Braw on Windows / Using VLC to review footage

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

blacklevite

PostWed Mar 06, 2019 1:04 pm

After through searches online I really am still failing to do simple things which I wish someone may help me with a step by step of:

1. Using SDK's (or whatever they are called) to play Blackmagic Raw on PC

2. Use VLC media (or any other simple player) to play other codecs like Prores;

In other words all I need to do is to be able to review my footage before I begin importing it in Resolve or Premiere.

Andrew Kolakowski

Re: Braw on Windows / Using VLC to review footage

PostWed Mar 06, 2019 5:00 pm

I don't think there is anything like simple player for PC to play BM RAW.
There is simple player on Mac, but on PC you need to use Resolve.
The simplest player would be Assimilate Play Pro, but it costs few $.

Hendrik Proosa

PostTue Mar 12, 2019 5:56 am

I started writing a basic braw player for Win, people who are interested can chime in for increased motivation. Also, what kind of functionality would one expect at first, in the basic featureless player?

For a little bit of background, I wrote braw reader plugin for Nuke some time ago when SDK was released, so I have at least mild experience with it. You can check out two small intro videos for Nuke braw decoder on my Vimeo site http://www.vimeo.com/kaldera
I do stuff.

Robert Baker

PostTue Mar 12, 2019 9:56 pm

Hendrik Proosa wrote:I started writing a basic braw player for Win, people who are interested can chime in for increased motivation. Also, what kind of functionality would one expect at first, in the basic featureless player?

For a little bit of background, I wrote braw reader plugin for Nuke some time ago when SDK was released, so I have at least mild experience with it. You can check out two small intro videos for Nuke braw decoder on my Vimeo site http://www.vimeo.com/kaldera

Can it play audio and video and have the option to scrub through the footage would be the basic requirements I would need [ask for].

Future development could offer the ability to add LUTs to see what the footage would look like graded. While we are on it perhaps the ability to insert In/Out points and save them to metadata that can be imported right into Resolve. And if there is more time how about the option to do quick edits on a file without having to re-render it! Then perhaps the ability to search for key words using the ability to extrapolate text from audio to get to specific moments in the recording.

Ok, maybe that last one is going a bit too far... But the others are do able?
Small List of my current toolset:

BMPCC6k - EVA1 - GH5 - Canon R - DaVinci Resolve Studio - Adobe CC - Sony Soundforge 11 - Izotope RX7 - Izotope Elements

Hendrik Proosa

PostFri Mar 15, 2019 10:53 am

So I started writing it and something is starting to take shape:
brawplayer.jpg
brawplayer.jpg (192.62 KiB) Viewed 37184 times

I'm not sure about sound, haven't done much sound stuff, but I'll try to get something working. Playback itself works now, and changing settings etc. Currently on CPU only, will look into enabling GPU decoding soon. UI has buttons for trimming and sidecar export but that is something for future too.
I do stuff.

MishaEngel

PostFri Mar 15, 2019 2:53 pm

Hendrik, you are the man.

Robert Baker

PostFri Mar 15, 2019 11:08 pm

Hendrik Proosa wrote:So I started writing it and something is starting to take shape:

I'm not sure about sound, haven't done much sound stuff, but I'll try to get something working. Playback itself works now, and changing settings etc. Currently on CPU only, will look into enabling GPU decoding soon. UI has buttons for trimming and sidecar export but that is something for future too.

:) :) :) :)
Small List of my current toolset:

BMPCC6k - EVA1 - GH5 - Canon R - DaVinci Resolve Studio - Adobe CC - Sony Soundforge 11 - Izotope RX7 - Izotope Elements

Andrew Kolakowski

PostFri Mar 15, 2019 11:58 pm

Hendrik Proosa wrote:So I started writing it and something is starting to take shape:
brawplayer.jpg

Looks good.
Maybe an option to hide settings area, but keep simple timeline would be good (as well as full screen).

Hendrik Proosa

PostSat Mar 16, 2019 7:28 am

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:Looks good.
Maybe an option to hide settings area, but keep simple timeline would be good (as well as full screen).

Yep, already thought about it. I'm currently doing some UI stuff and keyboard shortcuts, will add this too. And then I'll see performance side, at the moment I'm using very simple opengl and it seems that moving frame to gpu texture is kind of slow, but will switch to PBOs for asynchronous data streaming so that only limiting factor will be decoder itself.
I do stuff.

Norbert Seynhaeve

PostSat Mar 16, 2019 9:46 am

Hi,
Do you intend to do some stuff for FINAL CUT PRO X - APPE .
THANKS

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSat Mar 16, 2019 11:24 am

Hendrik Proosa wrote:
Andrew Kolakowski wrote:Looks good.

Yep, already thought about it. I'm currently doing some UI stuff and keyboard shortcuts, will add this too. And then I'll see performance side, at the moment I'm using very simple opengl and it seems that moving frame to gpu texture is kind of slow, but will switch to PBOs for asynchronous data streaming so that only limiting factor will be decoder itself.

Don't know much about it, but SDI cards do use PBOs, so it sounds like the way to go.
Is there timecode in BM RAW? Maybe another option would be to switch from frames to TC for timeline.
Also to make GUI clean- maybe it's enough to have "Update Sidecar" and "Trim and Export". I think this is descriptive enough.

Li Chenghan

PostSat Mar 16, 2019 1:35 pm

brawplayer.jpg

I am very much looking forward to it, it looks very functional. :D
12-Core AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1920X, 3700 MHz (37 x 100)
Asus ROG Strix X399-E Gaming
GeForce RTX 2070 GAMING Z 8G
G.SKILL DDR4-3200 CL16 32G
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 1909
Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K/BRAW 3:1 5:1

deezid

PostSat Mar 16, 2019 5:32 pm

brawplayer.jpg

Looks great!
Does it use Direct3D or OpenGL or Vulkan for video acceleration?
So I could use it on Linux via Wine with fluid playback. :)
Download my 55M Advanced Luts for the Pocket 4K and 6K and UMP12K here:
https://55media.net/55mluts/

Hendrik Proosa

PostSun Mar 17, 2019 10:46 am

Render surface uses opengl, it should be as universal as it gets. PBOs will somewhat raise the profile version but any computer functional today should have no problems with it.

Braw files have quite a lot of metadata in them, TC included, so I'll try to get switching between TC and frames going soon.

I'll move those button actions to menu instead, they don't need screen space at all. I'll probably use that space for some other, more relevant functions (viewer gain, gamma, LUT etc) or just give settings sliders more space.

About FCX and Apple, I don't know anything about macs so most probably not.
I do stuff.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSun Mar 17, 2019 7:25 pm

I've just noticed "worrying" situation.
BM RAW SDK in Resolve is at v 1.3, but public one is at 1.1 (or I can't find 1.3)
Does it mean that some (shot today on updated cameras) BM RAW files won't work with app which is based on SDK 1.1?
If this is the case then it's very bad for any integration. If I have eg. Scratch or other tool with BM RAW support I won't be able to work with BM RAW until BM finally releases SDK 1.3? This doesn't forecast big love for BM RAW in general audience.

Hendrik Proosa

PostSun Mar 17, 2019 9:27 pm

Unless they are deliberately breaking compatibility, minor version changes shouldn't in theory affect decoding, probably you just can't access some newer functionality. But I haven't looked into it in detail. Given that Resolve itself is in constant beta state and people are beta testers, braw probably is in volatile state also.
I do stuff.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSun Mar 17, 2019 9:57 pm

This is the hope, but I've seen reports about broken BM RAW playback and BM asking to use latest Resolve.
Maybe someone can post few samples from cameras with latest firmware, so you can have reference files.

Hendrik Proosa

PostMon Mar 18, 2019 7:49 am

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:This is the hope, but I've seen reports about broken BM RAW playback and BM asking to use latest Resolve.
Maybe someone can post few samples from cameras with latest firmware, so you can have reference files.

This is very good idea! Braw samples from different cameras and firmware versions could be great source for other tests and tinkering also. They could be gathered in separate (pinned) thread maybe, I believe there is no such thread at the moment?
I do stuff.

Hendrik Proosa

PostMon Mar 18, 2019 11:14 am

A quick illustration about what kind of metadata is available from braw file:
brawplayer_v02.jpg
brawplayer_v02.jpg (182.38 KiB) Viewed 36943 times
I do stuff.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostMon Mar 18, 2019 3:26 pm

Keep it like this with shortcut key to toggle on/off :)
Maybe remove the ones which are in the GUI?

Just for info. MTI Film had just added support fro BM RAW and ProRes RAW into latest Cortex version. So both RAW new formats are starting to be rolled out to more tools. Looks like ProRes RAW (silly) exclusive time is gone (update: apparently this is not the case and it's not that easy to get ProRes RAW SDK).
Last edited by Andrew Kolakowski on Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Mar 19, 2019 1:08 pm

Got some information that new files should work with old SDK engines (you just don't have access to LUT as you mentioned). Companies involved in BM RAW integration do have access to SDK 1.3. I would prefer if it would be publicly available, but not end of the world.

Hendrik Proosa

PostTue Mar 19, 2019 1:17 pm

So much for open standard and whatnot.

Anyway, I made a short demo of current version, goes through most working features. No audio (I don't have microphone at hand), so choose music to your liking:
I do stuff.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Mar 19, 2019 1:29 pm

Looking very good.
Some suggestions:
Braw tools is somehow misleading name- maybe "Player options"? Some of those setting may go to Preference tab as well.
Viewer bit depth - I assume this is beta, but end user wants to rather see 8bit/16bit/Float (Unit16 doesn't tell much for most people).
Some setting for 25%/50%/100% size would be nice.
Great work. Nice and simple.
I assume you're planning to sell it?
Last edited by Andrew Kolakowski on Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hendrik Proosa

PostTue Mar 19, 2019 1:37 pm

Good ideas, I'll put them in. Bit depth setting currently mirrors braw sdk resource formats, which is the internal format it gives out, but I'll change the names.

I'm not too sure what to do with it, maybe I'll put the basic version up for free and accept donations and add some bells and whistles to it for a small charge.
I do stuff.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Mar 19, 2019 3:25 pm

Up to you :)

Actually Viewer bit depth is misleading as well as it suggest preview surface quality. I assume this is processing pipe quality, so should be re-named to eg. "Decoding/Processing precision".

Hendrik Proosa

PostTue Mar 19, 2019 3:53 pm

It actually changes the opengl texture format also, so it isn't that wrong. I added it to test if changing decode buffer format would make texture uploads and updates faster, but haven't really tested it.
I do stuff.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Mar 19, 2019 3:59 pm

Ok- this is different case then, but this still won't work on all GPUs. 10bit OpenGL surface is supported only on pro cards as far as I know, no? In order to say that preview is actually 10bit whole chain must be properly configured (up to proper 10bit monitor).

Hendrik Proosa

PostTue Mar 19, 2019 4:12 pm

You won't get anything beyond 8bit out of monitor on most machines, but what render surface bit depth gives is for example precision of pixel sampling (for possible pixel/area sampler tool etc). But yes, I understand what you mean, someone might think their monitor magically turns into high bit depth hdri display :D
I do stuff.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Mar 19, 2019 4:19 pm

This is why better to call it processing/decoding precision :) (and keep possible 10bit OpenGL surface as separate option/thing). Assimilate Scratch allows for 10bit preview surface on pro cards for example.

Ola Haldor Voll

PostThu Mar 28, 2019 9:48 am

As far as I know, 10-bit is available on GTX 10-series and RTX 20-series too, not only pro cards?
When I got my 1080 I was surprised, and happy, to see I could output 10-bit to my computer monitor. :)

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu Mar 28, 2019 12:32 pm

GTX series has no 10bit support for OpenGL surface, only DirectX.

Hendrik Proosa

PostMon Apr 15, 2019 12:19 pm

I haven't had time to do something with my small player for a few weeks but now I took a few hours to port it to SDK version 1.3. This change brought some new options for gamma and gamut, for example it is now possible to ask ACES and DCI gamuts and also pure CIE XYZ data. Highlight recovery option also came somewhere between version 1.0 and 1.3 but I don't really understand what it does, setting it on does not change anything in image. There are also black and white level settings and "use video black level", but what that does, don't know yet (possibly I have a bug in handling checkbox values).

Anyway, some illustrative images of new settings and UI:
brawplayer_v04_gamma.jpg
brawplayer_v04_gamma.jpg (21.9 KiB) Viewed 36305 times

brawplayer_v04_gamut.jpg
brawplayer_v04_gamut.jpg (18.96 KiB) Viewed 36305 times

brawplayer_v04.jpg
brawplayer_v04.jpg (206.36 KiB) Viewed 36305 times
I do stuff.

Hendrik Proosa

PostTue Apr 16, 2019 8:08 am

For fun I added a gamut diagram yesterday evening. Work in progress, doesn't do much else than just plots all frame pixels. I should make it semitransparent or separate window and add some background graphics like axis and horseshoe line. GPU accelerated, realtime, very innovative!

brawplayer_v05_gamutviewer.jpg
brawplayer_v05_gamutviewer.jpg (138.71 KiB) Viewed 36258 times
I do stuff.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Apr 16, 2019 8:13 am

If you play with those overlays then other scopes are more useful, eg. Parade.

Hendrik Proosa

PostTue Apr 16, 2019 9:05 am

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:If you play with those overlays then other scopes are more useful, eg. Parade.

Yes, I could add others too, it is pretty easy to create a scope once data is in expected format. If I get the transforms part working, I can do other scopes aswell. RGB parades etc don't need transforms at all, so they are easier than gamut plot. Plotting itself is done in glsl shader which is fed with image pixel data through VBO directly so it is pretty fast. My test footage has 10M+ pixels so gamut plot displays 10+ million points in realtime.

But I should get gpu decoding and audio working first, these are a bit more relevant than some random plot :)
I do stuff.

RealSting

PostWed Apr 17, 2019 9:59 am

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:If you play with those overlays then other scopes are more useful, eg. Parade.

Why do you think they are more useful?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Late 2013 (Trashcan) MacPro
8 Core/32GB RAM/D700 GPU/1GB System SSD HDD
8 TB G-TECH RAID 0 Thunderbolt Ext. HDD (Media drive)
Focusrite 2i2 AI
27” Apple Retinal Display
Tangent Ripple Colour Surface
OSX Catalina (latest version) - Resolve Studio 17 beta

Andrew Kolakowski

PostWed Apr 17, 2019 10:53 am

How useful is gamut plot preview compared to Parade?

RealSting

PostWed Apr 17, 2019 11:30 am

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:How useful is gamut plot preview compared to Parade?

You tell me.. (i’m not criticising you I’m just asking a simple question because I’m new to da Vinci resolve and not used this gamut tool).

Thanks.

Focusrite 2i2 AI

RealSting

PostWed Apr 17, 2019 11:35 am

MishaEngel wrote:Hendrik, you are the man.

Jimi Hendrix was definitely the man!!

Focusrite 2i2 AI

Hendrik Proosa

PostWed Apr 17, 2019 12:05 pm

Gamut plot isn't very useful unless you have some specific interest in where your data lies on chromaticity diagram. As it is now in Resolve also, I think it could be helpful in toppling some pretty common misunderstandings about gamut. For example that changing exposure changes your gamut (I have heard that a lot of times) or that any random operation on your image (shifting hues or whatnot) can push it outside working space gamut. Unless one has negative values in their image data (or produces them), one can not go beyond its working space gamut with any image operation.
I do stuff.

Joshua_G

PostThu Apr 18, 2019 10:47 am

Hendrik Proosa wrote:I haven't had time to do something with my small player for a few weeks but now I took a few hours to port it to SDK version 1.3.
Great job, Hendrik. Any downloadable for v 1.3?
DaVinci Resolve Studio (latest stable) / Windows 10 Pro x64 / AMD 1920X / 32GB RAM / RX Vega56 8G.
BMPCC 6K + BMPCC 6K Pro.
Retired electronics technician and sound engineer, long-time amateur photographer, beginner hobbyist filmmaker for personal uses.

Hendrik Proosa

PostThu Apr 18, 2019 12:16 pm

Joshua_G wrote:Great job, Hendrik. Any downloadable for v 1.3?

I haven't put it up because I don't have GPU decoding working yet and without it playback at full res is kind of slow (depends on cpu ofcourse and one can always use lower res decode) but when I get that working, I'll upload version somewhere. It will be "if it breaks, you get to keep the pieces" kind of version ofcourse, but maybe it will be useful for someone as it is.
I do stuff.

Cameron Porter

PostTue Apr 23, 2019 11:12 pm

This is awesome, Hendrik. I would love to know when there's a downloadable version. Thanks!

Mark Vanderpol

PostTue May 21, 2019 11:54 am

Any news on how this program is coming along?
AMD Ryzen 1700X
16GB 3000Mhz Ram
GTX 780 3GB
Samsung 850 Evo: 2x500GB 1X2TB

Exile1981

PostThu Jul 11, 2019 10:47 pm

Ive been using

Braw viewer, found it through youtube
.youtube.com/watch?v=YfJnSErTaqQ

It's very basic, no full screen, no audio but good enough for review.

Hope this helps!

Greetings,
John

Hendrik Proosa

PostFri Jul 12, 2019 6:15 pm

You might want to take a look at this thread too, my Braw Player project:
https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=92559
I do stuff.

Return to Post Production