Help in setting up a live stream

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

pixelzygote

Help in setting up a live stream

PostTue Mar 12, 2019 4:30 pm

Greetings!

I have a client that has an event that we have shot (3 cameras, traditional edit) for years, mostly for archive. This year they want to live stream it as well, however, they really don't have that much more in the budget. I will be shooting with a C100mk2 and Canon xa-10 (HDMI) and possible 5dmk4, 6d, etc. I am a total noob as to pro live streaming.

I thought that maybe I could make the investment in the following and record the live stream to save the bulk of the edit costs.

ATEM Television Studio Switcher into...
AjA Utap (seems to work slightly better than web presenter?) into...

MSI GV62 laptop (GTX1050ti 4g, 8gig sys ram) that I already have (hardwired into the venue's network over cat6?).

Also, would it be possible to record the stream on the laptop, or should I purchase a deck (or an external like BMD video assist) as well? Any assistance or knowledge on any potential "gotchas" would be most helpful.

Thank you for your time!
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor
MSI Prestige X570 Creation Motherboard
G.SKILL Trident Z Neo (for AMD Ryzen) Series 64GB
MSI Ge_Force GTX 2080 8gig
Win 10 Pro
Studio 17 latest build

Kevin Copeland

Re: Help in setting up a live stream

PostTue Mar 12, 2019 5:12 pm

A simple hardware solution is the Teradek VidiU Pro. It is a streaming encoder with the ability to also record H.264 on an SD card. Very solid and doesn't take up your computer resources. I prefer a hardware solution as opposed to capturing on a computer.

Or you can record video with the BMD Hyperdeck Studio Mini. It will also playback as well. These record on SD cards in a variety of formats, even H.264 if you give it the right signal.

pixelzygote

PostWed Mar 13, 2019 1:02 pm

Thank you Kevin! Appreciate the input and if I had more of these gigs that might be perfect. But if I am going to drop the cash, I think I would do something like an Atmos Ninja in the mix because that would be more useful on other projects.

Thank you again!
Win 10 Pro
Studio 17 latest build

Andrew Martin

PostWed Mar 13, 2019 6:54 pm

Yep, ur atem/ U-tap/ laptop idea should work out fine.
Stream to YouTube or Facebook to save on server costs

Wouldn't suggest recording on the lappy though. Disc speeds need to be blisteringly fast and a std. lappy drive prob. isn't gonna cut it, recording at HD.
But should handle the streaming side ok.

Saying that I'm a big fan of having dedicated hardware to do it's own job.
So a standalone streaming device would be my normal reply. but because of the one-off and if the budget isn't there, you gotta go with what is.

Just remember when considering an Atem, all the Res and frame rates need to match. You'll need to set ur cameras to the one format that the Atem is set to work with.

Maybe also look at vmix software they have a 30day free trial it'll run with the U-tap so maybe feed the Atem into it and use this to add bugs, overlays, titles etc. just to help it "pop" a little

From my mobile using Tapatalk

pixelzygote

PostFri Mar 15, 2019 2:59 pm

Thank you Andrew! Especially for pointing out Vmix. Looks great! I think I can even get by with the "Basic HD" Package. However, I think due to the now even tighter budget, I will be going with the BM Web Presenter and the panel. So...

C100 over HDMI into BM Web Presenter (audio from PA mixer, mono)
XA10 to BM SDI converter into BM Web Presenter
BM Web Presenter to MSI laptop into Vmix
Vmix to web (YouTube live?) over Cat6 to Venues router

Anyone see any possible challenges, gotchas, etc. with this set up? Any insights are very, very much appreciated!

Thanks again to this knowledgeable community!

/\/\.
Win 10 Pro
Studio 17 latest build

Brett Casadonte

PostSat Mar 16, 2019 1:44 am

Couple quick notes...

The Web Presenter is designed to only send 720p video over USB to a laptop application... 1) make sure that 720p is appropriate for your project (and that 1080p is not expected), and 2) that Vmix supports video input over USB from the Web Presenter. There are applications that do not support Web Presenter or have had issues with various versions of its software.

You may also consider Wirecast from Telestream. It is an excellent software-based vision mixer which could be applicable to your project as well. Not free, but worth the investment with much better overall features / interface than Vmix IMO.
Brett Casadonte
Founder and Techinical Director - GlobeStream Media
http://www.globestreammedia.com
Live Production: on-location and REMI using LiveU
ATEM 2 M/E, 1 M/E, TV Studio Pro 4k, BM URSA Broadcast, & Studio/Micro Studio Cameras

Bernard-U2UC

PostSat Mar 16, 2019 7:20 am

For information, I use the MXLight sofware with my ATEM TS and its PROG USB 2.0 signal (already encoded by the ATEM) sent back to my control PC. A little bit tricky in the parameters setting but very cheap software, with a good support.
Bernard

Andrew Martin

PostSun Mar 17, 2019 10:31 am

A personal opinion, but aren't they all

I found the WP to be very lacking. In fact I consider it a 'toy' with its intended use case of those that play YouTube in their spare bedroom. not fit for purpose in the usecase of paid work.

Please don't take it as a personal hit. Im simply airing my opinion of the product.

Some web searching might explain why...
web presenter site:forum.blackmagicdesign.com

From my mobile using Tapatalk

Return to Live Production