"No Card" Issue BMPCC

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Denny Smith

Re: "No Card" Issue BMPCC

PostMon Feb 18, 2019 6:12 pm

Yes, but the PixE has outstanding audio support also. Another option is to redo the VA using the new XQD card with the CFExpress interface, as this is the new tech for high speed data recording/transfer, and is between a CFast and SD card in size and price. Also BMD could just go with the SD UHS2 card that seems to still work,in the VA4K aand was the media choice for the new Pocket, along with CFast cards, the later being more reliable.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Steve Holmlund

Re: Re:

PostTue Feb 19, 2019 4:54 am

Australian Image wrote:
vanschr wrote:Simple answer. No other brands work reliably for RAW. Collectively we've tried all of them. Please if you know of another brand that is easily sourced and works in RAW then don't hold back. Not blaming BM but don't you think they should take some accountability for developing and selling a product that only works reliably with one card and when that one card no longer is available makes it the customers problem to figure out. Sony released a firmware upgrade to address this problem with the Sandisk cards. Blackmagic is just sending their customers to Sandisk.

I've been looking at buying a used BMPCC for a long time, but I'm not going to get one to become a test bunny for SD cards. If I already owned the camera, I would. I've pointed out that I can use the Samsung micro-SD 256GB Evo card in my BMPCC4K using RAW and have no issues, which is why I suggested that as a potential option.

The Samsung is not in the recommended list as clearly Blackmagic can't test every card available, which is why I'm curious that no one is curious to try other brands. And just because Sony addressed an 'issue' with their camera does not mean that the issue is the same when it comes to the BMPCC. The only cards that seem to be tested by users is one Sandisk after another. There are an incredible number of SD brands around that use different controllers and, who knows, maybe a few will work with the BMPCC.

In the sticky thread on this issue, CJ Maynard reported positive results with the Sony 95MB/sec 128GB card. I've just ordered the 64GB version of this card to try on my BMPCC. Will report in a few days once it arrives.

It turns out there are not that many UHS1 cards in the same class as the Sandisk cards. The Sony line appears to be one of them (95MB/sec max read, 90MB/sec max write, 30MB/sec min write).

Because there are not that many options, I fail to see why BMD cannot devote a couple man-days to testing the alternatives.

But as we know, once you determine that BMD is not going to do something, you stop complaining about it and just figure out a different way to resolve the issue.

Steve
Steve Holmlund
Hobbyist
BMPCC, vintage Rokkor lenses, Olympus 12-40 and 12-100, Panasonic 100-300 II
SmallHD Focus, i7 8700k / GTX 1080

vanschr

PostTue Feb 19, 2019 8:18 am

Australian Image wrote:
Steve Holmlund wrote:
But as we know, once you determine that BMD is not going to do something, you stop complaining about it and just figure out a different way to resolve the issue.

Steve

I've always worked on the premise that if I have a problem, I'll see if I can fix it myself before calling for help. Not only has that allowed me to learn numerous skills and thus resolve problems myself, it's also saved me quite a bit of money not relying on others to do what can often be a crappy job.
I think a lot of us do. But there comes a time that you've exhausted most avenues.. I'll try to find the Sony 95 thread where it's reported frame drops in RAW on the BMPCC. But it will be good if we have another case.

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

vanschr

PostTue Feb 19, 2019 11:06 am

Australian Image wrote:
vanschr wrote:Simple answer. No other brands work reliably for RAW. Collectively we've tried all of them. Please if you know of another brand that is easily sourced and works in RAW then don't hold back. Not blaming BM but don't you think they should take some accountability for developing and selling a product that only works reliably with one card and when that one card no longer is available makes it the customers problem to figure out. Sony released a firmware upgrade to address this problem with the Sandisk cards. Blackmagic is just sending their customers to Sandisk.

I've been looking at buying a used BMPCC for a long time, but I'm not going to get one to become a test bunny for SD cards. If I already owned the camera, I would. I've pointed out that I can use the Samsung micro-SD 256GB Evo card in my BMPCC4K using RAW and have no issues, which is why I suggested that as a potential option.

The Samsung is not in the recommended list as clearly Blackmagic can't test every card available, which is why I'm curious that no one is curious to try other brands. And just because Sony addressed an 'issue' with their camera does not mean that the issue is the same when it comes to the BMPCC. The only cards that seem to be tested by users is one Sandisk after another. There are an incredible number of SD brands around that use different controllers and, who knows, maybe a few will work with the BMPCC.
Not sure is you've read some of the other threads but we've pretty much tried all the high speed alternatives

Sandeep Gill

PostTue Feb 19, 2019 11:48 am

I've bought several SanDisk XXG cards over the last three months that are working flawlessly in my BMPCC, raw and ProRes. If anyone wants to send me a SanDisk card that *definitely* doesn't work in their camera, I could test it in mine.

If it works in mine, then it means the problem is camera/firmware specific, which would also mean that BM may have more of an impetus to give us a fix seeing as the fault isn't with SanDisk and we have proof.

If it doesn't work in mine, then you'll have lost the cost of a first class stamp but at least we'll have ruled something out.

I'm based in the UK (London) if anyone does want to try.

Brad Hurley

Re: Re:

PostTue Feb 19, 2019 8:49 pm

Australian Image wrote:I've gone through this thread since it began, but if there are others about I don't think I have.

See this one at the top of the forum, esp. the first post from Kristian at BMD and the other ones further down where they test this EVO Samsung card and find problems.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=83050

The key is that it's not just finding a card with the required 95 mb/s write speed, something changed about the architecture in these SanDisk cards to make them no longer work. They're still rated at 95 mb/s; see https://www.sandisk.com/home/memory-car ... o-sd-uhs-i but they don't work.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Brad Hurley

PostTue Feb 19, 2019 9:32 pm

I think the larger issue is that there are at least two "live" products still being sold by BMD (the Micro Cinema Camera and the 5" Video Assist) that rely on these cards. Unless customers who buy those products today can find a source of older cards, they've just spent money on a product that's effectively a brick. BMD should either stop selling them or come out with replacements that use different media; the fact that they haven't stopped selling them yet makes me wonder if we'll see some new product announcements at NAB in April.

Steve Holmlund

Re:

PostTue Feb 19, 2019 11:47 pm

vanschr wrote:
I think a lot of us do. But there comes a time that you've exhausted most avenues.. I'll try to find the Sony 95 thread where it's reported frame drops in RAW on the BMPCC. But it will be good if we have another case.

Rudi, I recall seeing that about the Sony 95MB/sec card but there was not a lot of detail. That is why I'm getting my own to try. Interestingly, there are also Sony 94MB/sec cards. But I'm getting the 64GB version of the 95MB/sec card.

Steve
Steve Holmlund
Hobbyist

vanschr

PostWed Feb 20, 2019 5:49 am

Steve Holmlund wrote:
vanschr wrote:

Rudi, I recall seeing that about the Sony 95MB/sec card but there was not a lot of detail. That is why I'm getting my own to try. Interestingly, there are also Sony 94MB/sec cards. But I'm getting the 64GB version of the 95MB/sec card.

Steve
That will be great. Please keep us posted Steve.

vanschr

PostWed Feb 20, 2019 5:57 am

Brad Hurley wrote:I think the larger issue is that there are at least two "live" products still being sold by BMD (the Micro Cinema Camera and the 5" Video Assist) that rely on these cards. Unless customers who buy those products today can find a source of older cards, they've just spent money on a product that's effectively a brick. BMD should either stop selling them or come out with replacements that use different media; the fact that they haven't stopped selling them yet makes me wonder if we'll see some new product announcements at NAB in April.
This is also my gripe.. I bought a micro and to date could not find a card that can reliability record what they advertise their product can do.

Steve Holmlund

Re:

PostSun Feb 24, 2019 2:22 am

vanschr wrote:
Steve Holmlund wrote:
vanschr wrote:

Steve

This 64GB Sony 95MB/s card works on my BMPCC:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... ss_10.html

I included more details in the sticky thread on this topic.
Steve Holmlund
Hobbyist

vanschr

PostSun Feb 24, 2019 7:03 am

Steve Holmlund wrote:
vanschr wrote:
Steve Holmlund wrote:[quote="vanschr"]

Steve

This 64GB Sony 95MB/s card works on my BMPCC:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... ss_10.html

I included more details in the sticky thread on this topic.[/quote]Hi Steve that sounds promising, how's RAW recording for extended periods?

Robert Niessner

PostSun Feb 24, 2019 5:20 pm

Amazon.de still sells the older 512GB Sandisk card from 2014:
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B00NP699ZI/ref ... RH5Y2?th=1

And 4 pieces on Amazon.co.uk:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Extrem ... ref=sr_1_2
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Steve Holmlund

Re:

PostMon Feb 25, 2019 4:28 am

vanschr wrote:Hi Steve that sounds promising, how's RAW recording for extended periods?

I just did 20 minutes of RAW at 24fps, no issue. I'd get a 64GB card if you can; they're not that expensive and you can confirm for yourself.

Steve
Steve Holmlund
Hobbyist

vanschr

PostMon Feb 25, 2019 4:58 am

Steve Holmlund wrote:
vanschr wrote:Hi Steve that sounds promising, how's RAW recording for extended periods?

I just did 20 minutes of RAW at 24fps, no issue. I'd get a 64GB card if you can; they're not that expensive and you can confirm for yourself.

Steve
Jeez I must!! Will get one ASAP! Thanks a million Steve!

Alex Schmied

PostTue Feb 26, 2019 8:27 am

i'm rather angry about this strange thing with sd cards on bmpcc.
Found one on ebay with SDSDXPA serial number, bought it and it was SDSDXX one.
The communication with the seller was so awful. They just sell false cards and offer you 5,- euro for keeping the card.. so be cautious about buying them.

There is also the 256GB Version on german amazon:
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B00NP63XGE
but i can not find the possibility to contact the seller, to ask him, if it is the SDSDXPA for real.

Will there be a firmware update for bmpcc??
now i have a super "old" cam and can not use it... wonderful!

Robert Niessner

PostTue Feb 26, 2019 8:31 am

Alex Schmied wrote:i'm rather angry about this strange thing with sd cards on bmpcc.
Found one on ebay with SDSDXPA serial number, bought it and it was SDSDXX one.
The communication with the seller was so awful. They just sell false cards and offer you 5,- euro for keeping the card.. so be cautious about buying them.

There is also the 256GB Version on german amazon:
but i can not find the possibility to contact the seller, to ask him, if it is the SDSDXPA for real.

Will there be a firmware update for bmpcc??
now i have a super "old" cam and can not use it... wonderful!

Alex, give Videodata.de a call if those are the older cards:
https://www.videodata.de/shop/products/ ... -MB-s.html
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

Alex Schmied

PostTue Feb 26, 2019 8:33 am

but these are the new cards with v-30. So it seems, that they don't own the older cards.

Robert Niessner

PostTue Feb 26, 2019 8:50 am

Alex Schmied wrote:but these are the new cards with v-30. So it seems, that they don't own the older cards.

Ah, yes you are right.

I've now sent an email to Angelbird support to ask if they know if any of their SD cards are compatible. Maybe there is a solution.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

Alex Schmied

PostTue Feb 26, 2019 9:02 am

i also have send emails to Alternate, Notebooksbilliger and Cyberport (they should be the official sellers of sandisk in germany).

Also contacted SunDisk, they talk about the compatibility of this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Sandisk-64GB-Ext ... B00IITQBJE
I asked now for a 256GB card and wait for the answer.
But i don't really trust them.

I hope the will be an update for bmpcc to solve this weird problem!

Alex Schmied

PostTue Feb 26, 2019 9:46 am

by the way, how is it in german law, if i buy a card, which has problems in a specific camera, can i bring it back and get the money? If they test it on another cam and it works, so there will be a problem, to give it back, isn't it?

Robert Niessner

PostTue Feb 26, 2019 11:11 am

Depends on if you are buying it as a company or a private consumer. For a company the end consumer laws do not apply. But I'd say they would be only entitled to take it back if they advertise the cards as being compatible with the BMPCC and then they are not. So if the card is not defective and works anywhere else it would be up the customer support of the dealer to decide if they take it back.

Might be easier for to ask a friend if he is willing to take the card from you for the money.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

Alex Schmied

PostTue Feb 26, 2019 11:15 am

mmhh.. you're right.
I'll try this one and hope that they don't send me the new one again.

#Edit: i hate Amazon.. they want sepa or credit card... :x
don't like to buy there.

Notebooksbilliger gave an answer know, they have just 32GB-Version of the card... useless.

Robert Niessner

PostTue Feb 26, 2019 11:42 am

Alex Schmied wrote:mmhh.. you're right.
I'll try this one and hope that they don't send me the new one again.

#Edit: i hate Amazon.. they want sepa or credit card... :x
don't like to buy there.

Notebooksbilliger gave an answer know, they have just 32GB-Version of the card... useless.

Alex, you can buy Amazon gift cards in most supermarkets and use those for buying at Amazon.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

Alex Schmied

PostTue Feb 26, 2019 11:49 am

ah, good idea, thanks!

I asked Notebooksbilliger if they can get the bigger card, but they can not.
Maby I can test some cards in a photo/video shop.

Alex Schmied

PostThu Feb 28, 2019 11:57 am

i asked the seller on amazon "Skyline Media" and they can not deliver the card!
I'm really VERY angry about the fact, that you just can NOT use the bmpcc... this camery is just useless!
i can not find ANY of the cards, that a mentiond on the BMD-Page (up to 64GB, not even for ProRes), RAW is just absolutle impossible, because there no cards on the market anymore.

If somebody can deny it, please do so.

Now i wait for the delivery of the 256GB Card from ARLT (germany). Because they said, they can do that. But i can not imagine, that will be the right card. Not even the official seller from the sandisk page can deliver it. Its just awful!

I also asked the BMD-Support and wait for the answer.

Robert Niessner

PostThu Feb 28, 2019 2:07 pm

Alex, in the next days I also should get an answer from Angelbird, if any of their cards is working with the BMPCC. Will post back their answer here.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

John Paines

PostThu Feb 28, 2019 2:37 pm

Alex Schmied wrote:because there no cards on the market anymore.

I don't know how many times this has to be repeated, but there was a recent report that the 64gb Sony 95mb card works. And there's one report that the Samsung evo-plus 256 card works, but I can attest that the 128gb version is unreliable in the BMPCC

I have an unproven suspicion that the non-Sandisk brands have inconsistent performance from one BMPCC to another, but these cards are at least worth trying, if you're desperate. They may work for you.

Alex Schmied

PostThu Feb 28, 2019 2:44 pm

@Robert: I also now write to angelbird.
BMD just answered the standard answer... it makes even more angry. They talk about a card, you can not buy anymore and name that solution.

@John: I know about the Sony and Samsung card... i think i read everything that was written about this topic here. But some people write, that Sony drop frames and samsung do not even work in BMPCC (non 4k).

yes... i can give it a try and through even more money away, as i already done (bmpcc, cage and so on!)
Sony costs about 50 euro and samsung about 70.

Its bad... very bad that BMD seems not to give a f. about this problem.

Alex Schmied

PostThu Feb 28, 2019 5:01 pm

This is the Answer from Angelbird:
"We cannot recommend any Angelbird drive for the use with this camera model."

Xtreemtec

PostThu Feb 28, 2019 10:19 pm

Alex Schmied wrote:This is the Answer from Angelbird:

Kind of strange right?? There CF Cards are on the Recommended list:
Angelbird AV PRO CF 128GB
Angelbird AV PRO CF 256GB
Angelbird AV PRO CF 512GB

And from the looks of it there V60 and V90 cards are much faster then the Sandisk 95MB/S
V60 = 170MB/s and V90 is 300MB/s :shock:

Nobody here that tested these??
I have several Angelbird SSD's in my Atomos recorders and they fly 8-)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Brad Hurley

PostThu Feb 28, 2019 10:34 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:
Alex Schmied wrote:This is the Answer from Angelbird:

Kind of strange right?? There CF Cards are on the Recommended list:
Angelbird AV PRO CF 128GB
Angelbird AV PRO CF 256GB
Angelbird AV PRO CF 512GB

Those are CF cards; you must be looking at recommended cards for the BMPCC 4K

Alex Schmied

PostFri Mar 01, 2019 8:39 am

pls. make difference between the non 4k version :)
@Xtreemtec: So are the recommendations for the 4k version of the bmpcc?
Otherwise it would be very strange.

Steve Holmlund

PostFri Mar 01, 2019 3:44 pm

Alex Schmied wrote:pls. make difference between the non 4k version :)
@Xtreemtec: So are the recommendations for the 4k version of the bmpcc?
Otherwise it would be very strange.

Alex,
I reported a positive result with the 64GB Sony 95MB/s card on my BMPCC. I don't have access to BMD's qualification protocol so just did some basic tests. I will use it some more this weekend. CJ Maynard reported success with the 128GB version on the BMMCC, even recording at 60 fps, though I don't know which codec. Those details are in the sticky thread on this topic.

I don't want to minimize the one report about dropped frames with the Sony card but I don't recall a lot of details when it was posted. Perhaps that user can weigh in again.

It's been several months now since this issue came to light and I would not expect BMD to update their software (if that could even provide a fix) or even do additional testing to update the compatibility list. They have limited resources and choose to focus on keeping new things coming. (Of course, it's possible that they've done testing and that nothing currently available "officially" passes their testing and they don't want to say so publicly.)

I would suggest trying a Sony 95MB/s card, ideally from a reseller with good return policies. Whatever the result, your detailed report would benefit others in the same situation.

I think if you wait for BMD, you will be waiting quite a while. That's just my observation.

Steve
Steve Holmlund
Hobbyist

Alex Schmied

PostFri Mar 01, 2019 3:53 pm

Hi Steve,
wait, wait... 60fps on the bmpcc?? I mean the non 4k version, pls. make the difference.
So does the sony 64GB work in the non4k BMPCC and 128GB in the 4k version?

I'm going to buy a sony 64GB today in "saturn" (germany).
If it doesnt work i just use it for back up or something like that.
So i will back hear with some practical infos about this card.... and i hope VERY much, that it will succeed.

I want also try the Samsung Evo Plus 256GB, but its strange that somebody said the 128GB will not be recognized.

Wating for BMD has no sense, you're right. It seems so, that they don't give ... for that problem.
Pity, because i had yet the experience, that the support was very good. This seems to be a "special problem" for the BMD, with no free capabilities.

Steve Holmlund

PostFri Mar 01, 2019 4:12 pm

Alex Schmied wrote:Hi Steve,
wait, wait... 60fps on the bmpcc?? I mean the non 4k version, pls. make the difference.
So does the sony 64GB work in the non4k BMPCC and 128GB in the 4k version?

I'm going to buy a sony 64GB today in "saturn" (germany).
If it doesnt work i just use it for back up or something like that.
So i will back hear with some practical infos about this card.... and i hope VERY much, that it will succeed.

I want also try the Samsung Evo Plus 256GB, but its strange that somebody said the 128GB will not be recognized.

Wating for BMD has no sense, you're right. It seems so, that they don't give ... for that problem.
Pity, because i had yet the experience, that the support was very good. This seems to be a "special problem" for the BMD, with no free capabilities.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I meant that CJ reported success with 60fps on his BMMCC.

Good luck.
Steve
Steve Holmlund
Hobbyist

Alex Schmied

PostFri Mar 01, 2019 4:17 pm

oh, sorry, i've just read bmpcc instead pf bmmcc.

Alex Schmied

PostFri Mar 01, 2019 8:44 pm

so, today i tried the Sony 64GB 95MB/s UZ SD Card and IT WORKS!!!!!
There seem to be no real visible frame drops for ProRes HQ 30fps (10min recording) (i can not test it in davinci now, just do it next days). RAW 30fps hast also no visible frame drops, but i suppose, that there are some, if i look at the footage in davinci.

The last test will be a look on a footage in davinci resolve, but the good thing is, that the card is recognized and works!

vanschr

PostFri Mar 01, 2019 8:56 pm

Alex Schmied wrote:so, today i tried the Sony 64GB 95MB/s UZ SD Card and IT WORKS!!!!!
There seem to be no real visible frame drops for ProRes HQ 30fps (10min recording) (i can not test it in davinci now, just do it next days). RAW 30fps hast also no visible frame drops, but i suppose, that there are some, if i look at the footage in davinci.

The last test will be a look on a footage in davinci resolve, but the good thing is, that the card is recognized and works!
Please keep us posted. So I guess if it doesn't stop the recording you'll see the dropped frames in Da Vinci as almost a ghosting effect in between frames. Or at least thats what I experienced with the Extreme SAN 90MB on 3:1 RAW. Not that I was expecting it to work though.

halliku

PostFri Mar 15, 2019 9:04 pm

Based on the previous comments I got myself Samsung Evo card and made some test in RAW with original BMPCC. Card is recognised and works with Raw. I think I see some minor jittering in the footage when panning but I need to test it some more. So far all good.

EDIT: After few days testing. I get randomly dropped frames red dot while recording RAW or Prores. Sometimes I get it right after starting recording and another time no dropped frames at all. So Samsung is not very reliable.
Last edited by halliku on Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tonywilliams

PostSun Mar 17, 2019 3:32 pm

I'm having the same issue, but I think many people are wasting time looking into the SD card as the issue. It may be true that the V30 Sandisk cards have an issue. But with mine it's completely different. Have had two 64GB cards I'd used for years, then got a 128GB card I used for over a year. All cards had no issue until recently all cards will not be recognized by the camera, "No Card". However sometimes they will all work and be recognized, tried with all sources of Power, Battery, AC power, Both, and result is always same. Sometimes cards work, sometimes they just don't. Only consistent thing I've seen is that once the card is recognized, "Ready" status. Then if I turn the camera off or on, switch battery or AC power, card stays working, until I take it out and put another card in. Then have to try about 15 to 20 times before camera recognizes card. It must be firmware or camera issue. Which I'm not surprised, because I've used it a lot, and in very hot conditions, and even left it running for long times.

burningarms

PostTue Mar 19, 2019 12:11 am

I'm having success recording RAW 23.98 with the 256GB Samsung EVO Plus I recently ordered off Amazon. I recorded a few shorter clips, then recorded 15 minutes straight, then another few short clips. I did NOT get the dropped frames warning icon, and everything looked fine in Resolve. Not the most thorough testing, but everything seems fine so far.

I had previously tried several 128 GB Sandisk Extreme Pros, then a 128 Samsung EVO (not plus, just regular), and they all said "No Card" every time.

Vitafons

PostMon Mar 25, 2019 2:43 pm

halliku wrote:Based on the previous comments I got myself Samsung Evo card and made some test in RAW with original BMPCC. Card is recognised and works with Raw. I think I see some minor jittering in the footage when panning but I need to test it some more. So far all good.

EDIT: After few days testing. I get randomly dropped frames red dot while recording RAW or Prores. Sometimes I get it right after starting recording and another time no dropped frames at all. So Samsung is not very reliable.

Could you specify the card capacity (128, 256, 512 Gb?) I have tried the 128 Gb version, which started dropping frames after some tens of seconds record time both on raw and prores. The user who reported successful results used 256 Gb card so maybe that is the difference.

John Paines

PostMon Mar 25, 2019 2:47 pm

The 128gb version of the Samsung evo plus is recognized by the BMPCC, but is not reliable. It does work in the BMPCC 4K, though with lower performance than Sandisk Extreme Pro.

The one(?) report of success with the Samsung 256gb version should probably be viewed with caution.

halliku

PostTue Mar 26, 2019 7:41 pm

Vitafons wrote:
halliku wrote:Based on the previous comments I got myself Samsung Evo card and made some test in RAW with original BMPCC. Card is recognised and works with Raw. I think I see some minor jittering in the footage when panning but I need to test it some more. So far all good.

Could you specify the card capacity (128, 256, 512 Gb?) I have tried the 128 Gb version, which started dropping frames after some tens of seconds record time both on raw and prores. The user who reported successful results used 256 Gb card so maybe that is the difference.

I have 128GB Samsung Evo and this is indeed not reliable. In addition to dropped frames my camera sometimes freezes during recording (will not end recording unless I turn off camera) and also will not start recording after I hit record button.

Alex Schmied

PostThu Apr 25, 2019 4:37 pm

After testing the Samsung Evo Plus 256GB (that should work better than the 128GB version) I must say, that this card is CRAP with BMPCC... very pity!!

I tried just ProRes HQ and just after recording about 34 minutes, the card drop frames and bmpcc shows red bang, just in the place where the rec glows. So about 34 minutes everything was ok, but everything i try to record now, drop frames.

What is it?? Cache problem?? Seems to be something like that.

The Sony 64GB i used, had no problems with ProRes HQ, but it can not record more than 30 minutes.

Mohammed Tahir

PostWed May 01, 2019 5:34 pm

I looked up the model number of the 128GB SD card that I've been using successfully for the last two years and it says the following on the invoice:

SDSDXXG-128G-GN4IN SanDisk 128GB Extreme Pro 95MB/Sec SDXC Card (bought 02/03/2017)

Now, that's exactly the model we're told doesn't work - prefixed with SDSDXXG. The card itself has the following markings: SDXC, I, V30, 3, 10. On the back it has the following: BP1632150824G. I found the box for the card and it says SDSDXXG-128G-GN4IN. The date on the box is 2016.

SanDisk told me that the controller has changed. Finding out when it changed might help because there's always old stock kicking around.

Brad Hurley

PostMon May 06, 2019 12:24 pm

Can anyone confirm that the UHS II 300 mb/s cards that SanDisk is recommending for affected BMD cameras and models (This card: https://shop.sandisk.com/store?Action=l ... D=11442500) are actually working in the original Pocket, Micro Cinema Camera, and/or Video Assist?

I know they're expensive, but if they actually work that's good news. Denny mentioned earlier that UHS II cards wouldn't be fast enough in UHS I devices but I did see a post from one person who said they were working. It would be good to have confirmation.

John Paines

PostMon May 06, 2019 2:11 pm

I don't believe BMD has ever recommended replacement cards for affected devices. To date, the only half-reliable reports of success are with the Sony SD cards, the ones equivalent in performance to the Extreme Pros.

Brad Hurley

PostMon May 06, 2019 3:20 pm

John Paines wrote:I don't believe BMD has ever recommended replacement cards for affected devices. To date, the only half-reliable reports of success are with the Sony SD cards, the ones equivalent in performance to the Extreme Pros.

Right, BMD isn't recommending replacement cards, but SanDisk is. See this post viewtopic.php?f=18&t=90728#p505736
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography