Camera Converters and Embedded Audio

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Zach Schuster

Camera Converters and Embedded Audio

PostSun Feb 17, 2019 10:43 pm

I have been using a Studio Converter and 4 Camera Converters for about 4 months now. Overall I like them but I have one issue in particular that is pretty annoying.

I plug a shotgun mic in to one of my cameras and then connect HD-SDI to the converter. Then in the truck I use the analog audio output of the Studio Converter to get the audio to my mixer. However, because of limited inputs on my mixer, I only take the Left channel from the Studio Converter to the mixer.

My issue is that it's a roll of the dice on whether LEFT audio (XLR IN 1) on camera comes out as left on the Studio Converter. I'm constantly having to plug the crowd mic in to XLR 2 on the camera (which would be "Right" channel) to get audio to output on the left out of the Studio Converter. And then the next time we set up it works exactly as expected... or we set up on XLR 2 and end up having to switch back to XLR 1...

Sometimes a power cycle of the camera converter fixes it, so I think it's a problem with the camera converter. It has occurred on multiple converters, but I cannot say for certain if it is happening on all of them.

Admittedly, I have not checked for a firmware update yet. These were brand new in November. I'm curious is anyone else has encountered this issue.
Zach Schuster
SuiteCG- An All-in-One Graphics System for Live Sports
www.suitecg.com

Xtreemtec

Re: Camera Converters and Embedded Audio

PostTue Feb 19, 2019 1:29 pm

Not really the recommended way.. But use an Y split cable on the mic side.. Now you have audio on both channels ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Hakan Taube Lyxzen

PostWed Mar 13, 2019 7:47 am

This has been a problem at least since 2015.
For us it happens when we power down the camera so you could try to take out the sdi signal and put it back again.
On some cameras you can choose the same xlr-input on both channel 1 and 2. Check if you have one of those cameras.
Hakan Taube Lyxzen
prostreaming.se

Miguel Martinez

PostFri Mar 15, 2019 9:22 pm

Good, I already asked for that same problem a long time ago, because it also happens to me, the solution is to turn on the atem converter with the audio already connected, when you connect with the camera without audio 1 on the left channel the atem passes channel 2 on the right to the left, you have to turn on the connected audio, so I solve that problem.

Return to Live Production