, 2019 2:34 pm

If BM doesn't, the Panasonic GZ2000 custom OLED would be worth looking at for you guys. It does over 1000 nits apparently, and P3 colour space.

rick.lang

PostWed Feb 27, 2019 2:37 pm

Ditto, Kay’s, as long as it supports HDR better than H10 and the other television kludges like the on-screen relative HDR rather than absolute HDR (sorry forgetting the acronym for it). After the embarrassing exercise with their low cost battery for the BMPCC4K, BMD needs to return to their “low cost but high quality” aspirations that apply to the cameras.

Maybe try another year without releasing a new camera other than a version 2 as suggested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Que Thompson

PostWed Feb 27, 2019 4:30 pm

Hopefully no new cameras. I'd like to see software updates. BRAW for ALL, but especially Pocket 4k. Manufacturing and distribution corrections or improvements... I let myself fall down a YouTube hole last night watching Z Cam E2 reviews and footage. Then I thought to myself... "Why the hell am I even looking at this?" I'm not tempted to sell my Pocket 4k, but it shouldn't even be a question. I was looking to see what the battery life was like and seeing what codecs it had... Idk... I think these days we are way too worried about the latest and greatest. A new camera takes redirects attention from everyone currently on this forum. I don't care what anybody says, you can't focus on more than one thing at a time. That goes for BM as well as myself.

lcollazo23

PostWed Feb 27, 2019 4:42 pm

I'd love to see an EVF for the Pocket 4k

rick.lang

PostWed Feb 27, 2019 7:39 pm

You can say that again. I know difficulties seeing the monitor may be the only complaint I’ll have after I start shooting with the BMPCC4K. I’ll try to build a shade with the plastic cardboard from Michaels with what I have left over from my custom cardboard flags for the matte box.

Rick Lang

Wayne Steven

PostThu Feb 28, 2019 4:25 am

People are getting invitations for Braw events in March, which means maybe a few cameras as NAB.

Honestly, what do you guys expect? They showed the Pocket, and work on it another 6 months or so. :)

timbutt2

PostThu Feb 28, 2019 6:04 am

At this point I can only speculate that an update to the URSA Mini will happen. And, that will be based on some things I’ve said previously about Dual ISO and 120 FPS at 4.6K being the top improvements I would expect to see. Fingers are still crossed for Gyroscope!

And then, DaVinci Resolve 16!!!

"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Que Thompson

PostThu Feb 28, 2019 4:11 pm

I would like to see Davinci Resolve continue to improve... I'd love to tell Adobe to put their NLE where the sun don't shine!

Oyvind Fiksdal

PostThu Feb 28, 2019 5:28 pm

+1 A tiny EVF

Xtreemtec

PostThu Feb 28, 2019 5:57 pm

Rakesh Malik wrote: like the insane new 4K live switching device (that has a Teranex on every input!?!?!?!?!).
I guess we will see a 1ME or 2ME 12G multiscaling input version.. As the 4K Pro but then in a 19"unit. :) But who knows... :P

Rakesh Malik wrote:And the eGPUs were a surprise, since that was BMD's first foray into computing,
You might want to check the early history of BMD. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The company was founded in 2001 by Grant Petty[6] and produced their first product in 2002,[6][7] a capture card for macOS called DeckLink that was the first to offer uncompressed 10-bit video.[7] The company later released new versions of the card[8][9][10][11][12][13] and added color correction capabilities,[14] support for Microsoft Windows,[15] and full support for Adobe Premiere Pro and Microsoft DirectShow.[16] In 2005 the company released several products, including the Multibridge family of PCIe bi-directional converters and the FrameLink family of DPX-based software.[17][18] In 2006 the company released Blackmagic On-Air television production software.[19] In 2009 the company acquired Da Vinci Systems, a company that had won Emmy Awards for film colouring and restoration equipment. In 2010 the company acquired Echolab, a manufacturer of vision mixers. In 2011, the company acquired Teranex, a developer of video processing products.

BMD started out as one of the first companies delivering high quility capture cards for the computers..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Rakesh Malik

PostThu Feb 28, 2019 6:00 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:BMD started out as one of the first companies delivering high quility capture cards for the computers..

Right... cards for computers, but the egpu devices are computing devices, not capture/playback/video processing cards like BMD's previous hardware.
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Colourberry

PostThu Feb 28, 2019 8:06 pm

Que Thompson wrote:I would like to see Davinci Resolve continue to improve... I'd love to tell Adobe to put their NLE where the sun don't shine!
That's easy to do since resolve 15. I embraced it a year ago almost and now when I have to open a premiere project I cringe.

timbutt2

PostThu Feb 28, 2019 9:11 pm

I recently opened Premiere Pro only to check it on my new laptop to ensure it was working fine. Instantly I gasped at how terrible the UI is now. When I left it in 2015-6 for DaVinci Resolve 12 I didn't think the UI was that bad. Now, PPro is a cluttered mess and just terribly built.

I did some further testing since I found how much I loved Resolve 15 with the Touch Bar on the MacBook Pro and found that PPro is inferior in its use of the Touch Bar. Now, I'm still getting used to the Touch Bar and trying to figure out which each symbol really does inside Resolve. However, I'm very impressed with it. Blackmagic Design did a fantastic job utilizing the tool.

Most of the time I'll still edit on the iMac, but it's nice to have the mobile option. And with DaVinci Resolve 16 I expect to see more features in Fusion that would require I do the work on the iMac over the MacBook Pro. Still, I can't wait to continue to work in DaVinci Resolve no matter what.

As far as Adobe goes I look more towards the apps I used for non-video related work such as Illustrator, Photoshop, Lightroom, and Dreamweaver.

I've stated before about my camera suspicions for NAB 2019. Yet I think that there is a valuable lesson to be learned about the innovation coming from one company. Blackmagic changed the camera game in 2012 with the introduction of the 2.5K BMCC, and then changed the editing landscape with Resolve. I'm hoping they do enter the monitor market as well. Especially color grading monitors.

But, I would also love for them to get into the production audio market. I would love for Blackmagic Design to introduce an Audio Recorder and 3 & 5-Channel Mixers that can be used to capture audio on set. It would be fantastic if these Audio Recorders worked great in unison with Blackmagic Cameras. Even made syncing in post a breeze. I see wireless communication between audio recording gear and video recording gear being a huge part of the future of cinema. Just my 2¢.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Denny Smith

PostThu Feb 28, 2019 9:29 pm

Interesting...
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Ellory Yu

PostThu Feb 28, 2019 9:46 pm

Something in between the Pocket 4K and the UMP, both in feature and price (around $2,495).
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

michaeldhead

PostThu Feb 28, 2019 11:12 pm

timbutt2 wrote:I recently opened Premiere Pro only to check it on my new laptop to ensure it was working fine. Instantly I gasped at how terrible the UI is now. .

My 2 cents: Premiere has a completely customizable UI.

For NAB, I hope:
- Ursa Mini Pro 2: 5.7k or 6k, dual ISO

After some talking on here, maybe (but I doubt it)
Pocket 4k Pro: better sensor, same image quality as P4k; 120 FPS/4k; same price as P4k, half-price option for people who purchased the P4k (currently waiting preorders get the new camera).

Both available to ship the week after NAB.
Michael D Head
www.michaeldhead.com
producer/writer/director/DP

Adam Langdon

PostFri Mar 01, 2019 12:29 am

is Dual ISO purely a firmware thing? I can't imagine utilizing that on my UMP. i LOVE the look of BRAW and i've been shooting 12:1 for a while now without any perceivable quality loss.
Ursa Mini 12k +Rawlite - Cinema Camera 6k - SLR Magic APO Microprimes PL/EF - Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 G2 - Aputure Lighting

Jack Fairley

PostFri Mar 01, 2019 2:50 am

Adam Langdon wrote:is Dual ISO purely a firmware thing? I can't imagine utilizing that on my UMP. i LOVE the look of BRAW and i've been shooting 12:1 for a while now without any perceivable quality loss.

No, a dual ISO sensor has extra circuitry to make it happen.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Vess Stoytchev

PostFri Mar 01, 2019 2:52 pm

michaeldhead wrote:For NAB, I hope:
- Ursa Mini Pro 2: 5.7k or 6k, dual ISO

the Pocket just came out, UMP isn't "old". Why the need for more new things? This annual refresh that phones and clothes have is BS, why the need in our field of work?

michaeldhead

PostFri Mar 01, 2019 3:16 pm

Vess Stoytchev wrote:the Pocket just came out, UMP isn't "old". Why the need for more new things? This annual refresh that phones and clothes have is BS, why the need in our field of work?

The Pocket is speculation based on complaints about long delays and information about a new MFT sensor, but I also said "I doubt it".

The UMP came out in 2015 or 2016, right? Three years is actually about average as far as I can tell about for cinema camera refresh times (as opposed to DSLRs, which seems to be every 1-2 years), and with Blackmagic raw there is lots of room for a 6k version that could make some deeper in-roads into the professional production levels.

But remember: this is all about speculation.
Michael D Head
www.michaeldhead.com

Colourberry

PostFri Mar 01, 2019 3:18 pm

Because the UMP low light is not where it could be.

Higher FPS would be a big selling point too.

Rakesh Malik

PostFri Mar 01, 2019 5:06 pm

michaeldhead wrote: and with Blackmagic raw there is lots of room for a 6k version that could make some deeper in-roads into the professional production levels.

The Ursa Mini and Pro are already Netflix approved, what more does it need?

Answer: nothing, at least not for getting approval. Even if BMD let that remain as its flagship for another two years, it wouldn't be losing any ground as a production camera.

I don't think BMD will wait that long to release an update, I'm just saying... it's already there in terms of features and image quality.
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

michaeldhead

PostFri Mar 01, 2019 5:20 pm

I wasn't aware that Netflix was the definition of professional now. If anything I'd say the overwhelming number of Sundance films shot on Alexas should tell us something - including the numerous reports that Ursa Mini footage cuts nearly seamlessly with Alexa footage. How many Netflix originals have been shot on Ursa Minis (I honestly don't know - haven't looked into it)?

Or perhaps it's that James Cameron is shooting the four (?) sequels to one of the most commercially successful films of all time (Avatar) on the 6k Sony VENICE cameras.

But to each his own.

For my part on NAB SPECULATION, I hope BMD releases a 5.7k or 6k version of the UMP with dual ISO and amazing color science, available to ship two weeks after NAB. But I'm just speculating.

PS: The Pocket 4k also meets the requirements for a Netflix PARTNER production, but does that really matter? To me it's just a great camera, and I can't wait for Blackmagic raw to come to it.
Michael D Head
www.michaeldhead.com

Rakesh Malik

PostFri Mar 01, 2019 5:26 pm

michaeldhead wrote:I wasn't aware that Netflix was the definition of professional now.

That's a very closed minded interpretation of what I wrote... and if you aren't aware of the fact that Netflix approval means quite a bit, then you must have been off grid for the last three years?

If anything I'd say the overwhelming number of Sundance films shot on Alexas should tell us something - including the numerous reports that Ursa Mini footage cuts nearly seamlessly with Alexa footage. How many Netflix originals have been shot on Ursa Minis (I honestly don't know - haven't looked into it)?

Take a look at how much influence Netflix has these days. Netflix is the reason that Arri developed a 4K camera... so that DPs didn't have to rent Alexa 65s and window them to 4K just to satisfy the requirements for Netflix partner productions...

Or perhaps it's that James Cameron is shooting the four (?) sequels to one of the most commercially successful films of all time (Avatar) on the 6k Sony VENICE cameras.

Do you have James Cameron's budget? If not, then what does that have to do with anything?

PS: The Pocket 4k also meets the requirements for a Netflix PARTNER production, but does that really matter? To me it's just a great camera, and I can't wait for Blackmagic raw to come to it.

It means that you can use it on a Netflix partner production (provided that Netflix approves it) as an A camera.

It's a great camera even if not, but the bar Netflix has set is pretty high and based on testing rather than specs... so being Netflix approved does say a lot.
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

michaeldhead

PostFri Mar 01, 2019 6:08 pm

Rakesh Malik wrote:That's a very closed minded interpretation of what I wrote... and if you aren't aware of the fact that Netflix approval means quite a bit, then you must have been off grid for the last three years?

Where have I been for the last three years? Paying attention to the fact that there's a huge amount of misunderstanding and misinformation out there about the "Netflix camera list", and frankly the amount of misinformation about it all has gotten to the point that it just ticks me off. I had an exchange with an official representative of a major camera supplier in the US that flat out said, "If you want to sell a film to Netflix, you must use an approved camera."

That is a false statement. Full Stop.

You can shoot your film on just about any camera you want and sell it to Netflix, such as...

Rakesh Malik wrote:Take a look at how much influence Netflix has these days. Netflix is the reason that Arri developed a 4K camera... so that DPs didn't have to rent Alexa 65s and window them to 4K just to satisfy the requirements for Netflix partner productions...

...Mudbound. So you're just going to ignore films like Mudbound, which was shot on the Alexa Mini - which is NOT an "approved partner camera"? Or any number of other Netflix films that they purchased and were not part of the "Netflix partner development"?

Do you know how Alexa put together a 4k camera? They took two of the same sensors in the Mini, rotated them and stuck them together. Did they do it "for Netflix"? Sure, that argument could be made. Does it mean no Alexa Mini shot films are going to be on Netflix from now on? No, of course not.

Rakesh Malik wrote:Do you have James Cameron's budget? If not, then what does that have to do with anything?

That's a very narrow minded interpretation of what I wrote. Perhaps I meant that 8k isn't everything, which was my point. Story and storytellers are what matter.

Rakesh Malik wrote:It means that you can use it on a Netflix partner production (provided that Netflix approves it) as an A camera.

It's a great camera even if not, but the bar Netflix has set is pretty high and based on testing rather than specs... so being Netflix approved does say a lot.

You're missing my point: my point is the misinformation about the "Netflix camera list" has generated.

If you want to shoot something on your iPhone and sell it or show it on Netflix, you can as long as the story is good enough.

I'm a camera geek, and even I know that it's not about the camera you use. I can show you a perfect example of a film "Shot on RED" that demonstrates that having an expensive camera won't make you a better filmmaker.

Please know that I mean no personal offense - I just have a problem with misinformation, and implying that the "Netflix camera list" is the definition of professional is, to me, quite short sighted.

Back to NAB Speculation:
I hope for a 6k UMP with dual ISO available to ship the week after NAB. It could happen.
Michael D Head
www.michaeldhead.com

Rakesh Malik

PostFri Mar 01, 2019 6:24 pm

michaeldhead wrote:I had an exchange with an official representative of a major camera supplier in the US that flat out said, "If you want to sell a film to Netflix, you must use an approved camera."

That is a false statement. Full Stop.

It also has nothing to do with why cameras that are on Netflix' approved list are on Netflix' approved list.

...Mudbound. So you're just going to ignore films like Mudbound, which was shot on the Alexa Mini - which is NOT an "approved partner camera"? Or any number of other Netflix films that they purchased and were not part of the "Netflix partner development"?

Again, irrelevant... since it means nothing new.

Do you know how Alexa put together a 4k camera? They took two of the same sensors in the Mini, rotated them and stuck them together.

If you think it was that simple, then you're far, far out of touch with reality. The pixel design is obviously unchanged, but it IS a new sensor in a new format with updated I/O so that it actually... well, WORKS.

Did they do it "for Netflix"? Sure, that argument could be made. Does it mean no Alexa Mini shot films are going to be on Netflix from now on? No, of course not.

They clearly did, because DPs who wanted to use Alexas on partner productions wanted to be able to use Alexas, but that doesn't make your Alexa Mini comment any more relevant.

That's a very narrow minded interpretation of what I wrote. Perhaps I meant that 8k isn't everything, which was my point. Story and storytellers are what matter.

Nice try at being clever, but you failed again since nowhere have I made any implication that 8K is at all necessary... or even all that big a deal.

You're missing my point: my point is the misinformation about the "Netflix camera list" has generated.

My only point, which you completely missed since you apparently wanted just to create an argument where there wasn't one, is that getting Netflix approval should be enough to convince anyone that it's a professional grade camera... and that you can use it on Netflix partner productions. I didn't say anything about SELLING a film to Netflix, which is a different beast altogether and a different discussion entirely.

Please know that I mean no personal offense - I just have a problem with misinformation, and implying that the "Netflix camera list" is the definition of professional is, to me, quite short sighted.

Nowhere did I say that it was the DEFINITION of professional. It's a level of approval that should however be enough to make anyone looking at one of these cameras happy with its capabilities and not worry about whether or not "it's good enough" or that "professionals use it" or whatever.

Pretending that I'd said a great many things that I hadn't and attacking me for them was, in fact, quite offensive.
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

michaeldhead

PostFri Mar 01, 2019 6:54 pm

Rakesh Malik wrote:
Pretending that I'd said a great many things that I hadn't and attacking me for them was, in fact, quite offensive.

Right back at you, since you are deliberately ignoring and misconstruding what I say clearly (even when you use it in a quote).

And what exactly does this this have to do with your NAB Speculation? I've given mine ideas repeatedly. I'd love to hear your on-topic comments.
Michael D Head
www.michaeldhead.com

Craig Sawyer

PostFri Mar 01, 2019 7:28 pm

I would love to see a Resolve update that finally allows multiple timeline resolutions within a project, and something like Adobe Team Projects where you can push / pull projects remotely. Then it would be goodbye Adobe for our studio!
URSA Mini Pro G1, BMPCC6K x 2, BMPCC4K, ATEM Mini Pro

Colourberry

PostSat Mar 02, 2019 9:32 am

Michael for the win.

Return to Off-Topic