NDI Tecnology

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

silverhawk007@gmail.com

NDI Tecnology

PostWed Jan 09, 2019 2:39 pm

I belive than Blackmagic should have an HDMI to NDI adapter.
Also your mixers should be compatible with NDI Technology.

trekfan42

Re: NDI Tecnology

PostFri Mar 01, 2019 7:20 pm

Seconded, Adding NDI in and out to BLackmagic Switchers would be amazing!!!

Xtreemtec

PostSat Mar 02, 2019 11:53 am

Great BUT BMD has a license with TICO and not with NDI for video over IP.

If you want an NDI video mixer go for Newtek Tricaster, Vmix, OBS or other solutions.
There are plenty of ways to go from NDI to SDI to go into the Atem. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Ian Morrish

PostSun Mar 03, 2019 2:05 am

With Decklink card you can do SDI to NDI and NDI to SDI using free Medialooks software.
Scroll to the bottom of this page https://www.medialooks.com/products/ to downoad.
I have used it to provide wireless ATEM Multiview with touch switching on a Mirosoft Surface
Regards,
Ian Morrish
Video Integrated Scripting Environment
(Windows PowerShell with ATEM driver + more)
https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com

Andrew Martin

PostSun Mar 03, 2019 7:29 pm

There are many NDI converters now coming to market. As Daniel mentions BM already have an IP solution, it uses the Tico protocol as they have partnered with the Tico alliance.
If you need NDI you already have a choice of several hardware and software converters readily available.

From my mobile using Tapatalk

MambaFiber.com

PostMon Mar 04, 2019 1:59 am

Xtreemtec wrote:Great BUT BMD has a license with TICO and not with NDI for video over IP.

No disrespect intended, but i hardly think that TICO in a single product that's hard to setup and use is cause to celebrate, or reason to abandon any other method. Im sold on an idea that video can play network wide like Dante does with audio, and I don't really care which standard it is. What I do care about, and desperately want to see, is devices that support IP video through the entire chain. From camera to switcher to recorder to monitoring to transmission/distribution. We need the whole enchilada whether everyone realises this or not.

BMD...one product?...lets get moving!!

There are several standards floating around, but I've yet to see a path to a full system of IP video yet. I'm not going to buy a bunch of intermediate devices to prop up this idea either. Maybe for an occassional conversion, but certainly not to make my core system work. NDI seems to have made the biggest strides in this area, so why not embraces this no matter what manufacturer you happen to be. After all, brand agnostic is one of Dante's biggest advantages.
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Walter Sonius

PostMon Mar 04, 2019 5:58 pm

Like @Xtreemtec I can say that OBS Studio (since version 23.00) natively supports Decklink/Intensity SDI/HDMI outputs(decklink input was already supported), however it still needs a separate but free available and easy install-able NDI-plugin which will give NDI sources and output support in OBS. Its available for all Major OS, but I tested only Mac OSX and Ubuntu/Debian.

https://obsproject.com/
https://github.com/Palakis/obs-ndi/releases

Jack Fairley

PostMon Mar 04, 2019 7:40 pm

I have 8 router outputs going into a Decklink Quad 2 in a PC running OBS with the NDI plugin. Allows for basically whatever monitoring layout a producer could want. The Medialooks tools are also very good, I've used their Video Transport service before to bring in NDI over WAN.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Brett Casadonte

PostFri Mar 08, 2019 3:56 am

Feels like BMD has some significant stuff in development for IP video, especially given the lack of IP products they have released thus far. The new fiber converters for URSA Broadcast leverage IP video, and Grant even said during the product introduction last year that they are working on IP stuff for the future. I have a feeling they wanted to see where the market was headed a bit, and dipped a toe in the water with their Teranex tico-based IP product. I think that when BM arrives for real in the IP video space, they will deliver a full end-to-end workflow, complete with cameras, switchers, converters, HyperDecks, broadcast panels, video hubs and software so that a customer can fully implement an IP video solution. Bringing it out piecemeal doesn’t seem like a good strategy due to connectivity, interactivity, and workflow issues, so I would envision a big announcement with lots of products when the firmly jump into IP video with both feet. Maybe even at NAB this year???

PS: because NDI has seen such broad adoption, it wouldn’t surprise me if BM adopts it as the basis of its full IP video solution. Having 1 tico based product would not preclude this.
Brett Casadonte
Founder and Techinical Director - GlobeStream Media
http://www.globestreammedia.com
Live Production: on-location and REMI using LiveU
ATEM 2 M/E, 1 M/E, TV Studio Pro 4k, BM URSA Broadcast, & Studio/Micro Studio Cameras

Claudio Cohen

PostWed Apr 29, 2020 3:33 am

Jack Fairley wrote:I have 8 router outputs going into a Decklink Quad 2 in a PC running OBS with the NDI plugin. Allows for basically whatever monitoring layout a producer could want. The Medialooks tools are also very good, I've used their Video Transport service before to bring in NDI over WAN.

Can you explain how can you achieve 8 separated NDI outputs to decklink using OBS? I'm using a mac and I can only output program o preview.

Thanks

Walter Sonius

PostThu Apr 30, 2020 7:23 pm

It seems possible to use a NDI "filter" to create a "Dedicated Output" on each (decklink)source besides the regular OBS NDI "PROGRAM" or "PREVIEW" outputs. Palakis recently released a MacOS update: https://github.com/Palakis/obs-ndi/releases

Al Slamecka

PostFri May 01, 2020 2:05 pm

The big advantage NDI has is it's broad adoption and inclusion in many products. Supporting NDI would make BMD products more attractive to a broader audience IMO.

NDI's rapid adoption reminds me of how fast Dante became a standard for IP audio distribution despite being proprietary and carrying a pretty hefty licensing fee. By comparison, AVB (IEEE Audio Video Bridging - a protocol approach for both IP audio and video) is free and developed by a standards organization but suffers for many reasons that are not worth debating in this thread. :D I find it a little ironic that NDI's rapid uptake has made Dante's recent foray into IP video a very difficult proposition.

What I'd really like to know is whether the Magewell or BirdDog HDMI to NDI encoders support bidirectional transmission of the Pocket Camera control protocol data that's output over HDMI by the ATEM Mini / Mini Pro. Extending the reach of these protocols would be a game changer for live productions when the cameras need to be more than 20 feet away from the switcher. Hope someone from Magewell or Birddog reads these forums, or someone with all the necessary gear could test and report back.

Unfortunately, you'd need one of these devices for every NDI source you'd want to feed into the switcher. I'd love to see a 3rd party create an NDI to HDMI aggregator device with a 10GB LAN NDI port (Ethernet or Optical) and 4 HDMI outs to feed the ATEM Mini. Streams would be routed to outputs by software control and there'd be support for the Pocket Cam control protocol. Sell it for $995 and I think it could be quite popular!

I can dream can't I? :D

Xtreemtec

PostFri May 01, 2020 2:38 pm

Nope BD and Magwell do not support those commands as it isn't part of the NDI protocol ;) ;) Just forget about it and use it as it was intended too.. 8-)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Live Production