Lost Audio

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

CrashLanding2

Lost Audio

PostSat Mar 09, 2019 8:35 pm

My Resolve seems to have lost audio. It was working perfectly. I have been rendering my short project and everything was working perfectly. I didn't do very much to cause the problem.
I have a small project with several clips and an audio clip. I am not sure exactly when the problem occurred. The one thing I did was, after a successful render with AAC audio, I changed the audio type to LPCM. I rendered the timeline, put it through Hybrid to give it HDR metadata. Then I used DVDFab to make a 4K HDR Video blu ray disk. Everything worked but there was no sound. This was the second 4K Blu Ray I made. I made the first with AAC audio, but I am not sure if I actually checked the audio at that time, and now I have deleted that file. When I discovered there was no audio on the disk, I checked the original file rendered from Resolve and found it does not play with sound. That is when I switched back to AAC audio and rendered again. I checked the file and found it also had no audio. I went to Resolve and found it is not playing the sound when I play the timeline. It also won't play from Fairlight, or from the media gallery. None of the meters are moving. When I play the timeline, gallery or in Fairlight, I can just barely hear some noise, which sounds slightly like clicking. I tried playing a wave file with Windows media player and it plays normally. I tried playing the original audio file on my timeline with media player and it plays normally. I have opened and closed resolve, rebooted the computer, and more and noting helps. I am running Resolve Studio 15 on a Windows 10 computer.
Yesterday I was rendering my project and about 30 seconds before completing, Windows shut itself down without warning, to do some updates. This could be what caused the problem.
But like I said, I am not sure exactly when this problem ocurred because I was doing purely video things. What I may do next is see how many of the big files I deleted may still be in the Recycle Bin to see when the audio went out as that could help me know what I may have done to cause the problem.
Of course I have checked all the settings I can find and everything seems to be right.
What do i do ?

CrashLanding2

Re: Lost Audio

PostSat Mar 09, 2019 9:09 pm

I just checked the deleted files in the recycle bin and it seems the unexpected shutdown by Windows didn't cause the problem. The shutdown happened at or just after 4:03 PM as that is the time on the corrupt file left by the shutdown. One file I rendered later has sound. So now it appears that changing the output from AAC audio to LPCM is what made audio stop working. That is the only change I know I made. The only other possibility I can think of is that I accidentally changed something. If Resolve uses keyboard shortcuts, it is slightly possible I hit a key and caused the problem.

CrashLanding2

PostSat Mar 09, 2019 9:33 pm

I did another test. I started a new project and imported the same audio wave file. It doesn't play from timeline, media or Fairlight.

CrashLanding2

PostMon Mar 11, 2019 6:05 pm

I uninstalled Resolve Studio 15.2.2.3, downloaded and installed Studio 15.3
I then loaded my project and...still no audio playback. Still hear very quiet noise like clicking, popping or moaning during playback.

I think what I should have done is not load my project and instead start a new project, load an audio file, and see if it plays. I really hate uninstalling and re-installing. There must be some setting in resolve that changed. But I have spent several days looking for a wrong setting and can't find one.

xunile

PostMon Mar 11, 2019 6:15 pm

CrashLanding2 wrote:My Resolve seems to have lost audio. It was working perfectly. I have been rendering my short project and everything was working perfectly. I didn't do very much to cause the problem.
I have a small project with several clips and an audio clip. I am not sure exactly when the problem occurred. The one thing I did was, after a successful render with AAC audio, I changed the audio type to LPCM. I rendered the timeline, put it through Hybrid to give it HDR metadata. Then I used DVDFab to make a 4K HDR Video blu ray disk. Everything worked but there was no sound. This was the second 4K Blu Ray I made. I made the first with AAC audio, but I am not sure if I actually checked the audio at that time, and now I have deleted that file. When I discovered there was no audio on the disk, I checked the original file rendered from Resolve and found it does not play with sound. That is when I switched back to AAC audio and rendered again. I checked the file and found it also had no audio. I went to Resolve and found it is not playing the sound when I play the timeline. It also won't play from Fairlight, or from the media gallery. None of the meters are moving. When I play the timeline, gallery or in Fairlight, I can just barely hear some noise, which sounds slightly like clicking. I tried playing a wave file with Windows media player and it plays normally. I tried playing the original audio file on my timeline with media player and it plays normally. I have opened and closed resolve, rebooted the computer, and more and noting helps. I am running Resolve Studio 15 on a Windows 10 computer.
Yesterday I was rendering my project and about 30 seconds before completing, Windows shut itself down without warning, to do some updates. This could be what caused the problem.
But like I said, I am not sure exactly when this problem ocurred because I was doing purely video things. What I may do next is see how many of the big files I deleted may still be in the Recycle Bin to see when the audio went out as that could help me know what I may have done to cause the problem.
Of course I have checked all the settings I can find and everything seems to be right.
What do i do ?

I would suggest going to the properties of your sound on Windows 10 and making sure that the Audio sample rate is set to 48 kHz.
Attachments
2019-03-11 (4).png
2019-03-11 (4).png (213.17 KiB) Viewed 10294 times
Win 10 Home | Intel i7 - 10700f 64 GB 1 TB GB SSD 2 TB SSD
RTX-3060 12 GB | Resolve Studio 18.6.6| Fusion Studio 18.6.6

Win 10 Home | Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB | Resolve 17.4.6

Jean Claude

PostMon Mar 11, 2019 6:42 pm

As long as you change settings:
the best is: 24 bits (vs 16 bits), 48000 Hz (if hardware support :) )

Safe.
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

CrashLanding2

PostMon Mar 11, 2019 8:43 pm

I checked the device settings as suggested. It was set to 16bit 48KHz. The test sound plays. Of course, the original 16 bit 48 KHz wave file does play from Windows Media Player, and it did play from Resolve Studio until this problem appeared. 16/48 is my standard for video because that is the type of audio I create and use. 20/48 is my equipment limit (mixer).

xunile

PostTue Mar 12, 2019 12:20 am

CrashLanding2 wrote:I checked the device settings as suggested. It was set to 16bit 48KHz. The test sound plays. Of course, the original 16 bit 48 KHz wave file does play from Windows Media Player, and it did play from Resolve Studio until this problem appeared. 16/48 is my standard for video because that is the type of audio I create and use. 20/48 is my equipment limit (mixer).

Have you tried checking the preferences under the Davinci Resolve menu in the upper left. Then click on the Video and IO settings. Check under the speaker setup.
Attachments
2019-03-11 (5).png
2019-03-11 (5).png (282.43 KiB) Viewed 10259 times
Win 10 Home | Intel i7 - 10700f 64 GB 1 TB GB SSD 2 TB SSD
RTX-3060 12 GB | Resolve Studio 18.6.6| Fusion Studio 18.6.6

Win 10 Home | Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB | Resolve 17.4.6

CrashLanding2

PostTue Mar 12, 2019 4:58 pm

I had forgotten about that menu. I have not changed these settings, and audio was working before. Here is what is selected in this menu:
For capture and playback use: Decklink 4K Extreme 12 G
For Resolve Live Use: Decklink 4K Extreme 12 G
Audio Interface: MADI
Audio Monitoring Delay: 0 ms
Speaker Configuration: Use system setting
Device:Decklink 4K Extreme 12 G
Use System Audio Output is checked
Monitor Set Format: Stereo
Should I change any of these ? Remember, Resolve audio was working. Media Player does play the wave file used in my video project.
Just now I tried playing my timeline in Resolve...I hear the faint noise that sounds somewhat like a geiger counter clicking. I opened Wavelab and loaded that same wave file. It plays. I closed Wavelab and then played the same wave file in Windows Media Player (Groove Music). It plays. Then I hit play in Resolve again. Only clicking.

CrashLanding2

PostWed Mar 13, 2019 5:14 pm

I just wrote a long report and when I submitted it, the internet was not working and I lost all my work. I should have copied it before submitting it, but forgot.

Today I uninstalled and reinstalled Resolve again. I started a blank project. I added my same audio file to the timeline and hit play. No sound, but no noise either. I changed the timeline format playback frame rate to 29.97. The timeline frame rate is stuck at 24 and will not let me change it. I changed the Video Monitoring Video Format to 2160p 29.97. In Video IO I changed the speaker configuration to manual, and set the device to Realtek HD Speakers. There was nothing selected at the bottom for L and R, so I selected Realtek HD Speakers for the left and the right one also changed to Realtek. The sound is now playing. BUT there is a bumping sound added. The bumping doesn't start for one second and then proceeds at approximately 5 bumps per second.

This would seem to indicate that the whole problem is related to a setting. I hadn't selected manual before. But remember, sound was working perfectly for a couple of weeks and the only things I ever adjusted between when it was working and when it stopped working, were the Deliver audio type, and, I sometimes have to change the timeline playback frame rate. You see, I use a 4K OLED HDR consumer TV connected to the HDMI port of the Decklink card. Whenever I first start to work with this setup, the OLED TV flashes slowly on and off, until I change the frame rate. I either change it from 30 to 29.97, or vise versa. Either way, it stops flashing and works perfectly for the rest of the session.

So now I will try to find settings which play the sound in the simple project I have open, but stop the popping noise. I should be able to do this.
Then I may get brave and reload my project and try to get its audio working by changing the same settings.

CrashLanding2

PostWed Mar 13, 2019 5:31 pm

Nope...can't find any setting which makes the audio play without the clicking. I confirmed that this audio file is 48KHz/16 bit. I confirmed this is the audio setting that the sound system is set to. The same wave file plays without the clicking in Wavelab. But in Wavelab it is playing very quietly, perhaps because Resolve is open. The wave file sounds absolutely perfect in Resolve, except for the clicking. The clicking sounds like it is added on top of the sound and is not part of playing the sound. I think that without video on the timeline, changes to the video playrate shouldn't affect the audio. The audio doesn't know it is for 29.97 or 30 FPS.
Please make a suggestion as to what I can change that would make the popping go away.

CrashLanding2

PostWed Mar 13, 2019 6:54 pm

By the way, my wave file plays back normally now from Media, and in Fairlight. Although, it seems to sound slightly different in Fairlight. I don't know Fairlight yet so don't care. No popping/clicking when playing from these two sources. Still get the popping when playing from the timeline.
In Media I noticed it says the timeline is 24FPS. Where can I change that ? The only place I see is grayed and not accessible. That is in Project Settings> Timeline Format> Timeline Frame Rate. I do have Playback Framerate set to 29.97, and also in Video Monitoring> Video Output.
I just tried changing those two items to 24fps and now my audio plays normally from the timeline.
Why/where/how am I forced to use 24fps ? I can't find anywhere to change that !

Reynaud Venter

PostWed Mar 13, 2019 7:06 pm

CrashLanding2 wrote:In Media I noticed it says the timeline is 24FPS. Where can I change that ? The only place I see is grayed and not accessible. That is in Project Settings> Timeline Format> Timeline Frame Rate
Why/where/how am I forced to use 24fps ? I can't find anywhere to change that !
Timeline Frame Rate is set before dragging media on to the Timeline or in to the Media Pool, as per page 105 of the Manual (Chapter 4 - Project Settings)

Timeline frame rate: Determines the primary frame rate used by the project.
Once one or more files have been added to the Media Pool, this setting cannot be changed.

CrashLanding2

PostWed Mar 13, 2019 9:05 pm

I closed Resolve and reopened it. I set the project to 29.97. I set everything else to 29.97. I imported my wave file. It plays too fast and has all sports of clicking, pops, distortion. I tried setting the playback framerate to 24, and 30...didn't help. Makes no sense to me unless Resolve added Metadata to my wave file so that in resolve it is now permanently flagged as 24 FPS.
The wave file plays normally in Fairlight. In the media pool it is playing with clicking and popping, like before, but louder.
Like I said, I don't think a wave file cares what framerate a video editing program is using. I understand about the frame rate needing to be set before media is loaded. I think in my other project it was correctly set to 29.97 before I loaded any media. But I will find out if this is true next time I try to load that project.
I can test if Resolve adds metadata to a wave file by deleting this one from the computer and then putting it back, and then repeating this experiment. If it then played back normally, it would show the wave file had been modified. I am not sure that is the next experiment I will perform.
Anyone know if Resolve adds metadata to wave files imported into it ? Or perhaps it stores that information somewhere on this computer ?

Daz Wood

PostWed Mar 13, 2019 9:09 pm

CrashLanding2 wrote:
Today I uninstalled and reinstalled Resolve again. I started a blank project. I added my same audio file to the timeline and hit play. No sound, but no noise either. I changed the timeline format playback frame rate to 29.97. The timeline frame rate is stuck at 24 and will not let me change it.

Add your video files first, if a box pops up saying they are a different Frame Rate let Resolve automatically change the timeline to the correct Frame Rate and only then bring in your audio files.

Starting from a blank project and doing this should get your settings correct and give you good audio.
Thank you

Daz
Davinci Resolve Studio Version
ASUS Strix GL702ZC 17" laptop. AMD Ryzen 7 1700 (Desktop CPU), 32GB DDR4, Storage 256GB M.2 SSD, 2TB SSD, 4GB RX 580, Win10

CrashLanding2

PostWed Mar 13, 2019 10:06 pm

This last test was with audio only. I don't want to recreate my original project from scratch because I had worked on it for about 3 weeks with the audio working, before the audio mysteriously quit working. This audio only test was just to see if more symptoms would appear, or if I could get audio working at all. I think the final result of this test, that is, audio not working at 29.97 even when I had set this manually before importing the audio, shows that something is wrong fundamentally.

CrashLanding2

PostWed Mar 13, 2019 10:17 pm

If there is no video on the timeline and we put a 48/16 wave file on the timeline, shouldn't it play normally regardless of what timeline framerate is set ? A wavefile has no associated framerate that I know of, unless Resolve adds metadata to it, or never forgets the associated frame rate for any wave file that has been imported.

Daz Wood

PostWed Mar 13, 2019 11:19 pm

CrashLanding2 wrote:If there is no video on the timeline and we put a 48/16 wave file on the timeline, shouldn't it play normally regardless of what timeline framerate is set ? A wavefile has no associated framerate that I know of, unless Resolve adds metadata to it, or never forgets the associated frame rate for any wave file that has been imported.

I have had a strange situation in the past when I first started test Dr and Fairlight with audio of a band I had recorded. Later I added some video of a live performance and edited so it was in sync but was having strange audio problem in the edit page but not Fairlight. It turned out that I had a mismatch Frame Rate in the Project compared to what the video files were. DR will not let you change the project Frame Rate so I had to export into Premiere Pro change the Frame Rate and important back into Resolve. This fixed my audio problems and from that day on I never start out using audio only as DR never warns of incorrect Frame Rates.
Thank you

Daz
ASUS Strix GL702ZC 17" laptop. AMD Ryzen 7 1700 (Desktop CPU), 32GB DDR4, Storage 256GB M.2 SSD, 2TB SSD, 4GB RX 580, Win10

CrashLanding2

PostWed Mar 13, 2019 11:39 pm

Interesting. I am probably about to import my original project to see what frame rate it is stuck at.
I just remembered that I started this project by importing video from my URSA Mini Pro 4.6 K that I had shot in time lapse mode. It is a frame sequence of raw images. If it has an associated frame rate, that must be the frame rate of the project. The other video stuff I later added was also still frame timelapse sequences, but taken with a Nikon D-4, raws (.nef), converted in Adobe DNG converter to DNGs so they would work directly in Resolve, which they do.
The thing is that I spent a lot of time doing color adjustments with keyframing because that is a big advantage to me with these timelapse sequences. This is what I don't want to lose by having to start from scratch. If I were to have to put this project through Premier and back to Resolve, would it retain the color adjustments I have made ?

CrashLanding2

PostFri Mar 15, 2019 4:53 pm

With the simple project set to 24 FPS, there was nothing I could do to get my audio file to play correctly. This seems fundamentally wrong. The implication is that you can not have a 48/16 wave file in a 24 FPS project. Either that or, we must add some 24FPS video to the 24 fps project before it will play the audio. I never did this because all my 4K video is raw image sequences with (I think) no associated frame rate.
So I gave up on this test and closed that project, then re-opened my serious project. I looked and see that this project was set to 29.97 as I has thought. That is the frame rate I wanted and it was working for weeks.
I see that the project opened with the settings I made as far as using the Realtek outputs. I played the project and the sound is now working. However it is popping still. It sounds normal for a second and then starts popping as described in a previous installment. Nothing I could change makes this popping go away. So I tried rendering it. The audio in the render is fine and does not pop. This is good enough for me. As long as I can get it to render with sound I will be happy. Too bad it no longer will play without all that popping. Everything is now set to 29.97. Seems odd that it wouldn't render with sound before when I couldn't hear the sound. Does Resolve use the sound card to render a project with audio ?
I wonder if windows shutting down on me during a render is what caused the Realtek speakers to become deselected in the first place, since I made no changes there from the time my project played normally until the sound stopped working ? I wonder if I can sue Microsoft for all my lost time due to Windows shutting down during a render. 56 hours at $400/hour...That's $22,000 I figure Microsoft owes me for just this one incident. Who do they think they are shutting down my computer without permission.

Daz Wood

PostFri Mar 15, 2019 8:44 pm

CrashLanding2 wrote:With the simple project set to 24 FPS, there was nothing I could do to get my audio file to play correctly. This seems fundamentally wrong. The implication is that you can not have a 48/16 wave file in a 24 FPS project. Either that or, we must add some 24FPS video to the 24 fps project before it will play the audio. I never did this because all my 4K video is raw image sequences with (I think) no associated frame rate.
So I gave up on this test and closed that project, then re-opened my serious project. I looked and see that this project was set to 29.97 as I has thought. That is the frame rate I wanted and it was working for weeks.
I see that the project opened with the settings I made as far as using the Realtek outputs. I played the project and the sound is now working. However it is popping still. It sounds normal for a second and then starts popping as described in a previous installment. Nothing I could change makes this popping go away. So I tried rendering it. The audio in the render is fine and does not pop. This is good enough for me. As long as I can get it to render with sound I will be happy. Too bad it no longer will play without all that popping. Everything is now set to 29.97. Seems odd that it wouldn't render with sound before when I couldn't hear the sound. Does Resolve use the sound card to render a project with audio ?
I wonder if windows shutting down on me during a render is what caused the Realtek speakers to become deselected in the first place, since I made no changes there from the time my project played normally until the sound stopped working ? I wonder if I can sue Microsoft for all my lost time due to Windows shutting down during a render. 56 hours at $400/hour...That's $22,000 I figure Microsoft owes me for just this one incident. Who do they think they are shutting down my computer without permission.

If it is exporting and rendering to a file ok there is probably a system problem with the audio outputs of the computer. In the audio world using DAWs this is normally down to the audio buffer which is too small and needs more time to process the audio. What audio card or interface are you using?
Thank you

Daz

CrashLanding2

PostSat Mar 16, 2019 9:16 pm

I had this computer built specifically for two purposes. It replaces an older computer that was very slow. This computer was intended for audio production and for the Real Flight RC simulator. It is blindingly fast and even supports 3D. When I wanted to give Resolve a try I was surprised to find it didn't run on W7, which both of my video production computers are. I tried it on this computer and now this computer has a third use, 4K HDR production.

Motherboard: Asus Strix Z27 DE Gaming
Video Card: Zotax GEFORCE GTX 1080

Device Manager> Audio Outputs
Realtek Digital Output (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Speakers (Blackmagic DeckLink 4K Extreme 12 G Audio)
Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
VX3276-QHD (NVIDIA High Definition Audio)

I have everything set to the Realtek HD Audio.

Daz Wood

PostSun Mar 17, 2019 10:48 am

CrashLanding2 wrote:
Device Manager> Audio Outputs
Realtek Digital Output (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Speakers (Blackmagic DeckLink 4K Extreme 12 G Audio)
Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
VX3276-QHD (NVIDIA High Definition Audio)

I have everything set to the Realtek HD Audio.

Above you said the Davinci Resolve is set to use the inputs and outputs of your Blackmagic DeckLink 4K Extreme 12 G but here you post you have set everything to use Realtek HD Audio. When windows is playing back the audio file you will hear it if your speakers are plugged into your Realtek HD Audio outputs but it seems Davinci is sending the audio out of the Blackmagic DeckLink 4K Extreme 12 G outputs. It's worth having a look to see if this is the problem.
Thank you

Daz

Gilitosan

PostSun Mar 17, 2019 11:13 am

Hi there

First of all I'm new to DaVinci Resolve and didn't test thoroughly yet but I do have a similar situation.
- Had DaVinci working properly on Mojave.
- Suddenly audio is gone, no output on any device, nothing on meters. Existing and new projects.
- Uninstalled and installed 15.3. Some situation persists.
- 15.3 on Win10 working normally with same settings and material.
I'm going to go through it more seriously tomorrow and will update.

Cheers

Daz Wood

PostSun Mar 17, 2019 12:35 pm

If you want to use your on board audio from your PC's motherboard set Davinci speaker setup to this and see how you get on:

dv audio.png
dv audio.png (48.93 KiB) Viewed 10039 times
Thank you

Daz

CrashLanding2

PostSun Mar 17, 2019 10:04 pm

I'll have a look. I can tell you that I mostly monitor audio from the analog outputs from the computer. This goes through my Hi Fi system. I use this for video editing, music composition, and the flight simulator. But it can be convenient that I am also hearing the audio from the HDMI computer monitor connected to the regular video card of the computer. And I am hearing audio on the 4K OLED monitor connected to the Blackmagic Decklink HDMI output too. When doing serious audio work I will be using MOTU audio interfaces and running digital.
The thing to remember is that absolutely everything was working including all the Resolve audio, Wavelab, Cubase, Real Flight, Windows Media Player. It was a sudden thing that audio stopped working in Resolve. Everything else still works, but audio playback in Resolve is still funky.

Return to DaVinci Resolve