Need to stream WebPresenter over Local LAN

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

idctech

Need to stream WebPresenter over Local LAN

PostWed Mar 13, 2019 5:25 pm

Looking for some help on using BM WebPresenter to stream output over our local LAN to another building.
Is there a way to do that without setting up a Live Stream out to the Internet using a streaming service?

Our setup is as follows:
2 cameras - BM Micro Studio Camera 4K - SDI out
1 ATEM - BM Production Switch 4K Studio - SDI in from Cameras
1 Video Hub - BM Smart VideoHub 20 x 20 - SDI in from ATEM
BM WebPresenter with Teranex Smart Panel - ATEM SDI Program Out to WP SDI in.
Using WP USB Out into iMac running ProPresenter 6.

ProPresenter 6 allows me to show the id the WebPresenter as a "web camera" input and I can see the video input just fine.

The iMac is on our local lan in our sanctuary building and I need to get a live feed over into the office building next door that is also on the local lan.

I thought I could grab the video feed coming into the iMac using the WP but not sure how to pull the feed over the LAN . I know I can use VLC app on a Mac or PC and grab the stream in the office building but not sure how I would do it.

I do have a BM Micro Converter SDI to HDMI that can get an SDI feed from the HUB and then an HDMI out to a laptop.

Do I need to use the Micro Converter to feed a laptop running on the LAN to push a feed out?

thanks for any suggestions on this.
Steve
Last edited by idctech on Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andrew Martin

Re: How do I steam WebPresenter over Local LAN

PostWed Mar 13, 2019 6:31 pm

VLC. Ffmpeg. Flash media server, or almost any type of webcam/ streaming software can allow you to do this... providing you stay inside ur network.

From my mobile using Tapatalk

Brett Casadonte

Re: Need to stream WebPresenter over Local LAN

PostSat Mar 16, 2019 11:11 am

You could try using Skype to pull in the stream feed from the Web Presenter and then make a call to another Skype user in the other location.

Another option would be to bring the feed into Wirecast and use their rendezvous feature to do the same thing (though you would, of course, need a license for Wirecast).

A third option could be to look at an NDI solution... While I am not quite as familiar with NDI, I know that Wirecast supports it, and if you have a "receiving" or viewing application on your computer on the far end, you could likely send an NDI video feed from Wirecast to the NDI software viewer on your remote computer. There is an app called NDI Monitor from Mark Gilbert in the Apple App Store that I believe would do the trick.

The only other options that I can think of would all require new hardware... from more affordable options such as purchasing a pair of BM Teranex Mini IP Video converters, to much more expensive dedicated IP streaming encoder / decoder pairs for a point-to-point IP video stream transmission.
Brett Casadonte
Founder and Techinical Director - GlobeStream Media
http://www.globestreammedia.com
Live Production: on-location and REMI using LiveU
ATEM 2 M/E, 1 M/E, TV Studio Pro 4k, BM URSA Broadcast, & Studio/Micro Studio Cameras

idctech

PostSat Mar 16, 2019 3:02 pm

Thanks for the suggestions.
I need to clarify that the solution needs to be able to pass the video across a "switched" LAN infrastructure.

Also I forgot to mention that we have BM SDI to HDMI converters available.

I think I can use one of those to do the following:
BM HUB SDI out --> BM Converter SDI in to out HDMI --> IP encoder --> LAN switch --> LAN port --> Mac/PC --> HDMI out to TV or Projector.

I assumed the WebPre would do the IP encoding and I could just grab the signal from the iMac the WP "camera" was linked via it's IP address.

But I guess you need a software link - like OIS or VLC to grab it off the iMac.

Andrew Martin

PostSun Mar 17, 2019 10:36 am

NDI, might not be suitable. Its intended as a transport for video sources not as a distribution feed. Although it now support multicast, I think you might be limited depending on how many users ur wanting to see the feed.

Brett Casadonte

PostSun Mar 17, 2019 12:10 pm

Andrew Martin wrote:NDI, might not be suitable. Its intended as a transport for video sources not as a distribution feed. Although it now support multicast, I think you might be limited depending on how many users ur wanting to see the feed.

Agreed. NDI is a transport protocol and not a delivery protocol... I read into the opening sentence that the use case was to deliver a video stream to a single (or very small number) of computers, though I should not have made that assumption.

One other option that I thought of which I didn't include was setting up your own internal streaming server. Wowza Streaming Engine is a premiere streaming server platform, and can be licensed and installed on a local server... you can set it up as an RTMP:// server and then have local clients receive their video feed from your local server instead of over the internet. I suspect that there are a number of other RTMP:// server applications out there as well, including some free ones, that could be implemented to deliver what you're looking for.
Brett Casadonte
ATEM 2 M/E, 1 M/E, TV Studio Pro 4k, BM URSA Broadcast, & Studio/Micro Studio Cameras

Andrew Martin

PostSun Mar 17, 2019 12:22 pm

Thanks for the quote and post Brett.

Although I think setting up a wowser streamer server is way overdriving this.
The provirbial sledge to crack a wall nut.
But I guess its dependant on how often a recurring need for this service.

A quick fix...
Its poss using VLC ( or ffmpeg, although that needs time invested learning how) to have it grab a feed from a capture card and feed that out onto a Lan via rtmp.

The intended viewer need only open a web browser and enter the VLC PC's IP address and chosen port no. to watch the feed. That's providing the viewers are using the same subgroup as the "streamer" on their network.

Brett Casadonte

PostSun Mar 17, 2019 7:28 pm

Andrew Martin wrote:Thanks for the quote and post Brett.

Although I think setting up a wowser streamer server is way overdriving this.
The provirbial sledge to crack a wall nut.
But I guess its dependant on how often a recurring need for this service.

A quick fix...
Its poss using VLC ( or ffmpeg, although that needs time invested learning how) to have it grab a feed from a capture card and feed that out onto a Lan via rtmp.

The intended viewer need only open a web browser and enter the VLC PC's IP address and chosen port no. to watch the feed. That's providing the viewers are using the same subgroup as the "streamer" on their network.

I was merely trying to provide a full set of options, not necessarily making a specific recommendation... lots of ways to do this depending on the requirements. VLC, NDI, internal streaming server, point-to-point encoding, Skype (or other video conferencing solution), Wirecast w/Rendezvous... some free, some not... just depends ultimately what the requirements are and short / longer term objectives. Many ways to skin a cat on this one.
Last edited by Brett Casadonte on Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brett Casadonte

Andrew Martin

PostSun Mar 17, 2019 7:30 pm

Yes of course, the more the better

GallerySienna

PostTue Mar 19, 2019 10:08 am

One other suggestion:

BMD WebPresenter -> Sienna Webcam for NDI -> Sienna NDI Weblink

This will present a URL with HLS stream which can be viewed on the LAN in a web browser by any device which supports HLS.

http://www.sienna-tv.com/ndi/webcamforndi.html

http://www.sienna-tv.com/ndi/ndiweblink.html

Return to Live Production